As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION - IN 3D!!!

• WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    Oh good, DCU Online is going to have dumbass, superfluous suits of armor, like every other MMO. And to think I was worried.

I think playing Ultima Online for years ruined all other MMOs for me. As a result of that game, I'm incapable of grinding for three months to get the Shoulderpads of Shazam, when I'd rather just have a buddy make me a suit of armor.

Dude. Be fucking thankful for this. The character creation has an option to make you look like a wanna-be batman and have a similar move set. There is literally a make me batman button, and a make me superman button, and a make me joker button, and a... well the game doesn't promote originality lets put it like that.

I'll take anything that lessons the amounts of evil clowns and guys in black tights...

It'll probably end up looking like the toy lines.
    201205128.jpg

Lol perfect find! Pretty dead on...

But still better than this!
    imag0241t.jpg

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I finally saw Apocalypse.

It was ok, and the storytelling was better than I thought it would be based on what was said here. I didn't recognize the name of the writer; it turns out he's not one of the DC Animated regular writers, but he wrote a number of major films for Disney in the 90s like Hunchback of Notre Dame and the Tarzan animated film, which makes sense because this one felt more like a movie in structure than the others have. Although it was not at all above average.

I was really bothered by 3 things, though:
    -That montage of Supergirl at the mall was just awful, and then when she broke a nail near the end of the film. That is just lame and sexist.
    -The whole Doomsday Clone army thing that a lot of you pointed out was just as stupid as you all made it sound. It made absolutely zero sense.
    -I was really happy that the darkseid plot had apparently ended with a wager from Batman. Darkseid stories are best when there is little fighting involved and it is based more on manipulation. So, I was really happy...

And then 5 minutes later, Superman and Supergirl get into a fight that's over 10 minutes long with Darkseid. That was fucking silly. At first I was only minorly bothered, because the context was so ridiculous I figured it'd be a dream sequence. Then it just got more and more ridiculous, and after a couple minutes I was just furious and the movie had fallen out of my favor. When you drag a fight scene out that long, it makes the villain look extremely ineffectual, and this was particularly true of Darkseid, who is supposed to be one of the most powerful, most cunning villains in the DCU.

So, yeah, it kind of sucked.

I never really get complaints about this movie. The story`s been in print for like, four years. People had well enough advance warning to know if it sucks and to stay away from an adaptation if they don`t like it.

Because they could have changed some stuff to make it better?

But it's pretty accurate to the comic (which was bad)

Garlic Bread on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    keith that is crazy talk

you aren't allowed to change things when you adapt stories for movies

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes didn't impress me. I enjoyed the various cameos, but characterization was thin or nonexistent and action scenes were a tad forgettable. This is largely because they had Graviton, a standard megalomaniacal type with no distinct traits, as the main villain. Also, Iron Man didn't have the character's characteristic rakishness, Wasp felt a bit like the stock female character who occasionally challenges the guys but never outshines them, Nick Fury is an amalgam of two versions of the character minus the appeal of both renditions, and Ant-Man barely endangered anyone's lives at all.

Thor's subplot regarding Asgard was mildly interesting, but he felt out of place since he was the only character with no prior relationship to SHIELD and therefore wasn't personally involved in the events. He probably should've been introduced to the team in a later episode, since that would have allowed them more time to react to the fact that he's, you know, a mythological figure.

All in all, it felt a bit like those Hulk VS films, but without the humor and brutality. Obviously they had to tone down the latter due to being a Disney show, but ideally they would have compensated by making the action more stylistic and the personalities stronger, like in Brave and the Bold.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2010
    Just watched crisis on two earths and what the fuck is with DC animated... I don't get it! Every DC character (the exception being the secret six) I couldn't care less about. But I love DC's animated movies, they're just so good.

Why does DC trump marvel in the animated department almost every time? Why can't we have a good avengers movie eh?

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

edited October 2010
    Secret Six?

Do you mean the Crime Syndicate of Amerika? If so, yeah, they're the highlight of the film. Batman has some good moments too, though.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2010
    Secret Six?

Do you mean the Crime Syndicate of Amerika? If so, yeah, they're the highlight of the film. Batman has some good moments too, though.

No I was saying I don't like DC characters. Superman, Wonderwoman, the flash, ect ect ect... with the exception of the secret six catman, deadshot, bane, ect. That's why I'm always so amazed that I like DC movies.

Although Owlman was pretty badass. "It doesn't matter"

I was surprised...
    At how willing batman was to kill though. He very knowingly killed two people... for some reason I thought he was spider-man'ishly against that. I don't know my batman lore too well though.

Wishpig on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Usually Batman never kills, in fact it's one of his things. He is certainly as against killing as Spidey.

Solar on
    edited October 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Usually Batman never kills, in fact it's one of his things. He is certainly as against killing as Spidey.

Ya thats what I thought...
    Certainly didn't seem the case in this movie though... he didn't even really hesitate

Wishpig on

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    Secret Six?

No I was saying I don't like DC characters. Superman, Wonderwoman, the flash, ect ect ect... with the exception of the secret six catman, deadshot, bane, ect. That's why I'm always so amazed that I like DC movies.

Although Owlman was pretty badass. "It doesn't matter"

I was surprised...
    At how willing batman was to kill though. He very knowingly killed two people... for some reason I thought he was spider-man'ishly against that. I don't know my batman lore too well though.
    I can't remember too much about the Johnny Quick scene, but Batman didn't kill Owlman. He knew that Owlman could easily save himself if he wanted to, but Owlman chose to die because it didn't matter.

Garlic Bread on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    I can't remember too much about the Johnny Quick scene, but Batman didn't kill Owlman. He knew that Owlman could easily save himself if he wanted to, but Owlman chose to die because it didn't matter.
    Heh, that sounds like a Joker-thing to do.

"Haha I made you kill me! That means I win!" *croaks*

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited October 2010
    Turambar wrote: »
    Heh, that sounds like a Joker-thing to do.

"Haha I made you kill me! That means I win!" *croaks*

Ya but that wasn't it at all...
    Owlman beleaved nothing mattered because everything has happened somewhere. Way he saw it, was somewhere he did abort the bomb and survived.

Of course the big plot hole is then somewhere someplace he would have blown up earth prime... which doesn't make sense.

Wishpig on

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Of course the big plot hole is then somewhere someplace he would have blown up earth prime... which doesn't make sense.
    Dwayne McDuffie, the writer on Two Earths, said in an interview that in his mind as soon as you get to "Earth Prime" it stops being "Earth Prime" for reasons which I forget and suspect don't make a lick of sense.

So, it's never stated in the movie, but the writer at least justified it to himself at some point.

LordSolarMacharius on
    edited October 2010
    If that's true, then it dramatically lessens the stakes of the story's primary conflict. Given that, it's understandable that they'd want to leave that plot point on the cutting room floor.

Still, could've played on the Bat-god trope by showing an infinite number of outcomes to the Owlman/Batman fight, each of which has Batman compensating for every variable and ultimately emerging victorious. This approach also would've validated the Justice League's seemingly irrational belief that, even in a crazy-universe where everyone is evil, good inevitably triumphs in the end.

Because who else thought that, the moment the team left, Ultraman was going to bust out and restore the status quo?

Robos A Go Go on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If that's true, then it dramatically lessens the stakes of the story's primary conflict. Given that, it's understandable that they'd want to leave that plot point on the cutting room floor.

Still, could've played on the Bat-god trope by showing an infinite number of outcomes to the Owlman/Batman fight, each of which has Batman compensating for every variable and ultimately emerging victorious. This approach also would've validated the Justice League's seemingly irrational belief that, even in a crazy-universe where everyone is evil, good always triumphs in the end.

Because who else thought that, the moment the team left, Ultraman was going to bust out and restore the status quo?

Not only did I think that, I was certain that if it sold well enough, it would be the launchpoint for a sequel of some sort.

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2010
    Ok just watched under the red hood

Is Jason that fucking badass in the comics too? He was a great character in the movie, but I've never really read a comic with him in it.

Wishpig on

edited October 2010
    he was in Batman: Under the Hood (which is the story the movie's based off) and is in the current mini Red Hood: The Lost Days (detailing the time between him being resurrected and becoming the Red Hood)

he's less so in the second Batman & Robin arc (Morrison wrote him completely differently than how Winick (who brought him back) does)

he was also in Countdown but that can be ignored

Garlic Bread on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How does Morrison write him?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought Todd was done pretty well by Morrison, he's more flashy and uses more showmanship in his kills. But it goes well with the new Red Hood persona that Morrison was introducing to the series. The only part I had a beef with was when Morrison suddenly made Jason a red head, claiming that Bruce had dyed Jason's hair to make him look more like Dick. It was was a little unnecessary addition to Todd's character.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And it made Bruce come off as rather abusive. That or Todd as really crazy

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How does Morrison write him?

Jason turned himself into a marketable vigilante, with catchy slogans and gimmicks
    Thane wrote: »
    And it made Bruce come off as rather abusive. That or Todd as really crazy

I figured that was Jason having too much pride to say that he loved Bruce so much that he died his hair to make himself seem more like Dick Grayson to impress him.

Tairu on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only part I had a beef with was when Morrison suddenly made Jason a red head, claiming that Bruce had dyed Jason's hair to make him look more like Dick. It was was a little unnecessary addition to Todd's character.

Apparently that's actually from Jason Todd's original original pre-Crisis origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Todd
    The initial version of Jason "Jay" Todd from before Crisis on Infinite Earths had an origin that was reminiscent[citation needed] of the 1940 origin of the first Robin, Dick Grayson.[3] Originally, like Grayson, Todd is the son of circus acrobats, Joseph and Trina Todd, killed by a criminal (Killer Croc) and is later adopted by Bruce Wayne.[15] Distinguished by strawberry blond hair (Grayson has black hair), Todd is wearing various pieces of Dick Grayson's old childhood disguises as costume to fight crime until Grayson presents him with a Robin costume of his own. At that point, Todd dyes his hair black, and in later stories blossoms under Batman's tutelage.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited October 2010
    yeah that's not new

although the part with "this helmet gives me acne" was weird

Garlic Bread on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, my favorite use of Todd post resurrection was Morrison's story as well.

MastaP on
    edited October 2010
    yeah that's not new

although the part with "this helmet gives me acne" was weird

It contributed to his image as a neurotic anti-hero, the anti-thesis of who Batman is supposed to be.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I also saw someone mention that Jason suffering from skin problems and changing his hair color, was supposed to be a parallel to the same thing happening to the Joker.

Munch on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can see that Munch, a nice contrast really.
    Joker was normal, but change himself/was changed.
    Jason felt abnormal, so he tried to imitate the perfect man/men.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Look, Batman just has specific taste in boys

Dorktron9000 on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Crisis on Two Earths is really great. Watched it, loved it, the fight scenes were really well put together and animated, especially Superwoman vs Wonder Woman ("Submit!"), and the overall writing and action was great. DC animation is really knocking some balls out of the park, and I hope they keep doing so.

Solar on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Crisis on Two Earths is really great. Watched it, loved it, the fight scenes were really well put together and animated, especially Superwoman vs Wonder Woman ("Submit!"), and the overall writing and action was great. DC animation is really knocking some balls out of the park, and I hope they keep doing so.

You haven't seen Superman/Batman Apocalypse yet have you?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited October 2010
    I hope that Showcase DVD with all the shorts on it does well, even if it's a rip off to anyone who bought the films those shorts originally came with.

At least you still get some Shazam out of it, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hope that Showcase DVD with all the shorts on it does well, even if it's a rip off to anyone who bought the films those shorts originally came with.

At least you still get some Shazam out of it, though.

The "Special Edition" DVDs are so barebones since Red Hood that I've stopped buying them. They save more than half of the featurettes and bonus episodes and stuff for the blu-ray edition, and skimp the DVD. I might get the special or combo-blu-ray of All Star, and then maybe of Emerald Warriors if the bonus content is cool, but after that I will probably be getting only the single discs.

So, I'll be grabbing those compilations from now on. I hope they make more, since we haven't heard anything about shorts for All Star and beyond.

HadjiQuest on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone know when a post-breakout episode of the Avengers cartoon will air? They wasted the last few airdates by airing the Minisodes put together in proper order instead.

edit: and it's embarrassing enough going to a friend's to watch the disney channel when it isn't a repeat!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone know when a post-breakout episode of the Avengers cartoon will air? They wasted the last few airdates by airing the Minisodes put together in proper order instead.

edit: and it's embarrassing enough going to a friend's to watch the disney channel when it isn't a repeat!

But it's Disney XD! Doesn't that make it more mature?

I mean, what the hell else could XD do?

Undead Scottsman on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wednesday

Furu on
    edited October 2010

Well... this weeks episode looks like another Hulk beats the crap out of Thor'athon.

Seriously, Ultimate Avengers, Hulk vs Thor, Planet Hulk (Beta Ray fight), and now the assured butt kicking this Wednesday. For once I'd like to see a fight between the two that wasn't painfully one-sided on TV/Movie. Hell, have the Hulk win, but have Thor dish out some major damage first.

Thor once again takes his place as the *this person is so tough they can beat a god* punching bag.

Wishpig on

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have 0.5 gigs of 15.5 gigs downloaded for the DCU Online beta. Anyone else get an e-mail invite?

Lux on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not yet, sadly. I did get an invite to the Lord of the Rings Online European stress test, so yay me.

Wildcat on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Well... this weeks episode looks like another Hulk beats the crap out of Thor'athon.

Seriously, Ultimate Avengers, Hulk vs Thor, Planet Hulk (Beta Ray fight), and now the assured butt kicking this Wednesday. For once I'd like to see a fight between the two that wasn't painfully one-sided on TV/Movie. Hell, have the Hulk win, but have Thor dish out some major damage first.

Thor once again takes his place as the *this person is so tough they can beat a god* punching bag.

Where's the sad trombone when you need it

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I finally got around to seeing Under the Red Hood. I have to say, if Winick had been able to keep a firmer grasp on the character, and every hack writer at DC hadn't thrown him into whatever cocked up story they wanted, I might like him more.

That said, that movie had some weird pacing issues, much like all the direct-to-DVD movies. And I'm still not sure why Nightwing popped up in the beginning, only for him to be missing from the rest of the movie.

Munch on