As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Max size of posts

AldoAldo Hippo HoorayRegistered User regular
I know I know, 'ask your money back', 'leave if you hate it', 'because we say so' etc etc. But could someone shed a little light on the reasoning behind limiting the size of posts to 32k characters? Is this the standard limit to vBulletin boards or was it set to this amount on purpose?

I've run into this limit a few times now, mostly because I'm wordy, love making lists and fail at making websites. I'm only wondering, I don't expect anyone to go "oh sorry bout that, lemme flip the switch for you". It's just frustrating after a while and I can't find information on it myself.

Aldo on

• Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It is a limitation vBulletin introduces to protect the server. It is both a security feature and an optimization feature. The webserver gives each page X seconds to complete before it kills it, as the size of posts increases so too will the time to generate webpages.

From a design standpoint, our interface is not suited for longform text. If you are writing longer prose, I suggest using something like google docs and then linking to it.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It is a limitation vBulletin introduces to protect the server. It is both a security feature and an optimization feature. The webserver gives each page X seconds to complete before it kills it, as the size of posts increases so too will the time to generate webpages.

From a design standpoint, our interface is not suited for longform text. If you are writing longer prose, I suggest using something like google docs and then linking to it.
    Thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot of sense. And it functions as another incentive to make my own website.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is the character limit different between subforums? I think I remember someone either saying that it was longer for posts in the Writer's Block, or asking that it be increased for posts in the Writer's Block.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've only seen the character limit on a single post once, which was when I was working on a thread I have running (see sig below). It took a long time to hit it, and I only really hit it because I go crazy with bbcode.

I didn't know the server gave out additional load time for when posts get longer, that's pretty cool.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is sorta kinda related and didn't want to make a whole new thread for it, but is there a limit on how many times a post can be edited? And what's the amount if there is?

Henroid on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember someone got banned for editing a shock site url into the hundredth edit on the same post.

Smasher on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2010
    I don't recall that. As far as I know there's no limit on edits, provided you aren't using the feature to do something annoying.

Tube on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    No limit on edits that I've ever seen over the six years posting here but there seems to be a time epoch/event horizon where the thread title will no longer change on the forum index for vBB.

FyreWulff on