As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Desired Hourly Rate of Pay"? Is this a trick question?

cooljammer00cooljammer00 HeySmall Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm looking at the online application for Toys R Us. One of the questions is how much I want to get paid an hour. What is the "right" answer, here? This is as a member of the sales team, so think...disaffected youth just working there on weekends or something.

edit: Minimum wage in my state is $7.25, mind you.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
cooljammer00 on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    $26.50.

With full benefits.

In seriousness, though...do you have work experience? What was your wage at your last job? Off the top of my head, and not knowing the answer to the preceding questions, I'd say something above the minimum (suggesting you think you're worth more), but nothing too high...maybe $8?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My sister just got hired at Toys R Us a few weeks ago and was basically offered minimum wage, take it or leave it. Just a heads up in case you didn't know - Anyone getting hired at TRU right now is probably only getting seasonal work and will be let go after Christmas.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What my old manager told me at CVS is that they do that, so that people can low ball themselves. They want the job, and they don't want to scare the hiring people off by putting some huge number. So even if they have 20 years experience in retail, and they'll usually end up putting less than what they actually feel they deserve.

Say Toys'R'Us can hire you at 9$ hour max, if you have the previous experience to warrent 9$ an hour, but they ask you what you think you should be making, and you say min wage is 7.25 but you put $8 an hour. They'll probably give you the 8$ an hour, then tell you that they had to fight to get it for you.

So yes, it's a trick question.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    any job that's ever had that I find, has admitted it's irrelevant, and they have their own system (your position, MAYBE your experience) to determine what to pay you.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    any job that's ever had that I find, has admitted it's irrelevant, and they have their own system (your position, MAYBE your experience) to determine what to pay you.

Yeah, like EWom said the most it does is set a ceiling for you pay (as they're unlikely to pay you more than you put).

Though I'd argue that, depending on the place, some may pass on an applicant that puts something unreasonably high. But only if it's something, like, crazy high.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Acebgd12Acebgd12 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I filled out the same application a couple years ago for the same job at TRU and got the job. I think I put $9? It didn't actually matter. Just don't put something ridiculous.

Acebgd12 on
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Put "Negotiable" Then discuss it at the end of the interview.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The trick answer for the trick question, I like.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I had a professor at school who said to never put this on an app. It makes you look like you don't know what you're worth

Just be honest about what's the best you could hope they would give you.

NotYou on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    NotYou wrote: »

I had a professor at school who said to never put this on an app. It makes you look like you don't know what you're worth

This is to be a cashier or something at Toys R Us, not a career.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The trick answer for the trick question, I like.

You can do this for any job by the way.

For future job lookers, do some research on how much people make in the field you're going in. Then when you go in you have a good idea if they're lowballing you, giving a great wage, or being dicks.

For instance, you look up and find that an sales rep in the area is pulling in $40K plus commission. You go in for the interview and you put negotiable on the app. Then he asks, "So, how much do you think?" you can say, "Well, I'm open for negotiation on this, how much would you be willing to pay someone with my experience?"

If he tries to trap you again, always upsell yourself by at least 10-15%. They will always try to pay less than what you quote so if you quote what you find, you'll often get paid less. It's worked for me, anyways.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I always answer "negotiable" on any paperwork like that. Salary requirements are for after the interview.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    NotYou wrote: »

You may also end up lowballing yourself from a company that pays it's employees a mint.

Maybe you're from NY and you've made $50,000 in your field and find a job in San Fran and put $80,000 for your cost of living increase and that's what salary.com told you. But maybe that company pays employees $120,000. You've just lowballed yourself by a shit ton.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In a way it's the hardest question in a job application, because there ISN'T a "right answer". You never know whether you're lowballing yourself or not.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if it's as applicable in an hourly situation, either, but often times you want to have more of a conversation about anticipated job duties before negotiating a salary. You might only be worth $70k/yr for the basic title you're applying for, but then you could discover that you might be doing supplementary work with another skill, increasing your value.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I don't know if it's as applicable in an hourly situation, either, but often times you want to have more of a conversation about anticipated job duties before negotiating a salary. You might only be worth $70k/yr for the basic title you're applying for, but then you could discover that you might be doing supplementary work with another skill, increasing your value.

This guy.

bowen on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When it comes to negotiating a salary, the first party to give a number loses. This is why most companies now ask you to give a figure on your application.

I second writing "negotiable" and waiting until the interview before you discuss salary.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have always just put a hyphen mark in there and left it blank. Negotiable works too. You can talk pay when you get into the interview and have a better idea of the workload, expectations, and benefits.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, the application has the space to fill it out (in the format of 0.00, without a dollar sign)

Not sure if I can put negotiable, but I'll give it a shot.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe this will help: Toys R Us just called me for a position and told me what they pay.
    (I live in Georgia)

Day position (customer service) pays around $7.90 while overnight stock pays $8.65.

tardcore on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe go through and ask one of the employees on the sly what they earn.

be honest with them about why you are asking etc.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tardcore wrote: »
    Maybe this will help: Toys R Us just called me for a position and told me what they pay.
    (I live in Georgia)

Day position (customer service) pays around $7.90 while overnight stock pays $8.65.

I'd take the overnight stock if it works for your life.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    While I don't work for Toys R Us, the place I do work for has this section as well. I think how your answer is received largely depends on who's reading the application. When I'm looking over apps with my boss, sometimes the desired wage is 50 to 100% higher than what we offer. It gives us a good laugh, but it doesn't stop us from calling people with a good application. We can't offer them that much, but the worst outcome is the person says they aren't interested in accepting our pay rate.

jedikuonji on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I always put a ridiculous number here. Like if I know for a fact the place is going to pay... for example, $12 an hour, I'll still put $25.

I don't know if this is the smartest thing to do, but thats what I do. I've never had to do this when applying to a job I really wanted though.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When applying for a job as a cashier at Michael's I put the minimum wage level in that slot

during my interview the boss saw that and smiled and said "Well we pay a bit more than that"

a bit more was fucking right. $7.50 an hour

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Figure out how much Bill Gates makes an hour. Double it. Add "OBO".

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Figure out how much Bill Gates makes an hour. Double it. Add "OBO".

Alternately, "$texas."

mcdermott on