As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX Out Now! Ghost ridin' the train! 10/10 at IGN!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    More maps! MOAR.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lots of ghosts sound cool. Wonder what colors they'll be?

But Pacman with bombs and bullet(/ghost)-time sounds really weird. I think I'm going to wait for RainbowDespair's stamp of approval on this one.

Rex Dart on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also I'm happy this one's coming to PSN as well

I'll likely buy it for both because I'm a whore, but if I can use a (good) D-pad with this game, that's something I'd like to try

UnbreakableVow on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sold. Pac-Man CE was one of my favoriet XBLA games, and this one sounds wonderful.

It will be mine.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'm not entirely sold, but I'm pleased that this isn't just a port of the iPhone version.

Consider me cautiously optimistic. In any case, short of a sudden case of hoboism, I'll be buying the game on day 1, and posting my impressions here and on our website.

EDIT: There's that new 360 controller which is supposed to have a new type of D-Pad, so you could get the game + that.

RainbowDespair on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A+++++++ WILL BUY AGAIN

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can finally play this?
    Buying.
    Long overdue.

Xagarath on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will be getting in buckets of ice cold cider for that PM:CE DX.

That's my biggest momory of the first one, great times, lots of cider, and chasing high scores.

Moar ghosts sounds quality.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sold.

I've not even read the details yet, but sold.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i am intensely hyped for this, yes.

Ah_Pook on
    edited September 2010
    Read the article.

I want Hanna-Barbera Pac-Man, Chef Boyardee Pac-Man, and Cereal Pac-Man that looks like a yellow marshmallow and the maze is filled with cereal.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    More info from IGN. This is sounding better and better.
    The IGN Editors have a new obsession. No, it's not Fallout: New Vegas; it's not Fable III; it's not Halo: Reach. It's Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, the follow-up to 2007's Championship Edition. The original is pretty much the perfect Xbox Live Arcade game, so it may be hard to believe DX is actually even better. Really, it is. We got our first look at Pac-Man DX last month, but now we have the full game here in the office and productivity is at an all-time low. We'll get to our Call of Duty: Black Ops review after just one more try at the high score here…

The core gameplay remains unchanged: these are timed games where you're not so much concerned with staying alive as you are with getting as high a score as possible before the clock stops. So what makes Pac-Man Championship Edition DX so amazing?

Ghosts 'n Stuff
    Traditionally, Pac-Man has only had to contend with four ghosts chasing after him. In DX, dozens, maybe hundreds will be on his tail. Ghosts are found sleeping around the maze and will wake up and chase after Pac-Man when he passes by. The longer you wait to eat a Power Pellet, the longer the ghost train will become. Finally chowing down on a conga line of ghosts is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences you'll have this year. While you earn points for eating dots and fruit, too, the biggest chunk of your score will come from your ghost intake.

Way More Content
    The original Championship Edition was centered on the Championship course with a couple extra courses thrown in for good measure. DX includes ten courses, most of which are brand new.

* Championship II: An updated version of the Championship course from the first game.
    * Championship I: The original Championship course.
    * Highway: An updated version of the Extra-1 course from Championship Edition.
    * Junction: A new course with many warp zones.
    * Spiral: A new course with several whirly bits.
    * Manhattan: Namco wants to keep this one a secret for now.
    * Free Manhattan: Another secret!
    * Dungeon: New course where it's easy to find yourself trapped by the ghost train.
    * Half: New course with cookies placed on just the left half. This one will take some thinking.
    * Darkness: New course for skilled players where only the areas around cookies and ghosts are visible.

Retro Skins
    Pac-Man Championship Edition DX lets you choose from a variety of map and character visual styles in every game. Want to play a round with the 3D look of 1987's Pac-Mania? Or a pixilated Pac-Man? You can. Some of the options may be a little impractical if you're serious about your high score (they may be distracting), but they all look great.

Play with a Pac-Mania skin if you like.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX will be out soon on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. Fingers crossed for a $10 price tag.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/112/1129963p1.html

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Best game ever made better?

I'm on this like my hand on my dick.

Magic Pink on
    edited October 2010
    Yeeeessssss

Cantido on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yea, I'll be buying this.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I need to get more use out of my modded Street Fighter IV SE stick so I'll be picking this up, possibly with the money I get from the October promotion

joshofalltrades on
    edited October 2010
    Is there a date on this yet? Aside: Can I hate more about how horribly hard it is to get a release date for ANYTHING on Live or PSN?

Magic Pink on
    edited October 2010
    Nov. 17, according to IGN.

cloudeagle on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If 'Manhattan' mode looks like a Mondrian painting, I will be pleased.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nov 17

yes. yes. this game will definitely suck me away from codblops for a while.

Ah_Pook on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    edited November 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Nov. 17, according to IGN.

Poor Ezio

His limelight stolen by an incomplete pizza

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    cloudeagle on
    edited November 2010
    Metal Gear Pacman!
    Pacman Epic Yarn!

This game has everything!

Cantido on
    edited November 2010
    That trailer is some hot sex.

Magic Pink on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Major Nelson put up this month's XBLA schedule last week and this wasn't on the list, so I was afraid it was pushed back. But it is coming out on Wednesday.

Sweet.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bleh, I won't be able to play this game until the end of the month since I'm really busy with development stuff. Consider this my gift to all of you leaderboard chasers - I'm giving you a 2 week headstart. Not that it'll matter in the long run...MWAHAHAHA!

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure you're the only one ahead of me on my friends leaderboard

So thank you for this gift

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    Has anyone discussed the story ramifications this will have on the series canon?

I mean, seriously: what are all these new ghosts' names? They can't just be nameless! They just can't!

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    edited November 2010
    They're ghosts of the ghosts you ate. Every time you munch Pinky, he poops a ghost.

Or something.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Legacy wrote: »
    Major Nelson put up this month's XBLA schedule last week and this wasn't on the list, so I was afraid it was pushed back. But it is coming out on Wednesday.

Sweet.

Yeeeeesss.

I need to dust off my SFIV fightpad.

Cantido on
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How much is this puppy going to run me on PSN?

Sangheili91 on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    They're ghosts of the ghosts you ate. Every time you munch Pinky, he poops a ghost.

Or something.

this actually made me LOL

now I feel dumb

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited November 2010
    How much is this puppy going to run me on PSN?

Does it matter?
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Or something.

this actually made me LOL

now I feel dumb

SUCCESS

Magic Pink on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so I never bought Pac-man CE for XBLA and recently almost got it for the spend 2400 spacebucks and get 800 in return deal. I didn't get it as I saw this game was coming out. Is there every any reason for me to get the original Pac-man CE if I intend on getting DX?

thinking we may see it on sale soon also during the xmas sales or even sooner

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited November 2010
    so I never bought Pac-man CE for XBLA and recently almost got it for the spend 2400 spacebucks and get 800 in return deal. I didn't get it as I saw this game was coming out. Is there every any reason for me to get the original Pac-man CE if I intend on getting DX?

thinking we may see it on sale soon also during the xmas sales or even sooner

Considering this new Pac-Man replicates most of the original's modes, I'd say no.

cloudeagle on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Goddamnit, Pac-Man. I need to finish two lit papers by next Tuesday, and you go and do this to me. :( I think I should unplug my 360 and pack it into the closet, because otherwise I'll feel the need to inject this directly into my heart.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited November 2010
    I finished my last program for the semester, so I get to celebrate tomorrow.

Cantido on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    XiaNaphryz on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tomorrow? Will buy.

corin7 on