As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

15657586062

Posts

  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the main thing that can be taken away from the fight is the fact that Brock really needs to work on his striking. That's always been the weakest part of his game since day 1. Not surprising since he comes from a wrestling background. His striking did look improved in this fight, though. He came out throwing a lot of stuff at Cain. He caught him with a pretty solid knee early in the first round and a few of his punches found their mark.

    With his size, power and wrestling acumen, there really isn't any reason for his training camps to involve much ground work. At most, they should be working on submission defense and a few simple submissions until his striking can prepare him for guys like Cain and JDS. I know he likes to keep to himself and he has his own gym and coaches, but he should head to Golden Glory for 4-6 months after he heals and just work completely on striking. He could come back late spring or early summer next year and be a completely new fighter.

    Fact is, his size doesn't matter if he gets swarmed and TKOd before he can take guys down and beat them. His striking has definitely improved since he first started 2 1/2 years ago, but it's something he still needs major work on if he's going to be champion again.

    And for God's sake Lesnar, quit turning your head away from people. If you want to have punches miss you, you have options. You can bob. You can weave. You can slip. You can cover up. You can side step. You can change levels. The one thing you don't do, however, is turn your head away from your opponent in any way. Because when you do that, you can't see him. Fixing that should be your first step.

    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I agree that Brock needs to be better at not turning away when he's under fire. Like, a lot better.

    I doubt that Cain went intentionally for those spots, but he hit them and they had effect.

    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damnit, I have to give respect to B:L for noticing the left uppercut Lesnar ate while attempting the takedown before the ballerina roll.

    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    Congrats to Spectrum as our PAFCR2 champion!
    *ahem*

    I FINISH FIGHTS!

    :mrgreen:

    Yeah congrats, I just wish I put up more of a fight in the finale :(

    Snarfmaster on
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    33 points from picks is what happens when I pick who I "want" to win rather than who I "know" will win.

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    sigh 2 days later i've come to terms with brock's loss but dammit i cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell happened to gonzaga and why he fought the way he did. Can't really blame it on his corner as they pretty much told him after the second that he needs to finish the fight, but he still fought like he won the first two rounds and had nothing to worry about

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I love it when crazy shit happens in MMA. Who doesn't love Sonnen's Ninja Roll?

    There was a "highlight" on last week's Inside MMA where some fat guy in the minors did 2 of those in a row. It was great.


    B:L wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    And that the UFC is rigged because Herb Dean absolutely refused to warn Cain even once.

    Dana White sure didn't look like it was rigged, he looked depressed.

    http://i53.tinypic.com/2j3fk84.jpg

    He didn't sound happy either.
    Every dog has his day.

    Dana knows which fighters pay the UFC's rent, and it's not guys from AKA. Even for all the promoting of Cain as the first Mexican HW champ, Dana knows that he doesn't have an MMA version of Julio Caesar Chavez - Cain is American. His tattoo isn't even in Spanish.
    Carlos Mencia.

    I'm not aware of Mencia's audience even being mostly Latino, let alone Mexican.

    The promotion can push the angle all they want, but among Mexican fight fans there's a distinct difference between Mexican and Mexican-American. Oscar de la Hoya, for example, was never considered Mexican.

    Tito Ortiz is Mexican-American, he didn't bring in a flood of Mexican fans to the UFC, despite carrying a Mexican flag into the ring and wearing green-white-red shirts.

    BubbaT on
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My wife cracked up when Cain said "A todos los latinos.... we did it."

    We don't think he knows enough Spanish to finish that sentence.

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh wow...

    So this is why GSP and "Genghis Khan/Batman" have a crazy, drunk french man as part of their training...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDTuFKqhafM

    :shock:

    Damn, if only Kos had managed to piss this guy off... :lol:

    CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Damnit, I have to give respect to B:L for noticing the left uppercut Lesnar ate while attempting the takedown before the ballerina roll.

    Not to give you a hard time, but how did you miss that? I was nearly out of my seat when I saw that land at the bar. In my mind that was the most important blow of the whole fight. Brock ate a couple shots earlier in the round, but that one hurt him very badly; he never recovered for the entire rest of the fight. That one was directly on the chin, big power, and Lesnar was moving right into it. I was amazed Lesnar didn't fall flat on his face after eating that.


    fake edit: ok watching that part of the fight again I can see how you'd miss it, it wasn't a big movement on Cains part and Lesnar was already changing levels and moving forward so hard to see him get knocked backwards or anything.

    [Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Plus the camera was in the exact wrong spot to catch that particular punch. Lesnar's body is obscuring Cain's hands.

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was watching that episode thinking man, Koscheck has no idea what's about to happen to him and it's going to be glorious.

    Poor Brock. His giant square head could only protect him for so long.

    Peen on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Damnit, I have to give respect to B:L for noticing the left uppercut Lesnar ate while attempting the takedown before the ballerina roll.

    Not to give you a hard time, but how did you miss that? I was nearly out of my seat when I saw that land at the bar. In my mind that was the most important blow of the whole fight. Brock ate a couple shots earlier in the round, but that one hurt him very badly; he never recovered for the entire rest of the fight. That one was directly on the chin, big power, and Lesnar was moving right into it. I was amazed Lesnar didn't fall flat on his face after eating that.


    fake edit: ok watching that part of the fight again I can see how you'd miss it, it wasn't a big movement on Cains part and Lesnar was already changing levels and moving forward so hard to see him get knocked backwards or anything.

    I'm going to have to agree that the uppercut was the most significant strike of fight.

    And I totally fucking missed it several times - and quite a few of those were in slow motion even. I guess when you're looking for shots to the back of the head, shots to the back of the head is what you're going to see.

    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the most significant strike is the one at 2:18 when Cain hits the base of Brock's skull. Brock has nothing after that. It also seems likely that whatever strikes Brock absorbed when Cain took him down at about 2:55 shook him up bad enough that he couldn't recover right.
    I'd say that was the shot that absolutely ended the fight for Brock, but I felt the fight changing shots were the ones to the back of the head at around 2:46 onwards. Brock was clearly shaking and turning his head and he lost his composure, entering survival mode. That's what opened up the opportunity for the huge uppercut, knee, and behind the head straight right.

    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Damnit, I have to give respect to B:L for noticing the left uppercut Lesnar ate while attempting the takedown before the ballerina roll.

    Not to give you a hard time, but how did you miss that? I was nearly out of my seat when I saw that land at the bar. In my mind that was the most important blow of the whole fight. Brock ate a couple shots earlier in the round, but that one hurt him very badly; he never recovered for the entire rest of the fight. That one was directly on the chin, big power, and Lesnar was moving right into it. I was amazed Lesnar didn't fall flat on his face after eating that.
    Lesnar didn't fall flat on his face because of his adamantium chin.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    My wife cracked up when Cain said "A todos los latinos.... we did it."

    We don't think he knows enough Spanish to finish that sentence.

    He regularly goes on Spanish-language talk shows. If you watch the UFC Primetimes, you can hear him clearly speaking fluent Spanish.

    Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    My wife cracked up when Cain said "A todos los latinos.... we did it."

    We don't think he knows enough Spanish to finish that sentence.

    He regularly goes on Spanish-language talk shows. If you watch the UFC Primetimes, you can hear him clearly speaking fluent Spanish.

    It was a joke pointing out how hilarious some of the marketing of this whole situation is. I don't actually think that after being born in the US to Mexican immigrants and being raised in Arizona that he doesn't speak Spanish.

    It's just grasping at straws for everyone involved- Dana, Cain, etc.

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i simply don't see all those illegal punches early; i have rewatched the fight, now.

    the punch that sends him to the ground is clearly illegal, at 2:18, but there wasn't much at all before that- maybe one punch when they were on the ground around 2:45 was kind of back of the head, but it was borderline- more like the back of the side. the rest were clean, including the short hook that precipitated the double somersault.

    brock outstruck him early but once cain landed several shots- the 2:45 g'n'p, and the tight hook before the somersault, it was the beginning of the end.

    which isn't to say 'he definitely would have finished him anyway, even if not for the illegal strikes', but it seems clear that cain's legit striking and g'n'p shook lesnar enough to send him on the run... we can conclude that cain hits hard, or brock has a weak chin. i don't think the latter is true, so i'll go with the former.

    Organichu on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    His spanish sounded pretty broken when he gave his univision interview in the first episode of UFC primetime. He also reverted to english rather quickly in the LA rally in the 3rd episode. He seems like most of the mexican american kids i know in the bay area. They can understand spanish very well but their syntax and vocabulary arent very complicated and come out very basic when posed questions that require complex answers. He basically knows enough spanish to converse with family (which ultimately due to the nature of the relationships involves mostly yes/no questions and answers) but he's most comfortable operating in english and probably thinks in english like the rest of us children of immigrants :P

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha, so maybe we weren't too far off. :rotate:

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not disputing the hit to the back of the head, but shouldn't Brock said something about it after the fight?
    First off, Brock is dumb as flock.

    Secondly, he probably doesn't even realize what happened, he was too out of it to notice.


    And who would believe him? Even here, where I would consider the folks to be a more educated MMA fan than average, no one noticed the shots until I pointed them out, and no one believed me until I posted evidence. Looking online, the only other comment I can find about it is:

    "Seriously guys, if John had been ref, he would have caught the 13 times that brock got hit in the back of the head."

    From some comment on some streaming site. You can't find commentary on this on legitimate sites, and certainly not in Yahoo's "UFC" articles. Try to find one legitimate article talking about these shots, besides this hilariously incompetent report that casually mentions that "Velasquez dropped an elbow on the back of Lesnar’s head" as if nothing was wrong:

    http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/Brock-Lesnar-not-so-bad-UFC-Mark-Kriegel-102310


    The majority of UFC fans didn't notice, and the media isn't going to push the case. Only the experienced would have noticed those shots on the first watching, and few others would rewatch the video and notice it without it being pointed out.

    And as mentioned, it would make Brock into a sore loser so that would be a marketing mistake as well.

    Organichu wrote: »
    the rest were clean, including the short hook that precipitated the double somersault.
    That hook missed.

    Just because you didn't see the illegal shots doesn't mean they're not there. At 2:46 onwards there are at least three shots to the back of the head while they were on the ground.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the most significant strike is the one at 2:18 when Cain hits the base of Brock's skull. Brock has nothing after that. It also seems likely that whatever strikes Brock absorbed when Cain took him down at about 2:55 shook him up bad enough that he couldn't recover right.
    I'd say that was the shot that absolutely ended the fight for Brock, but I felt the fight changing shots were the ones to the back of the head at around 2:46 onwards. Brock was clearly shaking and turning his head and he lost his composure, entering survival mode. That's what opened up the opportunity for the huge uppercut, knee, and behind the head straight right.

    There were definitely shots to the back of the head while Brock was on the ground and he's not the same when he gets up, I agree.

    From about 2:46 to 2:45 I count three lefts from Cain, two of which where to the back of the head. Then at 2:43 there's a big old right to the back of the head.

    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i certainly noticed the shot to the back of the head on first viewing. i certainly disagree, though, that it's the only way cain hurt him.

    Organichu on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the most significant strike is the one at 2:18 when Cain hits the base of Brock's skull. Brock has nothing after that. It also seems likely that whatever strikes Brock absorbed when Cain took him down at about 2:55 shook him up bad enough that he couldn't recover right.
    I'd say that was the shot that absolutely ended the fight for Brock, but I felt the fight changing shots were the ones to the back of the head at around 2:46 onwards. Brock was clearly shaking and turning his head and he lost his composure, entering survival mode. That's what opened up the opportunity for the huge uppercut, knee, and behind the head straight right.

    There were definitely shots to the back of the head while Brock was on the ground and he's not the same when he gets up, I agree.

    From about 2:46 to 2:45 I count three lefts from Cain, two of which where to the back of the head. Then at 2:43 there's a big old right to the back of the head.

    the left at 2:46 skims off the back of the head. the next slides along the front of the face, and the third hits the side. the right is very, very borderline- millimeters from the ear.

    i guess y'all have a lot more stringent ideas of what constitutes a punch to the back of the head than i do. the 2:18 straight that sends him down is a blatant, crisp punch to the base of the skull. the g'n'p before that, though, is very nominally borderline.

    Organichu on
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the most significant strike is the one at 2:18 when Cain hits the base of Brock's skull. Brock has nothing after that. It also seems likely that whatever strikes Brock absorbed when Cain took him down at about 2:55 shook him up bad enough that he couldn't recover right.
    I'd say that was the shot that absolutely ended the fight for Brock, but I felt the fight changing shots were the ones to the back of the head at around 2:46 onwards. Brock was clearly shaking and turning his head and he lost his composure, entering survival mode. That's what opened up the opportunity for the huge uppercut, knee, and behind the head straight right.

    There were definitely shots to the back of the head while Brock was on the ground and he's not the same when he gets up, I agree.

    From about 2:46 to 2:45 I count three lefts from Cain, two of which where to the back of the head. Then at 2:43 there's a big old right to the back of the head.

    the left at 2:46 skims off the back of the head. the next slides along the front of the face, and the third hits the side. the right is very, very borderline- millimeters from the ear.

    i guess y'all have a lot more stringent ideas of what constitutes a punch to the back of the head than i do. the 2:18 straight that sends him down is a blatant, crisp punch to the base of the skull. the g'n'p before that, though, is very nominally borderline.
    Stringest as in the California Athletic Commission's definition:

    calbackofhead.jpg

    Headphones, not your Mohawk.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    that is the exact guideline i'm going by, also.

    several of the 'back of the head' shots are right above the ear. i'd hardly call them rear of the cranium.

    Organichu on
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Thrilling Conclusion Of:
    Penny Arcade Fight Club Round 2 (PAFCR2)

    Final Standings!
    Position Name
    Record Points
    01. Spectrum
    (4-0)
    02. Snarfmaster
    (3-1)
    03. B:L
    (3-1)
    04. Barbatus
    (2-2)
    05. facetious / Chagrin
    (4-1)
    06. MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI
    (3-2)
    07. A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo--(3-2)
    08. adytum
    (2-3)
    09. 815165
    (1-2) (202)
    10. Organichu
    (1-2) (175)
    11. SweeneyTom
    (1-2) (142)
    12. sportzboytjw
    (1-2) (141)
    13. moleface
    (0-2) (137)
    14. doug_grammar / chokehead
    (0-2) (97)
    15. Zzulu
    (0-2) (95)
    16. Peen / Tw1tch
    (0-2) (86)
    17. TehSpectre
    (2-0)
    18. Star
    (1-1)
    19. Metal Jared
    (1-1)
    20. ChillyWilly
    (0-2)

    Bout 6 Results
    10/23/2010 @ UFC 121

    Winners Bracket

    Championship Match! (1st & 2nd Place)
    Spectrum (4-0) (57) vs. Snarfmaster (3-1) (23)

    Runner-Up Match! (3rd & 4th Place)
    Barbatus (2-2) (51) vs. B:L (3-1) (62)

    The Losers Bracket

    Redemption Match! (5th & 6th Place)
    MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (3-2) (23) vs. facetious / Chagrin (4-1) (61)

    Consolation Match! (7th & 8th Place)
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (3-2) (52) vs. adytum (2-3) (33)

    Brackets

    The Winners Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166
    Position Name
    Record Points
    01. Spectrum
    (4-0)
    02. Snarfmaster
    (3-1)
    03. B:L
    (3-1)
    04. Barbatus
    (2-2)

    The Losers Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166&tclass=Losers
    Position Name
    Record Points
    05. facetious / Chagrin
    (4-1)
    06. MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI
    (3-2)
    07. A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo--(3-2)
    08. adytum
    (2-3)
    09. 815165
    (1-2) (202)
    10. Organichu
    (1-2) (175)
    11. SweeneyTom
    (1-2) (142)
    12. sportzboytjw
    (1-2) (141)
    13. moleface
    (0-2) (137)
    14. doug_grammar / chokehead
    (0-2) (97)
    15. Zzulu
    (0-2) (95)
    16. Peen / Tw1tch
    (0-2) (86)

    The Elimination Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166&tclass=Elimination
    Position Name
    Record Points
    17. TehSpectre
    (2-0)
    18. Star
    (1-1)
    19. Metal Jared
    (1-1)
    20. ChillyWilly
    (0-2)

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    that is the exact guideline i'm going by, also.

    several of the 'back of the head' shots are right above the ear. i'd hardly call them rear of the cranium.
    back05.jpg

    Refs have paused fights for less.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    I'm not disputing the hit to the back of the head, but shouldn't Brock said something about it after the fight?
    First off, Brock is dumb as flock.

    Secondly, he probably doesn't even realize what happened, he was too out of it to notice.


    And who would believe him? Even here, where I would consider the folks to be a more educated MMA fan than average, no one noticed the shots until I pointed them out, and no one believed me until I posted evidence. Looking online, the only other comment I can find about it is:

    "Seriously guys, if John had been ref, he would have caught the 13 times that brock got hit in the back of the head."

    From some comment on some streaming site. You can't find commentary on this on legitimate sites, and certainly not in Yahoo's "UFC" articles. Try to find one legitimate article talking about these shots, besides this hilariously incompetent report that casually mentions that "Velasquez dropped an elbow on the back of Lesnar’s head" as if nothing was wrong:

    http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/Brock-Lesnar-not-so-bad-UFC-Mark-Kriegel-102310


    The majority of UFC fans didn't notice, and the media isn't going to push the case. Only the experienced would have noticed those shots on the first watching, and few others would rewatch the video and notice it without it being pointed out.

    And as mentioned, it would make Brock into a sore loser so that would be a marketing mistake as well.

    Organichu wrote: »
    the rest were clean, including the short hook that precipitated the double somersault.
    That hook missed.

    Just because you didn't see the illegal shots doesn't mean they're not there. At 2:46 onwards there are at least three shots to the back of the head while they were on the ground.

    Discussion about the punch was all over Sherdog actually. Most of the threads detailing the subject seemed to conclude with a big "no one cares", so there wasn't much actual discussion

    It's probably the first place to go if you want to discuss some obscure MMA stuff. Most people there are pretty annoying though

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I could not possibly have done worst in this PAFC, I'm thinking I should retire from MMA picks and stick to the NFL. I'll embarass myself less :lol:

    B:L Brock's many things but dumb isn't one. He's one of the savviest self promoters out there, bar none.

    Peen on
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Discussion about the punch was all over Sherdog actually

    It's probably the first place to go if you want to discuss some obscure MMA
    Hahah, way too many trolls on Sherdog and Bullshido to have any semblance of intelligent discussion.

    Despite the vehemently aggressive rhetoric I get here when I present facts, I'd consider this place more open minded than there.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Discussion about the punch was all over Sherdog actually

    It's probably the first place to go if you want to discuss some obscure MMA
    Hahah, way too many trolls on Sherdog and Bullshido to have any semblance of intelligent discussion.

    Despite the vehemently aggressive rhetoric I get here when I present facts, I'd consider this place more open minded than there.

    Sherdog is good for gifs, photoshops, and aggregating news from the various MMA wesbistes and that's it.

    BubbaT on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    b:l, that is a millisecond after the shot lands- it's deceptive.

    here is the shot being thrown:

    punchbeingthrown.png

    here is where it lands, millimeters behind the ear if at all:

    punchlanding.png

    here is brock turning away after the punch has been delivered:

    recoil.png

    i'm not disputing that some illegal punches were thrown in that match, but these screens are not really accurate. 'fights have been stopped for less', sure, because every ref is different. but making it sound like brock's chin is invincible and cain wailed away on the back of his head for half of the match to eventually wear him down is misleading.

    Organichu on
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    b:l, that is a millisecond after the shot lands- it's deceptive.

    here is the shot being thrown:

    punchbeingthrown.png

    here is where it lands, millimeters behind the ear if at all
    What the crap, Ochu.

    You can't even see the side of Lesnar's face. It's not vulnerable.

    Where the hell do you expect a shot at that angle to hit, when the tip of the ear is barely visible?

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I believe Brocks chin is great. I'm not sure his chin was ever in question here, especially since he's never been KO'd. His ability to cope under pressure (punches) is a whole different story, though. Fighters with similiar issues; Bob Sapp, Frank Mir.

    Mainly, people were just discussing if Cain has pillow hands or not. I personally think it looks like Cain hits really hard, and he's been TKOing people left and right.

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the ear is a valid target, b:l

    almost every ground and pounder fight like this, when the chin is tucked- alternating fights beneath the arm, and skimming along the arm to hit the ear

    Organichu on
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    the ear is a valid target, b:l

    almost every ground and pounder fight like this, when the chin is tucked- alternating fights beneath the arm, and skimming along the arm to hit the ear
    Behind the ear isn't.

    You can barely see the tip of the back of Brock's ear. At that angle his arm is blocking off every shot except one to the back of his head.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Organichu, to me your second picture is exactly a picture of Cain hitting Brock with an illegal shot to the back of the head.

    Thanks for posting pics, though.

    Edit:
    I circled what to me seems to be Brock's ear. If it is, that punch is clearly illegal.

    brocksear.png

    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Organichu, to me your second picture is exactly a picture of Cain hitting Brock with an illegal shot to the back of the head.

    Thanks for posting pics, though.
    It's some crazy form of cognitive dissonance. That shot is the clearest ground shot to the back of the head out of the whole bunch.

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I believe Brocks chin is great. I'm not sure his chin was ever in question here, especially since he's never been KO'd. His ability to cope under pressure (punches) is a whole different story, though.

    Mainly, people were just discussing if Cain has pillow hands or not. I personally think it looks like Cain hits really hard, and he's been TKOing people left and right.

    pretty much

    that's all i'm really saying- what b:l is arguing for is a total stretch

    guy stops almost everyone he fights, often spectacularly, usually early, including guys like nog and o'brien and lesnar and stojnic who are rarely put away with puncehs

    i've heard, from various mma people (re: sherdoggers, usually):

    -his previous opponents were sick
    -he hits 'too fast', not hard at all
    -rothwell is fat, nog is old
    -he only managed to stun lesnar with illegal blows

    and it's like, come on

    how many ridiculous data points of circumstance do you need to assert to rationalize the claim that the guy hits like a baby

    Organichu on
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone called the next thread? Speak up now or I'm going to start working on it.

    adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.