As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread.

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah so anyone hoping to have the blue/open hat switch around will be saddened. Same for those that thought the red/hat disco beat would change.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The 'solution' that others have used was to place two cymbals in the same general hi-hat location. I think some kind of splitter apparatus is involved, too.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sure it's been confirmed, but just double-checking... someone at Harmonix did say the RB2 export info would be up with the new site, right? I know they've apparently been working until the very last minute on this. I wouldn't be shocked if they're negotiating with Metallica's lawyer right now. (Whom I picture as a balding, pudgy guy who doesn't listen to anything heavier than Barry Manilow.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been confirmed, but just double-checking... someone at Harmonix did say the RB2 export info would be up with the new site, right? I know they've apparently been working until the very last minute on this. I wouldn't be shocked if they're negotiating with Metallica's lawyer right now. (Whom I picture as a balding, pudgy guy who doesn't listen to anything heavier than Barry Manilow.)

They said if they didn't get on the web site before it dropped it go up via twitter soonish. Today for sure.

corin7 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    While I totally agree that Queen, Boston, ect all need to have their stuff updated for "Legacy DLC" with keys, last night I remembered something.

One of the BEST PACKS for the entire series needs to have Keys added. It came out so long ago everyone forgets, but seriously - to this day its still consistently one of the best DLC purchases Ive ever made.

I need keys added to "The Cars", ASAP.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    While I totally agree that Queen, Boston, ect all need to have their stuff updated for "Legacy DLC" with keys, last night I remembered something.

One of the BEST PACKS for the entire series needs to have Keys added. It came out so long ago everyone forgets, but seriously - to this day its still consistently one of the best DLC purchases Ive ever made.

I need keys added to "The Cars", ASAP.

The Cars has been underwhelming for me haha. It's never bad when it pops up on a mystery setlist but no one ever finds it compelling enough to select it by choice. But I will take keys in anything in the back catalogue.

corin7 on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought The Cars was one of the worst selling albums (as in the whole album not singles). Or was it Doolittle? It's been a while since I saw XBLA charts.

EDIT: Having said that, Bye Bye Love and Just What I Needed are awesome songs. I wish we could get Magic.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My enjoyment has no bearing on how well it sold.

Every track sounds like it would have a fantastic keyboard part.
    I totally get they wouldn't pour resources into something that a small percentage own, and an even smaller percentage of that would then spend MORE money on. Just let me hope!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Never!
    Boston deserves it more. :rotate:

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Given how badly all non-single/popular tracks tend to sell, I'm a little surprised they keep releasing albums. Maybe artists cut them good deals for the whole album rather than singles. Maybe even the crappy selling songs manage to pay for themselves. Maybe Harmonix is just that dedicated.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Given how badly all non-single/popular tracks tend to sell, I'm a little surprised they keep releasing albums. Maybe artists cut them good deals for the whole album rather than singles. Maybe even the crappy selling songs manage to pay for themselves. Maybe Harmonix is just that dedicated.

There are a handful of albums I'd buy all the tracks for (with the caviat here of ignoring "singles", thus ignoring "Greatest Hits" album releases). They just don't tend to release many of those.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dookie is a great album, they should...oh wait. :S

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so the pro mode guitar WONT be out tomorrow, right?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    right

MrDelish on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hullo, thread! I had pretty much abandoned Rock Band for several months while focusing on grad school; it speaks volumes that I actually forgot that RB3 was coming out tomorrow, but luckily, I also forgot that I set aside a pile of Best Buy gift cards specifically to buy this and the keyboard! Good thing I'll have finished my midterm by the time I get home with my spoils, because I'll be damned if I'm doing work for the rest of the week.

My wife is going to strangle me for bringing another plastic instrument home, but I think the "all gift cards, no actual money spent" wild card will be my saving grace.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hello as well thread. I probably haven't played 10 total minutes of Rock Band in over six months now. But it sure as heck looks like RB3 is probably bringing me back to the fold. No rush for now, I want to see how everything shakes out from the release, how the song transfers work, whether keyboards are worth it, etc. Will probably just end up piecing together a new stable of instruments and whatnot. Might need a HDD upgrade as well. But very excited that HMX seems to be firing on all cylinders these days...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Am I the only person intentionally picking out a specific song to be the first one you play in RB3? My wife wants to do Cheap Trick's "Hello There" (assuming the transfer gets up timely), but I'm leaning more toward this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WEqHu7T1MM&feature=related

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Opening Band.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought The Cars was one of the worst selling albums (as in the whole album not singles). Or was it Doolittle? It's been a while since I saw XBLA charts.

EDIT: Having said that, Bye Bye Love and Just What I Needed are awesome songs. I wish we could get Magic.

I'm pretty sure it was Doolittle. By virtue of being one of the first albums released as DLC The Cars has sold more. Given enough time, every song will probably generate enough sales to make its money back. Even Cherry Bomb, which is probably still slang for a failing DLC release.

Cherry Bomb has registered over thirty-four thousand scores. (The Keldon site is choking on something... Possibly the rollover.) Most of Doolitle is below that number and the lowest number for any of The Cars songs is a bit over twenty-eight thousand.

Technically they're failures compared to the other, more popular artists. But they've still probably generated some profit. My pet DLC, the X Pack, is still doing extremely poor with Los Angeles registering two-thirds the number of scores as the other three songs combined. It's also the only song to have registers over a thousand scores on a single console.

People really only buy what they know. I suspect the numbers only really show people who have little interest in branching out, or that the crowd that buys DLC is fairly young or musically inexperienced. I'd hate to think of HMX completely abandoning these lesser performers simply to keep the revenue up, but I wouldn't really blame them if they did.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Am I the only person intentionally picking out a specific song to be the first one you play in RB3? My wife wants to do Cheap Trick's "Hello There" (assuming the transfer gets up timely), but I'm leaning more toward this:

Clearly you aren't. But I know for a fact that there are Others who are planning on something like this.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Bohemian Rhapsody for me

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Opening Band (and any other old songs) are automatically out because my first song (in fact, my first 10 or so) will be played on keys.

I'm saving Bohemian Rhapsody for when all my friends show up and the rock band party officially begins, I imagine my first song myself will be Riders on the Storm.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My first song tomorrow is Crosstown Traffic. The final song of the night is Freebird. Any one of my friends who doesn't like it will be asked to leave.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My preorder has been put in and paid in full.

Now we play the waiting game.

The waiting game sucks.

Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh fuck yes.

Amazon shipped my RB3 bundle. Fedex says I'm getting it... TOMORROW! WOO!

Arikado on
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What the hell? I just called my Gamestop (in Canada) to ask about the free DLC preorder thing, and they said the instruments were pushed back until, at the very least, November 2nd. So all he has to sell tomorrow is the software.

Am I getting the typical Gamestop BS? I wanted those 3 free songs but if I walk over to Walmart I'm probably going to find that the keyboard is available, right?

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not sure what you're talking about, though there was some mumblings on the Forums about the keyboard being delayed for the PS3 for some reason...somewhere. I didn't really look into it.

As far as the pre-order DLC is concerned, nobody knows when it will actually become available for anybody. If you're talking about The Doors stuff, then unless you're prepared to miss out on the GameStop DLC and get the game or bundle elsewhere, I'd suggest that you borrow a copy of RB3 from somebody so you can quickly get the free Doors stuff. (Depending on what the process is for that...)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, the MIDI Keyboard adapter needs to come out NOW. Amazon claims it won't be available for another month. I can't believe I'm actually considering just buying the stupid keyboard controller when I've already got a 88-key keyboard with weighted keys sitting here...

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, I called Gamestop and asked if it was still okay for me to preorder today and still get that exclusive free DLC thing (I didn't even know if it was available in Canada to start with). Then I asked if they were doing a midnight launch. They said "no, no one in the city is, because all the keyboards have been pushed back until Nov 2nd at least, they must have had some problems with them". He makes it sound like nobody in the world (or maybe just Canada, but that doesn't make sense) is getting keyboards for another week at least.

I think it's just Gamestop BS. I don't particularly care about those 3 free DLC songs especially if it means I have to miss out on the first week-plus of RB3. That's not worth the $5 that I could eventually spend on the DLC when it loses exclusivity. But I DO want my keyboard tomorrow from SOME store.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Why not start with the greatest and best song in the world?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WwQdFI6K5U

Or at least a song about the greatest and best song in the world.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, I called Gamestop and asked if it was still okay for me to preorder today and still get that exclusive free DLC thing (I didn't even know if it was available in Canada to start with). Then I asked if they were doing a midnight launch. They said "no, no one in the city is, because all the keyboards have been pushed back until Nov 2nd at least, they must have had some problems with them". He makes it sound like nobody in the world (or maybe just Canada, but that doesn't make sense) is getting keyboards for another week at least.

I think it's just Gamestop BS. I don't particularly care about those 3 free DLC songs especially if it means I have to miss out on the first week-plus of RB3. That's not worth the $5 that I could eventually spend on the DLC when it loses exclusivity. But I DO want my keyboard tomorrow from SOME store.

Honestly, I don't know. That could be true. Or at least true for Canada since I saw a bunch of RB3 gear at Fry's today, including keyboards. Unless the songs offered for free are that big a deal to you, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's precisely why I hate ordering from Gamestop, because you never know if you're getting the runaround. "Oh, we don't have any of those left in stock, you'll be hard-pressed to find any in the city!" *walks across the street and picks up a copy off a huge tower of copies from Walmart* The only reason I'd ever consider giving them my business is for stupid preorder bonuses like this. But it's not a huge concern to me.

I guess I'll just roll the dice and try to find a keyboard bundle at a different store Tuesday morning when stores open. :\

Can anyone else who lives in Canada confirm anything about the availability of Xbox 360 keyboard bundles from retailers?

XenoScholar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm theorizing that the free songs from GS are going to be parts of packs. Hopefully.

Road to Nowhere and Wild Wild Life, pls

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not that it helps, but I just tend to avoid GameStop for anything that isn't used or, surprisingly, unavailable elsewhere. Even though they usually get the 'best' pre-order content, it's never been enough for me to care. Best of luck, man.

At any rate, I'm bored. And since the Forums are down and my 360 is otherwise engaged in some housecleaning, I decided to scroll through RockBandAide posts and saw that we're also apparently getting a further six Billy Joel songs in the Spring next year.
    Anyway, “Billy Joel Week” continues here for the Rock Band community as a number of people sent me a link to a press release supposedly from Columbia / Legacy Recordings yesterday mentioning the following item:
    Rock Band is excited to offer a new Billy Joel edition of the popular video game [huh?], providing a masterful keyboard experience of his music to fans around the world through two downloadable game packs: a “Hits” pack of 12 songs arriving in December 2010 followed by a 6-song “Piano Challenge” pack in the spring.

So there's that...

Also, due to rockband.com being down, I'm unable to confirm the prices for all five of the other RBN songs 'released' on Friday. So fuck it, here's the list 'as is'.

Two dollars
    song title - band name

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woZtyzU6F0A]The Countdown[/vidurl] - Cliff Lin (Five month old full-band autoplay preview)
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdFREBGNVNA]Dark Horse[/vidurl] - Converge (Full-band autoplay)
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcHLIINRNjc]Bullet With a Name[/vidurl] - Nonpoint (One month old Full-band autoplay preview)
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhiUacYI8kE]Worst Case Ontario[/vidurl] - The Roman Line (One month old full-band autoplay preview)
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHGKqGhTn54]Gabrielle[/vidurl] - Ween (Full-band autoplay preview)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just got an e-mail from GameStop with the code for the preorder DLC. The instructions state to enter it in "Redeem Code" in the marketplace, but it's clearly not an XBox Live code. It's 16 characters instead of 25, and doesn't have the hyphens. I'm guessing it's to be entered in the game itself, and they didn't communicate that internally.

I think I'll wait until the disc arrives before registering a complaint, but it's a bad sign when a video game retailer that has pre-order bonuses all the time doesn't know what a valid code looks like.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I just called some other retailers (Future Shop) and it turns out they're not getting the keyboard bundle either. It's in their computer, but it's not set to ship until some random date in the future that they don't know.

So it really looks like Canada is getting royally fucked in the ass here.

If I had known this was going to happen I would have ordered it online from some US store. Fuck.

XenoScholar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    IGN Review! And I finally became that guy. I got mad at part of a review.
    Though Pro Guitar totally changes how you play Rock Band 3, and is brilliant in its implementation, buying it isn't going to get you groupies (why else would you learn guitar?). Get the real deal at this point. Stop living your rock fantasies through cheap plastic toys.

But there's a-
    You didn't-
    You just said there's gonna be-
    nevermind

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wow

that is probably the most contradicting 3 sentences of a review i have ever read

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How do you spell 'ignorant', again?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would love for every game review to be like that.

"Call of Duty: Black Ops is great and all, but I'd suggest joining the Army instead if you want to kill people."

In other news RB3 is a Christmas gift for me, so I will not be rocking out for a while. At least this means I can download some awesome songs to get me started before it comes out.

Sir Platypus on