As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fucking computer died - Help!

Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
Alright, so I was just filling out some employment apps, not even touching the computer when this happened.

The monitors went black, like the computer was shutting down, except the tower was still running. Both monitors show the amber "standby" lights, and one of them responds to the Xbox, so I know they're both fine.

I tried just rebooting the computer, and nothing. Though I do notice a distinct lack of a POSTing beep. So, I unplug the monitors, and try each monitor by itself in each DVI port, and nothing. Then I crack it open, and try each stick of RAM by itself one by one, and nothing. I finally just unplugged absolutely everything but the necessary components, CPU, video card, and boot HDD, and ran through each stick of RAM again, and nothing. About the only thing I haven't tried doing is trying each stick of RAM in the different slots on the motherboard, but that's probably next.

Does anybody have any idea what could possibly be wrong? I don't have a spare tower, so unfortunately I can't try the components in a different computer.

sig_megas_armed.jpg
Bionic Monkey on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Update from the H/A crosspost.

Unplugged absolutely everything, including video card, RAM and hard drive from the board. Booted with nothing but the motherboard, CPU + fan, and the PSU, and still not getting a post beep. I was told a bad CPU would at least go to BIOS, so this means it's either the motherboard, or the power supply. Which is awesome, because my CPU socket isn't made anymore, so getting a new motherboard means I have to get a new CPU anyway.

I'm going to pick up a power supply later this afternoon, and see if that fixes it. If not, I can always return the power supply, and I guess I'll be ordering a new mobo+cpu this week.

Any other insight or suggestions or different thoughts is still welcome though, while I continue isolating this problem.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DOOMocratDOOMocrat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you're getting no fan spin after pressing power whatsoever, not even a brief spin then a shutdown, I think the PSU's gonna fix it.

DOOMocrat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No, fans are still spinning, and I can hear the hard drives spin up when it powers on.

I'm not holding out much hope that it's the PSU.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What brand/model is your motherboard?

Beazle on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    try looking at the mobo for any blown capacitors(the cylinders) they'll be either puffed out on top, or have some white powery substance at the bottom.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I checked over the capacitors when I got home, and it doesn't look like any of them are blown. Two are pretty dusty, but they're situated right next to where the GPU fan is, so I think that's all that is.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like the mothertboard has gone. If you're lucky, the rest of the components are fine.

If you're not... well let's just say this month you're going to lose a little weight.

ben0207 on