As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    From my experience teens are more likely to play things like human knights and other things that are heroic and everything they're not. Either that or elf-like races because they're pretty/handsome.
    Animal races tend to either be too ugly/mostrous or too cutesy (and man, you're totally not an adult if you like cutesy stuff) for them.

Glal on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's three types of MMO players. The ones who play elves because they're pretty, The ones who plays Orcs/Charr/whatever and call the elf players faggots, and then the people who play something based on one of a billion other reasons that can't be stupidly generalized in a single forum post, but those aren't fun to talk about.

Joshmvii on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spoken like a Troll player.
    ;-)

Glal on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My race choice will be based on racial abilities. Most likely Sylvari if it's true that they can summon a tree elemental because I am lazy and I want my army of minions to do all the work as I watch TV. It's why I was a minion Necro in D2. Spam max skilled Revive and sit back as they kill Diablo.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    Thank goodness for Worgen-playable. I suspect it will act as a sizeable buffer against contamination of the Charr legions.

I sure hope this is the case.
    Caedere wrote: »
    My ears were burning again. What's this? "Caedere, why haven't you featured Charr/Charr action in your avatar or sig yet?"

You people are why we can't have nice things. :x

It's a valid question.

I look forward to playing my Charr and simply shooting people I don't like in WvW PvP. I want to bring some dignity to them, and show others that nobody messes with the best race.

Other races are alt material. Norn are the best alt material.

/opinion.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Asuran Elementalist.

That is what I will be going, nobody is going to change my mind on that. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am going to roll one of each race (and class)

I mean, how could you not

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My first character will likely be a Human Necromancer.

Human because I am filled with the human spirit! I like to play the good guys, I like to play the hero, etc. I'm not a teenager (not for several years now), but they have always remained my favorite.

And Necromancer because of marks and wells. AOE buffs and debuffs? Yes please. I will play the supportiest necro I can make.

Rend on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »

Oh, definitely. We all will I think, but this is just a discussion on who you will roll first.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Charr Warrior first. Simply because I tend to roll warriors first in every MMO and the Charr seems to fit the bill

Then, a Human Necromancer. Because raising the dead is always fun, and doing so as a crazy old witch-esque human type always fits best

Then, Norn Ranger. Viking shapeshifter with murderous beasts as pets. Yes please

Then, Sylvari Elementalist. I will throw water and flowers at everyone

Asura as whatever is left

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Unlucky wrote: »

Oh, definitely. We all will I think, but this is just a discussion on who you will roll first.

My plan is to have two to start. I will try them all out eventually but I really need to focus or I start to lose what I am doing.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm rolling a sylvari necromancer first because I love me some fucking necromancers and the sylvari are the best race. Also, my necro's name from Guild Wars 1 should be saved and it fits perfectly.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Charr. Warrior. Nuff said.

REG Rysk on
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm rolling a sylvari necromancer first because I love me some fucking necromancers and the sylvari are the best race. Also, my necro's name from Guild Wars 1 should be saved and it fits perfectly.

Thus continueth the chronicles of Death McAngsty, teenage necromancer detective plant of the future.
    wait that was my idea :(

naengwen on
    edited October 2010
    Char. . .

Haha. Just kidding.

Norn BML.

Seidkona on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rend wrote: »

Human because I am filled with the human spirit! I like to play the good guys, I like to play the hero, etc. I'm not a teenager (not for several years now), but they have always remained my favorite.

And Necromancer because of marks and wells. AOE buffs and debuffs? Yes please. I will play the supportiest necro I can make.
    You like to play the good guys, the heroes. Of course, necromancer. :winky:

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
    edited October 2010
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »

You like to play the good guys, the heroes. Of course, necromancer. :winky:

RIIIIISE... MY CHILDREN OF THE...

...uh...

... ...sun...
    >.>

Rend on
    edited October 2010
    There's nothing that says necromancers are evil. Weird and creepy, sure, just like undertakers, but that doesn't make them evil. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Everybody knows that all undertakers are either:

1) Secretly necrophiliacs (see: "Dead Mate")

2) In league with "Death" (see: Final Destination)
    -or-
    3) Wrestlers

Nothing good ever came from those things. NOTHING.

REG Rysk on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Right from Prophecies (allied) Necros were characterized as sort of creepy and often cold-blooded, but they ultimately use their command over the energies of life and death for good.

e.g.
    "The dead are restless. Buried here are many brave warriors who sacrificed their lives defending Ascalon against foreign guilds from the south and the bestial Charr to the north. They wonder if it is not too much that their sacrifices be remembered and honored."

But... (Munne's other quest)
    "If you will agree to destroy the nightmare he summoned, I will show you where he went and give you a spell to help. But I warn you, you'll have to be clever to get past the fire traps in that part of the tombs. Of course, if you fail, I shall use your corpse as fodder for the next, more worthy, student."

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Necromancers: "Don't fuck it up or we'll fuck you up".

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited October 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Necromancers: "Don't fuck it up or we'll fuck you up".

Necromancers: "Everything gets better with age- everything."

Rend on
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    sabriel.jpg

That's what I'm talking about.

Athaedos on
    edited October 2010
    Athaedos wrote: »
    sabriel.jpg

That's what I'm talking about.

:^::^::^:

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Entaru wrote: »
    Unlucky wrote: »

My plan is to have two to start. I will try them all out eventually but I really need to focus or I start to lose what I am doing.

If birthday presents are anything to go by, you're better off making all of your characters straight away, then playing them as you want. That way, you might get that awesome, expensive birthday present when it's actually worth something.

-Loki- on
    edited October 2010
    I will probably be curious enough to try character creation for each race anyway (plus starting areas, I expect), but b-day presents is a very good point.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The problem will be actually doing it.

Like, I'll make my Sylvari Ranger, and start playing it. Then keep playing it. Then 2 months later, maybe get around to making the other characters.

-Loki- on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The problem for me will be determining what race should be what class. Sometimes things just don't "feel" right and I worry about being three months in and feeling like I wish my Sylvari were a Ranger instead of a Necro and my Charr were an Elementalist instead of a Warrior, or whatever.

sidhaethe on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Charr Mesmer or bust, for me. Such a strange combination that will work so well. Infiltration, disguise, assassination... mmm.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    The problem for me will be determining what race should be what class. Sometimes things just don't "feel" right and I worry about being three months in and feeling like I wish my Sylvari were a Ranger instead of a Necro and my Charr were an Elementalist instead of a Warrior, or whatever.

Won't you probably have hit the level cap by three months anyway? I mean, they've said that this isn't a very long game.

Frem on
    edited October 2010
    Level cap is not really the point. Say you spend a month getting to the cap, and then a few weeks doing various high end things. If you are unlucky, perhaps you'll realise that (for your playstyle) a different race would have fit much better for the class you're playing due to racial abilities.

If we put aside mechanics though, I doubt simple "theme" will be a problem. You should be able to notice fairly quickly whether you like the way a class fits thematically with a race.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited October 2010
    I am slightly worried that, for my BML, Norn will turn out to not be the right choice. That maybe Sylvari or Human would be better. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I hope by that time we have better info on what each of these choices means in terms of gameplay.

However; early on in game there will be some level of guessing as to the right way to do it.

Seidkona on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm thinking of a Norn Necro for my main, which I expect to be one of the tankiest tanks of survivability. Life-stealing abilities to keep me up, a minion following me around to keep me even more healed, when shit hits the fan I can turn into a fucking bear, and when shit really hits the fan I've got a Death Shroud ability to keep me running around for just a little bit longer.

Peccavi on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Charr Mesmer or bust, for me. Such a strange combination that will work so well. Infiltration, disguise, assassination... mmm.

They haven't announced the Mesmer class...have they?

Melkster on
    edited October 2010
    I really don't see how there could be a problem with any race/class combo. It all feels like it would fit to me, even something like, say, an Asuran warrior. Sure they're tiny but like someone said earlier they're smart and can probably figure out the best way to stab/crush/slice someone AND they seem like vicious little bastards to me anyway. Charr mesmer like Caedere suggested is a great idea, quite a few people might assume that the sort of subtlety that a mesmer possesses is beyond a Charr but I think that Caedere hit that nail right on the head. Norn elementalist? Who else is closer to the elements than a Norn? Those big bastards live out in the woods and mountains half naked and they turn into bears and shit, that seems like a perfect recipe for magical spellcaster dudes. They wouldn't be your typical weak, little bitch spellcasters but I don't think I'd mind a break from the norm in that regard. The humans will also fit any class, of course, and I think the Sylvari will too since even though their entire race is new and childlike and magical, they're still pretty similar to humans.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited October 2010
    Melkster wrote: »

No, but concept art makes it highly likely that both Mesmer and Assassin, or at least close relatives to those two professions, will be in GW2. Also remember that Mesmer is pretty unique to GW, so ANet is unlikely to drop it.
    I really don't see how there could be a problem with any race/class combo. It all feels like it would fit to me, even something like, say, an Asuran warrior. Sure they're tiny but like someone said earlier they're smart and can probably figure out the best way to stab/crush/slice someone AND they seem like vicious little bastards to me anyway. Charr mesmer like Caedere suggested is a great idea, quite a few people might assume that the sort of subtlety that a mesmer possesses is beyond a Charr but I think that Caedere hit that nail right on the head. Norn elementalist? Who else is closer to the elements than a Norn? Those big bastards live out in the woods and mountains half naked and they turn into bears and shit, that seems like a perfect recipe for magical spellcaster dudes. They wouldn't be your typical weak, little bitch spellcasters but I don't think I'd mind a break from the norm in that regard. The humans will also fit any class, of course, and I think the Sylvari will too since even though their entire race is new and childlike and magical, they're still pretty similar to humans.

You're right. ANet has made each race flexible enough to more-or-less account for any race/class combination. I don't know about others, but I was speaking about personal preference. To me, personally, a Human or Sylvari ranger feels better than a Norn or Asura ranger. Some people might be more intrigued to play the less "obvious" combinations, which is again, personal preference.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I'm thinking of a Norn Necro for my main, which I expect to be one of the tankiest tanks of survivability. Life-stealing abilities to keep me up, a minion following me around to keep me even more healed, when shit hits the fan I can turn into a fucking bear, and when shit really hits the fan I've got a Death Shroud ability to keep me running around for just a little bit longer.

This is one of the things that intrigues me most about GW2. You're talking about expecting to be able to soak up a shitload of damage with a light-armored scholar-class character, and ... it makes total sense to me. Also, lorewise, the norn shamanistic thing fits together interestingly with necromancy.

Architeuthis Dux on
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

From PC Gamer:
    But it’s not all loosey-goosey–players still choose a definitive class when they create their character. The four announced classes so far are Warrior, Elementalist, Ranger and Necromancer–a healthy balance of the usual class archetypes (only Monk and Mesmer haven’t been confirmed from the first game to return).
    Actually, the Monk per se has been confirmed NOT to return.

This statement leaves some hope that Mesmers might return, or the sentence got screwed up by bad writing and Mesmers are out, too.

ButeoRegalis on
    In GW: Matt Argul
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's really nothing new: Mesmers haven't been confirmed to return. We know this. If you go to the GW2 site, the only confirmed classes are the four that they've, y'know, confirmed.

Also, yes, it's badly written. "From the first game to return". What the hell is up with that?

reVerse on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »

No, but concept art makes it highly likely that both Mesmer and Assassin, or at least close relatives to those two professions, will be in GW2. Also remember that Mesmer is pretty unique to GW, so ANet is unlikely to drop it.

You're right. ANet has made each race flexible enough to more-or-less account for any race/class combination. I don't know about others, but I was speaking about personal preference. To me, personally, a Human or Sylvari ranger feels better than a Norn or Asura ranger. Some people might be more intrigued to play the less "obvious" combinations, which is again, personal preference.

Yes, I meant my comments in a personal preference sense. I also have profession and race "favorites" and as such I would be unhappy if I found there was a class I wanted to play more than others, that I had rolled on a race I didn't enjoy as much as others when I got into the game. It might be a short road to level cap, but I like to have these things sorted and not be itching to re-roll after having gained some story momentum already (and that's another thing! How attached will I be to each character once I've started making story choices?).

I realize it's kind of a funny coconcern to have (oh noes! The game might provide me with too many fun and interesting options to keep straight!). :)

sidhaethe on
This discussion has been closed.