As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monster Moods: A thing I'm doing

Frank BrakFrank Brak Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
So about 70 days-ago, I started doing this project where I drew a monster everyday for the next year based on my mood for that day.

Day Fifty-Seven:
Parky-524x1024.png

Now, I'm not much of an artist. I took some drawing classes in High School but god knows if I retained anything from that. So a lot of times, my monsters are either animal combinations or these strange humanoid based monsters.

Day Sixty and Day Sixty-Six:
Sixty-643x1024.png
Sifty-Dee-619x1024.png

And sometimes I get inspired, like by my parents' fat dog.

Day Sixty-Nine:
Oscar-779x1024.png

So now, I'm turning to you guys for critiques and advice. I'm getting kind of bored with the way the monsters look. I want to experiment with different textures and coloring styles but I have no idea where to begin with any of that stuff.

So any advice or anything would be awesome, thanks

"hold the phone. now give the phone to me."
Frank Brak on

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Frank, these are fabulous. I especially dig the jellyfish panda head thing.

The whole mood of the day thing: Is it how you feel at the start of the day, or the end of the day, or the most significant thing that happens in the day? I'm just looking at ways to change it up...might want to consider how busy your day was as part of the factor in making these things, however you translate your moods into the designs.

Otherwise, I'd say maybe play with light a little more, as these guys seem to mainly be in well-lit places.

Linespider5 on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is.... is that slenderman?

Slender-Man-2.jpg

He looks so cuddly in your picture :(

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If that's Slenderman, you just made his dialogue a heck of a lot funnier.

Linespider5 on
  • Frank BrakFrank Brak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks guys!

Line, the moods are generally the overall feeling of the day. I do want to play around with light a little more though so that's a great suggestion.

I had no idea what a slenderman was until I looked it up. That shit is terrifying.

Frank Brak on
    "hold the phone. now give the phone to me."
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Most excellent. Some are better than others, but overall I like 'em. I'll be looking out for updates.

Also Slenderman ain't so bad, met him in a bar once.

Endless_Serpents on