As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No Ordinary Family - They aren't ordinary

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I ran a search and didn't see a thread for it, so I figured I'd make one.

Surely I'm not the only person enjoying this show?

So what is No Ordinary Family? Its a new super hero show on ABC in which a dysfunctional suburban family undergoes an unexplainable transformation while on family vacation and they all get super powers. Oh, and the mom is super hot. Like super. Hot.

It airs on Tuesday nights at 8/7c on ABC.

NoOrdinaryFamilyCastPic_Smaller.png

Lucascraft on

• RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've watched the first three episodes and have been pretty underwhelmed. The special effects are pretty good for a TV show and the casting is good (I especially like Romany Falco and the guy from Seventh Heaven) but the acting just comes across pretty stilted. My biggest gripe is with the plot seeming to be pretty messy, ie
    The episode where the mother has her ring stolen at the wedding. The criminals all walk away from the collar at the end of the episode, but one of them just happened to have that specific ring? On him? At the time of a different crime at a different place days later? Come on.

It might go good places, we'll see.

RazzleDazz on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The boy's teacher has a vendetta and it's fucking stupid.

Captain Carrot on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, this show could have a fun premise but they ruin it by burdening the proceedings with incredibly heavy-handed, forced emotional drama about the family's "problems."

HEY, HEY DID YOU GET THAT THE MOM WORKS A LOT, AND THAT THE DAD SORT OF HAS SOME ISSUES WITH CAREER FULFILLMENT? ALSO THE TEENAGE DAUGHTER IS A TEENAGE GIRL (LOL THEY CRAY-CRAY, AMIRITE AMERICA?), AND THE TEENAGE BOY IS DYSLEXIC (BUT NOT ANYMORE)? DID YOU GET ALL THESE THINGS? ARE YOU SURE? BECAUSE WE CAN MAKE SURE THAT 80% OF THE DIALOGUE MAKES MENTION OF THEM IN AN EXTREMELY UNNATURAL AND HAM-FISTED FASHION. YEAH LET'S DO THAT.

Fartacus on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    why can't there be good shows about people with super-powers

Pony on
    edited October 2010
    I mean it's sort of hilarious to have Julie Benz and Michael Chiklis play these characters with no actual flaws, but who have tons of forced and incredibly saccharine, (crudely) manipulative conflict about their pseudo-problems, compared to the characters those actors have played in the past.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: this show has awful writing. That's really all there is to it. The writing is grippingly bad.

Fartacus on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pony wrote: »

Whatever happened with that NBC show, The Cape? Did the pilot ever air? Based on previews, it was the worst looking show ever.

Lucascraft on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    heroes was a god damn tragedy

Pony on
    edited October 2010

Get AMC to do one and I'm sure it'll turn out great. They've been batting 1.000 over there.

I mean, fuck, if they can do conspiracy/espionage and zombie-apocalypse with the same depth and authenticity and emotional impact as Mad Men and Breaking Bad -- well what the fuck can't they do?

Fartacus on
    edited October 2010
    Honestly what AMC is doing is pretty incredible. They've got more (and better) good TV right now than anyone else, including HBO. And out of fucking nowhere.

Also because of them Jon Hamm may be the next Superman, which would be the most load-blowing thing to ever happen ever.

Fartacus on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's an okay show so far (I already switched from The Event to it,) but it has two crucial problems so far. First is the lack of urgency. Rip on Heroes all you want, but the first season was spectacular, partially because you can tell it was going places. By episode 2 you knew that unless the good guys did something, New York gets nuked. Episode two of "Family" started showing an ominous Team Evil, but it hasn't gone anywhere since.

The second problem, and I can't stress this enough, is that one of the characters actually wants to be a superhero, is already running around as a vigilante, has his own sidekick and superhero base, and has not once even considered WEARING A COSTUME! Look, I get it. People make jokes about the capes and spandex and wearing underwear on the outside. Fine. But get SOMETHING! This is a series full of self-aware, genre savvy people who are capable of making intelligent decision. But costumes exist for a reason, and not just the very important need for an iconic image. For Lonny's sake, you already got caught or almost got caught like 12 times now! At least get a fucking mask.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited October 2010
    Those are problems I guess, but again, I really can't stress enough -- the characters are bland cut-outs with no believable conflict, who are milked for some ridiculously heavy-handed, poorly-executed emotional drama.

Fartacus on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    heroes was a god damn travesty

fix'd

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Honestly what AMC is doing is pretty incredible. They've got more (and better) good TV right now than anyone else, including HBO. And out of fucking nowhere.

Also because of them Jon Hamm may be the next Superman, which would be the most load-blowing thing to ever happen ever.

boo, Brandon Routh is perfect

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2010

Jon Hamm is Superman. Look at this perfect, manly man and his 90-degree jawline.
    jonhammdondraper.jpg

So besides looking like a goddamn man, unlike Brandon Routh, he can actually act. Like a motherfucker, both dramatically and comedically.

Fartacus on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Until the last 5 minutes, I thought this episode was a decent improvement. It had actual superhero fights, it advanced the plot, it finished the "J.J. is pointlessly lying to his parents" plot. But the ending was ridiculous. I mean, is it "cheating" for the guys naturally built like a bulldozer to play? And what about class? Is it cheating to actually do well in tests?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

superpowers are the new gimmick that can be shoved into shows/movies in lieu of quality.

KalTorak on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Sure... but Zack Snyder.

Kinda ruins that appeal for me.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Jon Hamm is Superman. Look at this perfect, manly man and his 90-degree jawline.
    jonhammdondraper.jpg

So besides looking like a goddamn man, unlike Brandon Routh, he can actually act. Like a motherfucker, both dramatically and comedically.
    he's just so old though, " Superman:Kids get off my lawn!" edition?D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The Dark Knight Returns! Superman is slightly older, Bruce Wayne is like... Clint Eastwood or something.

Yeah it'll never happen.

KalTorak on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been following the show on Hulu. It's not terrible, but there's so much more it could be.

My main problem is I can't watch the show without seeing Chiklis as the badass cop from The Shield. It's a bit jarring to see him interviewing people without beating them with phone books I guess.

see317 on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RazzleDazz wrote: »
    I've watched the first three episodes and have been pretty underwhelmed. The special effects are pretty good for a TV show and the casting is good (I especially like Romany Falco and the guy from Seventh Heaven) but the acting just comes across pretty stilted. My biggest gripe is with the plot seeming to be pretty messy, ie
    The episode where the mother has her ring stolen at the wedding. The criminals all walk away from the collar at the end of the episode, but one of them just happened to have that specific ring? On him? At the time of a different crime at a different place days later? Come on.

It might go good places, we'll see.

Don't forget that the dad basically tosses a guy off a 10 story building and the guy survives.

YodaTuna on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

jonhammdondraper.jpg

What...are you like 15 or something? He just needs to gain 50lbs of muscle and keep the hair dyed black.

Cabezone on
    edited October 2010
    This show sucks, but I'm watching it anyway.

Cabezone on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    People seem to hate this show but I really like it :(. It reminds me of The Incredibles, which I'm in love with in a completely childish way.

Ego on
    Erik
    edited October 2010
    "I just wish, I just wish you believe it too"...so terrible. I want this show to be good so bad. I would really appreciate a show about a superhero that isn't all angsty. It's one of the reasons the modern Iron Man, and the Incredables are so great, embracing their powers.

Cabezone on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

jonhammdondraper.jpg

Yeah I'm not seeing it. He just looks like a grizzled upper class white colar guy. He doesn't fit the mold of a superhero that is known for being mild manered.

Jokerman on
  • MahoneMahone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have this entire series saved on my DVR, I haven't yet actually desired to watch them......

Mahone on
    edited October 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

jonhammdondraper.jpg

Yeah I'm not seeing it. He just looks like a grizzled upper class white colar guy. He doesn't fit the mold of a superhero that is known for being mild manered.

You don't watch 30 Rock...do you?

Cabezone on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The show is getting better, certainly the acting by the mum
    And the dad is improving as they get to know the roles but the writing is still awful and determined to obsess over trivialities. There is indeed conflict regarding the power of mind reading, but it's not anything you've presented so far. They just need an 'all superdad' episode to see if the show has real potential. Oh, and I concur that they should get at least some masks right away.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited October 2010
    Jon Hamm is the only one with a manly-enough jaw to be a DCAU-style superhero in real life.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »

jonhammdondraper.jpg

You don't watch 30 Rock...do you?

He basically looked like a dorkier Don Draper in 30 Rock.

Superman should not have a perpetual but rugged five o'clock shadow.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg