As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Very sweet alcoholic beverages!

AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm not much of a drinker at all, but I think it would be fun to know of some drinks I could make at home for a "once in a while" type deal while watching movies or something. Something nice to sip on, and enjoy the flavor.

The thing is, I don't like really strong tasting or bitter drinks. I guess chalk that up to not drinking much, and never getting used to the taste of strong alcohols.

I really like Sombreros, Mud Slides, White Russians, Smirnoff wine coolers (hah...), and very very sweet wines. I know how to make all of those, and have access to some awesome wines (My town has the oldest Winery in the US, so I can just walk there and pick up my favorite and what not, or ones people suggest.), but I want to try some new things!

Anything with Tequila will make me feel like I want to die. I got too drunk on it once, and can't drink it with out feeling physically ill. So, I guess nothing with that in it, please.

So, suggest some of your own recipes, or drinks that you really enjoy that you think I might like!

Edit: Baileys is also a big favorite!

AlyceInWonderland on

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Midori Sour

Amaretto & Coke or Cranberry

Stoli Raz and Sprite

VisionOfClarity on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Amaretto would be a good fit for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaretto

Works with pretty much any combination, really.

Sheep on
    edited October 2010
    Malibu Bay Breezes

Pina Coladas

VisionOfClarity on
  • Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do you like cherry coke? Just take some black cherry vodka and some regular (or cherry) coke and tada!

Or you could make a twigs and berries... Frangelico and Chambord over ice, my ex's mom used to put bailey's in it as well.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Amaretto and cherry coke tastes like alcoholic Dr Pepper.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Amaretto and cherry coke tastes like alcoholic Dr Pepper.

Seriously? o_O
    Think I found a new drink to try, myself!

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
    edited October 2010
    But don't get a cheap Amaretto. It can get gross.

VisionOfClarity on
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh vanilla coke and Disaronno is an awesome, easy, sweet drink. Also (there's probably a name for it but I dunno)

1 part Vodka
    1 part Chambord
    2 parts Sprite
    In a glass w ice

Also have you tried any ciders? Apple is always good but Woodchuck Pear Cider is pretty dang tasty too

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, and try gin, lemonade and Vimto (if you can get Vimto).

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All of these suggestions sound awesome! Thanks, keep 'em coming!
    Spudge wrote: »
    Oh vanilla coke and Disaronno is an awesome, easy, sweet drink. Also (there's probably a name for it but I dunno)

1 part Vodka
    1 part Chambord
    2 parts Sprite
    In a glass w ice

Also have you tried any ciders? Apple is always good but Woodchuck Pear Cider is pretty dang tasty too

This sounds delicious, and no I don't think I've tried any ciders, but 'tis the season, so I'll probably try some soon!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lime juice makes most things great. Gin or vodka gimlets (easy recipe: 2 shots liquor, 1 shot Rose's lime juice)

Southern Comfort 2 parts, lime juice 1 part

Vodka tonic with lime, alcoholic sprite basically.

For beer: Berry Weiss or Wild Blue (if you want to double the alcohol).
    Ciders: Strongbow is my favorite. Some people like Woodpecker or some apple pear ciders.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay I know you have an aversion to tequila, but hear me out:
    Fresh Margaritas are the shit. I make this one for my girl and it is very tasty and won't kill you.

3-4 oz Patron
    2 oz Cointreau
    2 oz simple syrup
    3 oz lime juice
    3 oz Mango or Peach Nectar

It's sweet, delicious and the tequila is very understated.

Else, Pindar makes two really great sweet wines. Gamay Noir and Sweet Scarlet. Both bottles are only about $10 and it is very tasty chilled. (You can also make some killer sangria out of it)

Deebaser on
  • ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grape Crush

1/3 oz vodka
    1/3 oz Chambord raspberry liqueur
    1/3 oz sweet and sour mix

I like to add a little 7-up to make it fizzy.

Thundyrkatz on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh and Lindemann's lambic is a nice alcoholic treat. The Peach(Peche), Cherry(Kriek?), and rasberry (framboise) are all lipsmackingly good.

Deebaser on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Stinger. Very 1940's. I tend to use more brandy to white creme de menthe though. Keep in mind, when they say white creme de menthe, they mean it. The green stuff ruins it.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lunch boxes taste like candy.

3/4 bottle beer
    1 shot amaretto almond liqueur
    1 oz orange juice

Fill a glass almost full with beer. Fill the rest with orange juice (careful not to fill it to the top). Then take the shot of amaretto and drop it into the cup with the beer and orange juice.

It doesnt sound like it would taste like candy, but it does.

Also amaretto stone sours.

1 part amaretto almond liqueur
    1 part sweet and sour mix
    1 part orange juice.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lime juice (and likely any strong citrus juice) and sugar/syrup are very effective in masking the taste of alcohol. Try this:

Fill a glass with ice.
    Add the zest and juice of a quarter lime (or more).
    1 part vodka
    3 parts ginger ale

Add more or less ginger ale to taste. I use diet ginger ale when I'm cutting carbs.

You could sub gin for vodka, though if the gin is very aromatic the flavors can get busy.

Djeet on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Margarita with Midori instead of tequila

Amaretto Sour

Cherry Vodka Sour

Sir Carcass on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    just get your Jimmy Buffet summer vibes going. Throw on a Hawaiian shirt and mix Rum + fruit juices.

Pretty much any of those tropical styled drinks work fine and are always sweet due to the mass amounts of pineapple and other fruit juices thrown in there.

Mai Tai
    Zombies
    Pina coladas
    Bay Breeze
    Hurricane
    Blue Hawaiian

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    One of my favorite drinks ever is the Toasted Almond. It's Amaretto, Kahlua, and cream.. I don't know the ratios offhand, but you can look them up easily. If you like creamy and sweet things, it's awesome, and a very nice sipping drink if you're just hanging out. It doesn't have a very alcoholic taste, although I don't generally mind that anyway.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    1 can of orange soda + 1 shot of vanilla vodka.
    Tastes like an orange creamsicle.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My favorite sweet alcoholic beverage is the John Daly (an alcoholic Arnold Palmer), made with (Firefly) Sweet Tea Vodka and (Simply) Lemonade - I mix about 1 part sweet tea vodka to 3 parts lemonade, with some ice in.

CowShark on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think I've tried any ciders
    Sort of like wine, there's a pretty wide range of sweetness in cider. Some, like Strongbow, are more dry. Those are the kind I prefer personally. If it's got any kind of extra fruit flavor in it, it's highly likely it'll be a lot sweeter, like wine cooler sweet, so probably more to your tastes.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hello,

Try a liquor made in South Africa called Amarula, my girlfriend really loves it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarula

There is also an Italian wine kind of sweet called Riunite (Lambrusco, White, etc.)

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
    edited October 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    One of my favorite drinks ever is the Toasted Almond. It's Amaretto, Kahlua, and cream.. I don't know the ratios offhand, but you can look them up easily. If you like creamy and sweet things, it's awesome, and a very nice sipping drink if you're just hanging out. It doesn't have a very alcoholic taste, although I don't generally mind that anyway.

Good God that sounds tasty as hell.

In fact all of these do, and if I become a raging alcoholic, I'll be sure to blame every last one of you.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm just like you, possibly even pickier. I hate bitter drinks, I can't stomach beer, or most wines, and have a gag reflex with most hard drinks. That said, I've found at least one thing I like from each of those categories.

1) Cider. Delicious, my favorites are Strongbow and Magners. The former seems easier to find. Awesome replacement for beer, has the same alcoholic content, and it's so good. It just isn't nearly as prevalent as beer sadly (at least in the US).

2) Riesling. This is a very sweet wine, and it's the only wine I actually like. There are a few just under this in the sweetness scale that I'll drink, but I try to stick with Riesling.

3) Vodka & Cranberry juice (also called a Cape Cod). Sometimes they also put a lime wedge in. It's very good and you don't even taste the vodka.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    edited October 2010
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    I'm just like you, possibly even pickier. I hate bitter drinks, I can't stomach beer, or most wines, and have a gag reflex with most hard drinks. That said, I've found at least one thing I like from each of those categories.

1) Cider. Delicious, my favorites are Strongbow and Magners. The former seems easier to find. Awesome replacement for beer, has the same alcoholic content, and it's so good. It just isn't nearly as prevalent as beer sadly (at least in the US).

2) Riesling. This is a very sweet wine, and it's the only wine I actually like. There are a few just under this in the sweetness scale that I'll drink, but I try to stick with Riesling.

3) Vodka & Cranberry juice (also called a Cape Cod). Sometimes they also put a lime wedge in. It's very good and you don't even taste the vodka.

Yeah, I think I've only found ONE beer I enjoy, and I don't even remember what kind it was, and a lot of wines tend to be too bitter for me, thought I've found a couple that I really enjoyed. I've recently discovered that I like Rum and coke. I used to HATE it (Much to my boyfriends surprise), but apparently the ones I had were just made with way too much rum anyway.

I WAS okay with tequila, even though it tasted like vomit, but now it's just something I absolutely can't stomach anymore. I'll still try the drink Deebaser recommended though, as it doesn't seem like it'll be too over powering!

Also, anything with cranberry juice I will definitely try, and I'll definitely check out strongbow. I WANT to like beer, but I don't think it'll happen, so I'll see how the cider works for me!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you want to try beer, I recommend Bière Du Corsaire

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/180/10884

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anything with Blue Cauraco really.

Like a Purple Haze. It tastes like juice.

Sipex on
  • EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It might not be quite what you're looking for, but have you tried adding a splash of Baileys to a hot chocolate/cocoa? It's the most delicious combination for a cold winter night!

Edilith on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    also a well mixed Long Island iced tea, even though it is practically nothing but alcohol, doesn't taste like alcohol.

I often exclude the tequila as I'm not a big fan and put an extra splash of sour mix as I love sour mix. It if you like sweet/sour pucker your mouth type sugars then this could be for you.

then you can explore the world of drinks with sour mix which are fun.

also a Tom Collins could be up your alley. Just don't go with that premade mixer style "Collins" mix as I find they all suck. Make your own from scratch.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Now rum and coke is also something to love

It's a couple bucks more expensive but Captain Morgan Private Stock makes a hella sweet rum n coke; my fiance drinks that shit like water. Kraken is also very tasty but you have to mind the extra strength (94 proof) or it'll kick your ass

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
    edited October 2010
    Also try a good brachetto.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Try Captain and Sprite, shit tastes like cream soda. On quite a few occasions i've sucked way too many of those down because they are so good.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • AndeAnde Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not a beer person either, I hate coke, and anything cranberry makes me sick, so finding a drink I liked took a while too!

As far as ciders go... I don't mind Strongbow and Blackthorn, but they are kinda dry. If you're looking for a sweet cider, I like Rekorderlig Wild Berry a lot. It's Swedish pear cider, with raspberry, strawberry and cherry flavours... kinda like fruit punch, but all of a sudden you're drunkish =D They also have an elderberry flavour which isn't as sweet, but is also really good.

Or, stepping away from sweet for a second, I also really like SourPuss (raspberry, green apple, grape, lemon or 'blue' flavours) with gingerale or sprite. I usually pour a shot (or two) in a glass and then fill it with gingerale. It's a fizzy sweet-sour taste with no alcohol flavour at all.

(I'm in Canada, don't know if you can get SourPuss in the US)

Ande on
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Japanese plum wine (umeshu) is extremely sweet and tasty (so sweet that most people I know won't touch the stuff, but I love it).

Mogs on
    edited October 2010
    I could try sour things too. I don't know if I'd like it, as I've never tried any before, but I guess so long as you can't taste a lot of the alcohol, I'd probably like it!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I once read a recipe for something called a 'Squashed Frog'. In truth it should be called, 'Diabetes Incoming'.

Take a shot glass with 10ml of grenadine. Layer 10ml of Midori, then 10ml of Bailey's. If you have powdered cocoa, sprinkle a little on top.

It looks cool, too.

3769967302_975f1292c9.jpg

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
    edited October 2010
    Oh good God. Fucking grenadine <3

Are you supposed to mix it?! Cause all I'd want to do with that drink is mix it and destroy the levels of delicious and combine them into one.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    But.... But the layers make it look awesome!

It tastes pretty much the same unlayered since you shoot it down. :)

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
This discussion has been closed.