As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW][Chat] Cata cata cata pon! (LOTS OF INFO IN THE OP)

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Hydraxian Waterlords wouldn't give two shits about you until you'd killed Ragnaros a hundred times. Then they give you a fire resistance ring and send you on your merry way, because, you know, that ring wouldn't have come in handy BEFORE going into fire central a hundred times.
    Isn't that old school WOW all over ? "You need Fire Resistance to kill the bosses in Molten Core but we'll make it so that the only people who drop Fire Resistance gear are the bosses in Molten Core !"

Thanks a bunch, you Blizzard weenies.

Fairchild on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got spit on soo much doing the bloodsail grind. I was just killing guards, never touched a quest giver (other than the admiral which is a quick respawn probably). Still got a ton of hate, i blame rp servers.

Pirate day wasn't so bad because I have the title on my rogue. As soon as you hit the water (after being un-netted) they tend to give up.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm at work and can't get to mmo champion, and haven't played WoW since around the time of the 25% ICC buff. The rest of the 4.0.x/Cataclysm changes I'll review later, but can anyone give me the quick lowdown on Mastery? What it is, what changed, what it replaces, all that?

I was planning to wait until a couple months after Cataclysm release to come back but damnit those Moonkin changes are like a siren's song :(

Ledneh on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Hydraxian Waterlords wouldn't give two shits about you until you'd killed Ragnaros a hundred times. Then they give you a fire resistance ring and send you on your merry way, because, you know, that ring wouldn't have come in handy BEFORE going into fire central a hundred times.
    Isn't that old school WOW all over ? "You need Fire Resistance to kill the bosses in Molten Core but we'll make it so that the only people who drop Fire Resistance gear are the bosses in Molten Core !"

Not that we need to get into this discussion again, but that was much more a problem with AQ40 than MC.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited October 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I'm at work and can't get to mmo champion, and haven't played WoW since around the time of the 25% ICC buff. The rest of the 4.0.x/Cataclysm changes I'll review later, but can anyone give me the quick lowdown on Mastery? What it is, what changed, what it replaces, all that?

I was planning to wait until a couple months after Cataclysm release to come back but damnit those Moonkin changes are like a siren's song :(

It doesn't really replace anything.

Mastery is an additional stat that provides a unique advantage per class/main talent spec. The more mastery rating you have, the better the benefit. For example resto shaman gets something called deep healing, which causes certain (or all, i forget) heals to heal more depending on the targets current health. Mastery effects how much more effective the heals are.

For some classes its not really worth it to invest heavily into until 85.

Use the wowtal calculator to look at your spec to see what mastery does.

edit: for balance the mastery ability is
    Total Eclipse:Increases the bonus damage from Eclipse by 12%, each point of mastery increases this bonuses by an additional 1.5%

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »

There was plenty of fire resist gear in Vanilla. I remember I had a bracer from fireboss in BRD of Fire Resist. You just had to juggle FR with stats. Plus there was the FR buff from the mobs in BRS that you could get if you were having problems with your key people dying.

Jubal77 on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »

It doesn't really replace anything.

Mastery is an additional stat that provides a unique advantage per class/main talent spec. The more mastery rating you have, the better the benefit. For example resto shaman gets something called deep healing, which causes certain (or all, i forget) heals to heal more depending on the targets current health. Mastery effects how much more effective the heals are.

For some classes its not really worth it to invest heavily into until 85.

Use the wowtal calculator to look at your spec to see what mastery does.

It provides a base healing amount that increases the lower the health the target is. This amount is percentage based at 20 or 25% and you get an extra 2.5% on top of this with each mastery point. From that I have figured if the target is at 50% health you might get 15% buff to your outgoing healing but if the target is near death you get the full 25%.

Also you get a base 8% mastery at lvl 80.

Jubal77 on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, I thought things like... lemme see if I remember... haste, weapon skill, defense, and armor penetration were going away? Huh, guess I got a lot of reading to do.

'nother quick one, what're JP? I've seen it referenced but don't know what it refers to.

Ledneh on
    edited October 2010
    Oh, I thought things like... lemme see if I remember... haste, weapon skill, defense, and armor penetration were going away? Huh, guess I got a lot of reading to do.

'nother quick one, what're JP? I've seen it referenced but don't know what it refers to.

Certain stats did go away, mastery doesn't really replace them though.

Justice points are the new dungeon currency, ala badges of justice.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    every time I hear it I think we all started playing an SRPG and our leveling our jobs... it's justice points. They replaced badges and once we hit 85 raids will have a higher level and that raid tier becomes JP when the new raid tier comes out so it's just two kinds of points, current raids and old raids/heroics instead of different badges every tier.

initiatefailure on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haste is still there, it just does more now. Also, JP is Justice Points, which are replacing badges. Cataclysm will have 2 type of points, Justice and Valour, one for the highest gear and one for the lower gear. You'll be getting Valour from the newest raid (at least I assume) and Justice from everything else.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    edited October 2010

Justice points are the new dungeon currency, ala badges of justice. The main difference being that they have a weekly cap, so you don't have to do a random dungeon every day to get points.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, that's one reason I have trouble sticking with WoW. Not only do PCs not matter in the scheme of things, Blizzard sometimes goes out of its way to point out how insignificant your character is. Like the end of the DK starting zone (which otherwise I love) when Arthas shows up and talks about how only Tyrion matters and then you watch the important characters do stuff. It's like the game takes you to the kid's table and says, "Shh, the grown-ups are talking now."

This is why I hate the wow playerbase, 5 years ago people were shitting bricks that we would even be in the same room as Kel'Thuzad and that random no names shouldnt kill lore characters.

polloface on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »

Justice points are the new dungeon currency, ala badges of justice. The main difference being that they have a weekly cap, so you don't have to do a random dungeon every day to get points.

A weekly cap? I was unaware of any cap other than "4,000 total JP." (and the whole soft cap/hard cap thing we have between now and Cata) Can someone provide details, por favor?

Bobble on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought valor points were the only ones that were supposed to have a weekly cap.

But I dunno.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of resists, I wonder how the Ragnaros fight is going to play out. It's going to be a bit odd if he's not immune to fire (especially since he was the first time we fought him and he was weaker then), but the game has changed a lot since then so there will be an awful lot of QQ from fire mages if he even resists fire.

I suppose they could sidestep it with Malfurion or someone providing the raid with a buff that gives your mages the abilities "to burn with a righteous flame" or whatever.

Lars on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I think that's right.

Cap on total JP. Weekly cap on VP...not sure if there's also a cap on total VP.

Keep in mind that when a new tier is released, VP will be wiped (to JP or gold, not sure).

Doctor Detroit on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Speaking of resists, I wonder how the Ragnaros fight is going to play out. It's going to be a bit odd if he's not immune to fire (especially since he was the first time we fought him and he was weaker then), but the game has changed a lot since then so there will be an awful lot of QQ from fire mages if he even resists fire.

I suppose they could sidestep it with Malfurion or someone providing the raid with a buff that gives your mages the abilities "to burn with a righteous flame" or whatever.

Help me remember the last raid boss that would've been considered 'elemental'... Hydross in SSC? I guess you could count the VoA bosses. I'm sure I'm blanking on someone here.

Bobble on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm pretty sure they said your VP would change to JP when there's a new tier. It might just be added together with your current JP, but I wouldn't expect another "badge" to gold conversion like we saw with 4.0.1. It'll probably just put you at the cap and leave you there.

And I doubt it is set in stone yet, but the wording in the past made it sound like you (Dr. Detroit) said, overall cap on JP, no weekly cap, but a weekly cap on VP. I'm sure there'll be an overall cap on VP too, but since it wipes with new tiers there is absolutely no reason to stockpile VP. Spend that shit the second you get it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes, that's how it works.

JP has a total cap, but you can earn as much as you want per week.

VP has a weekly cap, but you can stockpile as much as you want.

Just remember that VP becomes JP the minute the next tier comes out.

shryke on
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Running wild animation is in:

Male:
    wanged

Female:
    wanged

Oh and the dance is the poker face dance.

polloface on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That female running has an extra arm.

And it's doing things to her.

Having trouble which alt I feel like leveling to 80 right now, what do you say WoW thread? 66 paladin, 60 warrior, 52 druid?

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    assuming like only one raid at a time will give out VP, and that raid resets weekly, how would a weekly cap come into play anyway? like, you would get points for the first half of the raid and not the second?

DiscoZombie on
    edited October 2010
    yep

EDIT: I doubt you'll reach the weekly cap from doing half a raid. Even if you did every boss per week you'd still probably have to do a couple daily randoms or whatever other methods of getting VP there are to reach the cap.

They've said they don't want to force raiders to raid and do a heroic every single day to get the "max" benefits, but they also said if you'r enot raiding you're not going to reach the weekly cap simply by doing randoms.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Ragnaros dines on the QQ tears of fire mages.

Seriously though ... it's called a dual spec.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yep

EDIT: I doubt you'll reach the weekly cap from doing half a raid. Even if you did every boss per week you'd still probably have to do a couple daily randoms or whatever other methods of getting VP there are to reach the cap.

They've said they don't want to force raiders to raid and do a heroic every single day to get the "max" benefits, but they also said if you'r enot raiding you're not going to reach the weekly cap simply by doing randoms.

Ah, I thought they also said that randoms would give JP, not VP. Or will it be, the first random of a day gets you VP, like it used to be before 4.0?

DiscoZombie on
    edited October 2010
    I think the first will give VP and further ones will give JP, but that may have changed too.

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have uninstalled the beta client but I knew after 4.0.1 i'd barely touch it. I could just check these things but nope.

The Dude With Herpes on

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It would also seriously hamper elemental shamans too though. What with lava burst and flame shock being useless.

TheGerbil on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, afaik, first Random Heroic of the day gives VP.

The way the caps are set, if you clear every raid boss, you will essentially max out on VP. If you don't/can't kill them all, you'll have to do some Heroics to hit the cap (if you can hit it at all).

shryke on
  • QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »

It would also seriously hamper elemental shamans too though. What with lava burst and flame shock being useless.

Also would pretty much neuter enhancement shamans because of searing totem, lava lash and destro and demo locks.

I'm pretty sure immune bosses are off the table now, at least I hope since my two 80's are a shaman and a lock.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    'designs mutilate and envenom' 'creates poison immune bosses'

Yeah, no thanks. Nonsensical it may be, but no more boss immunities please.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blizzard is done with boss immunities as a mechanic from everything we've seen it WotLK. Bring the player, not the class/spec is what they've been all about.

JAEF on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, afaik, first Random Heroic of the day gives VP.

The way the caps are set, if you clear every raid boss, you will essentially max out on VP. If you don't/can't kill them all, you'll have to do some Heroics to hit the cap (if you can hit it at all).
    If you clear every (or nearly every) raid boss on 25, you'll cap VP. Right now the numbers are such that you'll need to do daily heroics most or every day if you're doing 10-man raids to cap out.

Edit: Spell school immunities were retarded even back in 1.0. I don't know why Blizzard would bring them back in Cataclysm with as much as the game design has improved since then. It's sad that it took them until about 3.1 in WotLK to figure that out, but that's hopefully over and done with now.

forty on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I always figure hitting fire elementals with fire is like hitting someone with a rock. It won't burn the elemental, but since they're made of fire, fire would essentially be "solid" to them and would impact them kinetically.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I always figure hitting fire elementals with fire is like hitting someone with a rock. It won't burn the elemental, but since they're made of fire, fire would essentially be "solid" to them and would impact them kinetically.

Personally I always figure "lol game mechanics" :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Blizzard is done with boss immunities as a mechanic from everything we've seen it WotLK. Bring the player, not the class/spec is what they've been all about.

I'm all for that, but lots of ICC fights are skewed better for groups with more ranged DPS than melee (princes, LK, Putricide)

Noray on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pretty much all of wrath has been like that.

Most of Naxx, especially KT, Ulduar not so much, but some fights were definitely not melee friendly, the beasts of ToC weren't too good.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's always been the case, ranged have had it better on the majority of raid bosses since vanilla. Same or higher damage with a large decrease in potential damage taken = rogue tears.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Making melee dps slightly better than ranged dps with gear of the same level would be fair, I think. I mostly tank so I don't care too much but melee DPS just gets the short end a lot.

Noray on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Noray wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »

I'm all for that, but lots of ICC fights are skewed better for groups with more ranged DPS than melee (princes, LK, Putricide)
    Well there's always the soft line between making an interesting and challenging boss fight and punishing certain compositions. Due to the unfortunate nature of the game usually this skews in favor of heavy range but a more balanced composition is often ideal. As a counter to your example, there are also several fights where it's exceptionally advantageous to be able to do full DPS while moving which all ranged are unable to do. Several parts of LK come to mind immediately. The shadow realm of Halion is another. These definitely aren't as prevalent, but who knows what we'll see in Cata.

OK so beta testers know. Fuck you.

JAEF on
This discussion has been closed.