As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes Universe] "HiRez Studios is the proud new owner of the Tribes franchchise"

Galf0rgheedGalf0rgheed Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
I'm dumb and missed this post over here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=130515

(please move/delete this post as necessary)

The people that brought you Global Agenda, then tested it on you, then told you it would be F2P forevar have decided to for-go warzones, to instead BUY TRIBES AND MAKE A NEW ONE. Ahh rich people.. We love them.

Here is Erez's update as posted on the Global Agenda forums, to apply for the Alpha of Tribes Universe, go here

http://www.tribesuniverse.com/

protip: if you have a GA account, login as THAT and don't make a new account (It's a different front-end to Hirez's current forums).
Here is a brief update on what’s been happening at HiRez Studios.

Those of you that have been playing Global Agenda know that over the last year we have been consistently adding new features/content and releasing it at no charge to the Global Agenda community. We plan to continue doing this on an on-going basis as much as possible and over the next couple of months everyone will see new maps, raids, flair, and weapons (starting with the Halloween event next week).

As most of you know, Global Agenda is an ambitious project that incorporates many different gameplay modes (PvP, PvE, AvA, Raids, Open Zone, DA). Over time we had many requests for additional game play modes, especially larger spaces and fights. Earlier this year we released the Sonoran Desert quest zone as an area that would help players ease into the game while testing our technology limits for having large areas and many players in the same zone. Our plan for a first paid expansion was to continue on that path with Warzones which were designed as large open areas where players can PvP.

As we worked on Warzones we found too many design and programming issues to make it practical. Global Agenda was designed around 10v10 team play and there was no practical path found to scale it up in a significant way (to large scale numbers like 100 players in a single area). As a result we plan to continue releasing more Global Agenda content but only in the formats players are already familiar with. (Special Ops, Raids, Merc Missions, etc)

While we know that some players will be disappointed in the lack of warzones, we also have some good news.

We can’t transform Global Agenda to a large scale battle format but since we liked this concept a lot, we decided to create a new game based on large scale fighting. In order to develop the new game many significant steps had to be taken, including: A significant rewrite to the unreal engine servers to allow for 100+ players to be fighting in the same map, a new UI system that is more efficient, a different implementation of character visuals, a new terrain system, etc. In addition the combat gameplay required many significant changes as well.

While working through the design we kept coming back to one old and loved game that represented many of the concepts we where incorporating into the new game (Jetpacks, vehicles, large open space, three armor types, futuristic weapons, etc). Many of you will know this game as Tribes, the original on-line multiplayer shooter. As of now, HiRez Studios is the proud new owner of the Tribes franchise.

We now have two groups in the studio, one working on continuing to build Global Agenda and a new group working on the Tribes Universe project. We are also moving to a new larger office space in another month that will help us accommodate our growth.

I’m sure many of you have questions, so here are a few quick highlights for Tribes Universe:

* Three Tribes (factions)
* Full clan (agency) support
* First person view (third person for some vehicles)
* Full vehicle support (ground and air)
* Full persistent world with territory control (no instances)
* PvP focused
* Huge outdoor maps (about 10x the area of sonoran desert)
* Large scale fights (100+ players)
* Jetpacks, skiing, lots of weapons, etc

Alpha testing will begin at the start of the year (about 3 months from now) and Global Agenda players with level 50 characters will have priority in entering Alpha and Beta testing

Thanks for your support

Erez.

GlobalAgenda: DeadDave
RL: AliveDave...or just Dave
Galf0rgheed on

• Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Signed up for this--its either going to be tribesnext with better servers or a total failure.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mother of god

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    [Tribes Universe] Essentially what Global Agenda was supposed to be

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mother of god

Calling it now.

This will not end well. I'm all for a new Tribes game, but an MMO of it by this company?

No. Not happening.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I will be paying close attention to this.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Mother of god

Calling it now.

This will not end well. I'm all for a new Tribes game, but an MMO of it by this company?

No. Not happening.

Agreed.

The claim that they can't handle 100v100 zones is a load of bullshit, too. Just look at the rush to the (only) single player zone when it came out. Between the NPC's and players, there were way over 200 people there. Way, way, over that amount, in fact.

This pretty much killed any interest i'd have in GA too. Now it's just a P2P TF with no future prospects.

Archonex on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Uh, didn't they totally do away with the subscription plans GA had? I think they had some missteps, but shit like that was a pretty bold step towards listening to customer feedback.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    The claim that they can't handle 100v100 zones is a load of bullshit, too. Just look at the rush to the (only) single player zone when it came out. Between the NPC's and players, there were way over 200 people there. Way, way, over that amount, in fact.

You can't count NPCs as players. That's stupid.

Garthor on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Uh, didn't they totally do away with the subscription plans GA had? I think they had some missteps, but shit like that was a pretty bold step towards listening to customer feedback.

Last I heard they did. I was thinking of reinstalling and checking out that new open zone too.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I see they listed Skiing as a feature, it better be in there and done right or its not tribes. Without the methods of jetpack and skiing, then its just Global Agenda all over again with increased players.

Hopefully they keep loadouts and all the base gadget/building/repair stuff the same too... that hasnt been mentioned yet, only "lots of weapons".

I just really really hope these guys are big fans of Tribes itself. So many ways they could fuck this up.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »

You can't count NPCs as players. That's stupid.

I wasn't, really. There were plenty of players there too.

Even so, with a game like GA, it takes a fair amount of power to keep the NPC's synced with the client, provided all that isn't client side (And I don't believe it is.) somehow.

For them to say that they can't do warzones is a blatant load of shit. More likely, they're cutting their losses on GA, since it's potential for growth is minimal thanks to a relatively bad release.

Archonex on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Expecting the worst :?

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You know now that i think about it this game is going to be a complete failure. To make it properly and fun you'll pretty much need to make an almost perfect copy of tribes and throw it on a new engine with better servers. Devs are incapable of following simple instructions and not fucking things up, they'll constantly want to put their own little spin on the content so we'll get retarded variations of what works.

I could see maybe 100vs100 if they get some awesome code but throwing in vehicles and turrets you can go fuck right off. I've played on 32vs32 servers all the time in tribes2 and they've stream lined the hell out of that game and it barely works when theres a melee.

I really hope i do get into alpha so i can set shit right before it becomes unchangeable--tribes 2 is a holy relic of FPS games and i shall not suffer a pretender!

Also calling it right now, "theres vehicles! look a truck, a tank, a grav cycle..... but no flying vehicles but who needed those?!".

Arghy on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm imagining WoW but reskinned as tribes.

Sheeeit.

Getting sniped from across the map by a jerk max lvl Blood Eagle with the best epic laser rifle. >.<

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm imagining WoW but reskinned as tribes.

Sheeeit.

Getting sniped from across the map by a jerk max lvl Blood Eagle with the best epic laser rifle. >.<

Your going straight to hell for even thinking of that.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was going to talk about how stupid it is to say "OH MY GOD JUST MAKE IT EXACTLY LIKE XYZ GAME AND IT'LL BE GREAT GAWD WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN TO ME" but then I realized it would be pointless because Arghy's just gonna be Arghy.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How could you possibly improve on tribes gameplay besides just improving the code and graphics? Literally if you could give me and magical dream option to put into tribes 2 i couldent think of a single feature that would drastically change gameplay for the better.

Its better to simply upscale something that works then fuck with it and make something thats broken but new.

Arghy on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha, this inanity reminds me of a guy I once knew who claimed any single change ArenaNet would do to the concept of GW when they made the sequel would ruin the game. Even if they just upgraded the graphics, or gave you a jump that did nothing functionally and just played an animation, it would ruin the game and he would not buy it.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Haha, this inanity reminds me of a guy I once knew who claimed any single change ArenaNet would do to the concept of GW when they made the sequel would ruin the game. Even if they just upgraded the graphics, or gave you a jump that did nothing functionally and just played an animation, it would ruin the game and he would not buy it.

Thats the same developers though that made the first GW who are making the second.

This Tribes Universe thing is being made by developers that had NOTHING to do with the actual Tribes games. I could see the original tribes developers changing some things and not ruining the game, but totally new devlopers trying this could be terrible. They really are better off just making a copy of Tribes with new graphics, maps and servers.

I'm not sure I even like the idea of any MMO aspects they might add, at least as far as leveling and unlocking stuff, that just would ruin the game. It will just be global agenda all over again with having to grind for gear to be on an even playfield. If they only make a persistent world for the sake of controlling areas and stuff, then cool... if they add levels and unlocking equipment, then fuck off.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    BluefyreBluefyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I jusy hope they do not waste any time developing PvE leveling content for it. No one is going to play it to grind out levels killing npcs.

Bluefyre on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    You know now that i think about it this game is going to be a complete failure. To make it properly and fun you'll pretty much need to make an almost perfect copy of tribes and throw it on a new engine with better servers. Devs are incapable of following simple instructions and not fucking things up, they'll constantly want to put their own little spin on the content so we'll get retarded variations of what works.

I could see maybe 100vs100 if they get some awesome code but throwing in vehicles and turrets you can go fuck right off. I've played on 32vs32 servers all the time in tribes2 and they've stream lined the hell out of that game and it barely works when theres a melee.

I really hope i do get into alpha so i can set shit right before it becomes unchangeable--tribes 2 is a holy relic of FPS games and i shall not suffer a pretender!

Also calling it right now, "theres vehicles! look a truck, a tank, a grav cycle..... but no flying vehicles but who needed those?!".

Correct me if I'm wrong but tribes servers aren't hosted by a company, they're hosted by an individual aren't they? Someone's super micro board with what's equivalent to the celeron in the server world wouldn't handle crap. Compare that to a company that's got money to pour into high end server architecture.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Most games arent held back by hardware its mostly software--you could prolly host a 100vs100 on tribes2 but the code couldent handle it and the game would be unplayable.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Most games arent held back by hardware its mostly software--you could prolly host a 100vs100 on tribes2 but the code couldent handle it and the game would be unplayable.

Huh? I played 128 vs 128 on tribes 2 back when it was highly played.

I think people had to mod shit to make the cap that high, but I sure as hell remember playing it and it was a blast on the huge maps.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think even my worst network code I've written since I've started (last year) can easily handle 200 streaming clients. I think it's about 100 on average, but 200 isn't that much more. Your bottleneck is almost definitely the pipe your data is being pushed through. A coder who knows their way around UDP shouldn't have any issues if a guy who just picked up TCP can do something similar. Granted I'm not pushing nearly that much data but it can still be a bandwidth hog.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Badwrong wrote: »

I think people had to mod shit to make the cap that high, but I sure as hell remember playing it and it was a blast on the huge maps.

What what what--i played for years and the largest i've ever seen was 64vs64 and it barely ran with the lowest ping being 170. The action was also insane with 64 players as it was an almost constant stream of kills and flag rushes were things of epic tales with 4 person cap teams to pick up the flag in mid air as the other guy got blow to bits. I was the awesome bomber pilot who flew above the LoD zone and carpet bombed your vehicle area.

What game types did you play? i vaguely remember something about DM being able to host more people since its maps were much more simple. What made tribes for me was CTF and i dont think i ever played anything other then CTF.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Badwrong wrote: »

What what what--i played for years and the largest i've ever seen was 64vs64 and it barely ran with the lowest ping being 170. The action was also insane with 64 players as it was an almost constant stream of kills and flag rushes were things of epic tales with 4 person cap teams to pick up the flag in mid air as the other guy got blow to bits. I was the awesome bomber pilot who flew above the LoD zone and carpet bombed your vehicle area.

What game types did you play? i vaguely remember something about DM being able to host more people since its maps were much more simple. What made tribes for me was CTF and i dont think i ever played anything other then CTF.

That's the crucial part. I have high hopes for this game. I never did get a chance to play Tribes 2, but holy shit was Tribes 1 amazing.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    tribesnext.com is free tribe2 if you want to play now though all thats left is hard core guys who make it a living hell if your on the wrong team.

Arghy on
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I had a dream of an MMO where you could capture and defensively upgrade planets, have orbital bombardments, dropships, and galactic-sized wars. That game was Tribes 3 and this is garbage standing in the way of my dream and I don't like it.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I had a dream of an MMO where you could capture and defensively upgrade planets, have orbital bombardments, dropships, and galactic-sized wars. That game was Tribes 3 and this is garbage standing in the way of my dream and I don't like it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No one was ever going to make your Tribes 3.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Haha i could just imagine a planet sized battlefield--you get shot down and spend 12 hours skiing to the nearest base. There is nothing wrong with tribes2, more players with some graphics/physics upgrades is all you would need because its still the best strategic FPS HANDS FUCKING DOWN.

Arghy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man, Tribes 2 is so perfect, nothing ever needs to be changed.

Shifter mod was the best, though.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't remember the details but I recall enjoying some version of renegades alot. Whatever type that made the laser rifle kill lights with one shot to the head.

Stupid vanilla tribes leaving that sliver of life after a sweet headshot. >.<

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    haha i hated snipers so it was sweet justice when they couldent kill me in one shot though i usually bit the bullet from some heavy spraying his chain gun at us

I love sitting on the flag as a shielded heavy and watching a capper come flying in at absurd speeds then just bounce off my chest only to watch as 3 mortars landed at my feet and bathed us in fusion goodness. I hated those guys who would spinfusor me off the goddamn flag at the perfect time though.

Arghy on
  • Options
    skorchskorch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't remember the details but I recall enjoying some version of renegades alot. Whatever type that made the laser rifle kill lights with one shot to the head.

Stupid vanilla tribes leaving that sliver of life after a sweet headshot. >.<

That is why you shot a disc at them first, and then sniped milliseconds before it hit.

skorch on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh my god

Oh my god

Oh my god

Jasconius on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

You have horrible opinions.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You have horrible opinions.

No, I just mock them.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I enjoyed all three installments of Tribes, and never cared much for any of the mods except Classic and construction mod.

Also Rabbit... But that ended up being a regular game mode.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I see some grumbling in the other thread about it being done by HiRez... I don't really see that point of view. Global Agenda was a fine game, probably just overpriced, and the MMO mechanics were perhaps a little too meh... But as a shooter.. It was pretty solid. The brief time I spend with it produced excellent moments... Just lacked depth. Skiing and jet packs solve this.

Jasconius on