As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

looking for portfolio site help (pg6)

• Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love all these. Such character!

beavotron on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha. These are pretty neat.

Acrylic?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks guys!

Yea, these are acrylic. Since there is a $30 cap on prices I tend to try to work fast. I set up my studio with big old house fan and work on three or four at a time.

I only have about an hour of free time at night to work, so I assembly line them.

I will probably slap $20 on each of them, price to move.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The beaver and the dinosaur are solid gold. I would love to hang them on my walls.

What are you painting on? Canvas board?

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No, wood, partical board to be exact.

The four eyeball ones at the bottom are cheap canvas from walmart :U but all the rest are a cut up old ping pong table.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    AlecxantAlecxant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In a random note, here are some paintings I banged out recently. I take part in this thing called YART twice a year, a bunch of artist get together and have a yard sale with art. We set a price limit (right now it is nothing over $30, used to be nothing over $10) and everyone brings a cardtable and sets up in someones yard.

When it started everyone was just bringing leftover stuff from classes or stuff that they had showed and not sold yet. Now a lot of people are like me and produce about 10 to 12 paintings just for YART. We do one in spring and one in fall. If you are friendly with five or six artists, I recomend throwing one!

I really dig your style, you definitely instill a consistent personality throughout your paintings. Also that is such a rad idea, I wish I had enough artist friends to organize something like that. Do you guys keep the profits?

Alecxant on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Broke these are fantastic, like more so than usual. Slothercize DVD is my favorite.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks all! It was a pretty great turnout this time. We do it twice a year, spring and fall, and 30 artists showed up to this one. We had good weather and a pretty steady crowd. I sold everything but Slothercise and one of the eyeballs.

The news even showed up: http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=13336147

Alecxant: Thanks for the kind words! Yea, we get to keep all of the money. The people who host it don't charge or take a cut, in fact they actually cook out and feed us burgers for lunch.

When we first started there were maybe eight or nine of us setting up cardtables. We didn't know each other very well and it looked kind of sad, but this is it's fifth year and it really got a foothold. If you can get even a few people interested and get the ball rolling, artists will come out of the woodword. You just don't want to be overrun by crafty old ladys selling mittins. That is a real risk.

Thanks 'stang, I still can't believe Slothercise didn't sell. It was one of my favorites.

I am going to try and paint throughout the winter so I don't have to slop a bunch of paintings together in two weeks next year.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good work Broke! I liked the simplicity of the paintings and awesome they (mostly) found loving homes. :^:

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ugh, a long overdue/rushed comic:

tanorexic.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know, the first two panels don't seem to match what follows, or they don't seem necessary, maybe. Also, I think it sounds odd for frosty dog to start his sentence with 'Besides', when he wasn't the one speaking right before that. Maybe something more like 'well', or 'but', I'm not sure.
    Annnd check your PM box.

lyrium on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My main question with this comic is what is tannorexic?

My etymology of words isn't very good but to me that suggests someone who doesn't tan (like an anorexic person doesn't eat- were you going for a play on alcoholic? That seems to make more sense even though the words are very different)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

This one felt a little off to me, I think I kind of rushed it. Yea, the second dog (his name is Spliff, but that is neither here nor there, I just didn't want you to think I never got around to naming my own dog) shouldn't start with "besides." It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. and I could probably chop off the first two panels.

Napp, my wife suggested the word. I get it, it would suggest someone who doesn't tan at all if taken literally. I thought it sounded funnier than tanaholic.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    New One! I feel like this one flows a little better:

chicken-copy.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "So what are you guy being for Halloween?"

Shouldn't that be, "So what are you guyS being for Halloween?"

Also, I think the joke would make a little more sense if the second to last sentence was reworded. Maybe "It's like playing a game of chicken with Halloween costumes."

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SHIT! I can't believe I missed that. Thanks NibCrob, I will have to grab that file from my other computer later and fix it.

I will prolly change that second to last line, too. I kept thinking it sounded strange, but never came up with a better way to put it. Your's is way better.

Thanks man.

Well, here is a new one, trying to get back to real life sort of stuff. My wfie and I watch a lot of House Hunters on HGTV (I know I am lame...) But it made us think about when we were looking at houses.

HouseHunting2.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Haha. I like choices of houses.

I think your style is coming along nicely.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hahaha, back in form Broke.

Me and Lady Mustang had a similar choice, we decided that renting was the preferred option to being murdered in your sleep in a home that the bank owns.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have still been drawing, just got lazy about dropping them here. I think this one is pretty solid.

I try to not really do too many video game references just for the sake of video games, but my wife came up with this one, and she doesn't game much at all, so I think it is relatable. Please crit away:

achievementscopy.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That was a pretty funny idea for a strip, and well executed too!

Watch your layouts and word bubbles though, because that last panel would've been better framed with his bubble over his head, as opposed to cramming everything on one side leaving an empty void on the other. That panel was the biggest offender but looking at some of the other panels, you really can be maximizing them more. Panel 3, why have that much wasted space in the middle?! Free transform your characters bigger, they look great, lets get a better look at them. I think a lot of the comic could use a pretty drastic upsizing character-wise, since the camera looks so pulled back in general.

I also think your comic would benefit from more organic backgrounds. Everything tends to be very straight and rigid, it makes it look computer generated, as opposed to hand drawn like your characters. The first panels background matches the characters, it flows and curves and wobbles. Then the rest of the comic suffers from the lazer straight syndrome.

That bed might as well be a 2 by 4 on two cinder-blocks. There's no contour and no believability. It's not a dealbreaker but injecting a bit more pizazz in the backgrounds will make the comic more life overall. Oh god I just said pizazz.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks adam, This kind of feedback is why I post here.

for those too lazy to go back a page:
    achievementscopy.jpg

You are right, I need to think about what the finished product will look like more. I tend to shy away from background details because they can look swiggly and wobbly, but that matches the rest of the strip better than the straight lines. I think you hit the nail on the head about the first panel. It looks good not in spite of the flaws, but because of them.

And now that you mention it, the characters do look small. It would even be less work to draw them up close, so I will try that out also.

I am not sure how much better it would be with pizza, but I will try and add a slice or two next time...

brokecracker on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The text is very small as well. I had a hard time reading 3lb diaper in the 5th panel

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    also the sparkle you included in the 5th panel could be used to accentuate the 3lb diaper bing in the background to highlight it. I didn't even know there was something to read until napp said that.

ninjai on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i like the joke, but the text is killing it.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the crits everyone! I know I am like a month late here, but I did read them and took them to heart.

I gave up making my own font for now and downloaded indiestar from blambot, I think it fits my style. I know the joke is a little flat on this one, but let me know about what you think. I am really trying to apply what you all are telling me...

toothpaste1copy.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The type fits with your comic nicely.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks Nib! I think it was the closest to my hand-drawn text.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I have to say I don't like that font. It seems busy and difficult to read. Your own handwriting was more attractive, in my opinion. You don't have to get a font that's close to handwriting, though.

I think part of the problem is the letters are too narrow and too close together.

Here are some fonts that are easier to read and may fit better with your style:

http://www.1001freefonts.com/Dadhand.php
    http://www.1001freefonts.com/FawnScript.php
    http://www.1001freefonts.com/Lamebrain.php
    http://www.1001freefonts.com/SFCartoonistHand.php

(Dad Hand immediately made me think of you)

Keep on comickin'!

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm with ronnie on this one! I can definitely see that using a font may help you out (plus it is SO MUCH EASIER when you don't have to letter by hand) but I don't think that font is the best choice ever

it seems very... unnecessarily curly, to the point that I was trying to figure out what the words were instead of actually looking at the comic (not an exaggeration, I read it then realized I hadn't even looked at the pictures)

I quite like that Dad Hand one ronnie suggested, along with SF Cartoonist Hand

of course ultimately it is up to you! just throwing my opinion at your face

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Well, one vote for, two against. I like that Dadhand font, I might give that a whirl...

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    New one, gave dadhand a shot. I think I like it!

sneezecopy.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There is more jiggle in your comic than Dead or Alive. Which is impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=896THOYzL_k

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ninjai, haha! that is disturbing and weird...so...thanks...I think?

What do y'all think of the font?...the joke?...egypt?

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    thought I might try out a movie poster to get out of my comfort zone:

FightClubcopy.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ugh, I have grown to hate the above drawing, but I put it here and I will live with it...

Anywho, here is a new comic about Storage Wars.

StorageWarsEvansvillecopy.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Long time no update. There have been ups (new job!) downs (grandma passed away) but I am back and here is a new comic.

BirdHousecopy.jpg

I have been thinking about doing a storyline: input? advice? skillet?

brokecracker on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That is one dapper crow. I laughed aloud on this one, it's a great image. I feel you probably could still trim down the delivery by a frame or two for better effect, but with this one it doesn't detract too much. Shorter is better with this sort of thing. The new font is a hundred times better than the previous ones. It's easy to read and matches your line weight for the bubbles pretty consistently.

For your storyline, are you talking a persistent story (like Questionable Content or PvP) or an arc based storyline of 2-3 pages?

Enc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the feedback Enc! You are probably right about trimming down the setup for the joke. I forget that I don't HAVE to use six panels if I don't need them.

As for storyline, I would be more interested in short archs then anything else. I don't think I post often enough to do anything like QC or PVP. I just was wondering if, as web comic readers, do you prefer one-offs with the same characters or short story archs to get to know the characters better? Which would you rather read? (keep in mind I only post once a week, between work and parenthood uping the output is not much of an option right now)

brokecracker on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The difficulty lies not with which is preferred, most folk read a few of both (I read about 20 regularly, split about 50/50 on one strip and serial), but the question should be about what you can sell better as an artist. If you are asking, you probably haven't thought enough about it.

If you were to sell your comic, what would you be selling? Something to provide entertainment or something to make people think? Would you want to sell the deep story of these characters you created, or sell the weekly topic that you want to discuss at the time? They both have advantages.

The disadvantage of short arcs is, if a new reader doesn't know this and is showing up and doesn't get the joke on first page view, it can be a turnoff. Most short gags have their own humor building in each one. Fine on it's own, better with the lot.

Enc on
  • Options
    Wow. It has been a while.

I have a bunch of new paintings for an upcoming Halloween art show and thought I would get some crits before I hang them out for the public to ridicule:

100_2707.jpg

100_2709.jpg

100_2711.jpg

100_2710.jpg

100_2708.jpg

100_2706.jpg

100_2704.jpg

100_2705.jpg

Like I said, any advice or crits would be helpful.