As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14: Where crafting is half the battle! [FFXIV crafting]

• Options
    IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peryton wrote: »
    Have any of you found a location with lowish level wind elementals at all? I've been soloing puks in Cassiopeia's and in the east room there is a little island in the middle with 3 very fast respawning puks that have a rare chance of spawning as water elementals that con orange to me at 24 but aren't too hard, and they have a decent chance to drop a water cluster and/or 6 water crystals which is nice.

On the shore east of Cedarwood in La Noscea, there's a little peninsula that juts out (not the three-pronged one, the circular one north of that, that is much smaller) where I do one of my r30 fishing quests. I have done three r30 quests, and all three times there has been a wind elemental there. Since the Cassiopeia Hallow quests are r30 as well, I would assume they are roughly the same level as the elementals that spawn there. Just as an FYI, I've seen that water elemental also spawn as a lightning elemental, depending on the weather. There is another elemental that spawns in one of the other rooms there too.

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I could use an upgraded spear/harpoon if anyone can make one or pass me an old one. I'm only r7 right now, but I'm going to run up to at least 20. I love archer, but the storage requirements for arrows are killing me. Actually, they're killing the people in my party when I run out. As an archer I'm far enough way that I can employ Cowardly Retreat quite effectively :P

Also, any weavers in the 15-22 range, I have crow feathers and copper fish hooks. Add some hempen yarn and you have a great skillup item, the Crow Fly. It skills up like a cotton item but it uses hemp. Plus, it doesn't use earth shards (4 wind, 4 water) which is nice if you're focusing on weaving. They stack to 99, so 33 synths only take up 1 inventory slot. At 24 I still get 150-200 sp on them.

I also have moko grass up on my retainer that I would glady donate to any starting weavers. In addition, I have a bunch of sheepskins and sheep leather that I eventually will grind through, but if you have a need for them I'll toss them your way.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I also have moko grass up on my retainer that I would glady donate to any starting weavers. In addition, I have a bunch of sheepskins and sheep leather that I eventually will grind through, but if you have a need for them I'll toss them your way.

If they're still around and taking up space you need, I might liberate you of the Moko Grass - Weaver's the last DoH on my list to start. I'll have to have a big inventory/retainer cleanout; I don't think anything is worth selling (Bunch of walnuts and marmot meat, various sands and stuff). Also have a boatload of ore to synth as long as fire crystals keep coming in.

I could offer the ore for newer smiths to synth into nuggets if they gain from it, it only gives me around 100 per now - could keep some of the nuggets, too.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cool. My retainer is in Uld, and I'm logged nearby, so if you're there tonight I can pass them along.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    MoiraMoira Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gally gave me a bunch of foodstuff from his travels today. If you pick up random food items, let me know. Here's a few things I'm keeping an eye out for. Some can be bought from vendors, but they are found out in the world too. The only +items I can take right now are Dodo eggs and pineapple. If any other cooks need salted butter, I have a bunch in stock.
    • Aldgoat Milk
    • Blood Currant
    • Ruby Tomato
    • Pineapple
    • Lemons
    • Laurel
    • Parsley
    • Basil
    • Garlic
    • Black Pepper
    • Dodo Eggs, including HQ
    • Non-HQ Meats of any kind
    • Various crazy looking fish: Rainbow Trout, Salmon, Helmet Crab, Rock Lobster, Nautilus
    Let me know if you have any food requests.

We're still trying to figure out the output recipes, but I can make r15 gathering, r25 control, r17-22 DoM, and r15-20 DoW.

Moira on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

If they're still around and taking up space you need, I might liberate you of the Moko Grass - Weaver's the last DoH on my list to start. I'll have to have a big inventory/retainer cleanout; I don't think anything is worth selling (Bunch of walnuts and marmot meat, various sands and stuff). Also have a boatload of ore to synth as long as fire crystals keep coming in.

I could offer the ore for newer smiths to synth into nuggets if they gain from it, it only gives me around 100 per now - could keep some of the nuggets, too.

Drop me a line when you're to the point where you can make hempen gear, but not the cloth quite yet, and I'll give you some undyed hemp (I have the better part of a stack laying around).

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have characters and provisions working for the site. That includes dynamic searching and adding items via YG, with hover-over tooltips! (That took like an entire night by itself.)

I will probably host that part of it at least as soon as I get the hosting up; realistically sometime this weekend, since it will also involve database configuration. I might also get some level of requests working by then.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    jdmichal wrote: »
    I have characters and provisions working for the site. That includes dynamic searching and adding items via YG, with hover-over tooltips! (That took like an entire night by itself.)

I will probably host that part of it at least as soon as I get the hosting up; realistically sometime this weekend, since it will also involve database configuration. I might also get some level of requests working by then.

Exciting! I actually saw you playing last night and resisted the urge to yell at you to get back to work :P

Thanks for what sounds like a whole lot of effort, it's appreciated.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    AtomBomb wrote: »

Exciting! I actually saw you playing last night and resisted the urge to yell at you to get back to work :P

Thanks for what sounds like a whole lot of effort, it's appreciated.

Hey, I only really get one solid night a week to play. But I can code during lots of nights. So thanks for not yelling at me :)

Also, the final product is woefully small. It's all the random flailing I did between the empty page and that final product that's taking so much time!

jdmichal on
  • Options
    funkydue01funkydue01 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Talking about food a bit more, if any one has any request just let me know. It's hard to have a stockpile when I don't know what any one wants so just let us cooks know what you guys want and I can be on the lookout for the mats. Also i'm Renier in game.

funkydue01 on
    Game ID's
    (FFXIV:Renier Avanti - Wutai) (WoW:Kaelos - Malorne) (SC2: funkydue.219) (360/Steam: funkydue)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't know much about food effects, but the grilled trout were pretty nice. I'd be happy to try ANY crafting foods.

I really wish they would show their effects on the attribute screen. With all the hot/cold streaks I've gone on I can't say for sure what has worked for me and what hasn't. I found someone selling Tuna Miq'abobs yesterday, but they didn't seem as good as the grilled trout. Only tried one.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The tuna is R35 crafting food, which may be why it didn't seem as good as the trout, which is R25 and probably way more appropriate for you. Speaking of, Moira I needs to see you tonight because I need to offload this fish. Also Mheso, I have Helmet Crabs and Tarantulas plz. My inventory is screaming.

edit: and also Sea Cucumbers if you want to turn some Dark Bass into glue and save yourself some inventory space?

luv,

fisherlady

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    YG usually has the effect listed. I will try and make a chart when I get home.

funkydue01 on
    Game ID's
    (FFXIV:Renier Avanti - Wutai) (WoW:Kaelos - Malorne) (SC2: funkydue.219) (360/Steam: funkydue)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I usually use YG, but I was having better luck finding food effects with Zam. Tuna Miq'abobs, Grilled Trout and Grilled Carp are both +5 control/accuracy according to them. The recommended levels are 35/25/10, which as WHM said might be why the trout seemed to work best. Or I could have just been having shit dice rolls.

Anyone seen anything credible about stats (STR/VIT/DEX/INT/MND/PIE) affecting crafting? Right now I'm at 70/55/90 STR/VIT/DEX, but still base 13/14/15 on INT/MND/PIE. I was thinking of moving to a DoM class, and if my current musclebound idiot stats are boning me on WVR that would probably push me to do it.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=1286839511179099217&howmany=50

I use this list of datamined food, but from what I've heard by talking to other folks, the effects seem to actually be more along the lines of a scaling percentage than what is listed there (which would make more sense than both a R5 food and a R35 food adding the same +5 control).

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for that ^^ I'm going to start chugging distilled water until I get restocked on proper crafting food. It's +5 mag. craftsmanship and I've got 200 of them from leveling ALC.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have heard that stats affect trade skills as well.

funkydue01 on
    Game ID's
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    April can i get 3 pieces of red cotton cloth? Imma make cotton bandannas with the 3 hyena fangs peda gave me.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Was looking at YG. Flourite is from R5 nodes in Coerthas near Dragonhead camp

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Greg USN wrote: »
    April can i get 3 pieces of red cotton cloth? Imma make cotton bandannas with the 3 hyena fangs peda gave me.

Sure, I'll make 'em up tonight. I logged in LL but I'm bound in Uld.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nutmeg, if any one sees nutmeg for about 200 ish let me know or buy it and I will pay you back, I need it to crank out grilled trout.

funkydue01 on
    Game ID's
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    funkydue01 wrote: »
    Nutmeg, if any one sees nutmeg for about 200 ish let me know or buy it and I will pay you back, I need it to crank out grilled trout.
    i might have some on my retainer, i'll check when in get in later

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I read about this and April confirmed it last night: if you're doing particularly tough leve synths or maybe want to jack up your durability/appraisal, you can replace supplied leve components with your own +1/2/3 components in the synth window. Seems like it would be super helpful for maybe leves with mark rewards that are tough or something, I don't do a lot of crafting leves but it seemed pretty neat.

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My current hypothesis regarding moon phases is as follows:

Moon phases effect synthesis (and perhaps other actions, but synthesis is the focus of this hypothesis) based on the phase of the moon and the type of the moon.

The moon has eight phases:

New
    Waxing Crescent
    Waxing Half
    Waxing Gibbous
    Full
    Waning Gibbous
    Waning Half
    Waning Crescent

This cycle constitutes a lunar month. Lunar months are numbered, and on odd months we have an "Astral" moon, where as even months have an "Umbral" moon. Astral moons impart a positive effect, where as Umbral moons impart a negative effect.

During an Astral moon, you may have slightly increased chances of success, reduced chances of unstable element failures, and reduced chances of chaotic element failures. During an Umbral moon, you may have slightly decreased chances of success, increased chances of unstable element failures and increased chances of chaotic element failures.

In summary, the type of the moon determines the positive or negative effect on your synthesis. The phase of the moon then determines the strength of this positive or negative effect.

So a Full Astral moon will give the highest benefit, where as a Full Umbral moon will give the highest penalty. New moons may in fact be "neutral" moons. But they may also have some small effect. It's hard to say without extensive testing. But what is certain is that right now we're approaching a Full Umbral moon, so if this hypothesis is correct, things will be pretty shitty for synthesis.

What I would like are some stories that can give anecdotal support or refutation to this hypothesis. If it seems plausible, we can investigate it further (especially once we have several r50s).

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, I reserve the right to claim additional complicating factors such as interactions between moon and nameday, crystal type, job, etc.

a puddle on
  • Options
    SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Far be it for me to imply that Square Enix is in any way /fair/, but at least in XI there was no moon condition that was purely negative.

Full Moon gave the highest chance of success, sure (and that's what you were examining in your hypothesis), but it also gave the lowest chance of HQ. New Moon was the inverse.

I haven't paid close enough attention (as I probably should have...) to Umbral/Astral shift, but I *have* observed wildly disparate results across two Full Moons, at least enough to suggest that there is *some* variance due to that.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that perhaps there is still a reason to try crafting on Umbral/Full.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just to clarify, I'm looking entirely at success rate for synthesis actions right now and nothing else. I want to keep it simple initially.

It's possible to do a full MANOVA study for this, but it's best to start small. Any significant findings would take months of data collection anyway. ANOVA/MANOVA/ANCOVA, etc tests are kind of useless without large data pools. And I want any reporting to be absolutely definitive and unassailable.

So in-depth analysis will be a summer project.

a puddle on
  • Options
    nianianianianiania Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Everyone's favorite ClawShrimp-WeAreNiceGuys-WhateverOurLSIsNamedNow, non-crafter, reporting in!

Has someone made a list of Mats that we need to gather? I have no interest in crafting myself, but it would be rad to help out, and know what I need to save (and who to give it to), and what to safely vendor trash.

I just hate to see stuff go to waste, yanno? Just sayin'.

nianiania on
    2014 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Hufflepuff: Death Eaters / Head of House
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    List of mats to gather:

Everything

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    nianiania wrote: »
    Everyone's favorite ClawShrimp-WeAreNiceGuys-WhateverOurLSIsNamedNow, non-crafter, reporting in!

Has someone made a list of Mats that we need to gather? I have no interest in crafting myself, but it would be rad to help out, and know what I need to save (and who to give it to), and what to safely vendor trash.

We should have this in a couple days, in the form of a trading post website.

My biggest problem right now (other than the site not being completely done) is picking a domain name.

jdmichal on
  • Options
    nianianianianiania Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    a puddle wrote: »
    List of mats to gather:

Everything

If only my retainer had infinite item slots.

nianiania on
    2014 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Hufflepuff: Death Eaters / Head of House
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

We should have this in a couple days, in the form of a trading post website.

My biggest problem right now (other than the site not being completely done) is picking a domain name.

PALSIEo the penny arcade link shell item exchange?

that, or the wangexchange

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    The Merch's trading post.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I demand it be Merch related.

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    a puddle wrote: »
    List of mats to gather:

Everything

If only my retainer had infinite item slots.

YG is pretty good on this. It will at least keep you from vendoring really valuable stuff.

As for the website, I nominate wangcraft.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I nominate Heads, Butts and Shafts: The Penny Arcade Crafting Site!

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    That's... that's pretty good.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think the site is pretty much ready for initial release at this point.

Thanks for all the suggestions for the site name. I chose Gally's "Heads, Butts and Shafts: The Penny Arcade Crafting Site!" as the page title, and Maguano's wangexchange as the subdomain.

I'm still trying to figure out a main domain name with my brother. (A example domain name being penny-arcade.com) Still open to suggestions on this front, but we'd prefer something that could at least pass as professional.

jdmichal on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Professional as in, you'd like it to have other uses besides FFXIV? I'd be willing to put wangexchange.com on my hosting package if you just don't want to spend the bucks on a BS domain because I really like it.

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yet-another-domain-name.com

On a more serious note, shoot Khoo an E-Mail and ask if he would bless the use of something like

penny-arcade-community.com or something.

Just_Bri_Thanks on