As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]sgiving is over; onward to [CHAT]smas!

• AimAim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Reminds me of the Tom and Jerry episode on vg cats: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=207

Aim on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Paradise on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know about you guys but I sure do feel like a Winston Cigarette, it apparently delivers flavor 20 times a pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c&feature=&p=F827284D29FCC67D&index=0&playnext=1

Mustang on
    edited October 2010
    Neanderthals: they hook you in with a funny joke, and then they give you cancer.

Paradise on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck student loans. I mean seriously.

Also: companies, please give me a job. Please please. ugh please

I'm with you on the student loans. Okay, I mean they're great because without them I couldn't go to college. Whatever. The other day I got an email saying that they added on some interest again, so I went to my account to pay it (because I will not pay interest on my interest; that is ridiculous). Then I saw my balance and it kind of hit me that once I graduate I will be $20,000 in debt.
    Bluh.

lyrium on
  • IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love that back in the day Flintstones was like a sitcom kids and adults watched. It's why they have cigarette commercials like so.

Also found some cool lectures on Vermeer, just got done with the first one and it was pretty informational. I would throw this up on Ryan's forum, but I have no ideal where.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
    edited October 2010
    Ikage wrote:
    I love that back in the day Flintstones was like a sitcom kids and adults watched. It's why they have cigarette commercials like so.

I hate to say it, but cigarette advertisers always directed their marketing beam at youth culture. It was far easier to hook the young than try to get older smokers to switch brands.
    You really did have to admire their complete lack of moral conscience, shutting up that little voice in your head that tells you that you're up there with Hitler really must have taken a lot of alcohol and pills to subdue.

Mustang on
    edited October 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    Ikage wrote:

I hate to say it, but cigarette advertisers always directed their marketing beam at youth culture. It was far easier to hook the young than try to get older smokers to switch brands.
    You really did have to admire their complete lack of moral conscience, shutting up that little voice in your head that tells you that you're up there with Hitler really must have taken a lot of alcohol and pills to subdue.

Speaking of cigarettes, seems the truth is really pushing their new anti-cigarette campaign Shards O' Glass stating how cigarette ads should be made. Doesn't seem to have the same impact as their old ads though where it was more fact driven. Where they left you with a " Wow...really?...That is frightening to know." thought after. They always initiated conversation between my mom and my sisters about the smoking industry.

Ikage on
    edited October 2010
    There's a good one running here at the moment with a mum in her low-40's about to explain to her two young children that she has lung cancer.

Mustang on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gosh I am glad I don't watch TV anymore. I don't need commercials bringing me to tears every time I want to watch 30 Rock.

lyrium on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish I had a neilson box... then I'd actually have a reason to support my favorite shows when their air. Otherwise I can just get them on hulu when it no longer matters :/

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited October 2010
    I hate hulu and it's lousy "You're not an American, so fuck off" policy.
    If I weren't so lazy i'd route through a proxy and show them what for.

Mustang on
    edited October 2010
    do it anyway. That is true laziness

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm now in my 5th week of a drawing slump. All i've done is a few doodle sketches and worked occasionally on an oil painitng ive been tackling for about 2 months. I have no motivation, have no idea what to draw, everything i do looks like shit. I have been busy with things like job hunting and interviews, and in my free time ive been doing loads of reading. art shouldnt be a chore, it should be fun - but i havnt had much fun the last few months.

does anyone else ever have a long period where they have no motivation to draw? im starting to think the only reason i've kept at it is because i dont want to fail. Even then i still dont know what im trying to accomplish by doing art.

I think i have too much time on my hands - thats my problem.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited October 2010
    I went through months at a time. I think my biggest dry period was 8 months. Drew a little then stopped because I felt it all looked so bad.

Then I just got fed up, decided I wanted to stop drawing so shitty and started studying and....

~*~Here I am today~*~

Ikage on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Once in the summer holidays a couple of years back. I became a tf2 master afterwards though (top of the server on every server I got in)... But yeah it was really hard to get going again. The most important thing back then was to get inspiration and luckily we go to exhibitions once a month or so.

m3nace on
  • MrReeduxMrReedux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    @winter_combat_night

I have slumps ever month where I probably spend a week doing just nothing in terms of drawing.
    I feel guilty about it, but at the same time I think its very healthy because I don't want to burn out.
    So spending a week doing whatever, like play games or take up a new hobby (I just got my first starter deck in Magic the gathering) or just allow yourself to be the worst goddamn slacker in the world.

Then, go back to drawing.

And this next advice you already know, cause its common fucking sense.
    Just don't care so much. FAILING is GOOD, every time you fail you learn something, then you use what you learned to ... yes, fail again. And then you punch a hole in the wall. But never give up. In my experience, frustration builds up, more and more over time, to the point where you dont wanna do anything but sleep all day. But if you get up anyway, and do just the tiniest bit of work even then. Something will come up and relieve all that stress. Happens -every- time.

Trust me, you don't want to work in a factory 9hours a day with no breaks and live on bread and water and the occasional gross pizza. I've been there, that's enough to motivate me to do -whatever- to not be there again.

On a side note, I still have no clue what I want to accomplish by doing art. I just like to draw. So I draw. That's enough for me :)
    If drawing ever feels like a chore, I stop. Do something else, then I try to draw again. Draw and have fun, don't be too hard or yourself for not doing that light study you've been putting off.
    You learn to draw even from just doodling dicks in your sketchbook. Eventually those dicks will look very realistic.

MrReedux on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69364&dateline=1289087957
    edited October 2010
    I'm in a slump right now, apart from a few half assed sketches on old envelops I've drawn nothing in weeks.

Mustang on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey folks - reading those replies actually make me feel a little more positive.

I'll just let this lack of motivation pass. If i feel like drawing again - all good. If i dont - no big deal.
    I guess even musicians dont sing and play instruments 24/7. So why the hell should artists and illustrators?

mrreedux - speaking of new hobbies - i'm obsessed with astronomy lately. I cant wait till summer, will hopefully drive out to a dark spot and go looking at the skies. man ive never even looked at the skies at night.

winter_combat_knight on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    just saw the social network. quite enjoyed it.

r-jasper on
    edited October 2010
    According to some stupid jerk in New Jersey, Kiki's Delivery Service is the all time greatest depiction of a person struggling with a creative block (which, I might add, leads her to reassess her whole perspective on and approach to the way she goes about her life).

Also, I think I'm starting to understand this whole 'hot librarian' thing. This development stems from being in a library that has hot librarians in it.

Paradise on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    *ring*

"Hello?"

"Hi, I know you're busy, but I was wondering if you could help me with something really quick... see, I need you to make me a logo by 11:00 for my bowling team. We're gonna print the shirts today"

"I'm really busy right now, I don't really have the time to do it"

"Well, can you walk me through the program and I'll do it myself?"

As if that was gonna take 5 minutes. What do people think, you just push a couple of buttons and a logo comes out?

MagicToaster on
  • MrReeduxMrReedux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    *ring*

"Hello?"

"Hi, I know you're busy, but I was wondering if you could help me with something really quick... see, I need you to make me a logo by 11:00 for my bowling team. We're gonna print the shirts today"

"I'm really busy right now, I don't really have the time to do it"

"Well, can you walk me through the program and I'll do it myself?"

As if that was gonna take 5 minutes. What do people think, you just push a couple of buttons and a logo comes out?

Yes... actually they do.
    Everyone I've met, even people who aren't -that- bad at computers all have a skeptical opinion about digital art/design/graphics.
    Traditional painters are the worst kind, as they assume everything done digitally consists of using filters and "Make pwetty drawing" buttons.
    A digital artist is after all not a -real- artist. Hah.

And people who just want graphics or logos, gawd.. they assume it takes 10minutes and think you should be paid less if it doesn't :(

(I do know of traditional artists who just prefer it over digital, and some clients who have a slight idea of design, I'm referring to the extreme cases)

MrReedux on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69364&dateline=1289087957
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    This was on Clients From Hell yesterday:
    Client: ”A hundred dollars?! For a hundred dollars, I would expect a hundred logos!”

DMAC on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha
    Client: I’m don’t pay for design! Design is your responsibility as designer!

Stop getting work from Bizarro!

Fugitive on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I'm playing Chrono Trigger for the first time. It's pretty sweet! Really loving the combat system.

TheBog on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuuuuuuuuuck, I feel like I've hit a wall.

I'm in my last year of college, right now with massive debt, and I feel like I have nothing to show for it. I feel like every one around me is getting hired for internships, or jobs, or doing way more work than I am. I feel like I'm so god damn behind with everything. My resume is sparse, and I feel like I haven't even made any connections at school. All the connections/friends I DID have dropped out.

I keep seeing shit on facebook of classmates doing so much more. I'm feeling like a failure right now, even though I feel like I work constantly. Constant work on bullshit that I don't even think is good enough to be put in my portfolio.

I keep on thinking how fucking HARD it's going to be to get jobs with out any internship experience or anything. I feel so overwhelmed, almost to the point of crying. God damn. I don't even know how to go about getting freelance shit. I know I'm a good artist, I just don't have the money to pay for fucking dreamweaver to build a website for my self, let alone PAY someone to do it for me.

Sorry for the rant. It just feels a little better to get it out.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Get off facebook. I dont mean like delete your account, but try and let it be background noise. You cant live by constantly measuring your life on what others are doing, go at your pace, just work as hard as you can manage. Its simply all that you can do.

Iruka on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alyce, calm down and focus on what you need to do right now.

Sometimes you just have to live from moment to moment when things feel overwhelming. If you have to break jobs down into easier steps until you're crossing "get up from the table" off your to-do list, then so be it.

Metalbourne on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DMAC wrote: »
    This was on Clients From Hell yesterday:
    Client: ”A hundred dollars?! For a hundred dollars, I would expect a hundred logos!”

Some people. . . I have a boss that sounds just like all of those :?

ninjai on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love giving people quotes and having them just go ballistic.

So good.

wakkawa on
    edited October 2010
    God, my boss frustrates me to no end.

We have a promo book that is 6" x 9", we have a flyer that is 6" x 9". Our supplier has an envelope that is 6" x 9". What does he want? An envelope that is 12" x 9"!!! He says "Bigger is always better"

No, no it's not! That envelope will have things jiggling around inside! That envelope is huge! No mailbox can hold it! Why are you sending two tiny promos in a giant envelope?!

"It has more impact! This tiny one... it's a little meh, how is it supposed to grab my attention"

The envelope has the person's name streaming across the face of the mail envelope, how does that not grab your attention? Everyone on the marketing team suggested the small one, no... his authority trumps everything... we shall print the big envelope, even though it makes no sense.

MagicToaster on
    edited October 2010
    Everything I have ever heard from any source suggests that working in graphic design and advertising is the most frustrating torture, 24/7

Fugitive on
    edited October 2010
    I don't think Olly Moss would say that.

But maybe he would.

Nappuccino on

edited October 2010
    Olly Moss is also mostly self-employed, I thought? And he seems like he's made enough of a name for himself that he doesn't need to take jobs from deadbeats who want to use him for free services.

I get the feeling Threadless and Time don't expect him to work for free/cheap.

Fugitive on
    edited October 2010
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Everything I have ever heard from any source suggests that working in graphic design and advertising is the most frustrating torture, 24/7

When it's fun, it's really fun! I've gotten to do a lot of really interesting work, today I made an envelope! But when it sucks, it sucks really bad.

Thinking about making envelopes makes me smile. Even as I write this I'm smiling because I'm thinking of how to make a more efficient flap system.

MagicToaster on
    edited October 2010
    Maybe that's it

Maybe it's because I don't get as hot and bothered by efficient flap systems as some other people do, and that's why I don't see the counter balance to working with absolute idiots.

Fugitive on
  • MyntMynt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not just limited to graphic design... I think It's the eternal struggle of working for someone else's vision. As creatives, I think we all want some degree of control... but when someone else is writing your paycheck, you forfeit that control. If you're talented (and lucky), you'll have the benefit of being able to decide if the amount of control you're forfeiting is worth the money you'll be receiving. If not, you can always walk. This is why it's so important to ask the right questions before accepting a contract.

Right now for me, I'm salaried up... so my freelancing is gone by the wayside for now. Even still, I battle with my boss from time to time between what's good design, and what sells the product. While I do get a lot of creative control, at the end of the day, it's her company and her decision and I have to respect that as an employee. Even if it goes against my artistic integrity a little.

The ideal of course would be to be the one making the art AND calling the shots business-wise. But until the day I can live off of my own creations, I'll be working for someone else. Don't get me wrong, I really LOVE my job, but every hour I'm here, I wish I was at home creating my own visions instead. I'd probably have to work twice as hard, for a lot less money, but in the end I'd be a happier person. Here's to the dream... :)

/rant

Mynt on
    edited October 2010
    Olly Moss is also mostly self-employed, I thought? And he seems like he's made enough of a name for himself that he doesn't need to take jobs from deadbeats who want to use him for free services.

I get the feeling Threadless and Time don't expect him to work for free/cheap.

Well yes... He's one of the lucky few who got a great break early on and kept the momentum going. But that's why I brought him up. Gotta love the outliers :)

Nappuccino on

edited October 2010
    Maybe that's it

Maybe it's because I don't get as hot and bothered by efficient flap systems as some other people do, and that's why I don't see the counter balance to working with absolute idiots.

A great point about doing company gigs is the amazing budget. "Do you need a $2,000 monitor? Sure! oh, two? Done!"

I've learned about so many print things that I could never do on my own budget at work. How else could I learn the difference that the weather has on flat press printing the same design; one on a rainy day and the other on a clear day.

Though, working under someone is not always easy.

MagicToaster on
This discussion has been closed.