As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Don't Get to 0-5 Without a Team Effort [NFL]

1707172737476»

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Apolloh wrote: »
    How are the Raiders not lovable

they just put up fifty nine adorable points Sunday

Well the fact they are run by someone who made a demonic pact to stay alive is pretty awful.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How are the Raiders not lovable? You don't live in an area with a lot of Raiders fans obviously.

Also JaMarcus fucking Russell.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The entire decade of 1970 forever ruined the lovability of the Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The entire decade of 1970 forever ruined the lovability of the Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders.

Actually the Raiders were probably at their most lovable in the 70s. Al Davis actually being a dynamic rebel rather than his modern decrepit vampire/zombie/Mr. Burns iteration, CBs playing bump n run all game, QBs chucking it deep, safeties who took guys' heads off, guys with badass nicknames like Snake, Dr. Death, and The Assassin, all being orchestrated by a big fat guy as coach.

Their getting jobbed on the Immaculate "Reception" gives them a sympathetic angle, too.

BubbaT on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    well those are the LA raiders
    much different than the Oakland raiders
    LA raiders had the likes of NWA behind them which was awesome

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2010
    No the 70s Raiders were Oakland. The LA Raiders were in the 80s to mid-90s. The LA/80s Raiders weren't as lovable, due to Al Davis being a jackass by basically trying to declare the entire state of California as being within his sphere of influence, as well as starting stupid feuds with Marcus Allen and Mike Shanahan.

They did have Bo Jackson going for them, though. I miss that guy, rich man's Adrian Peterson.

BubbaT on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

Actually the Raiders were probably at their most lovable in the 70s. Al Davis actually being a dynamic rebel rather than his modern decrepit vampire/zombie/Mr. Burns iteration, CBs playing bump n run all game, QBs chucking it deep, safeties who took guys' heads off, guys with badass nicknames like Snake, Dr. Death, and The Assassin, all being orchestrated by a big fat guy as coach.

Their getting jobbed on the Immaculate "Reception" gives them a sympathetic angle, too.

Fuck the 1970s Raiders
    Rolen.Bio.02.gif

I'd say fuck them now too but I don't want to encourage necrophilia.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They did have Bo Jackson going for them, though. I miss that guy, rich man's Adrian Peterson.

I hated Bo with the Raiders, for 2 very important reasons:

1.) I'm a die-hard Chiefs fan, so anything that helps the Raiders sucks on principle

and

2.) I'm also a Royals fan, and because he had to be Mr. Two-Sport-Superstar, his hip got fucked and we lost out on a once in a lifetime baseball talent (yes, I know he struck out a shitload, but that number went down every year and when he did make contact it went up to 460 feet (motherfucker knocked out part of the scoreboard in center-field), not to mention he could run up outfield walls and throw it from the center-field warning track to home plate on the fly).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I hated Bo with the Raiders, for 2 very important reasons:

1.) I'm a die-hard Chiefs fan, so anything that helps the Raiders sucks on principle

and

2.) I'm also a Royals fan, and because he had to be Mr. Two-Sport-Superstar, his hip got fucked and we lost out on a once in a lifetime baseball talent (yes, I know he struck out a shitload, but that number went down every year and when he did make contact it went up to 460 feet (motherfucker knocked out part of the scoreboard in center-field), not to mention he could run up outfield walls and throw it from the center-field warning track to home plate on the fly).

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited October 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

Fuck the 1970s Raiders
    Rolen.Bio.02.gif

Stingley himself described that hit as a freak accident. And Madden visited him daily in the hospital, the 2 ended up good friends. Tatum said he went to the hospital too, but Stingley's family wouldn't let him in.

BubbaT on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Fuck the 1970s Raiders
    Rolen.Bio.02.gif

Stingley himself described that hit as a freak accident. And Madden visited him daily in the hospital, the 2 ended up good friends. Tatum said he went to the hospital too, but Stingley's family wouldn't let him in.

It was a clean hit, just an accident.

Cabezone on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Tatum profited off the Stingley hit. I never believed a word he said about trying to be Darryl's friend but being rejected.

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »

Fuck the 1970s Raiders
    Rolen.Bio.02.gif

It was a clean hit, just an accident.
    And Tatum never attempted to apologize. He claims he tried to go the hospital but no one else has backed that up and he didn't make the claim until decades later. Over the next 30 years the only time he tried to contact Stingley it was to meet on camera to promote one of his books. Stingley said he'd welcome a conversation but not as a spectacle to make Tatum money. Tatum never took him up on it. If you paralyze someone and show absolutely no remorse (even if it was unintentional) you're a terrible human being.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well who got the last laugh in that one?

mrt144 on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Neither cuz they're both dead.

Edit: Oh wait

5WRH.jpg

It took 31 years but there you have it.

JustinSane07 on
  • ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    How are the Raiders not lovable? You don't live in an area with a lot of Raiders fans obviously.

I did, actually

and why do you mention he who must not be named

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
    edited October 2010
    Tatum profited off the Stingley hit. I never believed a word he said about trying to be Darryl's friend but being rejected.

Fair enough, but what about Madden? Madden was a Raider too. Why is Tatum's post-career actions more indicative of the Raiders than Madden's as the then-active head coach?

BubbaT on
    edited October 2010

Fair enough, but what about Madden? Madden was a Raider too. Why is Tatum's post-career actions more indicative of the Raiders than Madden's as the then-active head coach?

The Raiders have always been at their core about Al Davis. And Al Davis was an ass in the 70s too. They prided themselves on being dirty, and cheap shot artists. That's the Raider's persona. The fact that some like Madden didn't act like soulless monster when one of their own crippled a player in the preseason doesn't excuse them

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am a Royals fan as well as a Twins fan and loved watching Bo Jackson play as a kid. I remember his house was 10 minutes away from mine by bike in KC. He had a soild gold sign on his front door that said "No autographs, please."

Also, because of a stat correction for Week 7 I ended up losing a fantasy matchup in another league. This has been the unluckiest season ever. I've lost by .15 points, .75 points and now I lost by 1.2 points on a stat correction.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hahaha. Purple drank

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Apolloh wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »

I did, actually

and why do you mention he who must not be named

Raiders fans are just so...UGH.

And because Al Davis actually DRAFTED his ass, that's why.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ugghh is there any situation where brett favre can't find himself a headline?
    are we doomed to this for all of time?
    where after he dies, its all going to be "will he come back as a zombie and play for 2050 laser football league?"
    bah

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm confused. How do you catch beams of light?

Unless the laser beams ARE the players.

woah

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ChibaChiba Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So which QB/WR combo should I start this week?

Ben(@NO)/Wallace(@NO)
    Ben/Bess(@CIN)
    Orton(@SF)/Wallace
    Orton/Bess

Chiba on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If Porter and Greer are back this week, I wouldn't play Ben.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You play Ben no matter what

Bess or Wallace is a toss up

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Time for a new [strike]fuck yes the Chiefs[/strike]NFL thread.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.