As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Startled the [Chat]!

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
250px-Witch_2.PNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxMn37ukUt4

This [chat] is for all those people who like to sit down and cry. In the middle of recently depopulated areas.

Mooooooan...yeah that shit feels good.

Excuse me, I'm feeling a little down at the moment, can you give me some space?

I said leave me alone, and turn off that flashlight.

Goddammit, what's a gal got to do to be emo in peace?!

Fuck it, WAAAAAAARGHBLBLBLBLBLBLE *Slash Slash Hack*

YOU ARE DEAD

RMS Oceanic on

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bulgarian girl cries as stress-relief.

But fewer people die if you disturb her during it.

electricitylikesme on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are two scenes in Toy Story 3 that startle me.
    1. The Furnace Scene. I don't think I need to elaborate on that one.
    2. The scene where Lotso starts ranting about toys being ultimately trash. You know he's a sinister pink bear, but when he basically loses control and looks like he's gonna choke a bitch, the contrast with his warm facade is so stark it's scary.
    When the furnace scene was going on, and it was looking increasingly likely they wouldn't get out it, and they were holding hands, I was like "Holy shit, will...will Pixar really? They can't! Think of the kids! Oh shit! D: Then rescue finally occurs. Bravo Pixar for making us think that though. D:

WMain00 on
  • Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    More dangerous than the witch is the guy who startles the witch in a misguided cr0wning attempt.

Space Coyote on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Arivia: Assuming that by "AF" you mean armed forces, I'm pretty sure the most popular option is either hanging or exsanguination. If you limit it to suicides committed while deployed, I'm sure it's guns.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh dear. The hivvy is spreading through the department. Rapid onset hivvy.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hey i have a probability question...i can't seem to puzzle it out because i don't remember enough probability to search on wiki for what i want

any takers, you geeks?

Arch on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Arivia: Assuming that by "AF" you mean armed forces, I'm pretty sure the most popular option is either hanging or exsanguination. If you limit it to suicides committed while deployed, I'm sure it's guns.

In the submarine force it's guns. People just wait until they are on watch.

Regina Fong on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Post it and we'll see.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ugh i have to leave for school in an hour

James on
    edited October 2010
    Okay so

Say you have an infinite number of scrabble tiles, and an equal amount of each letter (infinite lol)

what is the probability that on a random draw you will be able to spell a word (lets say, Dog)

Would it just be (1/26)^3?

Arch on
    edited October 2010
    Oh, there actually will be voting on the concepts again. I'm actually surprised given how badly it worked out last time.

That said, The New Kid seems decidedly whack. Sand seems okay from the description, but not so hot from the comic. I hope the third option isn't just more D&D fan fiction.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    SEGATA

SANSHIRO

SEGATA SANSHIROOOOOOOOOO

Sheep on
    edited October 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Okay so

Say you have an infinite number of scrabble tiles, and an equal amount of each letter (infinite lol)

what is the probability that on a random draw you will be able to spell a word (lets say, Dog)

For a specific three-letter word then yes. As it's just a 1 in 26 chance three times consequently.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited October 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Okay so

For a specific three-letter word then yes. As it's just a 1 in 26 chance three times consequently.

man this was easier than I thought, I was trying to make it all complicated and shit

so if it was a 20 letter word the probability would be (1/26)^20

or for the actual example i needed this for, if we had an infinite number of amino acids, and they randomly were joining together (disregarding all the physics), the probability of returning the smallest known functional protein (20 amino acids) is

(1/20)^20

Arch on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay so

I think so. Assuming each infinite set is of the same degree of infinity (the same size, essentially), the chance of getting a certain letter is 1/26.

You're doing this three times, and you want three specific letters. So that's the odds of getting D AND O AND G.

When combining probability with an AND (compared to an OR), you multiply the odds together. So it's (1/26) * (1/26) * (1/26).

RMS Oceanic on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay so

Shouldn't it be 6 * (1/26)^3? Three ways to succeed on the first letter, 2 on the second, one on the third. 4 instead of six if a letter is repeated in the target word.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2010
    Okay so

Shouldn't it be 6 * (1/26)^3? Three ways to succeed on the first letter, 2 on the second, one on the third. 4 instead of six if a letter is repeated in the target word.

Dog starts with a D, that is one way to succeed.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wouldn't that just be giving you the correct chance of drawing the correct letters in the correct order, rather than in any combination?

Aroused Bull on
    edited October 2010
    Wouldn't that just be giving you the correct chance of drawing the correct letters in the correct order, rather than in any combination?

that is what i want

the correct letters in the correct order

Arch on
    edited October 2010

Ah, I thought that was what we were doing. I was wrong.

Powerpuppies is right.

It's three possible "wins", then two, then one.

Edit: Ha, no, I'm right!

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited October 2010

that is what i want

Oh. In that case, yes, that's right.

Aroused Bull on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    James wrote: »

hey, so do I...and one hour from when you posted!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

that is what i want

Oh. In that case, yes, that's right.

yee-up.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Res wrote: »

In the submarine force it's guns. People just wait until they are on watch.

there was a guy in my battery who went around stealing bootlaces so he could hang himself.

Apparently he got caught by the fireguard and sent home.

Jokerman on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    James wrote: »

hey, so do I...and one hour from when you posted!

now i have to leave for school in 25 minutes

great going, time

jerk

James on
    edited October 2010
    Wait wait wait

So if I am looking to make a specific thing in a specific order (not just drawing D, O, and G at any time, but drawing them in succession to spell DOG) it is just

(1/26)^3

you guys confused me a bit

Arch on
    edited October 2010
    Wait wait wait

So if I am looking to make a specific thing in a specific order (not just drawing D, O, and G at any time, but drawing them in succession0 it is just

(1/26)^3

you guys confused me a bit

Yes, that's correct.

Aroused Bull on
    edited October 2010
    okay word

thanks geeks

<3

Arch on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I totally had to choke back some blubs in the funrace scene.

Bogart on
    edited October 2010
    You know what really bothers me about Watchmen?

Where are the government research projects trying to figure out how to make more of Dr Manhattan. Where are the legions of desparate people wanting to get disintegrated in intrinsic field subtractors so they can become like Dr Manhattan.

I mean
    Ozymandias gives a bunch of people cancer. Wouldn't, on your death bed, getting disintegrated in a long-shot for immortality and godhood be a fucking worthwhile deal? Why didn't his coworker go for that option?

It seems more telling in the movie when he goes to the effort of poisoning his research staff and then disintegrating them. Like he was worried some of them might be able to come back as Dr Manhattan like entities.

electricitylikesme on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay so

I think so. Assuming each infinite set is of the same degree of infinity (the same size, essentially), the chance of getting a certain letter is 1/26.

You're doing this three times, and you want three specific letters. So that's the odds of getting D AND O AND G.

When combining probability with an AND (compared to an OR), you multiply the odds together. So it's (1/26) * (1/26) * (1/26).

Degree of infinity (known as cardinality) is not the same thing as size (known as ordinality). And it's best not to mix transfinite set theory with probability unless you want a massive headache.

Premier kakos on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Where are the government research projects trying to figure out how to make more of Dr Manhattan. Where are the legions of desparate people wanting to get disintegrated in intrinsic field subtractors so they can become like Dr Manhattan.

I mean
    Ozymandias gives a bunch of people cancer. Wouldn't, on your death bed, getting disintegrated in a long-shot for immortality and godhood be a fucking worthwhile deal? Why didn't his coworker go for that option?

It seems more telling in the movie when he goes to the effort of poisoning his research staff and then disintegrating them. Like he was worried some of them might be able to come back as Dr Manhattan like entities.
    He does that in the novel. Well aside from the disintegrating part

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I mean

The Russians. Just keep on sending loyal dying soldiers into it. They are bound to win the lottery eventually.

Couscous on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No sleep makes me insane.

Couscous on
    edited October 2010

I mean

Wasn't there something in the text segments about the Russians sending dozens of people into disintegration chambers to try and make a counter-Manhatten, and it never worked? Or am I imagining that?

Aroused Bull on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I mean

I can't remember for sure, but I think trying to create a second Manhattan was hinted at, and implied to have no success before it was finally abandoned. Chapter Four also suggested that it Doctor Osterman's psychological makeup is practically unique, meaning he's one of the few people who could have worked it out. So to create another Manhattan, you'd need the mindset of a watch maker and an almost total grasp of atomic structure.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited October 2010
    I don't know. Something about it all bothers me. Like, here's this super-powerful godlike being created with physics. And all I can think of is "if it worked once then it can be made to work again".

And like, Dr Manhattan could probably figure it out and ascend the entire human-race.

electricitylikesme on
    edited October 2010
    It also seems like it would be trivially easy for the doctor to stop 100% of the missiles fired in a hypothetical WW3. Just send everything above the pacific and atlantic ocean flying into space. Or make a 200 mile long wall of viscous jelly between the two countries. Or just make a million of yourself and individually stop each missile.

Hell, before the first shot is fired just make a million of yourself and go turn each nuke into a marshmallow.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2010
    The impression I got was that it was a one in a hundred trillion chance, irreplicable.

Edit: @PP Can he do that? I don't think he can do that.

Aroused Bull on
This discussion has been closed.