As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twilight Imperium] Google Docs are out, confirm access!

RendRend Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Critical Failures
Hey guys, welcome to Twilight Imperium.

I'm Rend. You might remember me from like a day or so ago in the board games thread about this very game/thread.

This is a signup thread for a game of Twilight Imperium. You can click that link to read all you want to about this game, including the full rule set.

For those of you who enjoy research, this thread is the first game of Twilight Imperium i hosted, and this thread is the one game Orange Soda started, but which unfortunately fizzled.

Twilight Imperium is a game of galactic empire building, where six players vie for the throne of Mecatol Rex, the seat of power in the center of the galaxy, through diplomacy, trade, warfare, and politics. The rules are complicated to learn, but flow nicely and are well designed.

Please read through the three links above (read, skim, whatnot) and see if this is something you are interested in. I will be accepting six signups for this game, here are the ground rules:

1. Twilight Imperium is a really really long game.
This game takes somewhere in the order of 6-9 hours to play in person. You gotta block out a weekend for this crap. As a result, this game is unlikely to take anywhere LESS than a few months, especially with the holiday season coming up. If you sign up, please be prepared to still be playing this game in February.

On the bright side, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The decisions you make will be significant for a long time, and rarely if ever is a player knocked so far out of whack that it's impossible for them to pull ahead. And, since it takes so long, you won't need to pay as much direct attention to it as you might, for instance, BSG or Chaos in the Old World.

2. You might want a partner.
In my first game, we doubled up four of the spots. I think it worked out really well, considering we finished it. Making yourself a two-person team is a good way to make sure you don't hold up the game on accident by forgetting to log in, and insurance against making bad decisions based on incorrect rules interpretations/assumptions. If you are new to the game, I strongly recommend you to consider this option.

Another good reason to request a teammate is if you don't think you will be active enough or motivated enough for the game. Having a teammate will not only bring you back more effectively, if you decide to drop out, then we don't have to find someone new.

If you decide to request a two person team, it is critical that you two find an efficient way to communicate with each other, and make decisions communally, or else it will turn into "player/watcher" instead of co-players, etc. Also, just to note, being new to this game does not require you to request a team mate. Make the decision based on how you feel, and we'll run with it.

Please include in your post whether you would like to play on a team of 2 players, controlling the same race, in your signup post.

3. The specifics
This game will be 6 players (really 6 races, if any players are teams of two, that will exceed 6 players). We will be using the base set rules with the expansion strategy (role) cards. Sabotage will be gone over in thread when it is relevant. Races will either be assigned randomly, or players will be dealt a "hand" of races from which to choose.

Galaxy creation will be done by the players in a standard way, and that's how the game will begin. That will happen in this thread.

The new thread comes when Galaxy Creation is complete.

When I log in and update or check the thread, if it is your turn, I will send you a PM to remind you. Don't wait for my PM to take your turn, obviously, the sooner you take your turn the better for the people waiting, but I find that it helped people to remember.

That's about it.

Let's play some Twilight Imperium.

Rend on

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    !signup

I am fine with going it alone, but if there's someone who wants a partner and is having trouble getting one I'd be happy to partner up also.

Lykouragh on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    !signup alone

Excitement

El Skid on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Unless you think I should wait in the wings as a reserve after winning game one. More than willing to play with a partner, if needed, but happy to go it alone as well.

Darian on
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Fine to go alone but I wouldn't mind a partner.

Gene Parmesan on
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Interested! Tough my time schedule is going to be pretty much crap until after election day (November 2nd for all you evil foreigners who haven't moved to 'Merica yet). If you're starting up the game before then (or perhaps even after then), I could be in need of a partner.

Full partner disclosure: I have never played TI, though I try to be both a quick learner and a brutal opponent on boardgames (I have been banned from playing Catchphrase and Scattergories at several of my friends' homes).

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I have played this 3 times in RL. Willing to take a partner. It is my favorite board game.

Alkey42 on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Color me interested!

I've never played before, but this game looks cool as hell. I'm totally open to playing with a partner (preferably one who's played before).

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • PayotPayot Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I don't mind being part of a team, but it's not necessary.

Payot on
    edited October 2010
    How long will signups be open, Rend?

El Skid on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    well, since we already have 8 players, probably not too much longer.

Rend on
    edited October 2010
    Hey, FWD, want an adviser/team-mate? I think we could work well together.

Darian on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Have wanted to play this game but no that I would never find a group of friends that could commit to it.
    !partner up if someone is willing

SeGaTai on
    PSN SeGaTai
    edited October 2010
    So I am going to give priority to people who responded in the board games thread.

Then, probably first come first serve.

I will also probably partner up two to four of the six spots, but we'll see. At this point, we'll wait and see if Blarney wants to participate or partner up or just wait to see if we need someone to step in later, because if he wants in he'll also have priority, but, currently:

Lykouragh
    Skid
    Darian
    Gene
    Susan
    Alkey

...are, in one way or another, in.
    Lykouragh and Darian sound like they are enthusiastic about team play. Particularly, Darian will likely team up with FWD. Payot and SeGaTai are looking for partners, probably sign one of those two with Lykouragh unless the situation shifts a bit.

If you still want to sign up in this thread, dear reader, feel free, but know that the spots are limited.

HOWEVER! If you do sign up in this thread and try and keep some modicum of track of the game thread (it's always a fun time and I also encourage the peanut gallery to make OOC comments about the game not related to advice about decisions or strategy) and someone drops out, there's a good chance you'll be able to snag it.

Rend on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Hey, FWD, want an adviser/team-mate? I think we could work well together.

Sounds good!

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wouldn't mind teaming up with someone. Moving to Australia on Nov 1st, and land on the 3rd, so I'll be blacked out for that stretch.

Mordenthral on
    edited October 2010
    So just checking, we can talk to our partner outside this forum?

Gene Parmesan on
    edited October 2010
    Of course! Last time, Grimmy and I made a proboard to keep track of everything.

Darian on
    edited October 2010
    So just checking, we can talk to our partner outside this forum?

Absolutely. Private communication with your partner is key to playing with one.

Rend on
    edited October 2010
    Private communication with other teams however will be forbidden (I hope)

El Skid on
    edited October 2010
    El Skid wrote: »

Also correct.

To encourage in-thread communication and wheeling/dealing, private communication between the different races will be prohibited.

Rend on
    edited October 2010
    Rend wrote: »

Also correct.

To encourage in-thread communication and wheeling/dealing, private communication between the different races will be prohibited.

Thank you!

I was so sad when i finished one board game here and the other players said "yeah, we worked out a non-aggression pact in secret with the guy that was winning, so I was never going to do the smart thing and attack him anyway." :-/

El Skid on
    edited October 2010
    Teaming up with SeGaTi

Gene Parmesan on
    edited October 2010
    I was so sad when i finished one board game here and the other players said "yeah, we worked out a non-aggression pact in secret with the guy that was winning, so I was never going to do the smart thing and attack him anyway." :-/

Was that diplomacy?

Darian on
    edited October 2010

Was that diplomacy?
    No, it was runewars.

El Skid on
    edited October 2010

Was that diplomacy?
    No, it was runewars.
    whaaaaaaaaat

Rend on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Reserve up! mostly just as an excuse to watch.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited October 2010
    Of course! Last time, Grimmy and I made a proboard to keep track of everything.

This proboard is now unlocked; I thought it already was. Feel free to poke around, if you so desire.

Darian on
    edited October 2010
    Also, if you are playing in this game, please PM me your gmail. I need a gmail address (or something with which you can view a private google doc). Yes, please do this even if I already have your email address. It's for records purposes :p

Thanks.

Rend on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Reserve up

I played in your first game. I don't know how well I'd be able to participate in this, but I will take over for someone that drops. I'll also be willing to partner up with someone that needs/wants one.

I have played this game quite a few times outside 1 1/2 games on these boards, so I am very confident I can be helpful to a newer player.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    I'll have something for you guys hopefully this evening or tomorrow, and we can start this up.

Rend on
    edited October 2010
    Squeeeeee

El Skid on
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    *happy dance*

I'll shoot you my e-mail shortly. I've lost track of sign-ups momentarily; did I end up in a team with anyone?

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    edited October 2010
    susan wrote: »
    did I end up in a team with anyone?

I was wondering the same thing.

Mordenthral on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, if only you had put this up when I had free time on my hands... I would be so down.
    But I'll be keeping an eye on this thread anyway. (Or at least trying to). I look forward to watching!

This post also serves as a self-reminder to reserve up if I find the time. :)

crimsoncoyote on
    edited October 2010
    For now I am not going to assign any teams, so if you haven't talked to someone on the list of 6 to team up, then you're not (yet) on a team.

Rend on
  • PayotPayot Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any of the remaining players wish to team up with me ?

Payot on
  • Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll team up with Payot

Alkey42 on
    edited October 2010
    So here is where I think we stand:

Lykouragh/free
    Skid/himself (what a selfish goose!)
    Darian/FWD
    Gene/SeGaTai
    Susan/free
    Alkey/Payot

People who would like to partner:

Mordenthral

Does that sound right?

El Skid on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone who wants to team up, feel free to PM me or whatever.

Man, I hope I get to be the space squids. Space squids are the best. Besides Yssaril, anyway, the filthy little gollums.

Lykouragh on
    edited October 2010
    You hurt my feelings, El Skid. You're target número uno!

If susan and Lykouragh feel they don't need a team mate then I'll just watch. I'd only be offering advice. :-)

Mordenthral on