As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Predictions

WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in PAX Archive
Since East has already happened for the first time, we can slightly predict what's going on this year, right? WRONG!!!! You can never predict a PAX until 2wks-1mth to the big date. In addition, we also have a variable of a brand new location that's NOT the Hynes. We can always try to guess, but will we be correct?

My Prediction: The main theater will be offsite again like PAX Prime. [BUSTED]

My Prediction2: Tickets will sell out 1.5 months before PAX.

My Prediction3: Freezepop will play this year.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wingedillidan on

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They'd be dumb as hell to put it offsite in early March in Boston. The two week difference makes a big difference in terms of weather between last year and this year.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    The main theater won't be offsite. The BCEC has more space than the WSCTC and is modular. Meaning they can size the rooms however they want.

I was hoping people would use this thread to predict what games might likely be at PAX East based on release dates and the like.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2010
    How many more developers do you think we'll have this year?

VisionOfClarity on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I predict there will be lots of alcohol.

It's not a tumor on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I predict that you'll see more developers bringing mobile games (iOS, Android) and XBL style download games to show. Both Castle Crashers and Monday Night Combat have done very well for themselves based on a digital distribution model and had great booth response at PAX East last year.

I hope that big shots like NVIDIA will keep paying attention to PAX and using it for launch events, because it's pretty cool when the big launch of a product is direct to the customers, not an even for channel partners.

macrogeek on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd definitely be looking for loads of mobile platform games, an increased representation from tabletop developers (as with Prime and the hordes of roving game reps), and the release of Mass Effect 3 free to all attendees along with unlimited DLC and custom hardware.

MelesMeles on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It would be nice to see some more developers there. It would nice if Blizzard brought a playable demo of Diablo 3 along :D

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I predict that the exhibition hall will rival the size of Prime given the obvious success of last year's PaxE and the much larger venue.
    I predict that the turnstile count will be larger than Prime 2010.
    I predict a large 3DS presence by Nintendo.
    I predict VGO will be back (at least I really hope so) and will bring down the house *again*.

On to more iffy predictions:
    I predict Apple will have an actual presence there (even if subdued).
    I predict Intel will have a product launch.
    I predict there will be an RTS in the Omegathon

zerzhul on
    edited October 2010
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I predict that the exhibition hall will rival the size of Prime given the obvious success of last year's PaxE and the much larger venue.
    I predict that the turnstile count will be larger than Prime 2010.

QFT

Would be interesting to see. But what would they be promoting?

MelesMeles on
    edited October 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »

Would be interesting to see. But what would they be promoting?

iOS as a mobile gaming platform, maybe bring a few key game developers with them. They made a point to talk about and focus on games in some of their own event keynotes this year. I see PAX as a good place to have a small "test" presence for the community. Still just a guess though.

zerzhul on
    edited October 2010
    That would be interesting.

VisionOfClarity on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I predict Twisted Pixel will have 1 of their 2 secret projects on display for PAX East 2011 if not both.

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    The revised release schedule for Duke Nukem Forever, now coming out in 2013?

MelesMeles on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I predict breach will be there again, and hopefully not get it's code stolen, though it did make for good conversation.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    I predict Twisted Pixel will have 1 of their 2 secret projects on display for PAX East 2011 if not both.

Absolutely. And I will bow down and worship at their table once more.

I predict the following games *would* be annouced, except they'll hold it until E3:
    -GTA5
    -Mass Effect 3

Games we'll likely see:
    -Dragon Age 2 (released same week as PaxE)
    -Crysis 2, with 3D support.
    -Gears of War 3
    -Rage
    -Shogun 2: Total War
    -A truckload of Kinect (fingers crossed for that Steel Battallion game)
    -SW: The Old Republic

Edit: also... MORTAL KOMBAAAAAT!

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
  • JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd love to see it, but I doubt it will happen... that being said, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a good selection of iOS game developers there.
    -A truckload of Kinect (fingers crossed for that Steel Battallion game)
    Setting fingers to crossed that Steel Battalions is there...

Anyone think that PSP2 will make an appearance?

I predict that an updated Diablo 3 demo will make an appearance

JobiwanKenobi on

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    id be very disappointed if Nintendo didnt bring a playable demo of Skyward Sword with them.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I predict that the sheer size of the event will allow for PAX virgins and vets alike to be absolutely blown away.

feitocomfruta on
  • AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lots of multiplayer Minecraft in the PC area.

Lots of Rock Band 3 with real instruments.

3DS Will have a huge presence, as well as Pokemon Black/White.

Apreche on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

That would be awesome! They could get a faster-paced RTS if they didn't want to wait too long for the round (perhaps even dig back into old school RTS's and pick up some copies of Myth 1: the game was always evenly balanced, and the matches were basically built to never last more than ~10-15 minutes). I'd be psyched to see that!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited October 2010

That would be awesome! They could get a faster-paced RTS if they didn't want to wait too long for the round (perhaps even dig back into old school RTS's and pick up some copies of Myth 1: the game was always evenly balanced, and the matches were basically built to never last more than ~10-15 minutes). I'd be psyched to see that!

On this topic, I can almost guarantee there will not be an RTS in the Omegathon. Not because I have special knowledge. I don't have any special knowledge at all. I'm just basing this entirely on recent Omegathon game selections.

For the past few years, they have removed nearly all games of skill. The only skill games left are the rhythm games and Mario Kart, and maybe Geometry Wars. Those aren't particularly hard games, since it's not like they make you play on the highest difficulty level. Every game they have selected recently is a game of chance, or a game that is incredibly accessible. They are also incredibly popular or incredibly simple games that any possible Omeganaut will probably know how to play. They have not chosen any games where a ton of practice or skill will allow an Omeganaut to completely dominate.

Unless they have a huge change of heart, I do not think you will see any FPS or RTS in the Omegathon anytime soon. You also probably will not see any really difficult, obscure, or inaccessable games at all. Even when they had Contra as part of the NES Relay at PAX East, they gave you the Konami code and you only had to beat the first boss.

I will be extremely extremely surprised if a truly hard game or hardcore genre appears in any Omegathon.

Apreche on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aye, I guess that makes sense given that they don't know how hardcore/unknowing their Omeganauts will be... they could end up with all of them having only played Farmville as their gaming experience for all they know. Given that fact, I can understand why they wouldn't put in an RTS... but a man can dream, can't he? =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited November 2010
    Aye, I guess that makes sense given that they don't know how hardcore/unknowing their Omeganauts will be... they could end up with all of them having only played Farmville as their gaming experience for all they know. Given that fact, I can understand why they wouldn't put in an RTS... but a man can dream, can't he? =)

Dream to your heart's content my friend!

Also, perhaps we can arrange some unofficial Omegathon hard mode? Whether we do or do not, what would the games be? I'm thinking Super Street Fighter 4, Starcraft, Quake Live, Gran Turismo, and final round is Battle Balls.

http://nfggames.com/games/senkyu/[/ulr]

Apreche on
    edited November 2010

I'm dreamin right with ya
    Apreche wrote: »
    Dream to your heart's content my friend!

Also, perhaps we can arrange some unofficial Omegathon hard mode? Whether we do or do not, what would the games be? I'm thinking Super Street Fighter 4, Starcraft, Quake Live, Gran Turismo, and final round is Battle Balls.

http://nfggames.com/games/senkyu/

Yeah, I am definitely aware of the reasonings, but there have been some surprises so I think that pulling out an old school RTS for the final round could be pretty awesome and being the final round it wouldn't allow for any special practice. That's why I put it in my more iffy predictions.

I think a hardmode Omegathon would be pretty sweet as well. Perhaps some of the console tourney organizers could put together a multi-game tourney instead of a straight single game tourney.

My lineup would be (starting with 64 people):
    Starcraft 2 (1v1)
    Blast Corps Mars time trial (top 16 times advance)
    Street Fighter 4 cabinets (best of 5)
    Battle Balls (head to head)
    Final Round, 4 player deathmatch of the original Goldeneye

zerzhul on
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll agree with the showing of mobile games for our phones. "The latest data relase by The Nielsen Company shows that 61% of smartphone users are reported to have downloaded a game application, making them the most downloaded type of application among mobile phone users" Crazy Birds seems to be the "it" game to be playing on your Iphone right now.
    I'm also hoping for a Blizzard showing. We ran into a guy last year on Sunday who whipped out Blizzcon in-game pet & mount cards due to us wearing wow shirts. I'd love to see what they have to show for Diablo3.
    The concerts will rock!
    There will be new friends to be made.
    Nintendo will be showing off their 3DS. I believe the 3DS comes out the week after PAX. Now what games will they feature? Mario Kart? I'd love to see Animal Crossing.
    Zynga. They seem to have their hands in most of the popular Facebook games.
    Gears of War 3. They will be close to their release date when PAX rolls around.

Lady Lilybell on
    5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Portal 2, which I believe comes out in late February.
    Tons of Kinects to play with. *Cheer!*
    DC Online
    Newgrounds had a good showing so maybe Kongregate will have something.

Lady Lilybell on
    5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would love it if Capcom showed up, because then maybe we could ask if there will ever be a US release date for the Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright game.

As for other games, I really don't know.

feitocomfruta on