As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Mouse?

• AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there any place to get the Roccat Kone Plus in the US?

That is a seriously sexy piece of hardware.

Aiserou on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It is indeed. I got mine from Amazon, so there's surely no reason why Amazon US doesn't stock it?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited October 2010
    Apparently, Roccat doesn't do business with us. :(

Aiserou on
    edited October 2010
    I looked at my order, and yeah, it was some other seller through Amazon. Sorry about that. I don't really know of many American online stores, but surely someone has it somewhere...

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

edited October 2010
    Ah ha! Silly goose isn't cheap, though.

Aiserou on
    edited October 2010
    Yikes... is there nowhere cheaper?

These guys carry the original Kone for $89.99, if that's any good.

Rohan on

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i don't really have any good experiences with razer

they made my habu which was great until it died :|

got a free sidewinder as a replacement which has been pretty solid so far

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    *snip*

They're not really fancy at all

My wonderful g500 is the best, though.

See, I love Logitech. Seriously. And the G500 is a remarkably good-looking, functional mouse...but...I just find the fucker to be incredibly uncomfortable to use. It feels too narrow, like I don't have a place to rest my pinky finger, so it just ends up either dragging on the desk, or I subconsciously end up holding it against my ring finger. Either method results in nagging pain after not very long. Honestly, after owning this thing for four months, I find myself wishing I could find/justify dropping another $100 dollars on another MX Revolution. That thing was far and away the best mouse I've ever used. Unfortunately, after owning the thing for almost 5 years, I began having the exact same problem as the OP. Unintentional double-clicking for the motherfucking lose. Sad, really. For as long as that mouse has been around, I just can't see myself parting with another c-note to replace it.

Edit: And before the "Hurr Performance MX" starts, mind you that I am old and feeble, nigh-incapable of handling any sort of change, no matter how small. FFS, I dealt with the double-clicking for almost a year before deciding to replace my original Rev.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got my G700 the other day. I like the recharge and data cord so I can be wired or wireless whenever I want. And SO MANY BUTTONS.

Smooth scroll is taking some getting used to though.

SniperGuy on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Triple B wrote: »
    *snip*

See, I love Logitech. Seriously. And the G500 is a remarkably good-looking, functional mouse...but...I just find the fucker to be incredibly uncomfortable to use. It feels too narrow, like I don't have a place to rest my pinky finger, so it just ends up either dragging on the desk, or I subconsciously end up holding it against my ring finger. Either method results in nagging pain after not very long. Honestly, after owning this thing for four months, I find myself wishing I could find/justify dropping another $100 dollars on another MX Revolution. That thing was far and away the best mouse I've ever used. Unfortunately, after owning the thing for almost 5 years, I began having the exact same problem as the OP. Unintentional double-clicking for the motherfucking lose. Sad, really. For as long as that mouse has been around, I just can't see myself parting with another c-note to replace it.

Edit: And before the "Hurr Performance MX" starts, mind you that I am old and feeble, nigh-incapable of handling any sort of change, no matter how small. FFS, I dealt with the double-clicking for almost a year before deciding to replace my original Rev.

I'm running an MX Revolution that's been doing that for damn near 2 years at this point.

That roccat kone+ looks pretty awesome. Does amazon.co.uk not still ship things to the us for reasonable prices?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    *snip*

I'm running an MX Revolution that's been doing that for damn near 2 years at this point.

It really got to be a pain in the ass when browsing the interwebs, and could be potentially deadly when running group instances. :(

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just replaced my aging (but awesome) G7 with a G500. The middle wheel was starting to cause me trouble, and the batteries were starting to run a little flat. I still maintain that it's the best wireless mouse made to date though. No akward cradle, came with two swappable batteries so you could actually charge the thing without having to set it down and stare at it while wishing your mouse wasn't flat. If they hadn't stopped making them, I probably would have bought another. Instead I chose to go back to a wired mouse for the first time since the original MX700 was released, and I'm liking it so far - I'll get used to the cable eventually.

One thing I'd like to know though is if the other logitech users bother with the setpoint drivers these days? I remember the only thing they seemed to be useful for was setting the DPI configurations, which doesn't really bother me much and I'm not fond of extra stuff running in the background.

Oh and what's the red button on the side of the mouse supposed to do?

altid on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    altid wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to know though is if the other logitech users bother with the setpoint drivers these days? I remember the only thing they seemed to be useful for was setting the DPI configurations, which doesn't really bother me much and I'm not fond of extra stuff running in the background.
    I use it, but that is because I when I play TF2 I have several of the keys bound to something different (the left/right scroll and the third side button in particular).
    Oh and what's the red button on the side of the mouse supposed to do?
    It is an extra generic button that does whatever you have it configured to do. The mouse itself registers a keyboard with your computer so you can save a particular keystroke to the mouse's memory and it will work anywhere without needing SetPoint, or if the application you're using will detect that mouse button (TF2 didn't, but that might be a special case) you could bind it to some function within it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I got my G700 the other day. I like the recharge and data cord so I can be wired or wireless whenever I want. And SO MANY BUTTONS.

Smooth scroll is taking some getting used to though.

So apparently I have a button that flips between smooth scroll and regular scrolling.

My B review has become an A review. G700 is tremendous.

SniperGuy on
  • bearsohmybearsohmy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've used the Razer Deathadder, Logitech MX518, and the Steel Series Xai. The Razer tends to break after six or seven months, while the Logitech is just really beefy in your hand. The $70+ price tag of the Xai is worth every penny. Once you get used to the shape you honestly won't want to get another mouse :3

bearsohmy on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My deathadder went missing after working well for over a year. My salmosa, though, broke after about six months (the difference might be that I used the salmosa as my portable mouse and moved it around often.) While I do like razer mice best, I have to admit that they don't last forever.

Ego on
    Erik
  • MoudisMoudis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Another MX518 fan here. Only got it to replace my Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 after it's wheel started acting up, although I still use it on another machine. I've never been all that impressed with Microsoft peripherals, but that mouse has lasted me years, with minimal worry.

Moudis on
    steam_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have a Razer Mamba, and short of it falling apart, I am never replacing this thing. The feel in your hand is just awesome. I can't stand most of Logitechs new mouse, as they were designed for midget people with short fingers.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited November 2010
    I tried to replace my deathadder with a mamba, seeing as how they are basically the same shell. The battery life on that thing made it almost unusable. I took it back after two days and just kept using my deathadder (which wasn't nearly as close to death as I had thought).

Aiserou on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have a razer Lachesis and in short, it rules. I don't miss my crappy Microsoft generic three button at all. Cool design, unique packaging, custom profiles, 7 buttons, 2 extra buttons for easy sensitivity adjustment, smooth on my custom ink mouse pad... I love it.

KoopahTroopah on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The names alone are reason enough for me to not want to use Razers. I let my brother borrow my 518 the other day because he was using an Apple Magic Mouse. I told him to man the fuck up and use some proper hardware, and he loves it.

What're the razer mice priced like, anyway? Are they ridiculous because of the "PROFESSIONAL-GRADE GAMING MICE" or are they actually reasonably priced for what you're getting?

Senshi on
    edited November 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    The names alone are reason enough for me to not want to use Razers. I let my brother borrow my 518 the other day because he was using an Apple Magic Mouse. I told him to man the fuck up and use some proper hardware, and he loves it.

What're the razer mice priced like, anyway? Are they ridiculous because of the "PROFESSIONAL-GRADE GAMING MICE" or are they actually reasonably priced for what you're getting?

The branding for razer mice really put me off from buying for a long time, too. What convinced me was actually a big review of a guy doing real testing for what sort of tracking-at-speed ability difference mice had, and the deathadder (at the time) coming off on top by a hugely impressive margin. If anyone can think of the review I'm speaking of (he had a spin-wheel and did pretty much all the good mice out at the time) please link it, my google-fu is coming up short.

But the branding is just embarrassing, yeah. Probably even counter-productive, given what sort of people actually care about their gaming hardware and their level of informedness in general.

They're priced pretty well. Around here a deathadder runs $50-$60. They're my favourite out of all the razer mice by far, because they're the same shape (more or less) as my favourite intellimouse and they're just... well, perfect, for accuracy, and not wireless. I just can't stand wireless mice. The deathadder isn't a mouse for people who need a lot of buttons, though.

http://www.newegg.com/store/Brand.aspx?Brand=2202&Tpk=razer

Ahh, newegg has an actual section for them, that link shows you a bunch of prices for some different stuff. Though I'll point out: I really didn't like my lycosa keyboard. I should have read reviews before buying it, since the things are apparently often flaky and --a real sin from a gaming company- has issues with simultaneous keystrokes depending on what you're hitting where on the keyboard. My g110 is superior in every way but size, and who cares about how big your keyboard is?

Ego on
    Erik
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Used to have one of the original razor boomslang mice. Back with 2000dpi was a "big fucking deal". I miss that mouse so much.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited November 2010
    Aiserou wrote: »
    I tried to replace my deathadder with a mamba, seeing as how they are basically the same shell. The battery life on that thing made it almost unusable. I took it back after two days and just kept using my deathadder (which wasn't nearly as close to death as I had thought).

The battery life of the Mamba is completely dependant on how you have it setup. If you have it setup for 1000mhz polling in wireless mode, the battery life is ~6-8 hours of constant usage. If you lower it to 500mhz polling, it will last ~12-16 hours of constant usage. You probably wouldn't want to game with it much lower than that.

The nice thing about the Mamba is that if it is running out of juice after a long Saturday of play, you can just unplug the cord from the base and plug it directly in to the mouse. Viola, instant charge and play.
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Used to have one of the original razor boomslang mice. Back with 2000dpi was a "big fucking deal". I miss that mouse so much.

I too miss my original Boomslang. Was an awesome mouse.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nowadays the G500 has the best sensor by a really huge margin, it's not even funny.

And it's worth every penny.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2010
    Nowadays the G500 has the best sensor by a really huge margin, it's not even funny.

Best sensor in specs, or best sensor in actual tracking tests? Even at the time the deathadder was ruled king of tracking, other mice (even by razer) already had higher DPI.

Ego on
    Erik
    edited November 2010
    Not to mention, we are so far beyond the point where tracking speed matters anymore. Any good, modern, laser mouse will track far faster than you ever need it to. Even if a mouse, like the G500, has this super awesome sensor on paper, the average human wouldn't know the difference between it and another high end laser mouse.

Mice these days should really be picked for feel in your hand more than anything else, which is a good place to be.

GnomeTank on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    You are all off base. What the OP needs is one of THESE

Oh my god

WANT!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited November 2010
    Ego wrote: »

Best sensor in specs, or best sensor in actual tracking tests? Even at the time the deathadder was ruled king of tracking, other mice (even by razer) already had higher DPI.
    Best sensor in actual tracking tests. On the same mouse pad that I use:

GPadAll.gif

G9x/G500 share the same sensor.

Barrakketh on
    edited November 2010
    The x axis on that chart doesn't even make any sense. Why would you measure mouse tracking as meters per second? Who in the hell can move their hand at 5+ meters per second? And what are counts? Is that the number of times the mouse polls the surface for movement data?

If that's the case, I read that chart as saying: Unless you can move your hand 5+ meters a second, you will never notice a loss of tracking from any of the high end mice listed.

GnomeTank on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it's probably on the really high end of possible twitch movement.
    and the chart still has a very clear result: the sensor of the g9x is superior to every other in that chart

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited November 2010

Not by a really huge margin, a huge margin, or even a big margin. The Roccat Kone + is right behind it (only difference I can see is that the Roccat has an image processing rate of 10.5 megapixels, while the Logitech has 12 - while the Roccat has 6000 dpi, the Logitech has 5700. Not that anyone would play at such high numbers...).

Rohan on

• CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tracking speed isn't the only thing that makes a good sensor. Low liftoff distance and minimal acceleration are pretty important, too. That said, I Got a G9x last week and it's pretty ace.

Critter on
    edited November 2010
    I can't see the charts at work. so I believe you. But the g500 has my beloved Mx500 shape, it has an amazingly confortable texture, the buttons are great, the dual-type wheel is wonderful, the overall feel is uncanny...

And Logitech mice are built like tanks. I still have my Mx500 even after 6 years of intense daily use. I mean 16hs+ 6 days a week.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    thought I might as well tack this on here.

I'm using one of those basic microsoft two buton wheel optical mice, the ones you can get for $2 behind the bus shelter from homeless men.

Whats a reasonably priced mouse that will give me a bit more precision...mainly to help with my SC2 play. I'm not fussed about thumb buttons and that jazz, though if they're there I won't complain, but I would like it to be wireless and also to have internally rechargeable batteries rather than having to keep buying AAs.

Dhalphir on
    edited November 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    thought I might as well tack this on here.

I'm using one of those basic microsoft two buton wheel optical mice, the ones you can get for $2 behind the bus shelter from homeless men.

Whats a reasonably priced mouse that will give me a bit more precision...mainly to help with my SC2 play. I'm not fussed about thumb buttons and that jazz, though if they're there I won't complain, but I would like it to be wireless and also to have internally rechargeable batteries rather than having to keep buying AAs.

I have a Wireles Mobile Mouse for my netbook, it's pretty good. No internal battery, but regular rechargeable AA's last for months.

There are a few similar Logitechs (VX something) that are supposed to be wonderful.

those 2 recommendations are portable though. Smaller, fatter, rounder mice. There are probably bigger non portable wireless mice, I guess.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm in a similar position to Dhalphir.

Thinking about a new mouse, because I'm fucking sick and tired of my current wireless mouses tendency to be a reprehensible piece of shit. Not registering clicks, and erratic tracking are starting to piss me off.

It's a Microsoft Standard Wireless Optical Mouse model 1025 (taken straight off the sticker on the base).

I want:

Ambidextrous. (I am right-handed, the missus is a southpaw)

Wired. (or convertible)

2 buttons. (left click, and surprise surprise, right click...)

A scroll wheel that works perfectly.

Side scrolling. (whether that's from the main scroll wheel clicking side to side or a secondary side mounted thumb scroll wheel I do not care)

Size. I have big hands, currently my ring finger and pinky finger are held against the side of the mouse and drag on the table. Mouse must be BIG. And preferably with a little shelf for my pinky to rest on. I like to palm the mouse, no fingertip claw grip for me.

Weight. Must be nice and heavy. I don't like super light, flimsy, anything.

Textured surface. My apartment has no air-con, in summer it gets to well over 110 degrees fahrenheit here, therefore my hands will at times be sweaty. Don't want a slippery mouse.

I do not FPS at all. I will be Fallout 3 and New Vegas-ing in the future, at the moment I mainly internet and Minecraft. So 27,000 DPI means shit to me.

The mouse I currently have is part of a keyboard/mouse wireless duo, the keyboard is much nicer, but still annoying, because it does drop the occasional letter. So recommend me a nice wired keyboard too please - no 'leet gamer' crap, I just wanna do some typing - nice key feel, good size, and long life is all I care about. I don't need multi-coloured flashing lights or a damn screen on my keyboard...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For mice, I'm honestly not sure what I want to recommend to you. The ambidextrous bit trips me up.

For keyboards, however, the Apple Keyboard is pretty great. Looks good, feels good, no bells and whistles, comes in full-size (with numpad) and smaller. It's wired, and it's got two USB ports so it'll double as a semi-hub, good for USB memory sticks and stuff. Goes for $49.

Potential shortcomings include having to install drivers to use the function keys (the Play/Pause buttons, volume, etc.) when using Windows, and apparently it doesnt like when you spill shit on it. You shouldn't be spilling shit on your keyboard anyway.

I love mine, but granted, I'm running a Mac. Side tip: Do not be enticed by this keyboard and then decide to buy an Apple mouse to go with it. Stay the fuck away from Apple Mice. They are all awful.

Senshi on
    edited November 2010
    So recommend me a nice wired keyboard too please - no 'leet gamer' crap, I just wanna do some typing - nice key feel, good size, and long life is all I care about. I don't need multi-coloured flashing lights or a damn screen on my keyboard...
    This, but it is on the expensive side.

Nice key feel, but it is loud. If you're typed on a Model M before you know what to expect.

Barrakketh on
    edited November 2010
    I'd say razer lachesis except it's got no side-scrolling.

Ego on
    Erik