As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why isn't Sharron Angle in jail? [DOMESTIC TERRORISM]

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm serious about this, although a lot of people think I'm full of it (I have no democratic friends it seems, or ones that even give 2 craps about politics).

Sharron Angle not-so-subtly threatened the use of weapons and violence if her constituents and campaign did not get what they wanted. There are many ways to interpret the 2nd Amendment, but there's only one real definition of it: Right to bear arms.

A lot of people see her using the "2nd Amendment Solution" is simply a radical, extremist talking point designed to attract attention.

I take it as domestic terrorism, using the threat of violence by somebody in power (she is in a power position, and has followers) to influence government operations.

People say that we shouldn't take her too seriously, but the fact is that her message of a "2nd Amendment Solution" is spreading strikes some fear into my heart. There are newspaper articles questioning whether or not this "Solution" is a bad thing. We've got other politicians saying things about armed insurrection and revolution.

If these people were Muslim, they'd be stuck on target reports for the military.

Am I taking this too far? Because people who use intimidation tactics like showing up for their own (or other peoples rallies) fully armed are using bully, terror and intimidation tactics. People who threaten the lives of others due to political discourse are fostering the aspect of terrorisms most fundamental tenet, whether it's something they intend to finish or not.

I've been reading up on this for a while now and I simply can't believe how bad the Militia Reaction to what is pretty much the same policies and practices we had 2 years ago, with some minor changes here and there and a Health Care bill.

THE QUESTION: WHAT CONSTITUTES REAL DOMESTIC TERRORISM, AND WHEN ARE THEY JUST BEING AN ASSBASKET?

jungleroomx on

• Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They are just taking the Thomas Jefferson view.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

I am not saying they are right or anything, or that they aren't terrorists. But if the terrorists win, then its a revolution, if they don't they are thugs. It's just a matter of perspective really.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It seems more like they're having one huge populist temper tantrum because they no longer have the majority voice, and using any justifiable excuse to back up their bully tactics and threats.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    well then that would hardly be terrorism now would it

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    inciting violence is a crime

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You use the word crime here to imply that inciting violence is always wrong, which simply isn't the case.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    CasedOut wrote: »
    well then that would hardly be terrorism now would it

The threat of violence when a situation does not go someones way can be construed as terrorist, especially when it's directed towards gov't officials.

Numerous threats have been made on democratic officials, some vague and probably just metaphorical, but Angle's was hard to misconstrue: If Reid gets elected, we can kill his ass.

Tea Partiers like to think of it as armed revolution... but it's difficult to revolt against a government you're controlling. What they're talking about isn't revolution, it's an armed coup.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

I am not saying they are right or anything, or that they aren't terrorists. But if the terrorists win, then its a revolution, if they don't they are thugs. It's just a matter of perspective really.

Only if you take a moral relativist view.

Leitner on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No, I think the first amendment protects her right to say stupid things.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

Only if you take a moral relativist view.

How so?

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You use the word crime here to imply that inciting violence is always wrong, which simply isn't the case.

ummm what?

are you implying that this is one of those cases?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

ummm what?

I am not ruling out the possibility is all.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    CygnusZ wrote: »

This is correct.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

ummm what?

So you're saying that the assasination of a legally elected official is fine and dandy, and that a pre-emptive call-to-arms against someone who was freely elected, in accordance with all the laws, leaves open the possibility that this may be a good thing?

Jesus can we check the moral relativism at the door?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

This is correct.

no

itis not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_v._Ohio

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

ummm what?

So you're saying that the assasination of a legally elected official is fine and dandy, and that a pre-emptive call-to-arms against someone who was freely elected, in accordance with all the laws, leaves open the possibility that this may be a good thing?

Jesus can we check the moral relativism at the door?

Are you serious? You are the one being a moral relativist here by using words such as "legally elected." Legally elected does not mean the things said official does are right or just. I hate to use this example because its done to death but, Hitler was legally elected. You also say in accordance with all the laws, as if all the laws are just or right. How is that not being a moral relativist? What if the law said I could kill anyone who stole my cheetos? Does that make me killing anyone who steals my cheetos a moral act?

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If these people were Muslim, they'd be stuck on target reports for the military.

Are you implying this is a good thing?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    note i'm not saying what Angle said rises to the level of illegality or not

fact remains someone using a soapbox to incite others to violence is not protected by the first amendment

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Are you implying this is a good thing?

I'm stating a discrepancy.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

fact remains someone using a soapbox to incite others to violence is not protected by the first amendment

as defined by a court ruling

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Are you serious? You are the one being a moral relativist here by using words such as "legally elected." Legally elected does not mean the things said official does are right or just. I hate to use this example because its done to death but, Hitler was legally elected. You also say in accordance with all the laws, as if all the laws are just or right. How is that not being a moral relativist? What if the law said I could kill anyone who stole my cheetos? Does that make me killing anyone who steals my cheetos a moral act?

And you bring even more relativism here. Appreciate that.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

How so? What is your definition of moral relativism?

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

interpreting the Constitution is the fucking courts job

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

doesn't mean they do it well

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    you can't be serious

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You know, this is an attempt to discuss Sharron Angle's actions within the bounds of US Law, not to argue semantics over which law is just and which is right, and maybe the laws aren't right!

Maybe they aren't, maybe they are. But this isn't the venue for that. If you want a relativistic dissection of US policies, you can make your own thread. I'm trying to discuss the situation with laws on domestic terrorim and freedom of speech as parameters, not variables.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

This is correct.

no

itis not

I lean heavily towards First Amendment Rights and you have to prove within a shadow of a doubt that she's inciting violence. I think she's a nutjob whose rhetoric can be used to justify violence. I've talked a lot when we've had similar threads about how close to the line I think a lot of Republicans come. Especially Beck and the anti-abortion movement. I think you can make a case that Beck could be tried in the Tides Foundation murders. And a lawsuit against him might have a decent shot at winning.

But I am incredibly cautious in this area for what I think are obvious reasons.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I think he's using the word "crime" to imply that it's against the law.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

This is correct.

no

itis not

I lean heavily towards First Amendment Rights and you have to prove within a shadow of a doubt that she's inciting violence. I think she's a nutjob whose rhetoric can be used to justify violence. I've talked a lot when we've had similar threads about how close to the line I think a lot of Republicans come. Especially Beck and the anti-abortion movement. I think you can make a case that Beck could be tried in the Tides Foundation murders. And a lawsuit against him might have a decent shot at winning.

that case weighs heavily on the side of free speech really

you can say whatever you want for the most part as imminent threat of violence is a standard thats damn near impossible to prove.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You know, this is an attempt to discuss Sharron Angle's actions within the bounds of US Law, not to argue semantics over which law is just and which is right, and maybe the laws aren't right!

Maybe they aren't, maybe they are. But this isn't the venue for that. If you want a relativistic dissection of US policies, you can make your own thread. I'm trying to discuss the situation with laws on domestic terrorim and freedom of speech as parameters, not variables.

Look dude, I didnt mean to upset or offend. I just like to question everything that is all. I think things should be more questioned than they are. But if you don't want to do that in this thread thats cool.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

doesn't mean they do it well

No, it does not

What's that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    no you're using the "asking questions" method to imply violence is ok

then you godwined the thread

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

This is correct.

no

itis not

that case weighs heavily on the side of free speech really

you can say whatever you want for the most part as imminent threat of violence is a standard thats damn near impossible to prove.

Right, which is why you'll note the original statement in this line of conversation that I agreed with was the First Amendment protects her right to say stupid things. I'm not as sure it protects Glenn Beck's right to say really stupid, inflammatory things. Or various other Republicans. The politician who comes closest is probably Rep. Louis Gohmert of Texas who says some truly batshit things on the floor of the House.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Time out. Let's look at the quote in context.
    "Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusetts? And can history produce an instance of a rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it's motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. And what country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

This is a reference to Shay's Rebellion in Massachusetts. He's basically saying that most of the time when this blood of patriots gets spilled it's because they don't have all their facts in order. The important part, Jefferson believed, is to (first and foremost) educate those in rebellion, then forgive and put down said rebellion. So many people use this quote as a call to arms (and so many of these movements are "founded in ignorance"), when it's really a prescription for the government on how to handle those in violent or near-violent revolt.

[/history lesson]

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ITT: People who are fine with moral relativism when talking about brown people in 3rd world countries balk the moment it hits their doorstep.

Unsurprising.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Speech which incurs a threat of imminent violence is not protected under the 1st Amendment. What Angle said doesn't even come close.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This is correct.

Minus shit like how you can't yell "bomb!" in a theater at random.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Freedom of speech is a matter of voicing your opinion without being punished for it, because speaking against your leaders long ago was a big no-no.

Freedom of speech doesn't protect me from walking into a bank and demanding that they hand over a bunch of money in a sack. It doesn't protect me from threatening to kill someone for looking at my daughter. And it certainly doesn't protect me from threatening to use my 2nd amendment rights if I don't get what I want from the government. The above applies to everyone.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Freedom of speech is a matter of voicing your opinion without being punished for it, because speaking against your leaders long ago was a big no-no.

Freedom of speech doesn't protect me from walking into a bank and demanding that they hand over a bunch of money in a sack. It doesn't protect me from threatening to kill someone for looking at my daughter. And it certainly doesn't protect me from threatening to use my 2nd amendment rights if I don't get what I want from the government. The above applies to everyone.

I absolutely guarantee the courts would not agree. Because your 2nd amendment rights, literally, means you get to own a gun.

What she meant is obvious, and abhorrent, but you can make the case if you're a half decent lawyer (and she'd get the GOP's best).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

I absolutely guarantee the courts would not agree. Because your 2nd amendment rights, literally, means you get to own a gun.

What she meant is obvious, and abhorrent, but you can make the case if you're a half decent lawyer (and she'd get the GOP's best).

As in, "What I meant is we're going to OWN guns, not use them on anyone!"

That would be pretty slimy. I hope she dies in a fire.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I do have to say that it is depressing that the absolute, complete bullshit level that politics have come to in this country where you have a candidate suggesting armed revolution might be needed WHILE SHE IS RUNNING FOR ELECTED OFFICE. Seriously, usually people have the self consciousness to not do that. Even corrupt, nasty fuckers who run for office in completely broken elections in messed up countries who are planning a coup don't do this. The cognitive dissonance here is goddamn astounding.

Phant on