As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Don't Know JACK -- Get it for consoles, not PC. OP has more details.

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
You may be able to express your own dog's anal glands, but when it comes to trivia...

you-dont-know-jack.png
YOU DON'T KNOW JACK, the original quiz show party game, is back and more insane than ever! You're the contestant in a truly interactive game show experience, complete with cash, prizes, backstage characters, pounding music, bizarre sound effects and your snarky host, Cookie Masterson. Play at home or online - alone or with friends -as you battle through a trivia mind-field on your way to victory, defeat or, more likely, utter humiliation.

You might ask, "Wait, aren't there already other trivia games out there?" Well, sure, but...they kinda suck. Others have been desperately trying to recreate what YOU DON'T KNOW JACK pioneered - hilariously twisted trivia presented in a fast-paced, in-your-face game show - with varying degrees of failure.

That's why we've decided to re-imagine a new-and-improved YOU DON'T KNOW JACK for the 21st century. All of your favorite elements are still there: the twisted multiple-choice questions, musical question intros, the DisOrDat™, Screw Your Neighbor™ and the Jack Attack™. But we weren't content to just repackage the old experience. There are of course all-new questions, all kinds of new face-melting features and surprises, and all-new game modes - including online play!

History

Way back in 1995, YOU DON'T KNOW JACK became an instant best-seller and defined the trivia game market for adults with its groundbreaking interactivity and inspired fusion of high culture and pop culture. With 15 years of brand recognition, 50 industry awards, and over 5 million games sold, YOU DON'T KNOW JACK is finally re-establishing itself as the gold standard for interactive trivia games. While this game is all about trivia, there's really nothing trivial about the new YOU DON'T KNOW JACK.

[strike]Coming to Wii, PS3, 360, DS, and PC January 25th![/strike]

[strike]New release date is February 8th.[/strike]

It's out!

They even brought back Cookie!

Website! Go there and play the demo they have up. It'll give you a good taste of what the full game will be like if you've never played YDKJ before, and if you have, well, it's still fun!
VERSION DETAILS

The superior versions of this game are probably the PS3 and 360.

Big button controllers have support here, but not on PC. Additionally, the layout changes when the game autodetects you are using your nerdy trivia controller in order to make things easier for you. A nice touch, to be sure.

Nobody has said anything about how the Wii version is, and I imagine it's probably the exact same number of episodes and everything as PS3/360, but with shittier graphics, so if that doesn't bother you and you're comfortable with probably using the D-pad to answer questions then go nuts.

The PC version is gimped.

Only two people can play the PC version of this, and only locally. No controller support, either. This was a case of bait and switch; the people who published the PC version are a different team than the console versions and unfortunately we didn't have a hint about the shitty quality of the PC build until release day. So PC players, unfortunately, got screwed (yes, I meant to do that).

The DS version has fewer episodes due to cart restrictions.

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sweet PSP burn there, bro.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sweet PSP burn there, bro.

Haha, that was unintentional. I did a quick scan and saw PS3 and my brain read "PS3 and PSP".

Fixed.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    JB LarsJB Lars Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    All my dix, et cetera.

JB Lars on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The old ones are still fun to play but it will be awesome having it on 360 for when company is over and we don't want to all hang around the computer/drag out my old PS1 version of the game. Plus the thing about YDKJ is that a lot of the trivia is pop-culture related and well, we have new pop culture since the other games. Hopefully DLC is regular and cheap.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    YESSSSS.

The only thing I hope they DON'T bring back are the celebrity questions.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm offended by this thread

I most certainly DO know Jack

He's an old college buddy

Rent on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You may know an old college buddy named Jack, but when it comes to trivia...

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    doesn't make up for 1 vs 100 :(

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    doesn't make up for 1 vs 100 :(

I DISAGREE

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I still have an old keyboard w/ the Q, B, and P stickers on the keys. :)

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    YES!

I loved this series back in the day. I think I even have a bunch of the games laying around the apartment somewhere.

I really should go hunt those down.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They really did an awful lot with an awful little. Just a clean, fun aesthetic, crazily funny voice work and writing, and addictive minimalist gameshow gameplay.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It had the best question writing of any video game like it...ever.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I never played this before

I am excited to now

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I never played this before

I am excited to now

This is the right attitude to take when one has not yet experienced something amazing.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not to get off-topic but I got VVVVVV for my Mac the other day simply because of your love for Super Meat Boy and your sig and I find it fantastic

Wish there was a Mac version of IWBTG

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh hell yes. I loved this game as a kid.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really should get the full series on the blue rays

DAMN YOU UV

DAMN YOU TO HELL

Rent on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Day one.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I do wish there was some way they could have revived this as part of Microsoft's whole live game show thing

Possibility of real prizes was nice

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm so, so very happy. I just tried to reinstall all my old discs, and it requires all that old compatability mess.

For anyone that knows, Cookie returning is the most important feature.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If only Acrophobia would come back...

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone needs to tell them to include YDKJ4 in there as an extra. Also, the radio ads were awesome so throw in a bonus CD while you're at it.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thinking about this game brings back so many awesome memories of being in grade 11 and hanging out at my best friend's house after school. We'd deliberately leave the fields blank when the game would ask for our names, just to see what wacky name the game would give us.

I am most certainly purchasing this game.

Rderdall on
    steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    I still have an old keyboard w/ the Q, B, and P stickers on the keys. :)
    This, a million times this.
    I need to bring that up and set up a random POS cpu in the corner with these games.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game was great.

They had an awesome commercial in game for breast milk or something.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Back in my past life, the UK version of YDKJ was, IMHO, way better than the American one (when I actually got my hands on it).

Bring back Jack Cake!

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    We learned really quick to not give any outward sign of dismay at a question, or the screw would be coming your way pretty much instantly.

But then one time I had an idea, and just pretended not to know the answer and my brother screwed me. Then I picked the obviously correct answer for money gain and lost him the same amount.

The head games were another layer on top of the already awesome game show idea.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The demo did not mention the PSP.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Back in the day, I had like, 4 CDs of YDKJ.

Made 14,000 on the demo. Cookie said I did respectably. :P

Should have got the "waxing gibbous" question though.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Anything other than biting insults from Cookie is adoring praise by anyone else's standards.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Motherfucking cocksucking yes.

YDKJ ranks in the Top 5 Best Party Video Games, along with such luminaries as Rock Band(s) and Mario Kart(s).

I wonder...will they do individual Buzzer things like a couple of those (inferior) quiz show games of the past couple of years?

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Buzzers aren't necessary. All controllers are wireless these days...

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Buzz sucks so much

And GameStop won't take the game in trade for some reason, even though I have the disc and all four buzzer controllers

I am stuck with a shitty quiz game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    WANT WANT WANT

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

I played this series so much back in the day.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    One time I got an easy question that was like:

In Lucky Charms cereal, which one of these marshmallows doesn't exist?

1. Green Clovers
    2. Purple Horseshoes
    3. Pink Hearts
    4. Blue Balls
    5. Yellow Moons

And after you guess correctly, Cookie says, "Absolutely right. Blue balls are what happen when you don't get lucky."

I was like 14 or 15 and rolling on the ground laughing. And almost every question is funny.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As long as they still have that razor-sharp writing from the previous games, then it's all good.

Also, Cookie was the best YDKJ host, and this is non-debatable.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have fond memories of playing this with a girlfriend in her dorm room.

Between us it was a contact sport.

But the top notch humour holds a place in my heart. I remember we loaded up another disk and they had a different MC and we both immediately said "where the fuck is Cookie??"

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmm, I do enjoy some good trivia, consider me interested.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    By the way, there's a demo game on the website to tide you over until the full game comes out.

I'll update the OP to reflect this.

joshofalltrades on