As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xavier's Institute For Higher Burning --School Thread

Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE]...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Social Entropy++
Education!

It's important and stuff. Most of us here have attended High School and many of us have or hope to attend College.

What's a good number of schools to apply to? I'm thinking six or so.

I want to do with you
What spring does with the cherry trees.
Viscount Islands on

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    a good number of colleges?

depends on what level of colleges you are applying to

i applied to like 11

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    another big factor is how sure yu are of the type of school yu want to go to

I think I applied to like five, and decided that I wouldn't be going to three of those before I even heard back

Charles Kinbote on
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I applied to about 7, got into 6 of them (UCLA didn't accept me, but fucking Berkley did? Really?)

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    apply to only one school and write them a letter saying you'll kill yourself if you don't get in and do they really want that kind of thing on their conscience

actually now that i think about it i bet this has happened/happens

redhead on
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Things I never thought I'd be doing at university;

Dragging an unconcious chinese dude dressed as the joker down a hallway while an autistic guy yells at me at 1 in the morning.

applying to lots of schools sounds like one hell of a hastle. In the UK you can only apply to 5 max.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    apply to only one school and write them a letter saying you'll kill yourself if you don't get in and do they really want that kind of thing on their conscience

actually now that i think about it i bet this has happened/happens

does this kind of coercion work in any situation really

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited November 2010
    it's how i lost my virginity

redhead on
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    lmao

Swill on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Waiting for my GI-Bill certificate so I can register full-time at Seattle Central starting this winter quarter. Will pay full tuition, $1000 a year in books, and $1500 a month housing allowance as long as I'm attending full time. Couple that with my disability pension, and yay I'll finally be out of money trouble and going to school full time.

Weaver on
    edited November 2010
    hopefully i will go to school next year

or else probably hate everything

Swill on
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Apply to 1-2 sure things, 1-2 possibilities that you like, and 1-2 longshot dream schools.

rhylith on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Swill wrote: »
    hopefully i will go to school next year

or else probably hate everything

A school in Germany?

Liiya on
    edited November 2010
    the "proper" amount of schools to apply to actually basically follows a Gaussian distribution imho

where the x-axis is one's desirability & the y-axis is the amount of schools one applies to

Charles Kinbote on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It may be a community college, but hey it's four blocks from my apartment.

Weaver on
    edited November 2010
    I literally have no idea.

I am kind of struck with the too many options brainfreeze.

My german class starts tomorrow which is awesome.

Somehow I have 2 houses to myself right now.

Trying to figure out which schools to apply to.

And not nearly enough money. I'll give you a hint, it is under 200 euro

Swill on
    edited November 2010
    I know a lot of people that have griped about how much time they wasted on doing way more applications than they needed, either because they got into their first choice or they didn't get into any

and it does suck to sink a whole lot of time into something that is ultimately irrelevant

BUT

I don't think anyone has ever regretted applying to too many schools quite as keenly as people have regretted not applying to enough

Charles Kinbote on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I applied to two.

Was accepted to one.

attended neither.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Swill wrote: »
    I literally have no idea.

I am kind of struck with the too many options brainfreeze.

My german class starts tomorrow which is awesome.

Somehow I have 2 houses to myself right now.

Trying to figure out which schools to apply to.

And not nearly enough money. I'll give you a hint, it is under 200 euro

You have less than €200? How are you going to get by? :?

edit: Come to the UK, be roomies with BB and then if I move to LDN I can hang out with you both.

Liiya on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    applied to 6, got into all 6 8-) the one time that being a minority who did way too many afterschool activities and had no social life paid off, i guess

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited November 2010
    trying to figure that out now

doing fine on food for now

and for a little while

granted it is going to be mostly spaghetti for a little bit

and rent is free

i have no idea

i've been in situations many times where i don't know where the next paycheck will come from

Swill on
    edited November 2010
    in high school i got so anxious i completely shut down for the entire time that applications were happening and applied to only like three schools

got into none of them, didn't go to college basically at all, my life was complete shit for a while and is just now slowly starting to getting better

worst mistake i ever made!

redhead on
    edited November 2010
    Hmm, well, be careful.

Liiya on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Weaver wrote: »
    Waiting for my GI-Bill certificate so I can register full-time at Seattle Central starting this winter quarter. Will pay full tuition, $1000 a year in books, and $1500 a month housing allowance as long as I'm attending full time. Couple that with my disability pension, and yay I'll finally be out of money trouble and going to school full time.

God damn the military for being so appealing in certain ways.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    have you thought about being a gigolo, swill? there must be a demand for sexy, red blooded americans in euroland, and you have to be handsomer than rob schneider, who pulled it off in that biographical movie

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited November 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    in high school i got so anxious i completely shut down for the entire time that applications were happening and applied to only like three schools

got into none of them, didn't go to college basically at all, my life was complete shit for a while and is just now slowly starting to getting better

worst mistake i ever made!

yep this pretty much

i'll be fine liiya

i would in fact like to kick it with you guys though

get some shoes that click when you walk and serious looking jackets

then be loud and rambunctious (holy shit spelled that right first try)

that is the life for me

i am not the handsomest dude but i am like the rest of the world in that i am more beautiful than rob schneider

Swill on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looking back, I suppose I regret not going to college. It hasn't really had a huge impact on me, but I suppose it's possible I would be in a better situation now if I had.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I got a good joke

A man posts on the Penny Arcade forums
    He says to the posters that he wants to be a student for life
    they ask where he has studied so far
    he says he hasn't

:lol:

Swill on
    edited November 2010
    I'm also pretty fucking glad that I didn't decide to take Reed up on their offer to attend

when I turned them down I was nervous because it is, from a solely academic standpoint, superior to the school I now attend

but I'm pretty sure that at a certain point w/ schools like Reed & Bard that are so similar, the quality of the education can fluctuate just based on who yu have in yr class with yu

& Bard has some things over Reed, in my (gay) opinion

Charles Kinbote on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    what's up thread. i lost my meds and so am currently going bugfuck crazy. glad i brought my laptop because otherwise i'd be crawling up the wall during my office hours. am going to beg out of my awesome class tonight because i can't do shit all.

otherwise school is cool, despite what the greasers by the bleachers may have told you.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited November 2010
    education is so rad

Swill on
    edited November 2010
    I know a lot of people that have griped about how much time they wasted on doing way more applications than they needed, either because they got into their first choice or they didn't get into any

and it does suck to sink a whole lot of time into something that is ultimately irrelevant

BUT

I don't think anyone has ever regretted applying to too many schools quite as keenly as people have regretted not applying to enough

WHAT UP, NOT-APPLYING-TO-SCHOOLS-BECAUSE-I-AM-TOLD-BY-MY-HIGH-SCHOOL-THAT-I-WILL-HAVE-A-GPA-WAY-LOWER-THAN-ANYONE-WOULD-ACCEPT-BUT-THEN-GETTING-A-CERTIFICATE-IN-THE-MAIL-FOR-STATE-SPONSORED-SCHOLARSHIP-THAT-REQUIRES-A-WAY-ABOVE-PAR-GPA???

HOW YA BEEN? STILL MAKING ME REGRET EVERYTHING AND FUCKING UP AT COMMUNITY COLLEGE?? OH, COOL.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited November 2010
    before everyone chimes in, no need to worry, i am not Depressed just having withdrawal symptoms. basically parts of my body are continually falling asleep and waking back up. it is as though every nerve ending was a funnybone and they are all being struck simultaneously.

it is distracting, to say the least.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited November 2010
    I had to use urban dictionary on "greasers".

Liiya on
    edited November 2010
    Perhaps one-twentieth of what I hear of people's experiences with high school counseling is in any way positive

Charles Kinbote on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    @OP: I applied to 2 schools and got into both. I didn't have a good idea of what I wanted to do. If you know what you wanna do, then you can be more specific bout where you apply and whatnot.
    Weaver wrote: »

What're you taking?

skettios on
    edited November 2010
    i hear the opposite of college counselors

Swill on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    before everyone chimes in, no need to worry, i am not Depressed just having withdrawal symptoms. basically parts of my body are continually falling asleep and waking back up. it is as though every nerve ending was a funnybone and they are all being struck simultaneously.

oh ya, withdrawal stuff sucks :( hope you find your meds soon! (or get replacements)

skettios on
    edited November 2010
    if there is anything i have learned in my brief and privileged life, it is that counselors are no better informed than you are, and probably quite a bit less

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited November 2010

oh man. Imagine the funnybone feeling, but in the place where your prostate muscles really clench up

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited November 2010
    of course I also went to the shittiest public school and bootstrapped my education, so my biases are apparent

Charles Kinbote on
This discussion has been closed.