As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xavier's Institute For Higher Burning --School Thread

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Futore wrote: »
    before everyone chimes in, no need to worry, i am not Depressed just having withdrawal symptoms. basically parts of my body are continually falling asleep and waking back up. it is as though every nerve ending was a funnybone and they are all being struck simultaneously.

it is distracting, to say the least.

oh man. Imagine the funnybone feeling, but in the place where your prostate muscles really clench up

that sounds pleasant?

Swill on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    if there is anything i have learned in my brief and privileged life, it is that counselors are no better informed than you are, and probably quite a bit less

ya.. only school counselor that was helpful was the one for my department.
    Everyone loved her cause she helped sort out stuff (degree reqs changing and whatnot) and was super duper nice

skettios on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I think I'll apply to quite a few.

Is Berkeley a good school?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited November 2010
    Think another reason I didn't apply to too many was because of application fees. Do those still exist?

skettios on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Liiya wrote: »
    I had to use urban dictionary on "greasers".

Tom Cruise was a greaser.

Also, I wish you'd consult me before inviting strange men into my house.

Bad-Beat on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    but Bad-Beat, Liiya vouched for me!

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited November 2010
    I don't care what she did to you.

Keep it on the streets.

Bad-Beat on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I had to use urban dictionary on "greasers".

Tom Cruise was a greaser.

Also, I wish you'd consult me before inviting strange men into my house.

I thought we could have a nice little party.

I'll give you an hours notice next time, if you like?

Liiya on
    edited November 2010
    Look, all I'm saying is that there is vital, damning evidence lying around my flat and I'd rather not have names being added to the ever growing list of witnesses.

A little notice and I can have it all swept under the rug, literally. Then we can party.

Bad-Beat on
    edited November 2010
    It's alright BB, your mysterious secret antics are safe with me.

Liiya on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    500x_rickrolled-paper.jpg

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2010
    ahahah that's great

skettios on
    edited November 2010

they'd better be

... I mean, good!

Bad-Beat on
    edited November 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

they'd better be

... I mean, good!

I'll take it to the grave.

Liiya on
    edited November 2010
    Bad-Beat on
  • Darth AardvarkDarth Aardvark Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I think I'll apply to quite a few.

Is Berkeley a good school?

yup

Darth Aardvark on
    edited November 2010
    I don't believe it!

Liiya on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    skettios wrote: »
    @OP: I applied to 2 schools and got into both. I didn't have a good idea of what I wanted to do. If you know what you wanna do, then you can be more specific bout where you apply and whatnot.
    Weaver wrote: »
    Waiting for my GI-Bill certificate so I can register full-time at Seattle Central starting this winter quarter. Will pay full tuition, $1000 a year in books, and $1500 a month housing allowance as long as I'm attending full time. Couple that with my disability pension, and yay I'll finally be out of money trouble and going to school full time.

What're you taking?

I'm tempted by the Marine Deck Technology and Marine Engineering Technology programs, but I'm just going to go with the Associate of Science transfer degree and apply to UW after that.

Weaver on
    edited November 2010
    bad-beat, i'm at the airport

i'll meet you out front in 20

is my bed made?

Swill on
    edited November 2010
    pfft, you think you can get from the airport to central London in 20 minutes? Good luck.

and by bed you mean spot on the floor, then yes.

Bad-Beat on
    edited November 2010
    Bad-Beat, help, I'm lost on the tubes, I just keeping going round and round.

(don't ask how I'm posting this).

Liiya on
    edited November 2010
    If you're going round and round you are on the circle line. Change at Embankment and get the southbound platform.

Bad-Beat on
    edited November 2010
    Orik thanks for reminding me to make my VA mental health appointment.

Weaver on
    edited November 2010
    Informative!

Thank you.

Liiya on
  • Darth AardvarkDarth Aardvark Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    is "not wanting to talk to cs people" a valid reason to avoid minoring in cs

Darth Aardvark on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    my feet smell

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited November 2010
    my feet smell

put some gold bond on 'em, son

Weaver on
    edited November 2010
    My Twitter: currently banging (sorry shagging, new to the culture here LOL) on roy's floor while he spreads some kipper and herring on a slice of bread in the other room.

Swill on
    edited November 2010
    What.

Liiya on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd spent so long trying to find a list of places to apply to, but the sat scores mark a different of about 100 points between what I got in the math section as compared to the average incoming freshman scores for those schools. I would try the sat again and hope for a higher mark, but my counselor would only send out your official transcripts/secondary school report if you'd told her what places you would apply to by this Monday, leaving me only a couple of days to research schools I might fit in better. Also my current grades aren't very good, and I don't want any potential college seeing them until I can raise them. So in the end, I didn't give her anything, meaning my pool of choices has now been trimmed to public colleges in California, which don't need the secondary school report. Essentially, CSU's and UC Riverside. I'm not too happy about that at all.

Muse Among Men on
    edited November 2010
    is there a possibility of transferring in the next intake season, muse?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Muse, is Riverside the only UC because it is the only one that does not require the report or because it is the only one you feel you can get into? If its the latter, I see no reason not to apply to UCLA, UCSD, UCSB and/or UCI since your pool of schools has shrunk so much.

Edit: Also Berkeley, because why the hell not?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    if there is anything i have learned in my brief and privileged life, it is that counselors are no better informed than you are, and probably quite a bit less

amen, brother

Antimatter on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it's not a productive or particularly healthy line of thought but

it's hard to shake the notion that most of the people yu encounter up until the age of about 18 that occupy roles in which they advise & aid are not exactly the golden ideals to which motivated & talented students aspire

Charles Kinbote on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    Muse, is Riverside the only UC because it is the only one that does not require the report or because it is the only one you feel you can get into? If its the latter, I see no reason not to apply to UCLA, UCSD, UCSB and/or UCI since your pool of schools has shrunk so much.

The latter (none of the UCs require that school report). I might as well do as you've mentioned though because I have 4 fee waivers, but it is a long-shot. I suppose I could get into UC Merced (which would be difficult to not be accepted to) and then try to transfer out I guess.

@ Orik: You mean like trying to apply winter/spring semesters? I'm not sure what you mean, clarify please? I don't know, I want to wait on my December sat scores and see if I need to reevaluate my college list. Or maybe I could try to apply under something like an English major, so maybe they'd overlook my math scores, and then try to change my major to undecided, I wonder if that could work (though I still wouldn't be able to apply right now because of the score reports).

Muse Among Men on
    edited November 2010
    As a person who is making their first venture into an institute of higher learning, will somebody give me a run-down on how three classes a quarter counts as full time? I imagine it's lots of reading and assignment-work?

Weaver on
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Weaver wrote: »
    As a person who is making their first venture into an institute of higher learning, will somebody give me a run-down on how three classes a quarter counts as full time? I imagine it's lots of reading and assignment-work?

each school is different but I was told to expect that a student should expect the same amount of time in class, studying and doing things out of class. So if you have 3 classes taking 20 hours a week, that is about 40 hours of actual work (assuming you aren't a blowhard and you do study)

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah the big shift between secondary and post-secondary education is that in-class time actually becomes the minority

In my experience workloads at the 100 level are about 1 or 2 hours out-of-class work for each hour in-class, but up at the 300- or 400- level it becomes pretty easy to have 5 hours of work for each hour in class

Charles Kinbote on
    edited November 2010

The latter (none of the UCs require that school report). I might as well do as you've mentioned though because I have 4 fee waivers, but it is a long-shot. I suppose I could get into UC Merced (which would be difficult to not be accepted to) and then try to transfer out I guess.

@ Orik: You mean like trying to apply winter/spring semesters? I'm not sure what you mean, clarify please? I don't know, I want to wait on my December sat scores and see if I need to reevaluate my college list. Or maybe I could try to apply under something like an English major, so maybe they'd overlook my math scores, and then try to change my major to undecided, I wonder if that could work (though I still wouldn't be able to apply right now because of the score reports).

go to a state school and then work your butt off for a year and try to transfer into a better school based on your new, awesome gpa

Orikaeshigitae on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Muse use the fee waivers for UCLA, UCSB, UCI and UCR
    Don't apply to Merced

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
This discussion has been closed.