As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I shot the [chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    you will look at what you have wrought, how pathetic and derivative it is upon the page, a gutted shrivelled
    corpse of the splendid idea in your head

you will simultaneously confront your failings as a writer and communicator, the mundane and trivial nature of your thoughts, and the vast gulf of incommunicability that lies between all minds.

This is how I view almost all fiction.

This is how I view all writing.

That's why writing is an act of courage and conviction

even if you're terrible

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone who doesn't read is far more likely to be derivative in a bad way than someone well read

I was trying to be facetious and self-deprecating, I thought the goosebumps thing would give it away. Either way, I'm pretty sure I could never pull off a novel, let alone more than 10 pages of something creative and original. I generally strive to be concise.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man, that sounds excellent.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mundane and trivial?

Read better writers :P

I generally do. And those writers generally write non-fiction.

Zombie Borges is gonna come punch you now.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Will I am totally there with you on the preppy look

although these days I am shopping at stores where incredibly good looking wealthy black dudes who listen to independent hip hop buy their clothes

so preppy but a little more ballin'

yeah i have a real appreciation for the "black prep" look. i don't personally try it, mostly because the color palette is often specifically selected to look terrible on white people (lots of pinks, oranges and golds and a propensity for bold primaries and some pastels).

but i think it's a big improvement on what's passed for "black" fashion for the last decade or so.

boston is a terrible place for black fashion. there are for the most part not enough black people to have any kind of local organic culture or fashion, so they mostly take their cues off of MTV or wherever else. it sends up just being ridiculous-looking and really expensive.

i saw one dude recently with a bright red oversized tee tucked in at the huge belt buckle and bright red baggy jeans and bright red puffy kicks printed on the tee was a huge Marvin the Martian and the belt buckle said "MARVIN"

i mean

really dude?

I'll never ever

ever

understand the "3x sizes too tall" tshirt thing.

Never.

Why would grown men want to look like toddlers who couldn't dress themselves?

Sheep on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's been raining since 6 this morning.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you will look at what you have wrought, how pathetic and derivative it is upon the page, a gutted shrivelled
    corpse of the splendid idea in your head

you will simultaneously confront your failings as a writer and communicator, the mundane and trivial nature of your thoughts, and the vast gulf of incommunicability that lies between all minds.

This is how I view almost all fiction.

This is how I view all writing.

That's why writing is an act of courage and conviction

even if you're terrible

I agree completely

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    50k hardly seems concise to me but I might just be crazy on that point.

So, which of the 3 PA comics are you guys in favor of?

The New Kid.

Almost wanted to vote for Sand, but I think New Kid will be better. Also, since it's a 15 year project I think they'll make Sand at one point any way.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    mike, did I show you the new valerie-esque song I did?

I like it, though with all the reverb bussing I was doing, it got a little overcompressed.

and it has elizabeth bishop reading in it!
    ssssssend send send

Super Ghost -- Late Air

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There are ~4000 images on my phone that I can't find. It was a collection of images for cakes, just random stuff. I put them on my phone's SD card to transport them, they're still viewable through the gallery, but they aren't in any accessible folder when I hook the phone up to my PC. This is driving me nuts, it's a good 2 gigs of space that I don't have.

The card might have hidden folders that force you to go through whatever software they have in order to get them. Try unhiding folders?
    I did, nothing appeared though. This was a folder I added to the SD card, the phone's running Android. When I check the size of all the visible folders on the card I get one amount of space taken up, when I look at the card on the phone it shows another.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    50k hardly seems concise to me but I might just be crazy on that point.

So, which of the 3 PA comics are you guys in favor of?

The New Kid.

Almost wanted to vote for Sand, but I think New Kid will be better. Also, since it's a 15 year project I think they'll make Sand at one point any way.

Sounds like they plan on making all three of them, it's just order we're voting on.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Then New Kid all the way, indeed.

And to be honest I don't quite understand what's going on in this last option.

Honk on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jesus, pasting something out of Pages into Tumblr is a pain in the ass. The formatting turns retarded.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yami, Shaz, Vari, Eddy, Podly.

First rounds on me.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    I'll never ever

ever

Never.

It's like when an animal puffs up its fur to look bigger or a lizard has a hood on its neck that it can expand. It makes you look bigger than you really are.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Then New Kid all the way, indeed.

And to be honest I don't quite understand what's going on in this last option.

I just posted a song and everything :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    I'll never ever

ever

Never.

When you get sent to jail/prison, you don't get a lot of choices for clothing. Sometimes all you get to choose from is something way too small versus something way too huge. And they don't let you have belts. So wearing your pants that way voluntarily started out as a way of signaling that you've done time. It demonstrated that you were hard.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Secret nerd confession: I have a recording of myself playing and singing belruel somewhere on my hard drive

hahahaha is mistyped it as bard drive

EVEN BETTER

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mmmmm this Subway is good.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sup [chat], I just had a shitty meet&greet with a company I wanna work for.

There were so many people there that the employees didn't have time to talk to me personally and instead I was herded in a conference room with 25 others for a general talk about the company and we could ask questions. I managed to have something to say, but it was kind of stupid. There was one woman there on the table's end who just claimed the whole thing for herself by joking with the director, asking all kinds of questions and talking a lot.

Nothing she said was interesting

But I couldn't tell her that

There wasn't even room for me at the table

Aldo on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Stupid YouTube is blocked at work.
    My Belruel
    'twas the twelving day of Everfair
    when fell my maid of raven hair
    beneath her cloven standard of the wren
    and damn that roiling goblin horde
    we'd almost slain the overlord
    but i could never roll an elf again

"The Queen of Bells and Battle-Downs"
    she wore the title like a crown
    Foes so deep a man would drown, but she still stood alone
    a princess and a duchess both
    and sworn to nine prestigious oaths,
    her duties, they would take her to that twisting spire of stone

Against his tower, a silhouette
    She called like a coronet
    And the green sea of his armies burst from warrens far below
    The pacts he'd made with demonkind
    Had rent his thin and tattered mind
    And hellish princedoms occupied the arrow he let go

They took her through the crowded square
    And laid her at the temple stair
    The sorcelled barb of Arudair beyond their healing arts
    there stands a circlet on her brow
    that turns the blades of men around
    But if Belruel could hear me now
    This song would pierce her heart

'twas the twelving day of Everfair
    when fell my maid of raven hair
    beneath her cloven standard of the wren
    damn that roiling goblin horde!
    and damn their hell-bound the overlord!
    but i could never roll an elf again

It's tycho singing that

He's not just singing it, he's practically reliving it. It's fantastic.

Hearing him sing it at PAX a couple years ago was wonderful, he's got a lovely voice.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't see the appeal of The New Kid, it seems open and shut. Maybe they're right and it would be an easy sell as a cartoon, but I still don't really wish to know more.

So that leaves Sand, or mystery option 3 that could be WoW comics.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A ha, figured it out. It considered the Recycled folder a system folder, so I had to un-hide system folders. And there was my 2 gigs of space. I don't know why it just dropped everything into the Recycled folder instead of deleting it all though...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    when tycho sang that at PAX i was lost

i was lost a lot that weekend

<--needs to ramp up his nerdiness

Organichu on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    God dammit I am getting addicted to TF2 again.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I don't see the appeal of The New Kid, it seems open and shut. Maybe they're right and it would be an easy sell as a cartoon, but I still don't really wish to know more.

Option 3 would be a comic book version of one of tycho's old D&D characters that he is heavily invested in emotionally.

I won't like that robot laser jesus makes sand sound fun but I feel like there is a lot more passion behind the Queen of Bells.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

When you get sent to jail/prison, you don't get a lot of choices for clothing. Sometimes all you get to choose from is something way too small versus something way too huge. And they don't let you have belts. So wearing your pants that way voluntarily started out as a way of signaling that you've done time. It demonstrated that you were hard.

I'm referring specifically to the fashion I see employed by many black men that's basically them buying a super tall Hanes T shirt that goes down to their knees. Not the sagging.

Unless they do the long T shirt and the sagging at the same time. Which... Man that doesn't even make sense.

But I'd double check that explanation, as something similar is used to explain sagging and I think Snopes debunked it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    God dammit I am getting addicted to TF2 again.

Last time I played it I couldn't get into it at all. Like, played for 10 minutes before I was just bored. Admittedly I was on some random pub server and not the PA ones.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Secret nerd confession: I have a recording of myself playing and singing belruel somewhere on my hard drive

hahahaha is mistyped it as bard drive

EVEN BETTER
    This is now the name for the hard drive that holds my music.

Hard Drive (C:/)
    Bard Drive (F:/)

Aldo on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SE++ Belruel?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Option 3 would be a comic book version of one of tycho's old D&D characters that he is heavily invested in emotionally.

I won't like that robot laser jesus makes sand sound fun but I feel like there is a lot more passion behind the Queen of Bells.

Yeah, but have you ever talked to someone who is passionate about their D&D character and wishes to share it with you?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

that is really good but hell of depressing.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Oh, so it's directly another Jim Darkmagic? Jesus, no, I don't want that. People going on and on about their old D&D characters isn't a good thing.

Hmmm. Well, that makes my decision for me. Robo-Christianity it is.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

This is exactly what I think.

The New Kid makes a good single-strip thing, but it seems like it would be far too... episodic? Yeah pretty much like a Saturday morning cartoon or something.

Don't get me wrong, it would make an awesome cartoon

But I rather have a deeper comic. And the basis of SAND sounds awesome as hell.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They're talking about Nanowrimo on BBC radio now!

Honk on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Sup [chat], I just had a shitty meet&greet with a company I wanna work for.

There were so many people there that the employees didn't have time to talk to me personally and instead I was herded in a conference room with 25 others for a general talk about the company and we could ask questions. I managed to have something to say, but it was kind of stupid. There was one woman there on the table's end who just claimed the whole thing for herself by joking with the director, asking all kinds of questions and talking a lot.

Nothing she said was interesting

But I couldn't tell her that

There wasn't even room for me at the table

Don't worry to much, I attended an Open House kind of thing to get the job I'm at currently with a bunch of other people and although I really felt bad about not having anything to say for a couple demo's they gave us of stuff they were working on or in the general talk about the company things worked out pretty well.

I remember going home and thinking, damn, that guy next to me, his name was actually "Chief", how am I gonna compete with that, at least I got some free pizza out of it. A week later they were like, hey, we're sending you an offer so I apparently nailed my interviews enough to make up for it.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I'm actually pretty interested in all three this time.

I couldn't have cared less about Lookouts and it's terrible ending and the PR fallout couldn't have been more fitting.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

This is exactly what I think.

The New Kid makes a good single-strip thing, but it seems like it would be far too... episodic? Yeah pretty much like a Saturday morning cartoon or something.

Don't get me wrong, it would make an awesome cartoon

But I rather have a deeper comic. And the basis of SAND sounds awesome as hell.

Remember that this will only be like 5-10 pages at first though. If they go for something deeper, it is unlikely to get the treatment it deserves and deliver on what people are hungering for.

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.