As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Car wrecked? What do I do with it now?

AiouaAioua Ora OccidensOra OptimaRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I rear ended a guy on the freeway last night. Yay! People are all fine, my car, however, is borked. The guy at the tow lot said they could get rid of it for me, of course i'd still be paying for towing and storage. He said I might be able to find a wrecking yard that will pay me for it. So how do I go about finding out who and how much I should be getting? I'm in the Seattle area, the car is a 97 dodge neon. The front end is bashed up pretty bad, but I imagine most of the engine is salvageabe. I'm not sure, I'll post a pic when I get home.
Before you ask, I don't have collision, mostly because its a crappy car and I wanted to get rid of it anyway. But yeah my insurace doesn't have any interest.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
Aioua on

• zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Call around some scrapyards and junkyards, see if they'll pay you for it or at least come get it for free. I wouldn't expect much though- $50-100 is probably the best you can expect.

zilo on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, we sold our barely-working car to a U Pull It, and only got about $250.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Your best bet is to see if the tow yard can deal with it for you for the cost your bill. Its best to do this now, as every day its in their yard you'll owe them money. The tow and storage for 1 day already is probably near 200 bucks. The yard will probably make some money off the car (which is why they offered), but at least you dont have to pay for anything.

*edit* i know they already offered to deal with it for you for free, but trust me, theyre making money off of this. Tell them you'll give them the car as a trade for services rendered (towing, storage). If they say no, get on the phone to scrap yards immediately. Then pay up. Its their loss if they dont take your deal, and theyll know that. Theyre just betting most people think the scrapped car is worth nothing, so they get to double dip in charging you for towing, storage and the profit from your wrecked car.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    update: Tow yard will just take it, but won't cut a break on the tow/storage.
    I talked to my insurance about my claim, they said that I actually had coverage for the towing so the tow company can just bill them. So that's nice. They also have a company they work with that'll take care of my car and find someone to buy it. The insurance lady didn't know exactly. They were closed, but I'll find out tomorrow what they can do for me.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You could try listing it on Craigslist. Put it under auto parts instead of/in addition to the regular auto section.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It might be good idea to have someone strip anything usable out and then sell the parts off one at a time, which is what the junkyard was going to do anyway.

Storage will be an issue though unless you don't mind leaving it in your backyard. After everything usable is stripped you can sell the chassis to a scrap heap or recycling plant.

Falx on
    edited November 2010
    updates:
    I bought a new car, yay. Go go '99 Oldsmobile Intrigue! :D

My isurance's recomended salvage place asked me a ton of questions and wanted me to send them some pics. They haven't given me a quote yet, I should hear back today. I also called around to some local yards, best offer was $200, all they wanted to know was make and model. I'm assuming they guys who actually cared should offer me a bit more. At the very least it'll cover my storage fees, and maybe I'll get enough to cover my ticket, too.

Aioua on
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    On that Intrigue: Is it the 3.8 (3800 Series II) V6 or the 3.5?

Cause if it's the 3.5 "Shortstar" you have one hell of an engine there. It's based on the 4.6 Olds (which is basically a 4.6 Northstar) and is peppy, good on fuel and reilable as all get-out

Not to say that the 3800 is a "bad" motor - it's the most reliable V6 GM ever put out. Not a powerhouse by any stretch of the word, but in that car the 3.5 is definitely the better. One thing to watch out for though is that transmission. It'll hold out as long as you want it to, as long as you don't get it flushed. When tranny service time comes, a simple drain and fill with filter swap is quite good enough

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
    edited November 2010
    Yeah it's the 3.5. It's nice to have a car with guts!

Aioua on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you can look into donating the husk as well, you might be better off with a nice tax deduction rather than $100 cash.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited November 2010
    Plan solidified!
    So work changed my hours to 10:30 - 7:00 for the rest of the week. :/ And the wrecking yards won't pick anything up today. :/
    So as it stands:
    After work today, I go to the tow yard, pay my bill up, including storgae for tomorrow. After that stop by bank, get title from safety deposit box.
    Then tommorrow, hopefully the handover will go smooth. Both places said they could do it if I wasn't there. ¬_¬
    Then on wednesday, I have to get up early to take the title down to the wrecking yard when they open so I can get my money. Oh yeah and they're about 20 miles south of my house. Work is about 20 north. Boo.

Aioua on