As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I shot the [chat]

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm hoping Queen of Bells gets chosen. Alternatively, New Kid.

If I want laser cowboy Jesus future stuff I'll just watch Trigun.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Poor The New Kid, he hasn't had an easy time and here you are picking on him. :(

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I don't see the appeal of The New Kid, it seems open and shut. Maybe they're right and it would be an easy sell as a cartoon, but I still don't really wish to know more.

So that leaves Sand, or mystery option 3 that could be WoW comics.

This is exactly what I think.

The New Kid makes a good single-strip thing, but it seems like it would be far too... episodic? Yeah pretty much like a Saturday morning cartoon or something.

Don't get me wrong, it would make an awesome cartoon

But I rather have a deeper comic. And the basis of SAND sounds awesome as hell.

Remember that this will only be like 5-10 pages at first though. If they go for something deeper, it is unlikely to get the treatment it deserves and deliver on what people are hungering for.

I don't know about that. Unlike some people I was really pleased with the amount of content we got from Automata and Lookouts.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh, so it's directly another Jim Darkmagic? Jesus, no, I don't want that. People going on and on about their old D&D characters isn't a good thing.

Hmmm. Well, that makes my decision for me. Robo-Christianity it is.

No, not like Jim Darkmagic at all really. Gabe and Tycho make very different kinds of characters.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    I just killed the Lich King. Game over, I win.

Echo on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I still like Automata.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't really get what's going on in Sand.

What is the sci-fi explanation for why he doesn't die from getting hanged?

Winky on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would probably go with Sand or Queen of Bells. The New Kid just really didn't interest me that much.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Winky wrote: »

He is a robutt, apparently.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That first panel of The Lookouts was great. It's a shame it clearly did not accurately represent the brand itself.

The guest Automata comic was decent apart from the pacing, I'd possibly be interested in seeing something longer and better structured.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Robot laser Jesus. Apparently.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010

He's a robutt.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    This is apparently from the 2nd PA book (Sabremau quoted it in the comic thread)
    Sand was one of the first projects we ever worked on, four of five years before Penny Arcade--the period scholars refer to as "BPA." It was something Gabe was doing perfectly well on his own, but I wanted in so I sort of insinuated myself into the project. That happens a lot, actually. Penny Arcade itself fits that description.

Sand is essentially a "weird west" version of the Old Testament, one that takes you roughly from Passover to the fall of Jericho. On the dry world of Deserta, the arrangement of that planet's political board inspires a damaged, ship-bound A.I. to fill in the gaps with clones. Actual events and holy writ are commingled as it begins to send out an increasingly insane series of messiahs. Jacob Phorr, pictured at right, is the first one we meet. By this time, the "chosen people" have had quite enough saviors, thank you very much, and aren't in the market for another. I really enjoyed putting this one together.

We were going to cook this project up for the Flight Anthology, which you might have heard of--the first two volumes of which are basically marvelous. In the end, we decided that Sand was superficially very similar to Flight editor Kazu Kibuishi's unbelievable Daisy Kutter series, and felt that aping him in his own God-damn book was probably impolite.

I think it sounds like a pretty badass concept.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't see the appeal of The New Kid, it seems open and shut. Maybe they're right and it would be an easy sell as a cartoon, but I still don't really wish to know more.

So that leaves Sand, or mystery option 3 that could be WoW comics.

How about option 4: go back to being funny?

No, wait, that's option 5. Option 4 is a miscarriage comic.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It was explained that the planet houses some ancient computer that starts to produce prophets. And apparently the guy is one of them and can't die.

Someone tell me what's going on in the Queen of Bells one?

Honk on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Yami, Shaz, Vari, Eddy, Podly.

First rounds on me.

wish i could make it down

your timing is just a few weeks off dude

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Or he's a ghost.

They say "kill him again". That could mean that he's died before and not necessarily a reference to their botched attempt. Sci Fi comic High Planes Drifter? Yes please.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Mmmmm this Subway is good.

lies

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh, so it's directly another Jim Darkmagic? Jesus, no, I don't want that. People going on and on about their old D&D characters isn't a good thing.

Hmmm. Well, that makes my decision for me. Robo-Christianity it is.

No, not like Jim Darkmagic at all really. Gabe and Tycho make very different kinds of characters.

It's a comic about a D&D character, that is the end of the line for me. And for most people, I'd imagine.

Sounds like The New Kid has this one in the bag.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Yami, Shaz, Vari, Eddy, Podly.

First rounds on me.

wish i could make it down

your timing is just a few weeks off dude

Man.

I'm bummed.

But I have plans to make PAX East, so there's that.

And there are also plenty of opportunities in the future for business trips. I got at least two classes next year. One is San Fran. Hey, maybe Boston can be one too!

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Honk wrote: »

It was explained that the planet houses some ancient computer that starts to produce prophets. And apparently the guy is one of them and can't die.

Go back and skim the last three pages or so of [chat]. This has been explained a couple times now.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Feral wrote: »

When you get sent to jail/prison, you don't get a lot of choices for clothing. Sometimes all you get to choose from is something way too small versus something way too huge. And they don't let you have belts. So wearing your pants that way voluntarily started out as a way of signaling that you've done time. It demonstrated that you were hard.

I'm referring specifically to the fashion I see employed by many black men that's basically them buying a super tall Hanes T shirt that goes down to their knees. Not the sagging.

Unless they do the long T shirt and the sagging at the same time. Which... Man that doesn't even make sense.

But I'd double check that explanation, as something similar is used to explain sagging and I think Snopes debunked it.

At a certain point is stops being a t-shirt.

And becomes a pretty dress.

Galahad on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Sup [chat], I just had a shitty meet&greet with a company I wanna work for.

There were so many people there that the employees didn't have time to talk to me personally and instead I was herded in a conference room with 25 others for a general talk about the company and we could ask questions. I managed to have something to say, but it was kind of stupid. There was one woman there on the table's end who just claimed the whole thing for herself by joking with the director, asking all kinds of questions and talking a lot.

Nothing she said was interesting

But I couldn't tell her that

There wasn't even room for me at the table

Don't worry to much, I attended an Open House kind of thing to get the job I'm at currently with a bunch of other people and although I really felt bad about not having anything to say for a couple demo's they gave us of stuff they were working on or in the general talk about the company things worked out pretty well.

I remember going home and thinking, damn, that guy next to me, his name was actually "Chief", how am I gonna compete with that, at least I got some free pizza out of it. A week later they were like, hey, we're sending you an offer so I apparently nailed my interviews enough to make up for it.

I don't have an interview with them, I just sent in an application and they invited everyone interested in applying to this Open House affair. So I had no choice but coming, I have no idea what my chances actually are and I couldn't even ask.

They said they were going to invite people over for interviews in the coming 2 weeks and that they were gonna make a first selection based on the profile they were looking for first. If I wouldn't want that job I would have asked why the fuck they hadn't made that selection before making me come over for their Meet & Greet.

Aldo on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    aw man sheep I wish I could make it but I'm so far behind on a lot of stuff

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Honk wrote: »

It's a comic about one of their D&D characters. He wrote a song about it too, by all accounts.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Queen of Bells has nothing to do with D&D. Here's Tycho's post when from when he first wrote the song:
    Tycho wrote:
    The song I put together for (DS Guitar Simulator) Jam Sessions is up now, I guess they have a MySpace set up for the program, and my "track" is available down a bit, on the right, in an embedded player. Entitled "My Belruel," it's... Hm. It's sort of like a folk song written about a game that doesn't exist. I could do something far more elaborate now, but they needed it back then. The chord progression is extremely basic - I was trying to see what I could wring out of the application in terms of dynamics, and I came away pretty surprised. Lyrics are here, if you are interested.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Mmmmm this Subway is good.

lies

Man if you say Quiznos is better, I'll...

I don't know what I'll do, but it'll probably be drastic and overly dramatic.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    man, if i get this teller position

so much pax east

all of the pax east

Organichu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

When you get sent to jail/prison, you don't get a lot of choices for clothing. Sometimes all you get to choose from is something way too small versus something way too huge. And they don't let you have belts. So wearing your pants that way voluntarily started out as a way of signaling that you've done time. It demonstrated that you were hard.

I'm referring specifically to the fashion I see employed by many black men that's basically them buying a super tall Hanes T shirt that goes down to their knees. Not the sagging.

Unless they do the long T shirt and the sagging at the same time. Which... Man that doesn't even make sense.

But I'd double check that explanation, as something similar is used to explain sagging and I think Snopes debunked it.

The huge-ass white t-shirt came from the same origin.

And I just checked Snopes and it confirms what I was saying.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Aha so it's based on a song.

Honk on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have heard wonderful stories when people actually tell their adventures from DnD as a story not as, "Well they were awesome and did a quadrillion d6 damage on a back stab and this one time...." schtick. Some peoples DnD campaigns actually are long epic stories and journeys that can be wonderful stories.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I like Quiznos more than Subway.

I think they do a better tuna melt, and thats pretty much all I ever get from sandwich places.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I think they do a better tuna melt, and thats pretty much all I ever get from sandwich places.

When I want tuna

i knock on your mom's door

hey-o

Feral on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah Quiznos is way better than Subway.

Not that being better than Subway is a huge feat.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    weather man bobweather man bob El Heffer Assholeville USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

They have better bread than Subway.

Plus they carry blue cheese, gucamole, and other sorts of sides that subway dosen't.

edit: love the parmasean chips

weather man bob on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

When I want tuna

i knock on your mom's door

hey-o

Me too!

She buys my groceries :D

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

that is really good but hell of depressing.

I need to fix the ending. I'm really bad at short story endings.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The huge-ass white t-shirt came from the same origin.

And I just checked Snopes and it confirms what I was saying.

Whelp. Solves that then. I had conflated the two "urban myths" so to speak.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Plus Quiznos has really tasty sauces

And I like their sammies

Nocturne on
This discussion has been closed.