As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will there ever be a day when PC mods can be played on consoles?

Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
I ask after reading the topic about becoming a game developer and as someone that used to be a hardcore modder.

I remember Infinity Ward was going to port the best COD4 maps to consoles, but of course, that never happened. Instead they release 4 maps for $15.

Battlefield 2 had some killer mods. Battlefield 3 is coming out and I wish mods could be used on the consoles. Granted, modding isn't as great as it once was from what I can tell (games require more time and resources to produce), so I'm thinking the answer is a resounding "no," but I've been out of the modding scene a long time and was wondering if there's perhaps one company (Valve?) that would help put a mod out on the console. Even then I can think of the problems like programming the game for each console and implementing updates...

Is it just a pipe dream or could it realistically happen? Or if not mods, what about maps? I miss having custom maps for balanced FPS games.

Black Ice on

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's effectively never going to happen. Modded content is, by definition, unrated and unregulated and yet the instant someone sticks something objectionable, game, or console-breaking in a game, the developer, publisher, and console manufacturer have to bear the public media shitstorm, regardless of their actual responsibility.

For game developers, making mods work on consoles is worth absolutely no one's time or money, as QA is impossible, and there is no quantifiable monetary benefit. Additionally the console-makers would certainly have the final say, which is always going to be "<expletives> NO."

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Didn't Unreal Tournament 3 do that?

reVerse on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    On the other hand denying Console games the ability to be modified allows the PC games to have an advantage selling point in an era where PC gaming is losing more and more of its appeal to the Consoles and other non-PC devices.

Yogo on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you can't make money on it, it's not worth a developer's time. The closest we'll ever get is something like Halo's Forge.

zilo on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't see mods on consoles in the traditional sense, but I bet we'll see more user generated game platforms like LittleBigPlanet in the future.

Darlan on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Counter-Strike is a PC mod playable on consoles!

wonderpug on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Didn't Unreal Tournament 3 do that?

It did indeed, but only on PS3.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can't you MacGuyver Morrowind mods into the Xbox version of the game? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Can't you MacGuyver Morrowind mods into the Xbox version of the game? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

I remember reading something about doing that for Oblivion/FO3.

But yeah, it'll never happen because devs already complain about the certification processes for patches, 3rd party mods have no chance in hell

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yogo wrote: »
    On the other hand denying Console games the ability to be modified allows the PC games to have an advantage selling point in an era where PC gaming is losing more and more of its appeal to the Consoles and other non-PC devices.

Ya, but they tell that since the PS1 hit the market. The truth? You can emulate PS1 games on PC (aside of C64, megadrive, amiga and even arcade machines) by now. PS emulation only stopped because Sony threatened the emu community with a serious lawsuit, just as they were ready to release a PS2 emulator (and at that time the PS2 was current console technology). Same thing for Xbox (there floats a Halo Xbox emu version around, released at the time where Halo wasn't supposed to make it to the PC to push console sales).

I have gone trough quite a a few systems myself. They all passed aways over the course of time. Their problem was always some new device hitting the market, outdating them.

PCs are different. The modular architecture allowed it to withstand any test of time. There were times where people looked down on PCs, and it will happen again. But in the end the PCs will always catch up. Because the system can assimilate new technology quite easily whilst offering compatibility to ANYTHING, not just backwards compatibility. Its OS is SOFTWARE and can be (and is) exchanged easily for anything you like. This allows for extraordinary flexibility.

Being rather tool than a dedicated toy, it opens up quit a lot of possibilities - positive and negative, btw. Just as modability encourages selling games on PCs, piracy (wich is equally easy) suggests rather going blueray. That is of course until PCs incoperate a blueray burner in the standart configuration...

Nobody is really denying consoles modability. If you get a keyboard, and internet connection and dev tools you are ready to go. At that part you turned your console into a computer of course (they come even with harddrives these days).

The majority has no interest in this route (if they have they buy a computer instead, and rightfully so), so there are no mods. Its no like you couldn't do it. But that defeats of course the entire idea of consoles.

In the end you want a better tool, and a better tool is a computer, not a console dedicated to play games exclusively. You always end up with PCs or something comperable.

The appeal of PCs is a lasting one. The appeal of consoles is shortlived. You will go through systems and witness their slow and painful death until you learned this lesson.

They are telling PC gaming is dying since the release of the PS1... since 1994... sixteen years. Meanwhile the PS system died TWICE. Thats an awfully slow death. Won't happen.

ACSIS on