As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Lobbying like damn!

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    stalkers are incredibly mobile and can be warped in anywhere. the late game dps difference between colossi and whatever the zerg has out is really bad, and stalkers have no problems killing off corrupters/broodlords/ultras because of blink and their speed. basically it always comes down to colossi doing a hojillion damage and it's too difficult to continually rebuild while they take minimal losses. unless you have great positioning and a very strong econ lead it's an uphill battle.

the easiest zvps are where they try to beat me on 2 bases. the hardest are where they macro really hard and build up a stalker+colossi army.

Infestors turns blink stalkers into expensive hydra spine sponges.

p.s. - Anyone up for customs?

except colossi kill hydras way faster than hydras kill stalkers. which is always going to end up being your problem in late game vs toss. colossi dps is magnitudes higher than any unit zerg fields, and there is no marauder to kill stalkers that defend them.
    Colossus DPS is 18.18. Even if you're always hitting three units (and every shot won't), that's 54.55. Hydras deal 14.46 DPS to air or ground, and you can afford between 3 and 4 of them for each colossus your opponent fields (3.5 hydras deal 50.6 dps).

The reason it feels like a hard battle is that colossi, with their range and ability to walk over friendly units, are almost always shooting at *something*, while your army moves into position. As Zerg, you have plenty of DPS with almost all units (only roaches have less than stellar DPS and they're still far ahead of shit like stalkers or sentries), but you really have to work to bring it to bear.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mast I'll practice with you.

Keamien.814

Keamien on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Idra will be on tomorrow state of the game podcast too, I mean he's a good player and all but so boring and has been in korea too long always says the same things :P

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    stalkers are incredibly mobile and can be warped in anywhere. the late game dps difference between colossi and whatever the zerg has out is really bad, and stalkers have no problems killing off corrupters/broodlords/ultras because of blink and their speed. basically it always comes down to colossi doing a hojillion damage and it's too difficult to continually rebuild while they take minimal losses. unless you have great positioning and a very strong econ lead it's an uphill battle.

the easiest zvps are where they try to beat me on 2 bases. the hardest are where they macro really hard and build up a stalker+colossi army.

except colossi kill hydras way faster than hydras kill stalkers. which is always going to end up being your problem in late game vs toss. colossi dps is magnitudes higher than any unit zerg fields, and there is no marauder to kill stalkers that defend them.
    Colossus DPS is 18.18. Even if you're always hitting three units (and every shot won't), that's 54.55. Hydras deal 14.46 DPS to air or ground, and you can afford between 3 and 4 of them for each colossus your opponent fields (3.5 hydras deal 50.6 dps).

The reason it feels like a hard battle is that colossi, with their range and ability to walk over friendly units, are almost always shooting at *something*, while your army moves into position. As Zerg, you have plenty of DPS with almost all units (only roaches have less than stellar DPS and they're still far ahead of shit like stalkers or sentries), but you really have to work to bring it to bear.

Just to nitpick, stalkers do more dps than roaches to armored targets (roach: 16 dmg/2s = 8 dps, stalker vs. armored: (10+4) dmg/1.44s = 9.72 dps).

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Idra will be on tomorrow state of the game podcast too, I mean he's a good player and all but so boring and has been in korea too long always says the same things :P

He can complain about how zerg is OP and people should apologize for playing them.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kambing wrote: »

Just to nitpick, stalkers do more dps than roaches to armored targets (roach: 16 dmg/2s = 8 dps, stalker vs. armored: (10+4) dmg/1.44s = 9.72 dps).

So a 125/50 2 food unit does more damage to a specific unit type than a 75/25 2 food unit does to everything?

Yeah, way better

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure colossi hit more than 3 units with a full spread. in an ideal situation can't they hit like 5-6 hydras at a time?

anyway positioning is what kills you. cliff walking and blink make ultras ineffective. cliff walking and blink make chokes ineffective(and FFs can create chokes). blink makes broodlords ineffective. One time I was on 5 bases pumping ultras, but I couldn't really kill off the toss because it's impossible to bring 15 ultras in on a colossus+stalker ball for numerous reasons and in the end I wished I had spent that 3k gas on mutas instead since positioning doesn't mean anything to them.

Jars on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BoxeR vs KyrixZenith game 1 - Holyfuckingshitomgthatwasawesome
    BoxeR vs KyrixZenith game X (final game) - Holyfuckingshitomgthatwasafungametowatchhowawesomewasthat

Time to watch HopeTorture vs NEXGenius now. Thank Cthulhu for Koreans evolving into SC2. We've really had some awesome games in the last couple weeks.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    where are u watching this and im mad i missed boxer

EDIT: gom tv right?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Crovaxan wrote: »
    where are u watching this and im mad i missed boxer

EDIT: gom tv right?

justin.tv
    username: imoogle

v. v. nice resolution
    ty Urquan for showing me

EDIT: BoxeR is the fake BoxeR just in case you were wondering. Such amazing marine micro though. SlayerS BoxeR would be proud.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You know that stalkers cost almost twice as much as roaches, right? We're talking 125/50 to 75/25, here, and the roaches still do more DPS to anything that isn't armored.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure colossi hit more than 3 units with a full spread. in an ideal situation can't they hit like 5-6 hydras at a time?

anyway positioning is what kills you. cliff walking and blink make ultras ineffective. cliff walking and blink make chokes ineffective(and FFs can create chokes). blink makes broodlords ineffective. One time I was on 5 bases pumping ultras, but I couldn't really kill off the toss because it's impossible to bring 15 ultras in on a colossus+stalker ball for numerous reasons and in the end I wished I had spent that 3k gas on mutas instead since positioning doesn't mean anything to them.
    I'm telling you, get some infestors. Fungal his blob and then kill it with whatever you fancy.

[Edit: Also, getting 3 units per shot with colossi is good; 4 or 5 will only happen if you're shooting at zerglings.]

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What in the name of Apollo did you just link us to?

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You know that stalkers cost almost twice as much as roaches, right? We're talking 125/50 to 75/25, here, and the roaches still do more DPS to anything that isn't armored.

Yes, I know that. I'm just pointing out the simple fact that a roach's dps isn't ahead of stalkers when fighting armored units.

In any event, comparing cross-race unit cost is a silly endeavor. You should know that. =P

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Definitely concur with everyone Fauxer's micro was amazing. I had to rewind a few times to really catch everything he was doing. Soooo insane!

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What in the name of Apollo did you just link us to?

man like i know

im watching it with day9's audio

surreal

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Yes, I know that. I'm just pointing out the simple fact that a roach's dps isn't ahead of stalkers when fighting armored units.

In any event, comparing cross-race unit cost is a silly endeavor. You should know that. =P
    My point is that Jars' complaint that he can't get any DPS is wrong. Zerg ground units as a whole have dramatically better DPS that Toss and probably have better DPS than non-stimmed Terran armies (on average). That's deliberate—getting your DPS from a large number of weaker units is more difficult to manage positionally, so Zerg get better DPS to compensate for it.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

this is good to know. thanks

valiance on
  • Options
    vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is no good excuse for you to not be watching Day9 right now

vallav on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Stupid colossus being dumb and OP.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    vallav wrote: »
    Saving your sleep for Boxer v Nada is a good excuse.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    vallav wrote: »
    Saving your sleep for Boxer v Nada is a good excuse.

Ok, I stand corrected.
    I wish I could tune in to that, I`ll be writing a midterm :(

vallav on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    boxer v nada is what we call my tuesday afternoon

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    All the monday fundays are terrible day9, not just todays :(

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    can't believe i just lost to two 6pools in a row

my fucking god i am terrible tonight

it's like my brain just completely forgot how to play this game

Monoxide on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hahaha "he's not dumb, he's just neural parasited by a retarded infestor."

I could swear he's used that line before.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well this is a bad idea for funday monday anyway cause Team games are dumb and just turtle and make T3 units.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Even thoguh day 9 is on and all that, does anyone want to start a bit of a lobby up?
    I need some of that to wake up before I bother trying to ladder.
    327 on NA. I'll be back in 10 minutes or so, gonna go make a tea.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    lobby good.

funday monday... tough to come up with fun challenges.

Joe K on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Joe K wrote: »
    Yann wrote: »
    Joe K wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »
    You might have a local maximum that the program never gets out of, depending on the coding. The actual global maxima might be elsewhere.

plus, im pretty sure that this is a NP-Hard problem set, so you have no idea if you've ever hit, "optimal maxima". You just know that this run was better than the last one, or not.

It runs multiple strains, and does have a stagnation limit.

is the whole thing open source? i thought i saw that it was. i might be able to be talked into making a Protoss-centric object or two... :-)

Yup, Apache License, up at http://code.google.com/p/evolutionchamber/.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Watching Day9#208 now... I feel like a n00b.. I hotkey stuff... but I don't remember how to use it.. and turn into a clicking n00b in the game :( I know I can practice vs computer and practice practice practice.. but man :(

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just got rolled by mastman and then platinum plus. ZvT wreckage.

Then I go and ladder.

"Is that your 3rd mr zerg? You know I can't allow that."

"The gold too? NO!"

Keamien on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Keamien wrote: »
    Just got rolled by mastman and then platinum plus. ZvT wreckage.

Then I go and ladder.

"Is that your 3rd mr zerg? You know I can't allow that."

"The gold too? NO!"

there was nothing satisfying about failing both neural parasite attempts...just hitting f for fungal is so automatic I blew my wad

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'll join a lobby if someone makes one. Just laddering and playing 5 PvP in a row.

Using void rays at least makes them fun again, even if I only go 50/50 against early toss rushes.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll lobby.

I need so badly to stay awake somehow.

kedinik.852, message me if you want in on it.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    NA Top 200

There's hope for Joe yet :P
    if he can stop losing to bronzies

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I wish I had 3242 wins :P

My sig hasn't updated I should be over 200 now!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    dayvie still number 43 on ladder

you hold in there buddy

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    NA Top 200

There's hope for Joe yet :P
    if he can stop losing to bronzies

Catching up in achievement points with that fool, yay.

Kambing on