As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

XBox Kinect: 8 Million Sold and Growing!

AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
I figure some of you are so here's the place to post impressions. My kid wants one and I'm trying to convince her that we can only get one if she agrees to sell the Wii since we'll need the power outlet it takes up (kids are so dumb). This also doubles as an effective yet sneaky way of getting rid of the Wii and restoring my sanity when the kids all decide to play the stupid thing and wing the remotes all over as I scream at them to "USE THE STRAP DAMN IT!!!".

I know a bunch of you probably have already had the thing for months from the Beta program and are scared to post impressions. The one guy I know who has one posts around these parts and says the thing is garbage and you need the equivalent of a warehouse space to play with it. Also you have to wear a white sheet when you play.

So anyways if you're getting it post away, we won't judge.

Allforce on

• EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it sounds like you really dislike your kid

EggPuppet on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My roomate is getting is today or tomorrow. I don't expect anything more than another Eyetoy but I had some fun with that device. No reason to really hate it at this early point in time.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Of course I'm getting it.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Conundrum:

Harmonix game coming for Kinect. A dancing game. I don't dance. I am white and have no rhythm. However this game looks baller as fuck regardless. I wouldn't, however, stick it in the living room and dance in front of my roommates (because I guarantee they wouldn't play this), and my room isn't big enough for Kinect.

Also I'm not paying $150 for any sort of controller, especially one I'm only going to use for one game (and it really is the only interesting-looking one out there for me).

The answer to this conundrum is that I may just buy Dance Central and skip on the Kinect itself

UnbreakableVow on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EggPuppet wrote: »

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    Dance Central looks so, so good

Rent on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm kinda interested in the non-motion-control aspect of it. Voice commands and stuff.

Not $150 interested, unless it takes off with some great software support (or fails miserably and ends up in a bargain bin, either way is cool!)

Dehumanized on
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really don't know if we are the target demographic for this product.

Not sure how many forumers are dying to play with a fake tiger, play a fitness game, or get to dancing.

Sir Platypus on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Who is buying it? Soccer moms and girlfriends of guys who just saw Kinectimals.

In all seriousness, when the software range picks up I'll get it, though I had a bit of fun with Sonic Riders. It took a lap or two to figure it out, but after that it was pretty fun.

Waka Laka on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd play dance central.

....but not for $210. maybe when kinects are in the $25 clearance bin in a year or two.

SaraLuna on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If it drops to $20 I might pick it up. Maybe.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • salaysalay __BANNED USERS new member
    edited November 2010
    EggPuppet wrote: »

agreed!

salay on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really don't know if we are the target demographic for this product.

Astale on
    edited November 2010
    Guys, he's trying to get his kid to stop playing Wii and start playing 360

He's obviously a loving father that wants to do right by his child

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    Wait UV didn't you used to be a hardcore Sony fanboy?

Like, super hardcore?

Rent on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'm going to get flayed alive for saying this here, but if he wanted to do right by his kid he'd get rid of all the videogames period.

Astale on
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Wait UV didn't you used to be a hardcore Sony fanboy?

Like, super hardcore?

The PS3 remains my favorite system, if that's what you mean?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here

UnbreakableVow on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    If it drops to $20 I might pick it up. Maybe.

I'm waiting for the HD DVD bundle.

Algertman on
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd play dance central.

....but not for $210. maybe when kinects are in the $25 clearance bin in a year or two.

Meh, right now I'm using arefurbished 20gb 360. I'm interested in getting one of the new Kinect bundle consoles simply because of wi-fi and the like but can't afford to drop four hundred dollars right now.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As soon as my 360 finished taking a crap, which I assume won't be long, I'm just going to go the extra mile and pick up the Slim + Kinect bundle. I've gone through 6 white 360s (two a year), but I hear those Slims just don't fail as often.

My money will rest on the Kinect sensor RRODing.

Morvidus on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Astale wrote: »

I'm going to get flayed alive for saying this here, but if he wanted to do right by his kid he'd get all the videogames period.

fixed.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »

I'm going to get flayed alive for saying this here, but if he wanted to do right by his kid he'd get all the videogames period.

fixed.

Every kid needs at least 5 DSs. It's easier to catch'em all that way.

Algertman on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Everything I've seen or heard makes it sound unresponsive and terrible. Granted, I haven't seen or heard all that much, but it still puts me off on it. I remember this one video of an FPS demonstration. The regular people trying it were having a very difficult time with the game, didn't seem like they were having that much fun, and you could see the frustration in the Microsoft demonstrator's face.

How do you even effectively move around in those kind of games? Are all Kinect games going to effectively end up on rails?

I think a lack of a physical controller is a terrible idea for games. It's more than likely limiting in terms of terms of games developed, less responsive, and perhaps in some cases immersion breaking than if you were holding an actual motion controller. If I'm playing a sword or lightsaber game on the Wii/Sony Move, I'm holding a physical object with weight and in the shape of the weapon I'm carrying in-game. If I'm playing the same game on Kinect, I'm just swinging around my empty fist.

For those that do buy it, I really do hope I'm proven wrong. My pre-judgment may very well be incorrect and chances are some game will be announced for it that makes me rush out and buy one. The most interesting thing about it to me, though, is the controller free video feature. I'm weird like that. Games? Meh. Being able to control a video with my voice? Awesome!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe further down the line after I see an established software lineup and a price drop. I've been burned by being an early adopter before so I'm all about the "wait and see" approach this time.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Here's the thing.

I have a small living room. Between the Xbox and my settees, which are both at an angle to the monitor, there is a coffee table under which I store the controllers and games. I imagine I would have to move that out of the way, move both settees so I have room to step to either side, angle the monitor so I could be more central and not in danger of hitting a bookcase with my flailing, and hope that the fact that I have stuff in my living room didn't confuse the sensor.

All that so I can dance?

Even the sitting games would require me to move some stuff around so I'm at the right angle, which would mean that everything else would at the wrong angle for watching films or using the coffee table. Basically, I'm left with the voice controls to play DVDs, which would almost be enough to convice me if it was just £40.

Wasn't Fable 3 supposed to have some Kinect compatability? Or was that another bit of Molyneux bullshitting?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dudes, Dance Central looks like the most fun ever. I also have a daughter, and she fully agrees. Don't know how much use I'll get out the the voice commands and dashboard motion commands, but it could be very cool.

EDIT: All this anti-dance sentiment is odd. Dancing is like...totally fun.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    G Rol wrote: »

Dancing is like totally fun. In a club. With hot chicks wearing skimpy outfits where they might just get a bit too frantic and 'let it all hang out' :winky:

Dancing in your living room with your ten year old daughter while your wife sits on the couch laughing at how you can't imitate an animation on the TV? un-uh.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    I figure some of you are so here's the place to post impressions. My kid wants one and I'm trying to convince her that we can only get one if she agrees to sell the Wii since we'll need the power outlet it takes up (kids are so dumb). This also doubles as an effective yet sneaky way of getting rid of the Wii and restoring my sanity when the kids all decide to play the stupid thing and wing the remotes all over as I scream at them to "USE THE STRAP DAMN IT!!!".

I think you should wait for reviews, regardless. Give it a good month or two like any brand new hardware, see if there are any huge first run issues.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dyvion wrote: »
    G Rol wrote: »

Dancing is like totally fun. In a club. With hot chicks wearing skimpy outfits where they might just get a bit too frantic and 'let it all hang out' :winky:

Dancing in your living room with your ten year old daughter while your wife sits on the couch laughing at how you can't imitate an animation on the TV? un-uh.

Is it wrong that the later option sounds more appealing to me?

Anyway, I'm skeptical about Kinect but imlooking forward to seeing some real world opinions when it's out in the open.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Maybe further down the line after I see an established software lineup and a price drop. I've been burned by being an early adopter before so I'm all about the "wait and see" approach this time.

Last time I bought some fancy-schmancy peripheral right off the bat, it was this.
    VIRTUAL_BOY_sistem.png

Morvidus on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What's the peripheral there, did it not come with the stand or something?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I rarely take the 'wait and see' approach - if I think a concept has merit I'm happy to take the risk. I consider it voting with my wallet and cultivating the kind of development I want to see. However in this case while I'm intrigued by the technology the launch line up doesn't speak to me. When is Child of Eden out? I might pick one up then and upgrade to a slim while I'm at it if finances permit.

I'm also more wary about 'party games' these days. My housemates were crazy about wii sports, for a month. They were crazy about rock band for a little longer. Now both are gathering dust. If it wasn't for the cost I'd consider that to be a good amount of return on my investment. I only really played Chromehounds solidly for a month before the collective interest waned and I still refer to that as The Golden Month Of Chromehounds. I think my girlfriend and the other girls in the house would love Dance Central and we'd get some good use out of it, but I want to know that when they're done with that I'll still be getting something out of the Kinect.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I was thinking, doesn't just about every house have a setup with a couch, TV, and coffee table between the two for remotes, game controllers, and magazines? Did MS not take this into account, or do they honestly just expect everybody to move their coffee tables any time they want to play a Kinect game?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My girlfriend's aunt has a living room setup that's perfect for it - about twenty feet across, massive TV, nothing in the middle of the room. All neutral colours, as well.

I guess it's designed for suburban show homes which can afford to waste tons of space.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We don't have a coffee table for our sectional, it's just a huge ottoman with a tray on it that can be used for drinks, etc. So that can slide out of the way and we're good. Basically our house is like the one described by Rhesus.

Allforce on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll highly consider it if good/non-casual games use it for things like head tracking in racing or flight games, leaning and such in FPS games, voice commands, etc. If I bought one I would certainly buy dance central because that would be a massive hit at parties where there's one or both of: Girls at the party, alcohol at the party.

Ladies love the terrible club/dance music that I can expect Dance Central to be populated with. Also, Harmonix has some sort of magical wireless crack-cocaine delivery system that makes even the worst music fun and interesting to play along with in their games.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited November 2010
    If it can capture leaning from side to side then Super Meat Boy should be adapted to use it, so everytime I start moving along WITH the controller or leaning in to a jump it can pipe up "STOP DOING THAT" so my wife wouldn't have to.

Mr_Grinch on
  • AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll highly consider it if good/non-casual games use it for things like head tracking in racing or flight games, leaning and such in FPS games, voice commands, etc.

I'd love to see Kinect implementation in otherwise 'normal' games but developers can't count on everyone having the hardware and as such if we see such a feature at all it will at least have to have a controller analogue.

I think that console add-on's always have a very hard time. I'd wager that Xbox Live is a much more vocal place versus PSN because the microphone is packaged in with every 360 sold whereas it has to be bought seperately with the PS3. If the Kinect was built in with a new generation of consoles I can only imagine what kind of cool little extra touches we would see in games primarily controlled with the joypad. Then again I haven't had any real experience with the PS3, what are peoples views on the six-axis motion control - cool extra or pointless gimmick?

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
    edited November 2010
    Pointless gimmick, occasionally used well.

The Motorstorm motion control option they put in (to compete with the Wii on launch) was hilariously bad. Also "Lair".

Mr_Grinch on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Considering it. These sort of things tend to get a wider number of games down the line. But...I could be mistaken.

As for the Six-axis, pointless gimmick, frequently implemented very poorly (or not at all, thankfully). It does give us the option to watch Ayane's boobs or old Snake's butt shake, on the bright side.

Synthesis on