As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony Gamers Day (LittleBigPlanet! Ratchet! God of War! Uncharted! Heavenly Sword!)

• Dinosaur_NeilDinosaur_Neil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    krl wrote: »
    Awesome stuff, and excellent job on the OP.

Heavenly Sword looks absolutely amazing.

Thanks, it took me forever to get all the links. :lol:

As for Heavenly Sword:
    "There's no multiplayer mode in Heavenly Sword as our focus was always to create an intense personal experience; it would have been too damn complex to deal with that as well," Antoniades told Eurogamer. "We did, however, develop the combat system using multiplayer test levels, as it's a great way of soak testing and balancing it."

"So who knows? Maybe we will decide to go down that route sometime soon. And when we do, it won't just be slapped-on to please marketing tick-boxes. You can be assured that we have our sights on multiplayer."

Link

So multiplayer may pop up as downloadable content at some point.

Btw, supposedly Uncharted had less than half of the animations in the demo build.
    i thought it was interesting that they said the demo is already too big to fit on a dvd :P

Dinosaur_Neil on
    edited May 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Most of those games actually interest me. I keep saying I want a PS3 for the blu-ray but, damn, with good games I might actually break down and buy one. Heavenly Sword and SOCOM don't do anything for me but a big :^: to the rest.
    I love how Sony has no qualms about a top tier game (SOCOM) being a PSN title and giving the retail a bonus, as opposed to MS who's shoving Shadowrun at us with a 60$ price point.

wha?

I think he's comparing Shadowrun and Warkhawk/Socom, titles which are all multiplayer only, and which Sony seems to be releasing on the PSN network at a discounted price.

Ah, okay. Shadowrun should be cheaper than $60, being online only. As much as I'd love to see full games being available for download on the 360 the fact that 99% of users only have a 20gb HDD for the 360 probably means it wont happen. :(
    if they even have a hard drive at all, with not all 360's having one, that REALLY limits developers

Dinosaur_Neil on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Holy poop. God of War: Chains of Olympus vids: Huge boss battle, and also a second vid of fighting regular dudes. On the minus side it looks way too similar to GoW II, but on the positive side it's a PSP game looking similar to a high-end PS2 game. Not as smooth, but still.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Despite the 'Core' package being available, I really doubt even 20 percent of 360s are without a hard drive in consumer's homes, even if they were purchased as the Core deal. Microsoft pretty much just had a built-in crutch by making it possible to get them w/out hds.

Anyway, GoW on the PSP looks really impressive, even if the OP screenshot is grossly larger in resolution than the PSP is capable of.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Holy poop. God of War: Chains of Olympus vids: Huge boss battle, and also a second vid of fighting regular dudes. On the minus side it looks way too similar to GoW II, but on the positive side it's a PSP game looking similar to a high-end PS2 game. Not as smooth, but still.

I don't know if I'll be able to play GoW on a PSP. The system doesn't exactly lend itself, for me at least, to anything fast paced. I can do Tekken, but punching in combos DR seems a bit more deliberate than before, especially with the focus on juggling. I don't know, we'll see, but it's the same reason for me that I can't do fast stuff on the DS: too cumbersome.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Despite the 'Core' package being available, I really doubt even 20 percent of 360s are without a hard drive in consumer's homes, even if they were purchased as the Core deal. Microsoft pretty much just had a built-in crutch by making it possible to get them w/out hds.

Anyway, GoW on the PSP looks really impressive, even if the OP screenshot is grossly larger in resolution than the PSP is capable of.

Understandable - but 20% is 2 million customers.

I'm thrilled to see all of the Shinyâ„¢ from today. This is what Sony marketing should be all of the time: Shut the fuck up and show the games. A little more of this, a little slicey dicey on the pricey and the world will be a much better place.

I'm not bothered too much about the price myself, but I'd love to see it come down so I can play LBP with y'all :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Threepio wrote: »

I'm thrilled to see all of the Shinyâ„¢ from today. This is what Sony marketing should be all of the time: Shut the fuck up and show the games. A little more of this, a little slicey dicey on the pricey and the world will be a much better place.

I'm not bothered too much about the price myself, but I'd love to see it come down so I can play LBP with y'all :)

For a second there I thought I had missed the announcement of a new MDK or EWJ. You tease :P

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Good to see news on some of those games. Personally, I'm psyched about both R&C and Folklore, though I'm sure R&C is what's going to force me over the proverbial edge in terms of buying a PS3 (thankfully I have someone to split the cost with).

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the guy talking them through the game was the same guy that started the whole "Hit his weak point for Massive Damage!" thing, because he sounded like a fucking idiot.

Kaz Hirai gave the interview? Wow, I thought he was too busy running Sony's games division.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Kaz was in fact the person who said "hit his weak point for massive damage." :P )

Kaz came up with the "Riiidge Racerrr" thing but there's no way he came up with the "massive damage" one. That was thought up by one of the producers of Genji II (another Game Republic game), who was presenting the game.

urahonky: Sony are releasing LittleBigPlanet as a downloadable title at the end of 2007. Then in 2008 they're going to release the game on Blu-Ray along with all the best levels users have created.

Btw, Gametrailers have some new videos up:

Eye of Judgement Developer Walkthrough pt 2 (Gametrailers)
    Eye of Judgement Developer Walkthrough pt 3 (Gametrailers)

SOCOM Tactical Strike Gamers Day 07 Trailer (Gametrailers)

God of War:Chains of Olympus Seaside Gameplay (Gametrailers)
    God of War:Chains of Olympus Boss Battle (Gametrailers)

Warhawk On Foot Gameplay (Gametrailers)
    Warhawk Base Ambush Gameplay (Gametrailers)

Uncharted In-depth Interview (Gametrailers)

Lair Plan of Attack Cutscene (Gametrailers)
    Lair Ground and Sky Gameplay (Gametrailers)
    Lair Killer Swarm Gameplay (Gametrailers)

Home On Stage Demonstration (Gametrailers)

Parappa Gamers Day 07 Teaser (Gametrailers)

Heavenly Sword Gamers Day 07 Demo (Gametrailers)

Folklore Summon Strike Gameplay (Gametrailers)

Joust Trailer (Gametrailers)

I'll edit them into the OP in a minute.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    OH MAN all these awesome looking games coming out for the PSP before the end of the year!
    Few comments I have to make about GoW though. While it looks absolutely orgasmically awesome I'm sure we all noticed the framerate issues here and there as well as the load times jumping in mid battle, but I'm just hoping that will be ironed out before release. Though what I am really hoping gets worked on is some of those animations. They just don't look a fraction as brutal as the last two GoW games. When he steps on the guys head it's like eh.. not GRAAAAW *stomp!*

Also Unco-ordinated add Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice to the op or I will muuuurder you.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited May 2007
    Also Unco-ordinated add Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice to the op or I will muuuurder you.

I suppose since it's a first party title it deserves to be in there, so I've added it. I also added a new Lair video from Gametrailers.

Edit: Added to the OP a couple of new LittleBigPlanet videos, a new Warhawk video and a new Heavenly Sword video.

Unco-ordinated on
  • FatBabyFatBaby Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Arrrrrrrg why can't I download these videos faster! :(

FatBaby on
    steam_sig.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I guess I'm the only person who's excited about Folklore. It looks like a 3D version of Castlevania Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, with a little Phantom Dust thrown in too.

Renzo on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    So I guess I'm the only person who's excited about Folklore. It looks like a 3D version of Castlevania Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, with a little Phantom Dust thrown in too.

Nah. I commented about it, too. It looks really awesome. You tear the souls out of these monstrosities and then can summon them to use them in battle. That's pretty cool.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

Nah. I commented about it, too. It looks really awesome. You tear the souls out of these monstrosities and then can summon them to use them in battle. That's pretty cool.

Watching the new trailer; does that say Id? Like Freud's Id, Ego, and Superego? Interesting.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

Watching the new trailer; does that say Id? Like Freud's Id, Ego, and Superego? Interesting.

A game starring John Carmack, Cliffy B and John Romero???

ZING!

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just got a PS3 yesterday on an impulse purchase, and seeing how SOCOM 2 was probably my favorite and most played game of all time, I'm sooo happy I got one

Cornell002 on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cornell002 wrote: »
    I just got a PS3 yesterday on an impulse purchase, and seeing how SOCOM 2 was probably my favorite and most played game of all time, I'm sooo happy I got one

How the hell do you impulse buy a console?

Couscous on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Yep, I think that the PS3 is catching up albet slowly, but still it is catching up. I don't doubt that it will be neck to neck and the 360 might even lose to the PS3 in the future.

Anyway I wish they would tell us about the White Knight Story. I can't wait for this game. Is there any information on it?

Katchem_ash on
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

How the hell do you impulse buy a console?

The same way I bought a DS in Japan. It was there and I bought it. Its like impluse buying anything.

Katchem_ash on
    edited May 2007
    I didn't even get a game with it

Cornell002 on
    edited May 2007

For you PS3? Yeah its packaged without a game. I thought it would be evident to you that it wasn't comming with any game.

Katchem_ash on
    edited May 2007

For you PS3? Yeah its packaged without a game. I thought it would be evident to you that it wasn't comming with any game.

no, I mean I didn't buy a game with it

Cornell002 on
    edited May 2007
    Anyway I wish they would tell us about the White Knight Story. I can't wait for this game. Is there any information on it?

If there's one place it'll show up this year it'll be TGS, alongside Gran Turismo 5.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited May 2007
    Yep, I think that the PS3 is catching up albet slowly, but still it is catching up. I don't doubt that it will be neck to neck and the 360 might even lose to the PS3 in the future.

How is it in any way catching up?

I can't see why anybody would impulse buy anything over a 100 dollars.

Couscous on
    edited May 2007

Uh, Good games are comming out and it will sure to pick up sales? I don't know use your imagination, thats whats its there for.

If a person has money they will impluse buy anything. If your limit is 100 then thats your limit not the person's who actually spent X amount of money on impluse systems, games or even Anime Figures.

Katchem_ash on
    edited May 2007

Uh, Good games are comming out and it will sure to pick up sales? I don't know use your imagination, thats whats its there for.

You are using the current tense of the word catch. That would mean that it is currently catching up. If anything, it is falling behind.

A gaming console is a substantial purchase and buying it on a whim seems weird.

Couscous on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think by catching up he meant looks promising. Although I just read in this thread that LittleBigPlanet isn't out till the end of 2007, so I'll hang off till then :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited May 2007

You are using the current tense of the word catch. That would mean that it is currently catching up. If anything, it is falling behind.

A gaming console is a substantial purchase and buying it on a whim seems weird.

Meh, I bought a system (like I mentioned which was more than a 100 dollars) and I assume others have as well. Some people impluse buy over a 100 because they can you know, afford it.

Katchem_ash on
  • MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I know people who have impulse bought CARS!!! Not used either. I know most of the people here seem to be poor or something, but people pay large amounts of money for silly things all the time.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    I know people who have impulse bought CARS!!! Not used either. I know most of the people here seem to be poor or something, but people pay large amounts of money for silly things all the time.

Not buying something that's $600 on a whim isn't being poor. It's knowing how to show a little self restraint. I can afford to buy a PS3 several times over on a whim, but I don't because I don't think it's worth it. I could go out right now and put a down payment on a brand new car, but I don't because the car I have is just fine.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I, however, almost do not have the restraint and nearly bought a PS3 at lunch.

The only thing that stopped me is finding out LittleBigPlanet isn't out for a while.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited May 2007

oh no doubt, i think most people would have the hard drive, because you're totally gimped without it basically, but for developers from what i've heard, they basically can't make that bet that you will have a hard drive, so they have to limit their downloadable content, patch sizes, anything that you want to install from the game onto your system, etc...

Dinosaur_Neil on
    edited May 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Monkeydrye wrote: »

Not buying something that's $600 on a whim isn't being poor. It's knowing how to show a little self restraint. I can afford to buy a PS3 several times over on a whim, but I don't because I don't think it's worth it. I could go out right now and put a down payment on a brand new car, but I don't because the car I have is just fine.

well than it was worth it for him, what's your point?...

Dinosaur_Neil on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Threepio wrote: »

Yes but that 20%, a number we are pulling out of our asses ;), are the same group of people who don't have online. I mean...I can't imagine very many people have their 360 connected to the interwebs without a HDD, and I doubt anyone who pays for Xbox Live Gold is without a HDD.

So Tycho shat all over Lair. :( That was the only "launch announcement" game I was interested in. Maybe I'll be waiting even longer to get my blu-ray player.

Accualt on
  • Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I bought a PSP a few days ago on impulse, and after reading through this thread I'm pretty damn glad I did.

God of War looks dope as hell and I can't wait to get my hands on it. D&D Tactics should be out soon and that promises to be right entertaining as well.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • JayrodTremonkiJayrodTremonki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    People seem to be pretty split with Lair. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's the motion controlled flight that's made it a little polarizing. Kotaku had some impressions on it and basically spelled out that it's either got bad controls, or it's a game that you can't just jump in to in a demo.

JayrodTremonki on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Little Big Planet always looked good.
    Silent Hill Origins may yet sell me the PSP.
    The other PS3 titles- meh. I don't and have never cared about pretty graphics. Unless they can, say, show some actual next-gen gameplay advantages to Ratchet and Clank beyond the PS2 ones I'm unlikely to be bothered.

Xagarath on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Xagarath wrote:
    Little Big Planet always looked good.
    Silent Hill Origins may yet sell me the PSP.
    The other PS3 titles- meh. I don't and have never cared about pretty graphics. Unless they can, say, show some actual next-gen gameplay advantages to Ratchet and Clank beyond the PS2 ones I'm unlikely to be bothered.

Is this just a general pet peeve regarding the whole "next-gen" situation? Or a direct dig at Sony? Because no game shown so far on either system has done anything gameplay-wise that wasn't possible on the PS2/XBox. This gen is all about the pretties.

Dirty on
    edited May 2007
    So Tycho shat all over Lair. :( That was the only "launch announcement" game I was interested in. Maybe I'll be waiting even longer to get my blu-ray player.

Did he actually play it or just watch Gametrailers videos? I ask because Gametrailers have made a lot of games look like crap simply because they seem to be pretty crap at playing them. Take Gears of War as an example, their gameplay footage last year was terrible compared to the stuff on the 1UP Show. To use another example, watch a couple of the Warhawk videos, the "Base Ambush" consists of them jumping in a jeep, driving into the middle of the opponents base and getting the crap shot out of them.

I still have some hope Lair will come out well, though the controls seem kind of wonky and the mission structure seems pretty limiting. Regardless, I loved Rogue Leader and I'll keep my Lair hopes alive.

Unco-ordinated on