As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Trading Cards 2011 [Checklist Available!]

• RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not a fan of the MTG idea as well. Just my two cents. :/

Rdr on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm, it sounds like a lot of people aren't into the MTG theme eh? Well, if there's a strong sentiment for/against I could definitely see where it'd be better to have something that more of us could agree on. We definitely will never get 100% "I love this theme" I imagine, but 80% or higher would be good.

In that spirit, I'm okay with nixing the MtG theme for the cards personally if it'll help us get to that higher approval rating... though I personally would really love to have Magic cards of everyone. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i think the MtG idea might have worked from the beginning, but since so many people are using last year's cards, i think it would make more sense for this year's to be very similar with only some subtle changes, like color, to distinguish them as being a second series.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • valdemirovaldemiro Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would love to participate this year. I had a blast at PAX East last year. The MTG idea sounds fun, we also could always turn it into a weird, "We Didn't Playtest This at All!" parody as well.

valdemiro on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd love the MtG-themed idea, but I'm equally happy with the other ones. Anything with a suitably wide range of opportunities to be silly is more than acceptable for me!

Also +1 to having room on there for email/twitter/transdimensional portal addresses.

MelesMeles on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like the MtG theme, maybe it'd be fun to change the card theme each year into something from a different game?

I don't think it's an issue with folks having last years cards, as those still match that set. It just makes each series kinda cool by itself.

What about a Video Game theme. Could make the back look like some retro catridge format, but leave a label space for the person's name & avatar.

macrogeek on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    macrogeek wrote: »
    I like the MtG theme, maybe it'd be fun to change the card theme each year into something from a different game?

I don't think it's an issue with folks having last years cards, as those still match that set. It just makes each series kinda cool by itself.

What about a Video Game theme. Could make the back look like some retro catridge format, but leave a label space for the person's name & avatar.
    I'm not a huge fan of the game card idea

BUT

If we make Munchkin cards I want to be a Level 8 Odoriferous Malcontent (assuming we can coerce Kovalic into illustrating us).

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited November 2010
    I think last year we shot down having an actual playable element. Too hard to reach a consensus.
    If we do a theme I think it should just be a style template for this year. As in similar to last year in layout but with a new unified style. If we can agree on a theme it might be fun to parody another genre with our cards and pictures on the cards.

macrogeek on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe we're over-thinking this whole thing and we should just do a simple change, change the card color from red to say blue?

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    Blue is the color typically associated with PAX Prime.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited November 2010
    Yeah, Moe is right Blue is Prime.

We could get the folks w/ the best design skills to start with last years template and polish it up to v2.0.

macrogeek on
    edited November 2010
    Blue was just a suggestion, it could be any color really...good to know why I had blue on the mind though :)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Tweezle120Tweezle120 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll try spiffing it up a bit, Don't forget that even if you don't like the template its SUPER easy to customize. A landscaped back, totally different "stats" custom text, badges. I love doing this stuff! I put my Crackberry Bar code on mine, (but now I have a droid >_<)

I'll tweak for the next couple of days and get back to you. One thing I'll probably do this year is make a card for someone/thing cool instead of myself, like do a plants Vs zombies one or something because I love that game so much! maybe a Dr. Who one...

[EDIT] What are the best "fake" card games out there? or maybe real ones? wouldn't it be neat to have *just* enough text worked in to have our cards work in a triple triad game? flux? tetra master?

Tweezle120 on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was toying around with making a PAX Pit game, because Pit is the f*ckin' bomb. But that wouldn't work with trading cards so much. Maybe I'll make up a version by myself as a side game project. Now what are the big annual commodities for PAX...

feitocomfruta on
    edited November 2010
    Tweezle120 wrote: »
    I'll try spiffing it up a bit, Don't forget that even if you don't like the template its SUPER easy to customize. A landscaped back, totally different "stats" custom text, badges. I love doing this stuff! I put my Crackberry Bar code on mine, (but now I have a droid >_<)

I'll tweak for the next couple of days and get back to you. One thing I'll probably do this year is make a card for someone/thing cool instead of myself, like do a plants Vs zombies one or something because I love that game so much! maybe a Dr. Who one...

[EDIT] What are the best "fake" card games out there? or maybe real ones? wouldn't it be neat to have *just* enough text worked in to have our cards work in a triple triad game? flux? tetra master?

it would really take very little to be able to throw them into a flux game, just tack on a rule or goal, ideally relating to collecting other pax cards. that way you could even use series 1 cards just as object cards. it's simple, I like it.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The biggest reason trading cards are difficult to throw into a game is that we use the front and back of the card. Also many people wouldn't want to play with (bend) cards they collected.

A playable game is still possible for PAX East 2010, but most effort is going to be going into the design soon, making it difficult to switch gears into a playable format.

PeasantDave on
  • Tweezle120Tweezle120 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i'll just throw 4 triple triad numbers in the corner of mine on both sides I think... so here's a question... last year we cribbed the marvel trading card style, shall we crib something different this time? there aren't too many styles suited to showcasing a personality, (one side art, one side data, not a "blank" side for random-draw type games) so maybe something original? just spiffing up last years?

Maybe we COULD do a PAX game? Everyone could put an activity/person/photo opportunity/place on their cards and then we'll photograph ourselves "completing/getting others to complete" them and post them in the forums for funz?

Tweezle120 on
    edited November 2010

Maybe we COULD do a PAX game? Everyone could put an activity/person/photo opportunity/place on their cards and then we'll photograph ourselves "completing/getting others to complete" them and post them in the forums for funz?

I believe there was talk of a seperate scavenger hunt activity that was basically this.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited November 2010

Ya I am organizing a scavenger hunt with punzie already and I don't know if there's enough interest for two scavenger hunts. Speaking of which, I need to update my thread.

Rdr on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I still submit my design at the bottom of page 1 for your perusal
    Goose! wrote: »
    I had an idea for a slight redesign for the front of the card and did a quick and dirty mockup:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8017/davefront2011.png

Linked for huge

A few notes:
    The border white space will not nearly be as big when you get the final card in your hand (there's a template in the psd that indicates where the cut occurs, etc.)
    The font for the name is just a placeholder to get the idea out there
    I haven't worked on a back yet, was thinking of something horizontal (like a baseball card)

Let me know what you think

Goose! on
    edited November 2010
    I like that design or some variation thereof.

Another idea might be something that like a gamercard in PAX East colors on the back

reference image
    gamercard_google_page.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited November 2010
    Ooh, I like it Goose! Though instead of an oval, could we possibly do something more like a top and bottom border approach?

I say this for purely selfish reasons: I don't think the Cookie Brigade logo will fit well in the oval template without leaving a lot of whitespace. This may not be a sufficient reason to change the border design, but I figured I'd bring it up just in case =)

Ooh, or would it behoove us to have two border designs: one for "events" and "groups" that would need more room for a logo, and this oval one for people (who would obviously fit much better into the oval border than logos do)?

VThornheart on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    People are planning to have cards representing a group? I thought that everyone had a personal card with their group affiliations listed?

Heleor on
    edited November 2010
    Well, last year I don't know if other groups did this, but the Cookie Brigade had cards printed: it was a nice, cheap way to get the word out about what the cookie brigade was and have something other than cookies to hand out.

I can't recall if any other groups or activities had cards made though. They worked out pretty well for the Brigade: when people asked us what the heck we were about, I could give them a card and it had our whole history and goals summarized on the back. =)

VThornheart on
    edited November 2010
    I still submit my design at the bottom of page 1 for your perusal
    I had an idea for a slight redesign for the front of the card and did a quick and dirty mockup:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8017/davefront2011.png

Linked for huge

A few notes:
    The border white space will not nearly be as big when you get the final card in your hand (there's a template in the psd that indicates where the cut occurs, etc.)
    The font for the name is just a placeholder to get the idea out there
    I haven't worked on a back yet, was thinking of something horizontal (like a baseball card)

Let me know what you think

Way...way to much border, imo.

I stopped worrying about trading cards and suggestions after this on Twitter:

@ridermiller @MoeFwacky I was expecting much more chaos, I will probably let people talk until I make the template ... based on M:TG :)
    http://twitter.com/DaveSchrader/status/29484288311

In reply to my mention to him saying, "@MoeFwacky @DaveSchrader I agree on the trading card thread. Stuff be gettin crazy"

That was back on Nov 2nd. Just sounds like Dave has things locked down already but is still letting us discuss. Seems futile to me. :/

Rdr on
    edited November 2010
    I think I heard from another thread that Dave's been kept super busy by something IRL... I'm not sure what, but that's probably why we haven't heard from him yet. I'm not worried... well, as long as whatever it is that's keeping him isn't something painful and/or sad. If you're out there Dave, I hope things are going okay!

VThornheart on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cookie Brigade card can fit the design, I will make it so.

It can work.

Goose! on
    edited November 2010
    It can fit in the oval one without looking awkward? Well, if you can make it look good, we'd be in your debt: I have no skills of an artist, so I was just going to hack together ours. If you can do it, that'd be awesome!

VThornheart on
    edited November 2010
    I've been watching, I just haven't had time to play with the template. I think it's good that we have creative juices flowing. It's the best way to come up with something new and exciting.

As VT said, I've just been super busy IRL.

PeasantDave on
    edited November 2010
    Aye, understandably so!

We've got plenty of time I think, no worries. =)

VThornheart on
  • ikelewisikelewis Awesome Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am on board and excited about this once again! I can't wait to trade cards with you guys again!

ikelewis on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I missed out on this last year and never got round to doing the buttons at PAX Prime. I have now decided to do both in 2011 and will come up with a suitable design for a trading card on this thread. It appears a great deal more achievable given my limited design skills to make a reasonable looking card :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I do not think that a game is out of the question or too difficult if you were to set it up like Pokemon cards (which I admit a bias towards)

With Pokemon cards you could create a few different templates (Trainers/Supporters have a different layout than Pokemon) which would bring more vareity and help people to identify the cards that they are really looking for.

So, in this rambling of an idea, things like the Cookie Brigade would be a trainer which would allow some arbitrary ability to the player

If we capped this on a certain date and had a definate number of participants a game could be created; but I think that for now the abilities would be just for looks....

(sorry for typos....tired typing)

...also PAX East has the PokeCrawl....

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
    edited December 2010
    To be honest, this card game topic has been done to death in this thread. This thread is for trading cards. If you, or somebody else wants to make a PAX Community TCG, that's perfectly fine, but please start a new thread for that topic. Thank you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited December 2010
    Happy holidays and I apologize for letting this project languish. It has been a very busy season for me. Although we are not late, we are certainly farther behind than I would like to be. I see there being a few approaches to take, so I figured I would throw them out here and see how everyone else feels. Please let me know which approach you prefer (and what you are hoping to do yourself), if there is something I missed, and what you would be willing to contribute.

Approach 1 - We create an entirely new template, everyone makes new cards.
    Approach 2 - Series 2011 is an extension of 2010. Old people use last years cards, new people create new cards (and pick up from last years numbers).
    Approach 3 - Series 2011 uses the same template, but everyone refreshes their cards (pictures/information). This would mean restarting the numbering sequence, as it is a new series. I would update the template with new icons.

PeasantDave on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Approach 3.

Approach 1 is possible, but I'm not sure we have enough time to do it.

Heleor on
    edited December 2010
    I like approach 2 but I think approach 3 could work as well

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
    edited December 2010
    Kinda digging Approach 2. I came across my stash of cards from last year and probably have a good 50-75.

With PAX about 9 weeks away we should try to build momentum and get more people ordering this year. Everything is at a standstill right now.

Edit: Approach 3 could work if a new template or whatnot is whipped out in like the next week. Just my thoughts.

Rdr on
  • Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am down for approach 3, but the updated cards need to be done quickly & ordered very soon. Time is running out. I still have lots of cards left for approach 2.

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
    edited December 2010
    I can whip out new templates like nobody's business, fyi.

I will defer to the majority vote getter.

Goose! on