As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2010 Midterms AKA The Crying Game and lame ducks

TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Since no one else has started a new thread yet...

So the polls have closed, the election is over and in most places the dust has settled.

Highlights: O'Donnell loses big in Delaware but demands her opponent enact her policies, Reid hangs on in Nevada, pot smokers and eBay CEOs go down in California, and the new senator from Alaska is "Write-In".

Tragedies include the loss of the only senator smart enough to read the Patriot Act, Rand Paul going to the Senate, and that I will continue to have to drive outside the county to buy beer.

So as we prepare the way for our new GOP overlords, what will the House Dems be able to accomplish before they start handing out resumes to lobby firms and will the elected Tea Partiers fall in line with the mainstream GOP or will the GOP leadership have to roll for phobias on the insanity table?

Tomanta on

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    morning what did i....

wow.

alaska really did do what I thought they were going to do, didn't they?

WA and CO still too close to call....

So everything is pretty much still where it was when i went to bed last night. Excellent. I'm glad my sleeping didn't effect anything.

lonelyahava on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's a difference between the tea party and mainstream GOP?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thread title should reflect the our new reality. Like,

"111th Congress, let's get our Hearing ears on"

"Politics '10-'12: the end times are upon us".

Anyway, Murkoski is winning? That's cool.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    There's a difference between the tea party and mainstream GOP?

According to the media there is

If you actually nail down their members and ask them their beliefs (and belief is the correct word since there's no factual evidence to back them up) they're pretty similar

override367 on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    So as we prepare the way for our new GOP overlords, what will the House Dems be able to accomplish before they start handing out resumes to lobby firms?
    Probably not much. The GOP in the Senate won't let anything controversial pass. And Dems who still have a job probably don't want to burn their remaining political capital at this point.

It'll likely be a quiet few months.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Votes are still being tallied in Colorado's senate race. We only have 3 county's left

Vote totals now:
    bennet 792,216 47.7%
    buck 777,120 46.8%

counties left:
    Arapahoe - 11% reporting (I dunno wth is going on there) with bennet 49.2% 78.9k - buck 45.8% 73.5k
    Boulder - 85% reporting with bennet 67.1% 80.2k - buck 28.5% 34.1k
    San Miguel - 83% reporting with bennet 68.5% 2.1k - 25.3% .8k

So I'm hoping like hell bennet wins and we don't have a recount. This would be so much easier if 2.2% of the state didn't vote for the green party.

I worked my ass off yesterday so here's to hoping that I didn't just waste the last 2 months.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, the lame duck session will finally live up to its name. I expect zero action prior to January.

Florida was an almost total beating for the Dems, even though my local races turned out mostly the way I wanted them to. On the upside, the amendments turned out the way I wanted. Of note are amendments 5 and 6, which are meant to combat gerrymandering. This should make redistricting highly entertaining, as the GOP dominated legislature is sure to try to circumvent the new amendments to the constitution.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe Murkowski's winning, maybe 16% of Alaskans wrote in Chewbacca. We don't know yet. :)

Deebaser on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    morning what did i....

wow.

alaska really did do what I thought they were going to do, didn't they?

WA and CO still too close to call....

So everything is pretty much still where it was when i went to bed last night. Excellent. I'm glad my sleeping didn't effect anything.

Your sleeping changed one thing.

Harris is now up in CA.

Which means the gay marriage prop 8 court decision won't be appealed.

(note: she's only up by a few 10s of thousands of votes, so you better believe there'll be a recount, but still).

Jragghen on
    edited November 2010
    Also, Reid's win is pretty huge, considering he was one of the top 5 GOP targets.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would once again like to congratulate the state of Washington for voting to decrease government revenue and increase government expenditure in every single way possible.

Well done.

Also, it will take something pretty astounding for Dino Rossi to pull out the win now. The half-million votes left to count in King County outnumber the untallied in the rest of the state almost 5 to 1, and if King County goes red then the end times are surely upon us.

Taramoor on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    So I guess after the next two years of getting nothing accomplished the only question will be: who gets accused of being obstructionist jackasses in '12?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited November 2010
    Also, this is the reason this happened:

votingage.jpg

I hate the youth vote with the passion of 1000 suns.

Jragghen on
    edited November 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So I guess after the next two years of getting nothing accomplished the only question will be: who gets accused of being obstructionist jackasses in '12?

Boehner already has quotes on record that he wants to shut the government down.

I don't think it'll be too hard to point that out.

Jragghen on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My Predictions:

There will be a big push from progressives for filibuster reform. Whether or not it goes through depends on the courage of democrats to do anything in the Senate. If it does, I would be pleasantly surprised.

There will be hearings on anything and everything in the House.

There will be an interesting leadership fight between the tea partiers and rank-and-file Republicans in the House.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited November 2010
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I would once again like to congratulate the state of Washington for voting to decrease government revenue and increase government expenditure in every single way possible.

Well done.

Also, it will take something pretty astounding for Dino Rossi to pull out the win now. The half-million votes left to count in King County outnumber the untallied in the rest of the state almost 5 to 1, and if King County goes red then the end times are surely upon us.

While we are at it could someone explain whats going on in california with this:
    YES 25 Only simple majority needed to pass state budget
    NO 26 Increase margin required to pass some taxes

So did the state actually vote in a good way to make it easier to pass the budget and then also fuck themselves some more by making it even HARDER to pass more taxes?

CommunistCow on
    edited November 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    My Predictions:

There will be a big push from progressives for filibuster reform. Whether or not it goes through depends on the courage of democrats to do anything in the Senate. If it does, I would be pleasantly surprised.

There will be an interesting leadership fight between the tea partiers and rank-and-file Republicans in the House.

The economy starts getting worse again because absolutely nothing will get done.

Democrats will get the blame for THAT, even though they had nothing to do with it.

Jragghen on
    edited November 2010
    I would once again like to congratulate the state of Washington for voting to decrease government revenue and increase government expenditure in every single way possible..

I just want to smack everyone who votes this way with the stupid stick.

DoctorArch on
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Obama

DJ Cam Cam on
    edited November 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Also, this is the reason this happened:

votingage.jpgI hate the youth vote with the passion of 1000 suns.

Don't just hate on the youth vote. Hate on the campaigns who didn't spend much time going after the youth vote this cycle. Whole self fulfilling prophecy thing I was babbling about in the last thread.

CommunistCow on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would once again like to congratulate the state of [strike]Washington[/strike] California for voting to decrease government revenue and increase government expenditure in every single way possible.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would once again like to congratulate the state of Washington for voting to decrease government revenue and increase government expenditure in every single way possible..

I think God beat you to it.

Taramoor on
    edited November 2010

Well done.

While we are at it could someone explain whats going on in california with this:

So did the state actually vote in a good way to make it easier to pass the budget and then also fuck themselves some more by making it even HARDER to pass more taxes?

Yes.

My facebook status:
    Still early (11% in), but it's looking like California has voted down every prop which would have generated revenue (19, 21, 24), passed two props which will make it harder to generate revenue (22, 26), and passed a prop which will make it easier to pass a budget (25)....which is meaningless without the aforementioned revenue.

gg, California. gg.

Jragghen on
    edited November 2010
    My Predictions:

Teabaggers will lose. GOP pandering to them is pretty unimportant now that the elections are over.

wwtMask on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Well, the lame duck session will finally live up to its name. I expect zero action prior to January.

Florida was an almost total beating for the Dems, even though my local races turned out mostly the way I wanted them to. On the upside, the amendments turned out the way I wanted. Of note are amendments 5 and 6, which are meant to combat gerrymandering. This should make redistricting highly entertaining, as the GOP dominated legislature is sure to try to circumvent the new amendments to the constitution.

And with Pam Bondi and Rick Scott running things, there's no way to stop them!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Pretty much.

Apparently there are a lot of voters who don't think about these issues much beyond "balanced budget good! taxes bad!"

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Man, it's hilarious when states do that.

dojango on
    edited November 2010

Here we go

Liberal media again!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Forthcoming GOP Strategy:

1. Obfuscate Obama's and Dems' initiatives while offering none of their own
    2. Watch the economy continue to tank
    3. Win the Presidency in 2012 thanks to a still-shitty economy
    4. ???
    5. Profit*

*In some alternate reality, Profit = Work to better the country and its populace.

In this reality, Profit = strip-mining the place for wealthy businesses and individuals. Cuz honestly, I don't know what the hell else they'll attempt. I can't see any President being super-thrilled to inherit an economy in 2012 that has been at least partially sabotaged.

Can someone please tell the GOP that scorched-earth campaigns are generally done in retreat, not during advance?

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    So as we prepare the way for our new GOP overlords, what will the House Dems be able to accomplish before they start handing out resumes to lobby firms?
    Probably not much. The GOP in the Senate won't let anything controversial pass. And Dems who still have a job probably don't want to burn their remaining political capital at this point.

It'll likely be a quiet few months.

As I said in the previous thread, nothing ever happens in lame-duck sessions, because someone almost always gains seats, and they'll be in a better position if they stall for those few weeks.

Also, the Denver Post called it for Bennet.

Captain Carrot on
    edited November 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Here we go

Liberal media again!

Point.

So Obama then.

Jragghen on
    edited November 2010

I think God beat you to it.

But God didn't take away their right to [strike]vote[/strike] fuck over everyone else with their stupid.

I'm with Than, blame the Boomers.

DoctorArch on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm still surprised that Hill lost in IN-09 as badly as he did. Now for weeks/months of listening to the how this election was a referendum but '08 still wasn't.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    their loss in some of the huge senate races shows that money cannot make tea partiers appealing to the mainstream

nexuscrawler on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, are they serious about repealing the healthcare stuff, all the GOP talking heads on the news this morning were talking about that. Or is that just dick waving?

VishNub on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    VishNub wrote: »
    So, are they serious about repealing the healthcare stuff, all the GOP talking heads on the news this morning were talking about that. Or is that just dick waving?

how could they possibly do it?

nexuscrawler on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have failed. Sam Brownback won. :(

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Their paymasters in the HMO industry sure didn't pour all this money into the race only to see an orange dick being waved around DC.

dojango on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Dems need to be the first one to come up with nicknames for GOP bills and get the media on board. Tax cuts for the wealthy? The "Boehner Deficit Expansion Bill". Tax cuts for companies that ship jobs overseas? the "Cantor Employment Reduction Bill".

Tomanta on
    edited November 2010

how could they possibly do it?

They can't. The House will pass the repeal bill, but the Senate never will, nor would Obama ever sign it if the Senate somehow did.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
This discussion has been closed.