As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Graphic Violence
You guys are lazy, so I made the new MOVIE/VIDEOGAME/TV/CARTOON thread.

My roommates kept telling me how shitty DCU Online would be and how SOE is awful at games. Then one of my roommates got into the Beta yesterday, and he won't shut up about how awesome it is.

HadjiQuest on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thank you Hadji for having initiative. You are streets ahead.

And Walking Dead is up on iTunes to buy the season pass/episodes.

TexiKen on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think Manji would have posted his thread earlier if, like you, he just wrote three sentences.

TeaSpoon on
    edited November 2010
    Compromise: Hadji copies Manji's OP and says thank you.

It could be an Amalgam

TexiKen on
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    my thread would have been up first if i hadn't spent all my time trying to work out how to embed a youtube video, something which turns out to be spectacularly easy :(

manji on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was going to do it but then didn't. I am streets behind, I guess.

Solar on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was too nervouse, I've done a couple MotW threads, but nothing this big. I don't think I'm ready.

One thing that should be pointed out on the first page of this thread so no one can say they were never warned, stay away from that CW show about Superman that's not Superman! That's my good deed for the day. In good news, the comic con Thor trailer is up to watch without the threat of being taken away from us. There's a link in the D&D : trailers thread. But I guess I might as well post it here as well. Thanks to Fartacus for the find.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited November 2010
    I am so happy that they went with the Kirby sci-fi aesthetics/origins of Asgard and the Asgardians in Thor. So very very happy.

Solar on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No worries on the title, either, not like the last one was spectacular, ( I can say that cause it was my sucky title! rofl) and I only brought myself to make the last one beause of my red hood excitement.

Dunno why , but making a new thread in GV is stressful, so just doing it no matter the content, = points!

On the Walking Dead front , I think first 6 will end
    As they crest the hill and see the prison, too good of a shot to not take advantage of it as a cliffhanger type finale, Don't click this next one unless you've read it
    plus most of the focus is gonna be on Carl if they have Carl shoot Shane

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My 8 year old kid and I watched The Walking Dead.

She wasn't as scared as I thought she would be.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's more of a gore thing than it is generally "holy shit what the fuck was that!". But zombie stories are never about the whole surprising shock, more about the inevitability that these things are going to kill you no matter how slow they are. I was very pleased by the Walking Dead premier also and seriously considering getting the iTunes pass since I don't get AMC.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i've watched a couple of eps of avengers cartoon, not amazing, but entertaining enough.

did anyone else notice klaw's henchmen were the cast of predator? to their eternal shame they were given a shoeing by dr pym...

manji on
    edited November 2010
    It's more of a gore thing than it is generally "holy shit what the fuck was that!". But zombie stories are never about the whole surprising shock, more about the inevitability that these things are going to kill you no matter how slow they are. I was very pleased by the Walking Dead premier also and seriously considering getting the iTunes pass since I don't get AMC.

For 16 bucks for the pass and 6.5 episodes, it's worth it.

TexiKen on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I never read walking dead, because it never interested me. But after watching the show and being bothered by the slow, labored pacing, I flipped through the first trade at Wal-Mart yesterday, and it was much better. Everything seemed to happen pretty quick.

So I guess the point I am making is that I think the series is way too slow, especially when the (probably only early from what my friends have said) trades move so fast.

HadjiQuest on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I never read walking dead, because it never interested me. But after watching the show and being bothered by the slow, labored pacing, I flipped through the first trade at Wal-Mart yesterday, and it was much better. Everything seemed to happen pretty quick.

So I guess the point I am making is that I think the series is way too slow, especially when the (probably only early from what my friends have said) trades move so fast.

I thought the show had a perfect pace... as far as the comic goes... be prepared for slow...

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kirkman pointed out in one of his recent Newsarama interviews that TWD moves at such a fast speed early on because a) it was a story he and Moore wanted to tell, and b) they weren't sure it was going to last long / be successful (or even viable).

Same thing happened with early Marvel comics - the first few years of Spider-Man / FF moved very fast (Spider-Man finishes high school, Sue goes thru a full pregnancy) - once Lee/Kirby/Ditko realized that the Marvel Universe was going to endure (after all, these guys had seen multiple iterations of comic companies come and go since the 1940s), they put the brakes on characters aging / things happening quickly.

This is one of the reasons why (TWD tv show spoilers)
    I don't expect Shane to be dead by the end of the first season / 6 episodes - why 'waste' that love triangle so soon if you don't have to?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2010
    They're going to run into problems with Carl, he's going to age a lot quicker than the timeline allows for (in 80 issues comic time it's only been roughly a year since the outbreak, although they admit to losing track of time).

TexiKen on
    edited November 2010
    I'm sure that's a problem Darabont/Hurd/Kirkman would glady like to have.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I saw RED tonight and was very pleasantly surprised! It certainly knocked The Expendables for six, the all-star cast put in some great performances and the script had a good mix of action and humour. I'm told that it doesn't bear much resemblance to the Ellis miniseries but I suspect he is satisfied with the end product.

Wildcat on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    manji wrote: »
    i've watched a couple of eps of avengers cartoon, not amazing, but entertaining enough.

did anyone else notice klaw's henchmen were the cast of predator? to their eternal shame they were given a shoeing by dr pym...

There is nothing shameful about getting punked by EMH Pym. Dude doesn't fuck around when he absolutely has to fight.

ALSO! Brave and the Bold is doing a Dick Batman/Damian Robin episode later this month and a Darkseid one next month!

Furu on
    edited November 2010
    Has Hawkeye showed up yet in the Avengers cartoon?

TexiKen on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Has Hawkeye showed up yet in the Avengers cartoon?

Yes, extensively.
    He was a SHIELD agent that was partnered with Black Widow, but he found out she's a HYDRA double agent stealing a sample of Hulk's blood. He was framed for the crime and locked up in the Vault until the breakout, where he saved Iron Man from a bunch of villains.

He's joining the team later in the season.

Furu on
    edited November 2010
    I really like that blend of regular marvel and ultimate marvel for his story. Thumbs up.

Especially if he can show up Iron Man using only simple arrows.

TexiKen on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just watched Breakout Pt. 1 & 2 and frankly, I'm impressed. Like Texi said, nice mix of Ult and Regular universe, dash of the movies added in. I like how they merged regular and ultimate Nick Fury in this incarnation. Plus, Ultrons!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cap's return episode is great, as well as the initial whuppin he lays rofl.

Even Wasp growing on me, ( still hate that hair tho).

Looked up an episode guide and the title of the final 2 parter of season 1 ( ep 12+ 13) are titled
    Gamma World

That has me stoked.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited November 2010
    I like Earth's Mightiest more and more with each episode. At this point I'd consider my self somewhat hooked. BUT it's missing something... something that justice league had... and that's coming from someone who dislikes DC. Maybe its the mature feel Justice League had. That show pushed the limits of a kid show.

As far as animation goes it reminds me allot of Spectacular Spider-Man, a good and bad thing. On one hand the animations are stiff and a bit off, but on the other hand the fights are creative very well choreographed.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

edited November 2010
    Spider-Man musical delayed again

Extra month delay, although the way that one actor/stuntman shattered both his arms while doing stunts, I'll be surprised if it isn't delayed further.

TexiKen on
    edited November 2010
    Spider-Man musical delayed again

Extra month delay, although the way that one actor shattered both his arms while doing stunts, I'll be surprised if it isn't delayed further.

Ow. That's gotta take you out of action for a while.

Solar on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Acting doesn't come from the arms, Solar.

It comes from the heart.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2010
    Plus you don't need arms to fight crime!

a_girl_with_640_04.jpg

Wishpig on

edited November 2010
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    I like Earth's Mightiest more and more with each episode. At this point I'd consider my self somewhat hooked. BUT it's missing something... something that justice league had... and that's coming from someone who dislikes DC. Maybe its the mature feel Justice League had. That show pushed the limits of a kid show.

As far as animation goes it reminds me allot of Spectacular Spider-Man, a good and bad thing. On one hand the animations are stiff and a bit off, but on the other hand the fights are creative very well choreographed.

Newest episode was great. Best so far, IMO.
    Cap'n really filled in the group. Wasp and Ant-Man actually kicked ass.
    The fighting was good and some of the jokes were pretty funny.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited November 2010
    Where can I watch Avengers online? It's not on TV over here or anything.

EDIT: Episode one is on youtube already. I love the internet.

Solar on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Disney XD website should have the last few episodes up

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited November 2010
    OK, I'm watching the first couple of episodes and they are pretty cool so far. But why is nick Fury such a jerk in every incarnation? Hank Pym says "who is that" and he's all "it's classified" and you just want Hank to smack him around the head and say "yeah, but I'm the superhero here and I can't very well stop him if I don't know what he does, moron." Then later on he says he has an idea and Fury is all "what the hell are you going to do," and again you want Hank to say "you know what Fury? Fuck you, it's your problem, deal with it."

I hate that so much. It makes Fury so unlikeable, it was exactly the same in the Secret Warriors book.

EDIT: Wow, that was a lot of property damage. Why is Graviton not a major Avengers villain in the books? He could be a great enemy, and it's not like the Avengers already have that many classic foes (Ultron, Kang, Immortus I guess, Dr Doom but he's more of an F4 thing, that's about it. Bendis tried to make the Hood a villain for then but it didn't really work). Also at the end Hank tells Fury where to stick his offer, good for him. I kind of like competent Hank in this.

Solar on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben

Don't like these news. For one, I can't see Sheen as Uncle Ben, and secondly it looks like they'll go with the retelling of the origin, which I was hoping they would gloss over.

Kyougu on
    edited November 2010
    Solar, in the comics Graviton is dead, died in Iron Man years ago (unless he came back?).

And the Illusive Man as Uncle Ben. "With great power comes great opportunity to preserve humanity's interests!"

"Don't turn your back on me [strike]Shepard[/strike] Peter!"

TexiKen on
    edited November 2010
    Solar, in the comics Graviton is dead, died in Iron Man years ago (unless he came back?).

And the Illusive Man as Uncle Ben. "With great power comes great opportunity to preserve humanity's interests!"

"Don't turn your back on me [strike]Shepard[/strike] Peter!"

Then Peter blows up the base, because fuck you TIM.

Anyway, they should totally bring him back, because Graviton seems like a cool villain. Like I said, the Avengers are pretty anemic when it comes to villaisn, compare then to the four, or the X-Men, or their counterparts in the Justice League (who mostly fight the villains of the guys in it but come on, Braniac/Luthor/Circe/Darkseid is a great team foe

Solar on
    edited November 2010
    I'm almost positive that Graviton wasn't used very often because he was created by Jim Shooter (and/or because he was essentially a Magneto knockoff). The only quality Graviton stories I can think of are his original appearance and his Nicieza Thunderbolts appearances.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I'm almost positive that Graviton wasn't used very often because he was created by Jim Shooter (and/or because he was essentially a Magneto knockoff). The only quality Graviton stories I can think of are his original appearance and his Nicieza Thunderbolts appearances.

He would be cool as a returning villain, I'm telling you.

Also Hank Pym is the best part of his show, he's a nice, friendly guy who will kick your ass but really wishes you could talk it out, and then will go back to studying a termite's DNA. If Hank picked up all the random tech he finds around the place, like Klaw's sonic blaster that would be the best, I'd love to see him running around with his sound gun and his helmet that talks to ants and his suit which lets him turn into a giant just being a random science adventurer.

Also Jan is great as his go-getter girlfriend. Seriously, the other characters in the show are OK but this is the best non-crazy Hank and Jan that there has ever been, great fun.

Solar on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I actually didn't like Graviton. He has a distinctive power set, but no personality or motivation beyond the generic super-villain megalomania. All he really did was try to prove that he was the strongest there is, a pursuit that naturally leads to miserable failure when you're engaging the Hulk.

Robos A Go Go on