As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERNET DATING] It's like video games, except not

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well I just signed up to Soul Geek. There are less than 30 Canadians on there, none of them from my region.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Well, I finally did it. Figured I might as well run it by you folks before messaging someone.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/TimmyHK

You currently have the same picture posted twice.

Maybe you could photoshop a few things into one of them and make it into a "find 6 differences between these two photos," that would certainly be unique.

Ah, thanks. Replaced one.

Is it uncommon to provide explanations for answers to match questions? The two profiles I've looked at had none. And one of them had about three hundred questions answered.

The explanations thing is actually quite new so a lot of people that have had their profiles for longer than a few months won't have many/any. Like me

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I must say that I'm getting excited about mila kunis and the talks we're having. It's the only person I like talking to on OKC. DAMN

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    I must say that I'm getting excited about mila kunis and the talks we're having. It's the only person I like talking to on OKC. DAMN

Isn't she married to Macaulay Culkin? You better watch out, I've seen The Good Son.

This thread has gone on a little long without a LearnedHand story.

In other news, last night I told the girl I met for sushi on Wed that I wasn't feeling any chemistry and didn't want to waste her time. She thanked me for the honesty. I told her she deserved as much and I woulda invited her to a party tonight if she wasn't on Duty(Navy girl). So instead she invited me to a get together at her place. New friend aquired!

Still looking for a girl to swoon over though. All the girls I'm interested in ATM are in loving relationships, woe is me. I'm also at the age now where I have check the left ring finger of women I hit on. It seems every girl I meet in the wild and talk to for a lengthy period of time turns out to be married.

Buddies on
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    CowShark wrote: »
    Can somebody give me more advice than "it sounds like you might not be working"?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Unsingable

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Edit: Messing about with the voting for other people on "My Best Face"--seriously, pictures of women brandishing weapons, hunting, or at the shootin' range weird me out much, much more often than they seem sexy. Am I getting these pictures because I'm in Texas? "Surely Texas dudes like women with weaponry!" says the bot

I like your profile, it's one of the best I've seen. Here's the problem: I'm not normal. Usually this isn't an issue when I'm giving advice because I'm fixing structural or editing problems, or adding interest to a boring profile. I don't know how to tell you "be less quirky, like a normal person," or if you would WANT to do that. The only advice I can give you is to maybe make it shorter, it's longer than average... and I'm not even sure that would make it better.

If you're looking to attract non-nerdy, more normal girls, take out all the charming geeky stuff. You live near Dallas, that hell-on-earth (no offense), so I don't know how well the nerdy thing will work for you there. Good luck!

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Buddies wrote: »
    LeCaustic wrote: »

Isn't she married to Macaulay Culkin? You better watch out, I've seen The Good Son.

This thread has gone on a little long without a LearnedHand story.

In other news, last night I told the girl I met for sushi on Wed that I wasn't feeling any chemistry and didn't want to waste her time. She thanked me for the honesty. I told her she deserved as much and I woulda invited her to a party tonight if she wasn't on Duty(Navy girl). So instead she invited me to a get together at her place. New friend aquired!

Still looking for a girl to swoon over though. All the girls I'm interested in ATM are in loving relationships, woe is me. I'm also at the age now where I have check the left ring finger of women I hit on. It seems every girl I meet in the wild and talk to for a lengthy period of time turns out to be married.

Oh, you dirty boy.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can somebody give me more advice than "it sounds like you might not be working"?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Unsingable

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Edit: Messing about with the voting for other people on "My Best Face"--seriously, pictures of women brandishing weapons, hunting, or at the shootin' range weird me out much, much more often than they seem sexy. Am I getting these pictures because I'm in Texas? "Surely Texas dudes like women with weaponry!" says the bot

I like your profile, it's one of the best I've seen. Here's the problem: I'm not normal. Usually this isn't an issue when I'm giving advice because I'm fixing structural or editing problems, or adding interest to a boring profile. I don't know how to tell you "be less quirky, like a normal person," or if you would WANT to do that. The only advice I can give you is to maybe make it shorter, it's longer than average... and I'm not even sure that would make it better.

If you're looking to attract non-nerdy, more normal girls, take out all the charming geeky stuff. You live near Dallas, that hell-on-earth (no offense), so I don't know how well the nerdy thing will work for you there. Good luck!

Well, ideally I attract someone kind of nerdy--who has a good idea of what she's in for. I haven't really gotten rolling with messages or anything yet. Just wanna get my ducks in a row before I hatch or count them.

CowShark on
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why the hell not...here's my OKC profile.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/lethologic

I'd really appreciate any feedback I can get, as my track record with the whole internet dating thing is pretty far from great.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Richy wrote: »

Well, I made your changes, thanks.

Now, how would I go about making it less generic and more catchy? People on the site may be normal, but even normal people need something to catch their attention. I don't really have many ideas on how to make a profile more unique and distinctive in a good way.

This is hard to do without me knowing you personally or Cyrano-ing more than I'm comfortable with. Still, it's an obvious question, and a common one, so I'm going to try to figure out how to answer it.

Think about your life. Was there anything you did recently that struck you as particularly awesome? Like: "I can't believe I'm cooking a historically accurate 16th century apple pie from scratch. I rule!" or "Man, it was awesome when I got lost on that trail and had to figure my own way back using landmarks and the setting sun." Or "I'm reading Italo Calvino's 'If On a Winter's Night a Traveler' while traveling by train to an exotic city... how literary and romantic." Then put a sentence about it in your profile. Be specific. Be colorful. Don't be TOO weird, but be unique enough. It doesn't have to be something you think someone else will find impressive. If you're excited about it, that will come through.

The best example I can think of is one that was linked from here some time ago.

"Lately, I let my cat, Deedee, outside so we can both smell strange wonderful things and get scared by loud noises together."

That says a lot: animal lover, outdoorsy, sense of humor, all in one line. But you don't have to be that brilliant, just think of things in your life that are awesome and talk about them, SPECIFICALLY.

(Also, I don't know if I just didn't catch this earlier or if you've added it recently... but NO EMOTICONS. I know it is tempting, but it makes you look immature and cheesy. And no "I'm looking to get to know you better." You haven't even met me! Things that sound nice when said one on one sound weird being projected out to the whole internet.)

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TomeWyrm wrote: »

I'd really appreciate any feedback I can get, as my track record with the whole internet dating thing is pretty far from great.

This profile make me think like--
    I get down to the sentence starting "So far the city is great..." before I learn anything about you.

What I'm doing with my life -
    Delete the parenthetical in the first sentence, second paragraph. Don't undermine yourself unless it's funny. Or at least don't piss on your own prospective future.

You should message me if -
    Get rid of the last sentence in the first paragraph. Don't implore anybody. You're too cool for that.

CowShark on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I got winked at as I was making my profile. Is that a common thing?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I got winked at as I was making my profile. Is that a common thing?

Yeah, as you update it, it shows up on the main page, giving your profile a lot more visibility.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Buddies wrote: »

At least they tell/show you... ugh. D:

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I get down to the sentence starting "So far the city is great..." before I learn anything about you.

Delete the parenthetical in the first sentence, second paragraph. Don't undermine yourself unless it's funny. Or at least don't piss on your own prospective future.

Get rid of the last sentence in the first paragraph. Don't implore anybody. You're too cool for that.

Thanks for the advice! I'll make these changes once I get home from work.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    Well I just signed up to Soul Geek. There are less than 30 Canadians on there, none of them from my region.

What is this? Tell me more.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A dating website for geeks, I'd imagine.

Ages on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, the pure geek dating sites are SoulGeek, Geek to Geek, and Otakubooty.

Most of them incorporate some kind of pay service aspect. I played around SoulGeek a bit but never maintained an active profile. Geek to geek was interesting when it was new and before it went pay, I actually got some really great dates off of it, but ever since it went pay it just doesn't seem worth the money. Otakubooty just made me feel... echh. It made me feel like a total prude, and pretty much made me realize I am too old for modern anime culture. Still, they may be an interesting thing to try, depending.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Haha, CGG, you got here just as I was worrying about voicing my opinion of what I saw on SoulGeek. I mean... Ok, my dating situation is really pretty terrible, historically. I'm no Taye Diggs or anything, but... looking at soulgeek, the phrase 'desperation screw' comes to mind.

Forgive, CGG?

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Person mentions this in their profile:
    you think it's cute I have a collection of bottle caps

and that they play video games.

I made the obligatory Fallout joke, and I regret nothing.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Make a few changes on the OKC profile, get a date for tomorrow night. This is a refreshingly nice change of pace! She's smart and cute, too!

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Gentlemen.

I have made it with a woman.

Kif, inform the men.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gentlemen.

I have made it with a woman.

Kif, inform the men.

You're sure it was a woman this time, right?

moniker on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Ages wrote: »
    Can I be rated like a piece of meat too?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Egonaut

Take out the second photo.

Makes your body look a bit strange. All of the other ones work pretty well :^:
    Ages wrote: »
    Shoot Em Up was just delightful.

In more dating website-related news: got a wonderful little IM from someone. Spent a good hour or so conversing on that little dealie before turning to AIM. Spent a few more hours on there talking about various things and whatnot. I may have another date lined up soon. Huzzah?

Will somebody please recognize that my advice actually worked?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes because that most assuredly happened solely due to your advice.

When this thread gives out awards, the academy will consider your contribution.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Yup, that's what I figured!

At least it ended on a good note.

EDIT: Hey, I was digging around my photos, and I came across this one from one of my family vacations. Should I post it on my profile?
    R5mRi.jpg

I dunno, I think I look kind of dorky.

Dude, put that photo up.

Shit, this is the photo I had on my profile:

Warning: just a little bit of cleavage
    n27710367_33000139_8431.jpg

(i'm the skinny guy on the left)

It didn't hurt my profile. The purpose of these pictures are to show people that you are "fun" and can make fun of yourself. It all feeds into the whole "confidence" thing.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's a significant portion of people who get turned off by that kind of picture though. Sure, some may not care or even find it funny, but you're giving yourself more options by not having pictures Like that.

Lucid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lucid wrote: »
    There's a significant portion of people who get turned off by that kind of picture though. Sure, some may not care or even find it funny, but you're giving yourself more options by not having pictures Like that.

Yeah but...

If that's what you have fun doing and whatnot, isn't the whole point to weed out somebody who would be offended by a picture like that? I don't know if the people on this board are really much different than the people I hang out with, but not too many people I know would find that picture offensive.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, I finally did it. Figured I might as well run it by you folks before messaging someone.

You really need some better pictures.

Also a picture of you with a kid in it as your main picture immediately says "HERE'S ME AND MY KID!" which is bad since you don't actually have a kid.

"I hang out with my parents" for what you do on Friday night is seriously not a good thing to put down.

Also I find it kind of pathetic that lots of the profiles I see on here list "the internet" as the top thing they can't do without. REALLY guys?! You can do better than that!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Thanks for the advice! I'll make these changes once I get home from work.

Personally I would pick another main picture. Honestly the rest of the pictures don't even look like the same guy as the dude in the suit. Picture seven, the super up-close one, is much better.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Also a picture of you with a kid in it as your main picture immediately says "HERE'S ME AND MY KID!" which is bad since you don't actually have a kid.
    I figured the "he's my nephew" caption would suffice.
    tsmvengy wrote:
    "I hang out with my parents" for what you do on Friday night is seriously not a good thing to put down.
    My parents moved to East Bumfuck, Virginia, after I graduated from high school. There aren't a lot of people around here, especially not people my age.
    tsmvengy wrote:
    Also I find it kind of pathetic that lots of the profiles I see on here list "the internet" as the top thing they can't do without. REALLY guys?! You can do better than that!
    I like the internet. It has been good to me.

Also, the girl to whom I sent a message looked at my profile while I was online. For maybe three seconds. That's probably not good.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Agreed with all of these points.

Those pictures need to go. The main things I deduced from those pictures is that you are really into your nephew (not that is a bad thing, necessarily) and are pretty unkempt/don't care about your appearance. You've got the good smile going though.

Also, like tsm said, don't mention living with your parents.

It's all about first impressions. The very first thing that anyone will look at on your profile is the pictures. The pictures are one of the most important parts of any profile.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

This presumes people will click on the photos tab in order to have the captions even be visible. They might not. Moving it to #2 would make it more likely that people see a caption and realize he isn't your kid whereas leaving it as your main profile image could give off the other perception. But ultimately its your call as it is your profile.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

tsmvengy wrote:
    My parents moved to East Bumfuck, Virginia, after I graduated from high school. There aren't a lot of people around here, especially not people my age.
    tsmvengy wrote:
    I like the internet. It has been good to me.

Also, the girl to whom I sent a message looked at my profile while I was online. For maybe three seconds. That's probably not good.

OK. The nephew caption suffices AS LONG AS THEY GET THERE. You have it as the main picture on your profile - that picture is supposed to be something that gets a girl's attention, gets her to actually click on the link that lets her look at your profile. Subconsciously, having him in there is something that makes a person browse right past you. If they don't even click on your picture they don't get to your profile, and if they don't get to your profile they can't message you and then you're history.

Great, you live with your parents. That doesn't mean you have to list "hanging with my parents" as your fucking Friday night activity. Put your best foot forward dammit. Who wants to hang out with the guy who hangs out with his parents?

My philosophy is: your profile should be the absolute ideal picture of you. Relationships don't start with you knowing all of your partner's flaws - you find those out over time. So put the best version of you out there and see who messages you.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay, made some changes. I swear to God I cannot find any good pictures of myself on Facebook.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Lucid wrote: »

Yeah but...

If that's what you have fun doing and whatnot, isn't the whole point to weed out somebody who would be offended by a picture like that? I don't know if the people on this board are really much different than the people I hang out with, but not too many people I know would find that picture offensive.
    I'm not really saying these kinds of pictures would offend anybody. More that some may look at them and think that's lame. I mean, I have fun smoking pot on occasion and I want to find others who do as well, but most people I know who do it would find displaying it(especially in a goofy manner) on a dating site to be somewhat immature and a possible turn off.

You're not really eliminating what you seek just by choosing to use a little discretion in how you present yourself visually on sites like these.

Lucid on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Just for the hell of it I checked these out to see how many people actually were on there in my area.

Soul Geek - 10 in a 50 mile radius or so (none online anytime recently)
    Geek to Geek - 4... none online in 6 months
    Otakubooty (I cant believe I actually went there) - 5... none online in months.

So yeah... that was a waste. Funny though, but a waste.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Just for the hell of it I checked these out to see how many people actually were on there in my area.

Soul Geek - 10 in a 50 mile radius or so (none online anytime recently)
    Geek to Geek - 4... none online in 6 months
    Otakubooty (I cant believe I actually went there) - 5... none online in months.

So yeah... that was a waste. Funny though, but a waste.

I got 3... 3. So much for top 12 cities in the nation. Especially since it's got one of the top comic conventions in the nation. lol

But I digress; I'm not sure I'm actually into those types of girls.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

The fifth picture down is pretty bad. The Mad Hatter hat is fine, but what's going on with your stubble/facial hair? It's so patchy and uneven.

LadyM on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Richy, dude, I think you need to get out of Thunder Bay. You're young and highly educated, there's gotta be good opportunities for you in Montreal, TO or Vancouver.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Met Girl #1, or P as I'll call her, at the lake near where I live. She's a cute girl (only had one picture on her profile). We walked around the lake a couple of times before heading over to the pavilion when the rain started coming down. Geeked out with her for a bit about Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, and eventually Pokemon before I concluded that I liked her. Did the hand-holding thing for a bit before she had to go back home; walked her to her car and gave her a few goodbye kisses. We have a second date tomorrow.

Girl #2, T, I met at a pizza place. The original plan was to meet her at Lake Ella (where the lot of my first dates are) yesterday, but the rain hindered that. Enjoyed our meals and had an interesting conversation before heading back to her place and watching High Fidelity. I like her, but, similarly to me, she also just got out of a relationship (and, despite being out of it for a month, still has "in a relationship with..." on her Facebook). Made-out on the couch a bit... that may've been a little too forward, methinks.

Ages on
This discussion has been closed.