As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERNET DATING] It's like video games, except not

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't have a problem being in places where people drink, or hanging at bars with friends... but the invitation was explicit in its intention that I get drunk.

edit: that is to say, if the message had been something like "Let's meet up for some drinks" that would be cool (although, I probably still would have passed on this particular night since I worked so late and it was a bit of a drive) but it was more like "let's get so drunk we time travel"

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    edit: that is to say, if the message had been something like "Let's meet up for some drinks" that would be cool (although, I probably still would have passed on this particular night since I worked so late and it was a bit of a drive) but it was more like "let's get so drunk we time travel"

...I want to time travel.

Guess I should go watch the Back to the Future blu rays I got this week now.

On topic though, decided to message a girl that was listed on the Date Night section on PoF. Hell if anything, I might get a fun night out.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just had a very strange experience on webcam with a girl I met online, who's from florida.

First time for everything, I suppose.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Was it sexy?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes. Very.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Excellent. There ain't nothing wrong with that.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    sain wrote: »
    Anyone willing to help a mild mannered gay man?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/DiscoDinosaur

Hey dude, my only advice is that no crush on Christina Hendricks is totally unexplainable, gay or otherwise. Do you have a "You should message me if..." category filled out? If not, I think you maybe should.

EDIT: for prepositions

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I suppose. Guess she wasn't impressed, then. Oh well.

Or it could be like what I do. Some girl messages/gives me marks and I look at her profile but either forget or put it off till later.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I made a thing

criticisms please

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/renttastic

Rent on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »

Did she just break up with the 7 years guy? Or did she start "dating" a guy in middle school (age 12-14) and stick with him throughout high school -- easily 6-7 years there, and lots of people don't "play the field" in high school (they treat dating like mini-marriage).

So she dates a guy from age 13-19, and in the first year of college she tries to make things work with her high school sweetheart, only he turns into a dick now that he's at a different college and cheats on her. She dumps his ass and rebounds with a guy who's been hanging out with her trying to be friendly, and it turns out he's socially awkward and alternates between infatuation and insane jealousy, because he's never had a girlfriend before. She can only stand it for 6 months, dumps the guy, and after a couple months being single she meets a nice guy that she gets along with well. They date for a little while and then she's mysteriously dumped and he doesn't return phone calls or emails or txts. Another rebound for 2 months with a guy who just wants to get into her pants, and after she has regret-filled sex a few times he dumps her because he's really not that into her.

There you go, a series of bad relationships for a 22 year old that includes a 7-year relationship as well. That doesn't seem too uncommon, I don't think?
    12254a885fadccc3b.gif

That's actually quite good. I would not have thought of that.

Ugh... No offense to you for thinking it's good, nor for not having thought of that on your own, but that seriously should have been a possible consideration for anyone who was/is inclined to think anything of the past that might imply... gah!

LaOs on
  • Options
    Rogueknight-Rogueknight- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thank you very much to all you guys who took time out to read my profile, it was very much appreciated. Corvus - I'll make a note to try and get some less grainy pictures, that was my first thought as well.
    Carrot - Heh, thanks for the confidence boost!
    Godfather - I'm glad that is how I come across - I figure it is better to look optimistic and cheerful about life when someone reads your profile.

Anyway, all of you who took the time to read it you are awesome and internet high-fives are due all round.

Rogueknight- on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    sain wrote: »
    Anyone willing to help a mild mannered gay man?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/DiscoDinosaur
    I would have a "You should message me if" section, but other than that I think it looks good. I'd message you, if you weren't 2,200 miles away. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yay, girl agrees to meet up with me. Unfortunately she's going out of town for a week, but she also wants to keep in touch with IM or email while she's gone. Glad she said that or I would have feared a brush off.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay so there's a girl who's into Breaking Bad that I kinda like

Should I message her asking about if she's seen The Walking Dead? That seems like a good opening message, inoffensive but open to other conversational topics

Rent on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Even moreso than "should I ask this girl out", the answer to this question you've asked should most definitely be yes.

Ages on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Okay so there's a girl who's into Breaking Bad that I kinda like

Should I message her asking about if she's seen The Walking Dead? That seems like a good opening message, inoffensive but open to other conversational topics

No don't message her.

That's not how you build relationships on an online dating site...

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pretty sure he was asking about the content of the message rather than whether to message at all.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Pretty sure he was asking about the content of the message rather than whether to message at all.

yeah this

thanks for the passive-aggressive sarcasm though

Rent on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ah... must've just skimmed through that post -- my answer's still yes.

Ages on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Effort to romance the lady went well. We went to a bookstore, had hot chocolate and looked at books and picked up a few (I really liked all the ones she picked out. She's a smarty), and then we went to a new Cuban restaurant that just opened and was shockingly good. I'd heard good things but it really exceeded expectations, and had a very romantic ambience. Plus only like $75 for two people, so it was also a steal, given the quality of the food. Gotta love small plates.

And then we did a carriage ride around the DC mall and the monuments and stuff, which was super corny but actually really fun. It's been a very new experience dating a girl who's sort of more traditionally feminine, and enjoys romance, even to the point of dorky stuff like that, but I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I'm used to having girlfriends who wear makeup only on special occasions -- this girl has 50+ different colors of nail polish, and more earrings than I can count. And yet...I'm really enjoying it, actually. I mean, she's someone who's very conscious of women's rights and feminism (though doesn't call herself a "feminist" because she feels that Western feminism does a very poor job of really understanding the issues or hearing the voices of women of color/women of the developing world), she's extremely smart, she's assertive about what she wants, and she's very ambitious -- so really I guess poo on me for stereotyping and thinking I wouldn't find all that in a "girly" girl. And you know what? Regarding the more trivial stuff, I'm sort of finding the whole gender role thing to be sort of fun. I've actually always liked buying things for women, for example, or holding doors open, or bringing flowers, so it's kind of fun to get to do stuff like that more often.

I say this because I think many posters in this thread (as I alway used to myself) go for more "low-maintenance" partners, because we're low maintenance. I mean, I'm always down to just get chinese takeout and watch a movie at home and then bone. But it's actually really nice to have impetus to go out and do stuff. I guess always remember that you don't necessarily have to find someone just like you. There's something to be said for difference. I mean, core values should probably overlap, but not necessarily every little taste and behavior.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, you can buy flowers for someone who isn't "girly" as well.

...in fact I have never met someone who doesn't like fresh cut flowers.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Effort to romance the lady went well. We went to a bookstore, had hot chocolate and looked at books and picked up a few (I really liked all the ones she picked out. She's a smarty), and then we went to a new Cuban restaurant that just opened and was shockingly good. I'd heard good things but it really exceeded expectations, and had a very romantic ambience. Plus only like $75 for two people, so it was also a steal, given the quality of the food. Gotta love small plates.

And then we did a carriage ride around the DC mall and the monuments and stuff, which was super corny but actually really fun. It's been a very new experience dating a girl who's sort of more traditionally feminine, and enjoys romance, even to the point of dorky stuff like that, but I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I'm used to having girlfriends who wear makeup only on special occasions -- this girl has 50+ different colors of nail polish, and more earrings than I can count. And yet...I'm really enjoying it, actually. I mean, she's someone who's very conscious of women's rights and feminism (though doesn't call herself a "feminist" because she feels that Western feminism does a very poor job of really understanding the issues or hearing the voices of women of color/women of the developing world), she's extremely smart, she's assertive about what she wants, and she's very ambitious -- so really I guess poo on me for stereotyping and thinking I wouldn't find all that in a "girly" girl. And you know what? Regarding the more trivial stuff, I'm sort of finding the whole gender role thing to be sort of fun. I've actually always liked buying things for women, for example, or holding doors open, or bringing flowers, so it's kind of fun to get to do stuff like that more often.

I say this because I think many posters in this thread (as I alway used to myself) go for more "low-maintenance" partners, because we're low maintenance. I mean, I'm always down to just get chinese takeout and watch a movie at home and then bone. But it's actually really nice to have impetus to go out and do stuff. I guess always remember that you don't necessarily have to find someone just like you. There's something to be said for difference. I mean, core values should probably overlap, but not necessarily every little taste and behavior.

Yeesh. It'd better have been more than amazing. I could've cooked a fucking full course meal for 14 for that price. I don't go for low maintenance, I just try not to spend more money than I have to on occasions. I'll only fork money for shit like that if it's something worthwhile/we both want. Tickets to a concert? Sure. Dinner? No...unless it's Fogo de Chao

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    $75 for two is like "anniversary" levels of spending.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think ~$35 each is unreasonable if you get a complete meal out of it. More than I would spend early on maybe, but whatevs.

ed: also remember farts is on the east coast, so west coasters are probably going to have some sticker shock just from that

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't think ~$35 each is unreasonable if you get a complete meal out of it. More than I would spend early on maybe, but whatevs.

I'm saying that it's unreasonable if it's not for a special occasion. Anniversary/celebration? Sure. But if I'm going to be romantic, I'm cooking dinner. That's effort.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    everyone values different stuff. i very much value excellent food.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    everyone values different stuff. i very much value excellent food.

Come to my place and I'll show you excellent food :whistle:

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    $75 for two people at a nice restaurant seems totally reasonable. Especially if that total might include drinks or tip.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    i'm sure you can cook lecaustic

but there is a well cooked meal and there is a very well cooked meal

i mean, sure, part of dropping >$100 on dinner is for the experience- the ambiance, the service, etc

but good restaurants make good food... really good food! it's what they do for a living

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Honestly I've spent more than that on just, like, a night out with friends because we're really into gourmet food and shit.

I can't do it all the time or anything, but I prioritize it when I can. I always say I'd rather drop $100 on one meal and cook for myself the rest of the time, rather than spend $100 on ten meals.

I guess I consider anything from $30-$50 per person to be a very reasonable price for high-quality restaurants. But then again I've paid up to $150 and I jerk off to celebrity chefs and Patton Oswalt's food tweets so I might have a different frame of reference.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    And, for reference, while I have more spending money now at my current job, I used to do this when I was a broke-ass student as well. If you prioritize something, you find money for it. I'm sure some people here have comic or videogame habits that would put my food spending to shame.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    woah

this chick I'm matched up with looks EXACTLY like lea michele from glee

what the hell

Rent on
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tried another hand at the OK cupid thing over the last few weeks. Sent a few messages out at the beginning of October but haven't gotten anything back. In fact, with the exception of two lovely but ultimately go nowhere conversations over the summer, I've yet to see success from this which I don't quite get. I've tweaked my profile in areas that people suggested, I change and update my photos frequently, I try not to say something stupid in the messages that I do send out and still people can't seem to be bothered to give me the common courtesy of sending a thank you for the message.

God forbid I actually take interest in the person I'm messaging, I clearly just send shit out because I have so much time on my hands.

I'll probably give that up for a while since I can't seem to get anyone's attention. And quite frankly, I don't really feel my heart is in it to really commit myself to something right now, too much disappointment most likely.

Hell, maybe the old adage will hold true that once I stop looking for something, that something will find me. Seemed to work for some of my friends since they're all now married but whatever.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

i mean, sure, part of dropping >$100 on dinner is for the experience- the ambiance, the service, etc

but good restaurants make good food... really good food! it's what they do for a living

I make better food than most restaurants and I fucking suck at cooking.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

That's nice.

moniker on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

You could have just said "I go to shitty chain restaurants"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    No...unless it's Fogo de Chao

Mmmmm... All you can eat Filet Mignon...

That is the only place I have ever found that was WORTH the $50 price tag for the meal.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been quiet in here of late, largely because I haven't had a hell of a lot of motivation to message people - when I have, it's typically been one-offs where we laugh at things and nothing happens with it. While it's not a matter of "getting over" the last girl that I dated, we had just clicked strongly enough that you can't help but have a degree of comparison where things seem lackluster?

Anyway, said previous girl texted me a week or so ago as a general "hope things are going well with you." We started talking a bunch again, and seem to have fallen for one another again so we're kinda-sorta together, this time without the stress of the bar exam bearing down on things.

So I guess we'll see how it goes.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Baggage

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Baggage