As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WE HAVE A SERVER! BUY NOW! MINECRAFT!

nukanuka What are circles?Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Social Entropy++
nR5Od.gif

MAP RENDER

When Minecraft goes Beta, the price is going to double. If you are considering purchasing the game, do so now! Beta happens when health is fixed which is in just a few days!

PM us for the server IP!
Some of us have gotten into the habit of chatting in Vent.
vtx14.defconservers.com
Port: 3860
Password fortytwo

WE GOT OUR MAP FROM EIN BACK!
If you have something on that map you want kept, tell us and we will copy it over. People have done a lot of work on the map we are currently running, so no one wants to go back.

Though boats and minecarts do kind of work, they are still pretty buggy. They won't load up chunks when you use them, so you eventually have to get out or get stuck in the void, and they don't go away. So don't get too excited about using them quite yet. I however will not stop you from planning things out and laying down track, just don't get excited and build 6 Flags.

Something to also keep in mind, Notch did a lot on the Halloween update that kind of made our lives difficult. He fixed some bugs but introduced others. I'm doing all I can to fix what problems we have but for now just know that things are a little fickle right now.

*bagpipes*

"Oh my god how do I do that?"

Well, you go to Minecraft.net and you can try the game out for free!
Not the full game of course, just creative mode. The game costs 9 Euro dollars, which is roughly 13 US dollars when I last checked.

Which of course is where the [strike]addiction[/strike]fun starts!

"Wait what is this exactly?"

It's a sandbox game, where you build stupidly ridiculous crap like that, mine forever, fight monsters and build a little home for yourself. There is multiplayer survival*, single player survival and creative mode. The Enterprise was made in creative mode. Keep in mind that this game is not finished, it's currently in Alpha still. If you want news on development you can check out Notch's Blog, the guy who made this. Music is done by C418.

Also do yourself a favor and don't try this game out during finals week.
I'm not kidding around don't fucking do it. D:

He tries to set up updates every Friday, but lately he's been trying to start his own business. I'll put in news from the blog in the spoiler below:
October 10 wrote:
QWume.png
More information coming next week, in some form.
RjrBy.png
Work on the new dimension is going well! Here’s a new block type.
aXePM.png

As with all things you wanna be sure what you're hearing is also correct right? Some guys got together and made a thread where they gather information that they know and can reference as to plans Notch has up, so if you hear something crazy and you ain't sure, here's a good resource for you!

"Oh man this is awesome but how do I play?"

You punch trees. If it doesn't work just hold down the mouse button. You then turn the logs into planks. Which gets turned to a crafting table, and you can also turn them into sticks. And then it kinda spirals out of control. If you need help crafting, go here. Don't feel bad if you don't understand how to play the game, there's no real tutorial. If you don't know what something is, look here.

Here's the basics you will need to know for your first day and night.
WASD controls + Mouse.
I opens up your inventory
Hold left click to remove blocks or attack mobs
Right click places blocks or gets into boats/minecarts.
Space jumps or swims.
F5 goes into third person, if you like that kind of thing.
Q drops whatever item you are holding
F changes the draw distance.
Esc takes you to the main menu
T lets you talk to people in multiplayer

First, punch those trees. Now you have logs. You may also wanna punch down those leaves, you get saplings in return which allows you to replant more trees. You can punch as many as you want, but for the moment let's just stick with one tree.

Don't know what to do with logs? Stick them in here.
Planks.png
1 log gives you 4 planks, which you can use to build a tiny little home for the night much more quickly. Plus planks burn at about the same rate as logs do, so when you're low on coal or you'd rather use coal for torches it's a good substitute.

To make a crafting table, do this.
WorkBench.png
This allows you to use a larger crafting surface, which is what you will be needing for tools and for most of everything else in the game. Consider bringing an extra one with you in your travels as part of your supply kit. You can destroy it with an axe to pick it back up.

To make tools, you need handles. You make them out of sticks like so:
Sticks.png

At this point you are probably thinking you need more lumber. Make an axe.
WoodAxe.png

In singleplayer, all tools have a life expectancy. Wood and gold don't last for very long, iron lasts a decent amount of time and diamond lasts for quite a while. There's a bug currently in multiplayer that lets you drop an item and then pick it back up to "fix it" but don't expect it to last forever. Some tools are better suited for different materials. Hoes don't last for very long, and you won't want to use a diamond pickaxe to harvest stone as fast as it may go. Diamond swords though should be the first thing you make once you find diamond as they are quite deadly and last quite a while, especially if you use bow and arrows. You need an Iron pickaxe to harvest gold, diamond and redstone, and a diamond one to harvest obsidian. You'll be fine starting out with wood but personally, I mostly use stone tools when I can.

Is it getting dark? You should consider finishing that home pretty quick. No one makes anything elaborate on the first day. You can use dirt to finish your home but don't use sand or gravel on the ceiling, they fall.

Now that you are hiding from the scary monsters you probably want to light the place up. Monsters spawn in the dark after all. To get coal though for torches, you need to mine. And you need a pickaxe.

WoodPick.png

When you do find coal, and look at this list to see what coal looks like, grab a stick and then do this.

Torches.png

As you can see you don't need a crafting table to make torches, they only require two blocks.

And there are the basics! If you get hurt build a hoe and right click the ground until you find seeds. Plant them into soil near water and wait, and you'll have wheat! Make that into bread and regenerate some life, or you can kill a pig, eat the raw flesh for some health or cook it in your furnace for more. The wikia tells you how to make armor and all kinds of stuff in the crafting link so check it out!

"OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT!"

It's a mob! There are all kinds here and some of them are more useful than others.

Pigs, Cows, Sheep and Chickens are all friendly. The worst they will do is trample your crops, but that is why we have fences!
Pigs drop meat when you kill them, which you use to eat to heal yourself. Cows drop Leather, which you can use to make armor. You can also milk them with buckets. Sheep drop wool which is nice for carpeting or your walls. Chickens drop feathers when you kill them and eggs when you just leave them alone, you'll hear a pop sound. They are useless for the time being, but we're expecting that to be changed in an update. Feathers are used to make arrows.

There are also hostile mobs.

Like skeletons that drop arrows, zombies that drop feathers for some reason, creepers which fuck your shit up and they also drop gunpowder. Kill them from a distance as they will explode. Spiders drop string, which you can use to make more cloth and to build a bow and a fishing pole. Slimes are recent enough that what they drop is entirely useless, which is just more slime. Be careful killing them because you'll just have two smaller versions. They live in caves near bedrock.

Some more tutorials you may find useful:
crossection.png
Circuitry.png
Underwater.jpg
Obsidianbuilding.jpg
128038359846.png

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
nuka on

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Were do I go to play with people?

We have a number of Penny Arcade servers up. Most of them come from G&T but we have one of our own and it's new! If you would like the IP to join, PM me or any one here and we'll give it to you. It's run by Ein who owns the server, (Thank you! <3) I am also an admin and it's moderated by Squall, Artreus, VALVejunkie, Raneados, rfilyaw, and Dubh. You can't build immediately though, one of the mods will give you building permission. It's to keep people from fucking our stuff up.

We run a number of Hey0 plugins, some of them being WorldEdit, Mixxit, BorderLands, llamacraft and Craftbook.

Also, we like to change the colors of our names. Usually admin is red, and mods are a light blue color but to avoid confusion we have put symbols in our names. Admins now have a ~, a tilde in front of their names, and mods have a @. If you want your name to have a color then look at this list here. It only changes what the color of the name is in the text field, not above your avatar. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/4/4c/Colors.png

The users that play on the Social Entropy are the mods and myself of course, plus:
    Hiartbill
    Twixxo
    TankHammer
    apricotmuffins
    Campion
    Vann Diras
    ScarletBlvd
    Spono
    Phasen
    ultimakay -- ultimak
    Atheraal -- Maxabillion
    Davoid
    Depressperado
    Metzger Meister
    Griswold -- ultimabeam
    Ruckus -- StovietRuckus
    MrMonroe
    Skettios
    irtehmongoose
    Pooka
    Legba
    Belruel
    Garick -- DragoonDark

SOCIAL ENTROPY SERVER RULES:

1.) Don't be a fucking douchebag.

We're moving onto a new Map, but for those of you who just weren't quite ready yet or those who fear new things we've saved a copy of our old map. The picture of it is located here. To install, download the rar file and extract it. I've named the folder SocialEntropy, but you want to rename that to either World1, World2, World3, World4 or World5 so you can load it up yourself. The map file is huge, so be in store for a bit of a wait.

The G&T folks have done some crazy things. Like build Rapture and Columbia. There's also the Underdark which a lot of us are from before we got our own server. They're building a new version and it's going to be entirely underground. If you wanna check out those servers, head on over to the G&T thread and ask nicely and they'll PM you the IP.

We also have a Steam group! PAMiners!

Where can I see cool stuff?

You can browse this sticky in the minecraft forums.

We also had a LP during the month of July that I guess people ran out of free time for. I'm not aware of any plans made to start it up again but perhaps we will again one day. In the meantime, here it is.

July 2010 Minecraft LP
    July 2010 Minecraft LP Continued

Something Awful also has a thread that may be worth browsing.

If you need help deciding what to build, this thread is loaded with ideas. This one too.

Youtube also has a ton of videos to check out as well! Also if you need help building something, it's full of tutorials as well.

nuka on
    edited November 2010
    "I want to modify my game"

Well, first of all, do you have any idea the size of the rabbit hole that you're about to jump in?

Personally I divide them up into 3 groups.

Server Mods
    Client Side Mods
    Texture Mods

I've already listed what mods we run up in the above post, but here I'll go into more detail.

Server Mods
    • Hey0 is kind of the big one we have running, all the mods we have listed are plugins to this mod. It makes running the server much easier for me.
    • Mixxit is a mod that lets us do damage to animals and lets monsters do damage to us. There is also a PVP aspect to this mod, but before I install that bit I want to hear from you guys about pvp is going to work.
    • BorderLands is what keeps the map a certain size, so it doesn't strain the server. We have a huge map so we're ok but any larger and we're in trouble. Our map is 2200x2200 blocks in size.
    • CraftBook is special. It does a lot of things so I'll go into it in a bit.

We have a test server we use to test out the mods for compatibility, if you have a mod you wanna suggest then tell us! Just keep in mind that any mod that introduces new block items is not allowed, they will force people to crash.

Client Side Mods are just tools you would use in single player, you can do just about anything else that you would want in a server mod, but in single player. I don't have a list up, but a good source to find them would be this thread here. http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewforum.php?f=25

Texture Mods change the look of your game.
    They are fucking awesome!

In order for 32 bit textures and higher to work properly, you need to install this mod first. It's also open sourced and it comes with Better Grass if you want it. Link here.

They're pretty easy to install and edit around yourself too, but there are a number of texture installation tools available that I will list in a bit. When you download your texture pack, the textures are located in a file called texture.png. If you have photoshop and GIMP you can mess around and recolor or completely design your own pack. Don't use mspaint or something cheap like that, because there are transparencies involved. Here is a very indepth guide to installing texture mods for OS X and Windows 7, but you can also read the guide I wrote below.

How to install:

Download the texture pack file. It's a winrar file.
    You'll need to find the .minecraft folder. It's hidden so turn that feature on and let your computer do the work. When you have found it, make a back up it somewhere save and then open it and then open up the bin folder. Look for minecraft.jar and open it up with winrar, just right-click and go to Open With...

Now go back to your downloaded texture file. Extract it and look to where the files are and copy and paste that into your winrar window.

I browse this forum regularly for updates for my favorites.

I've got a few here listed already but here's another list for you as well. This list changes often and if you find a texture mod yourself you would like me to post here let me know!
    I recently found this overlay that makes objects look more blocky that you may want to consider adding to your texture pack. There are instructions in the thread.

16 bit
      Painterly Pack -- Comes with a lovely customizer that lets you pick and choose what you want. Also has a link to a texture pack installer and Skylands which is a lovely map you really should be trying out right now. Be sure to check back often for updates! You might also want this.
        Quandary
          Eld's Artpack
            Nurio's SplotchBlock 16 & 32 bit
              Legend of Zelda
                GloomCraft
                  Tilecraft
                    CleanCraft
                      Frenden's Pack
                        PokeCraft
                          Black and White
                            Ancient Egypt

32 bit
                              Dusty Textures
                                Brown and Bloom
                                  Glimmar's Steampunk Texture Pack
                                    Doku's RPG -- This is no longer being updated so you may need to edit this one yourself for new blocks we will be getting down the line. There is no word as of yet if he will be updating the pack for Halloween, however someone else has stepped in and offered some edited items Doku didn't do himself that you may also wish to check out here.
                                      Taehl's Texturepack
                                        Emperorr's Texture Pack
                                          JohnSmith's Textures Pack
                                            Mixcraft -- Has a 16 bit version as well.
                                              Brocklehurst's Faithful Hi-Res Texture Pack

"What else can I download for this game?"

Like, a lot? I don't test out these programs so if they destroy everything or something then tell me ok?

Map and Inventory Editing Tools
                                              Maps and Save Files
                                              Map Viewing and Mine and Mineral Revealing Tools
                                              Skin Collection and Editing Tools
                                              More Building Tutorials and Guides
                                              Minor Texture Mods
                                              Save Management
                                              Miscellaneous Items of Interest

nuka on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              So, CraftBook.
                                              It does a number of things.

1.) When you remove leaves from a tree, sometimes you will get an apple!
                                              2.) You can make gates, cauldrons, light switches and and elevator!
                                              3.) When you right click on a bookshelf, it lets you actually read something, and when you remove a bookshelf you get the block back. We can also edit what the books say.

Gate
                                              To make a gate is very simple. Make a wall sign near a fence gate with the second line as [Gate]. To toggle the gate, just right click the sign.
                                              iDH6j.jpg
                                              66Of5.jpg

Elevators
                                              Just make a sign with the second line as [Lift Up] or [Lift Down] and right click it to move between levels. Note that there must be a sign directly above or below the sign you right click on (depending on which way you want to go) in order for the elevator to work. Use [Lift] on the second line of a sign if you just need a placeholder for that purpose. The first line of the sign can be used to say the floor name (it will be printed to chat).
                                              6bwxf.jpg

Area Light Switch
                                              This will toggle on the lights in the area on/off (about 10 units away, 5 units up/down). Just make a wall sign with the second line as [|] and have a torch above the sign.
                                              5tPmc.jpg
                                              tNTrR.jpg

Cauldron
                                              Make a cauldron and get items yourself instead of bumming off the admins and mods all the damn fucking time. We have only one recipe listed, and it's displayed in the picture below. It gives you grass. We need to decide what the other recipies should be, I'll put a working list in the spoiler below.
                                              OY6gT.jpg

Cauldron Recipe List
                                              Obsidian+Torch+Glass= Lightstone
                                              Mossy Cobblestone+Obsidian+Brick= Netherstone
                                              Dirt+Gravel+Obsidian+Clay= Slowsand

4 Wool+3 Iron+Water= 4 Snow
                                              4 Snow+3 Iron+ Water = 4 Ice

Grass+Log= Pumpkin

Diamond Block+Red Stone+Torch+Obsidian = Mobspawner

2 Grass 1 Red Flower 1 Yellow Flower = 16 Wool

Lumber+Grass+Redstone= Red Mushroom
                                              Lumber+Grass+Dirt= Brown Mushroom

Sand+Cloth+Leaves= Sponge
                                              2 Dirt+ Sand + Gravel = Clay

Pumpkin+Grass+Dirt+Redstone= Red Flower
                                              Pumpkin+Grass+Sponge= Yellow Flower

Cobblestone+ Gold Block =9 Gold Ore
                                              Cobblestone+ Iron Block =9 Iron Ore
                                              Cobblestone+ Diamond Block =9 Diamond Ore

nuka on
                                            • apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              so i guess the server needs more than just a restart? D;

BILL

apricotmuffins on
                                            • hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Did my fire crash the server? Maybe there needs to be a limit on how many trees are burned :P

Edit: probably not apricot, if the server is restarted and not many people log on, it should finish doing the fire calculations itself. And then re-stabilize.

hiartbill on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              redfenix wrote: »
                                              nuka, did you have a list of the mods Ein is using?

Hate you.

For his server? I think they are in the op of the G&T thread.

nuka on
                                            • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              We cant have any things. Mostly working things

Phasen on
                                              psn: PhasenWeeple
                                            • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              thread title should be

hiarts on fire

Atheraal on
                                            • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              nuka wrote: »
                                              redfenix wrote: »
                                              nuka, did you have a list of the mods Ein is using?

Hate you.

For his server? I think they are in the op of the G&T thread.

cant redfenix just delete his post? it is quite funny though.

ultimakay on
                                              hLeTR.png
                                            • CampionCampion Registered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Nuka your dedication to Minecraft will be written in the anals of history.

Campion on
                                              4484-7718-8470
                                              edited November 2010
                                              I think my user title fits better now.

hiartbill on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              I'm editing up the OP now cause I was bad and I didn't do it last thread.

I can't get the server to respond! Gonna have to force quit it, sorry but we will be losing some progress and we may have some corruptions somewhere. I really don't want to do this but we backed it up last night so if it gets THAT BAD we can fix it.

nuka on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              oh shit

Edit: if things are broken, send me the map file and i'll manually fix chunks that got corrupted. The worst that will happen is people will lose some progress, so I'll help them rebuild.

hiartbill on
                                            • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              yeah, ill just delete the post

redfenix on
                                            • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              can we dial back on the number of apples that come out of trees? they're useless and they fill up your inventory because they don't stack

spono on
                                              640qocnq4ske.gif
                                              edited November 2010
                                              just eat them nomnomnomnomnom

apricotmuffins on
                                            • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              I am officially recommending that 1 Dirt + 1 Apple = Pumpkin for the cauldron mod so as to make them useful.

HugmasterGeneral on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Or, to take it one step further, don't force the server to do all those fire calculations. If the fire is an issue, send me the current map file, I'll let it run it's course on my machine in ssp, and then send it back.

hiartbill on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS, BILL

apricotmuffins on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              spono wrote: »
                                              can we dial back on the number of apples that come out of trees? they're useless and they fill up your inventory because they don't stack

All food is worthless right now. I wanna fix that, and I will dial back how many apples we get, probably by about half?

nuka on
                                            • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              I've started a new single-player server since my last one was kinda messed-up.

TankHammer on
                                              edited November 2010

!

Hey, I'd like to point out that the fire was controlled, it was just huge... Like, you remember my red square on the claims map? That kind of huge.

Edit: Also, food isn't worthless, it's the mixxit plugin's leveling up system that has problems! If we had monsters....

hiartbill on
                                            • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              So the server blew up again?

Davoid on
                                              rqv6.png
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Yeah. I loaded up the task manager and it's still not closing itself.

nuka on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              no list at GnT, nuka

i just mean, what are the mods for warp and kit and time, for example

redfenix on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Let it run it's course, or kill the process.

Red, those are all default commands in hey0's mod.

hiartbill on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              hiartbill wrote: »

!

Hey, I'd like to point out that the fire was controlled, it was just huge... Like, you remember my red square on the claims map? That kind of huge.

Edit: Also, food isn't worthless, it's the mixxit plugin's leveling up system that has problems! If we had monsters....

turn it all to pumpkins and i might forgive you.

apricotmuffins on
                                            • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              If you see dumprep.exe, close that manually. It is probably compiling an error file which will be useless to you.

HugmasterGeneral on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Ok guys load it up again.

I'll be here in the thread working on the OP, so I'll join in later. If something goes out of control, Bill tell Ronnie how to fix it ok?

nuka on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              The map rolled back to before the fire was started. I'm going to remove some connections and do a slow burn. It'll take a lot more time but the server shouldn't crash again.

hiartbill on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Bill, I can't send messages via the console.

nuka on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Yeah, it like immediately went down. I did see the lack of fire before it did though.

Edit: this might be a "pack it up and send to bill" deal... I mean, the trees that were on fire initially were all back, leaves and all, so I doubt it's any lingering affects from the fire. It looked like a complete roll-back, but maybe having to kill the process left some shit in memory that's messing with it?

hiartbill on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              whelp time for another episode of dexter and some photoshop work.

>:|

apricotmuffins on
                                            • CampionCampion Registered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Deal also applies to cookies

Campion on
                                              4484-7718-8470
                                              edited November 2010
                                              Right, compressing the files for transfer now.

nuka on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              I don't know if you can, but once you send the files try restarting the machine. If there's crap in memory from the crash, that would clear it up easiest.

hiartbill on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              I loaded up the old map in single player. Boy was it weird seeing everything offline. It was even more weird when I almost died walking down the cliff to my hovel (and seeing the old pagoda in one piece.)

But, success. Got a shot of my cool swag I had intended to bring over. Stare and drool, ladies. All legit (some of which was Ein's special treasures.)
                                              inventoryp.png

HugmasterGeneral on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              rfilyaw wrote: »
                                              I am officially recommending that 1 Dirt + 1 Apple = Pumpkin for the cauldron mod so as to make them useful.

Is there such thing as an apple block though?

nuka on
                                            • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
                                              edited November 2010
                                              i made me a little lair!

Metzger Meister on
                                              edited November 2010
                                              so, it seems like the server is down a lot just to play with the map file

redfenix on
                                            This discussion has been closed.