As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[INTERNET DATING] It's like video games, except not

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antoine wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    As an example of her bitch attitude, there was this one incident where one girl couldn't afford an express pass for halloween horror nights last month and she straight up told her if she was too poor to buy an express pass then don't bother going because she probably wasn't going to be able to afford having a good time in the park anyway.

That doesn't seem bitchy to me, that seems realistic

Really? You'd just tell someone "You're too poor to hang out with us" to their face?

Maybe I'm just too nice?

maybe a bit rude yeah, but I don't think it's too unreasonable to say something along the lines of "if you can't afford a ticket then you shouldn't go because we'll be going to a place that costs a ton of money"

Rent on
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Murphy wrote: »
    Yeah, at 30-40mph you probably would have hurt something. Man, what a bitch, saving you from that.

No fucking way, a paintball moves faster than that. Sure, it's smaller, but a hand is also small and thin and the contact area is well spread out.

How fast do two hands approach each other on average when you high five someone?

Wait, you just asked if that would hurt, and then when told that it would, you're like "No, it totally wouldn't"? A paintball is not a hand. Which is connected to an arm. Which is a complex system of tendons, nerves, bones, and muscle. Also, a hand is not designed to explode on impact.

Murphy on
  • AntoineAntoine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    How fast was your buddy driving?

Although that Halloween pass thing was pretty epically bitchy. Don't talk to someone about how poor they are, like they're some sort of scum. If I'd been in the other girl's position (heh), I woulda had your lady crying by the time I was done talking to her.

I have actually never seen this girl cry.

The only emotions in fact I've ever seen on her are happy, confused, normal, chill, stoic/pissed off. Bad sign?

Yeah, I'd say it could be a bad sign... but only if you've known her for a long time, and seen her in situations where crying would not only be reasonable, but the natural reaction of a human being.

At the very least, it seems like you're dating a real, genuine dickhead. However, yes, that high-five would've done Something Bad to you.

I've noticed though that she's usually a bitch to other girls, most of her friends are guys.

What exactly does it say about a girl if she doesn't have any close female friends?

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    That she prefers the company of guys to girls? Maybe she feels she has more in common with them? I don't think it's indicative of some sort of issue. I mean, it could be, but it could just as easily not be.

Murphy on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, at 30-40mph you probably would have hurt something. Man, what a bitch, saving you from that.

No fucking way, a paintball moves faster than that. Sure, it's smaller, but a hand is also small and thin and the contact area is well spread out.

How fast do two hands approach each other on average when you high five someone?

Wait, you just asked if that would hurt, and then when told that it would, you're like "No, it totally wouldn't"? A paintball is not a hand. Which is connected to an arm. Which is a complex system of tendons, nerves, bones, and muscle. Also, a hand is not designed to explode on impact.

What is a safe speed then for two hands to collide? 5 mph? 10 mph?

Fuck this, this can't be right. Don't people catch baseballs at like 90, 100 mph? And baseballs are more massive and less flexible than hands.

And people even get punched at speeds faster than 40 mph, and it's not always a big deal.

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    Okay look how is the hand thing in any way rude

at worst she was overprotective and worried about your safety

This is not something bitches do

Rent on
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    People also catch baseballs with big fucking gloves. And the ones designed to catch them at fastball speeds are even bigger.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
    edited November 2010
    Meh, well I guess it wasn't rude. At best it was just kind of neutral I suppose.

So I guess she's not really that bad? Although there have been other incidents but these were the most recent.

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    It seems that you are basically looking for us to back up your opinion that she is a bitch half the time.

Murphy on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was hit with a water balloon from a car in a 25mph zone and it felt like someone threw a brick into my chest.

It also didn't pop until it hit the ground.

High-five might not have been a great idea.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    Ok well another time she bitched out a waitress at a restaurant because they gave her a pickle with her hamburger and she's allergic to pickles and she made it clear to add no pickles. She complained that it had taken them a long ass time to bring out the food and now she had to wait twice as long (because they are forced to go remake the food).

Justified?

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    Ok well another time she bitched out a waitress at a restaurant because they gave her a pickle with her hamburger and she's allergic to pickles and she made it clear to add no pickles. She complained that it had taken them a long ass time to bring out the food and now she had to wait twice as long (because they are forced to go remake the food).

Justified?

Totally

Especially since she's allergic and made it explicitly clear

That's like

Totally justified

dude your gf sounds p cool honestly

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    It seems like you don't like this girl very much for reasons that are specious at best. Break up?

If she's actually allergic (and not just saying it because she doesn't like pickles) then complaining to the waitress and then being put out that it is taking doubly long to remake her order (especially if it took a while to arrive in the first place) is justified. How severe was said bitching out?

Murphy on
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, being allergic to pickles, of course she doesn't wanna eat a pickle. However, it isn't neccessary to 'bitch out' the wait staff, almost ever. I've been hugely pissed off at waiters before, and still managed to hold my temper. I've never really understood people who freak out on restaurant staff. I've gotten raw food before, and still managed to say "please" and "thank you." Yeah, your lady might an asshole. Not sure if it's grounds for dismissal, though.

FroThulhu on
  • AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd say that's pretty justified. Unless she just says she's allergic to pickles because she hates 'em.

Ages on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As an example of her bitch attitude, there was this one incident where one girl couldn't afford an express pass for halloween horror nights last month and she straight up told her if she was too poor to buy an express pass then don't bother going because she probably wasn't going to be able to afford having a good time in the park anyway.

That doesn't seem bitchy to me, that seems realistic

I agree... depending on how it was said and how the planning came to be.

If a group of people are already planning to go to a park AND use an express pass, someone tagging along without an express pass is either not going to have much fun herself or is going to seriously impede everyone else's good time. It's like a 16-year-old wanting to tag along on a pub crawl. It's almost impossible for a person without an express pass to hang out with people who have one, and during holiday events Express Passes are the best way to ensure you have a good time and get stuff done. I've been to the Orlando parks near Halloween and Christmas, I know what I'm talking about.

What are the alternate possible outcomes here?
    1. The girl comes without the Express pass. Everyone else uses the express lines, so she's essentially at the park by herself 90% of the day. If she can't afford to eat with everyone either (eating and the express pass are about the same amount of $$), what time does she get to spend with the rest of the group? If she does have the money to eat park restaurant food, wouldn't it have been smarter for her to buy the express pass and bring water/power bars/a sandwich with her?

2. The girl comes without the Express pass. Everyone alters their schedules and plans to accommodate her (wasting huge amounts of money if they purchased the Express pass in advance). They only get to do or see three or four things, and really it's a waste of time.

3. Someone else who is good friends with the girl buys her an express pass. Of course that would have been the best solution (I've done essentially this multiple times), but apparently nobody in the group liked her well enough for that.

There's a difference between saying "Ha ha, you're poor and can't hang out with us." and saying "We have a specific event planned. If you can't afford to attend that particular event don't expect us to change our already established plans to accommodate you."

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    edited November 2010
    It seems like you don't like this girl very much for reasons that are specious at best. Break up?

If she's actually allergic (and not just saying it because she doesn't like pickles) then complaining to the waitress and then being put out that it is taking doubly long to remake her order (especially if it took a while to arrive in the first place) is justified. How severe was said bitching out?

She told her that she completely messed up her order because of the pickle, and reminded her of how long it had already taken just to get this food out, and that if it took to long to get the new burger out we were apparently just going to get up and leave. Then even after the waitress apologized profusely she left 0 tip.

That's about it I suppose.

I don't know if she's really allergic to pickles. Never seen her eat one though.

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    Well, being allergic to pickles, of course she doesn't wanna eat a pickle. However, it isn't neccessary to 'bitch out' the wait staff, almost ever. I've been hugely pissed off at waiters before, and still managed to hold my temper. I've never really understood people who freak out on restaurant staff. I've gotten raw food before, and still managed to say "please" and "thank you." Yeah, your lady might an asshole. Not sure if it's grounds for dismissal, though.

if you're getting raw food I would flip the fuck out

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    So, did she like, yell, or insult the waitress, or just tell her that the order was messed up, and that as it had already taken such a long time, her desire to stick around was beginning to reach zero?

Also, did you leave a tip in lieu of hers?

Murphy on
    edited November 2010
    She's also has a tendency to untag herself from photos on facebook if there are any "unattractive" people in the picture.

I don't know if that's a common thing though?

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    So, did she like, yell, or insult the waitress, or just tell her that the order was messed up, and that as it had already taken such a long time, her desire to stick around was beginning to reach zero?

She was paying so there was no tip for the meal. And she didn't yell but you could tell she was pissed. She never really raises her voice.

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    Did you have no money on you? I've gone out with my parents who are paying and they haven't left much of a tip (or one at all, because they are dicks) and I've just gone and put money on the table for the server.

I untag myself in photos all the time. My reasons vary.

So she was angry (justifiably) and didn't raise her voice, and to you this makes her a bitch?

Murphy on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Justified?

How old are you?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited November 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »

Justified?

How old are you?

23, she is 22.

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    Chattin' up a girl I met on okc on AIM

how the hell do you make AIM not display your real name

Rent on
    edited November 2010
    Did you have no money on you? I've gone out with my parents who are paying and they haven't left much of a tip (or one at all, because they are dicks) and I've just gone and put money on the table for the server.

I untag myself in photos all the time. My reasons vary.

So she was angry (justifiably) and didn't raise her voice, and to you this makes her a bitch?

I didn't leave anything because I felt she would have probably got pissed off at me if I did. She explicitly told me she was leaving no tip at all.

Antoine on
    edited November 2010

She was paying so there was no tip for the meal. And she didn't yell but you could tell she was pissed.

I'm beginning to think this girl is too good for you.

In cases of exceptionally bad service (and we all have different rubrics for exceptionally bad service) I'll leave a <10% tip, or no tip if service is really bad. (The "no tip" has only happened once in the past ten years, and the specific circumstances were: multiple mistakes on orders, extremely slow service, and left waiting 15 minutes with both my drinks completely empty).

Did you have no money on you at all? You could have slipped a few bills out of your wallet and left them on the table if you thought things were completely unreasonable. (My mom once found out that my brother had forgotten to tip a delivery boy. She called the pizza place, asked them to figure out who had made the delivery, and drove over there to give them $10 for that guy.)

If you disapprove of this girl's actions, ASK her about them at the time. Politely. You seem completely uninterested in thinking critically about any of these situations or engaging her in dialogue. She deserves better.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    edited November 2010
    So now I'm the bad guy?

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    So now I'm the bad guy?

Complaining about someone behind their back? Judging someone without trying to talk to them? Trying to get complete strangers to call a girl they've never met a bitch? Assigning the most malicious possible ulterior motive to someone's actions?

I'm fine with a little venting and complaining, but in aggregate all your posts here seem a little uncool is all.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    edited November 2010
    Well, so far you haven't provided any evidence that she is.

A lot of this could be cleared up by you talking to her about your concerns. Having a better idea of her motivations may allow you to understand her better. But so far you haven't really been able to describe anything that would make her "a bitch 50% of the time." Maybe a bit rude or coarse, but that's about it.

Murphy on
  • AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Generally, if you have qualms with someone, you want to let the someone know of them ASAP so they can explain themselves.

[Edit] Dammit!

Ages on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, so far you haven't provided any evidence that she is.

Pretty much. What you've described so far sounds like a girl i'd enjoy dating: is low on BS, is a guy's girl, does MMA, thinks fast enough to keep you from getting pegged (even though jury is out on whether the high-five would have hurt), doesn't engage in BS with other girls, and has high service standards. My style is to not tip or tip less than 10% if service is truly awful, but i've stormed out once or twice when things were unacceptable.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to ask her tonight about some of the stuff I think is uncool.

Antoine on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well you asked us if she's a bitch and gave examples and we're like "no" and you still think she's a bitch. So yes, technically you're the only one who sees her as a bitch — and you're the one dating her.

I mean she sounds like a hardass but at least she's rational. You might need a h/a thread, but I think the same thing applies -- if you don't like it, talk to her about it or do something about it. Complaining about someone just makes you a bitch. ;D

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited November 2010
    Yea, meh.

On second thought I should probably just keep my mouth shut and go with it.

Antoine on
    edited November 2010
    Please report back with her response! I am interested to know how she will reply to you explaining that you are concerned about her expectation of quality service in a restaurant, her desire to enjoy a fun time out with friends, and her concern for your physical safety.

edit: Look, Antoine, I know I'm being a bit snarky with you, but honestly, if you're not happy being with this girl, then maybe it isn't because she's a bitch. Maybe it's something less tangible. Just because she's not a bitch doesn't mean that you have to be in the relationship if you're unhappy.

Murphy on
    edited November 2010
    hey i agree with you murphy but you're being kind of a passive aggressive ass here

also antoine yeah you seem like you're complaining about nothing. At least that's my opinion

Rent on
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

if you're getting raw food I would flip the fuck out

You can get a burger re-cooked. And, having worked food service and as a bartender, I don't mind not treating restaurant staff like foodbots. Shit goes wrong, places get busy, people get tired.

If things are unacceptable, or even just meh, I just don't leave a tip. I tip for great service, not just service that happened.

FroThulhu on
    edited November 2010
    hey i agree with you murphy but you're being kind of a passive aggressive ass here

also antoine yeah you seem like you're complaining about nothing. At least that's my opinion

Hence my edit add-on. My sarcasm isn't going to help him figure this situation out.

Murphy on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Well you asked us if she's a bitch and gave examples and we're like "no" and you still think she's a bitch. So yes, technically you're the only one who sees her as a bitch — and you're the one dating her.

I mean she sounds like a hardass but at least she's rational. You might need a h/a thread, but I think the same thing applies -- if you don't like it, talk to her about it or do something about it. Complaining about someone just makes you a bitch. ;D

Yeah it's this

Hardass, but rational

a lot of guys would swoon themselves giddy over a girl like that, but if its not what you like, than that's that

The Black Hunter on
This discussion has been closed.