As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And the Illusive Man as Uncle Ben. "With great power comes great opportunity to preserve humanity's interests!"

"Don't turn your back on me [strike]Shepard[/strike] Peter!"

I wonder if this shows something about our forum that a ME2 joke was used rather then a line like "Spider-Man's not a bad enough dude to save the President." :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man.

Marvel replaced Germany in WW2 with Hydra? Like, straight up replaced.

edit: I am referring to Avengers, of course.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Matrias wrote: »
    man.

Yost said standards and practices made them choose: guns or Nazis.

Furu on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    man.

What? Like, they said that they couldn't have Nazis and guns in the same movie?

That's stupid.

Edit: Ooooh, the cartoon. Then I get it. For a minute there I thought it was about the Captain America movie.

Editedit: Also, it looks like Smallville is trying to rip off Marvel's Civil War while doing the whole Apocalypse sub-plot thing. My god they are just cramming shit in here for the last season aren't they.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man.

Considering the guns all seem to shoot laser beams, even back in the 40's, I don't think it was that great of a compromise.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Last night's Brave and the Bold had D-Day and real guns.

And Sgt. Rock, and G.I. Robot.

And that was just in the first two minutes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wasn't it Moonstone that gave Graviton his over-ambitions in that T-bolts arc?

Or did she just spiral it , been a while since read it.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    He hired her to be his therapist, but he had some little alien guy from another planet who was making him take over the world and siphoning off his power to open an invasion force to Earth. Graviton wanted Karla to be his significant other when he was lifting every other hero in the world in orbit, and she was all "no thanks kill yourself" after Fixer and Zemo helped save the day. So he did kill himself and then they wound up on Counter Earth.

Watched Breakout 1 & 2 today, and it seems fine for a cartoon of the Avengers. Somethings I don't care for, like Sum 41 inspired opening song or Fury having a soul patch or Hulk in general, but I like Janet, Hawkeye seemed in keeping with his comic self, nice to see Jimmy Woo too. Nothing about it says regular viewing, but if they had episodes about certain heroes or villains (like USAgent or Moonstone or Lockjaw), I'd tune in/watch on XD's website for that.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ya what is it about Marvel cartoon theme songs that no matter how awful, they will still stick in your head.

And they've improved a bit as well each episode since breakout I think, the Cap ep last ep was great.

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ya what is it about Marvel cartoon theme songs that no matter how awful, they will still stick in your head.

And they've improved a bit as well each episode since breakout I think, the Cap ep last ep was great.

Yeah the Avengers theme is worse than the Spectacular Spider-man one for getting stuck in your head.

Also regarding guns vs nazis: in the episode set in 1943 with the howlers Hydra used a machine gun turret with real live bullets, but otherwise they still wuss out and use lazer guns which i have to agree is weak sauce considering the nazi compromise.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Any Opening better than that awful Wolverine and the X-men opening is fine by me. Nice show, but those first 30 seconds of ever episode grated against my brain.

MastaP on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just saw Batman: Under the Red Hood. I'd like more Nightwing and more Red Hood success.

Quid on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gank wrote: »

Yeah the Avengers theme is worse than the Spectacular Spider-man one for getting stuck in your head.

Also regarding guns vs nazis: in the episode set in 1943 with the howlers Hydra used a machine gun turret with real live bullets, but otherwise they still wuss out and use lazer guns which i have to agree is weak sauce considering the nazi compromise.

Zemo used a gun (lazer free) in the most recent episode. At least we're getting bullets in moderation :winky:

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man.

Considering the guns all seem to shoot laser beams, even back in the 40's, I don't think it was that great of a compromise.

The guns in the 40's are in fact shooting bullets, as were the helicopter guns firing at he Hulk

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    man.

The guns in the 40's are in fact shooting bullets, as were the helicopter guns firing at he Hulk

I guess I'd need to rewatch the episode, but I recall the guns just making typical tracer fire and zappy noises.

Oh wait, I see what happened. They were using futuristic high ROF guns in the Captain America flashback last episode. That threw me off because they make futuristic noises rather than blams.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Just saw Batman: Under the Red Hood. I'd like more Nightwing and more Red Hood success.

I just saw that too thanks to netflix streaming. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did, probably one of my fave dc animated movies so far, though I haven't seen the Wonder Woman one.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »

I just saw that too thanks to netflix streaming. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did, probably one of my fave dc animated movies so far, though I haven't seen the Wonder Woman one.

I guess I'm gonna be the rebel and say I didn't like the Wonder Woman movie. I love most of DC's stuff, but that just did not do it for me.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »

I guess I'm gonna be the rebel and say I didn't like the Wonder Woman movie. I love most of DC's stuff, but that just did not do it for me.

Also watched this last night with netflix stream, it was pretty good. The chase/fight sequences were great, although a few of the speeches between the characters were a bit much. Also, I didn't care for chatty Nightwing, even if it was NPH - felt like Spider-Man to me. I wish that Marvel would do more serious animation stuff.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't care for Joker in Under the Red Hood but otherwise it was pretty good.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Batman Live event coming to UK and US next year

Nothing will beat the Batman & Robin watershow spectacular at various Six Flags amusement parks back in the late 90's. They had Bat-sea-doos!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sounds like DC trying to do their own 'Turn off the Dark' just in case it somehow becomes a smash. I mean, this will have singing in it, right? Otherwise what's the point of doing it live?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Supposed description of Green Lantern trailer

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/mrdcuniverse/news/?a=25033

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, I didn't care for chatty Nightwing, even if it was NPH - felt like Spider-Man to me.

Dick Grayson is the original chatty teenage superhero

but it probably felt like Spider-Man to you because Neil Patrick Harris has voiced him before

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Batman Live event coming to UK and US next year

Nothing will beat the Batman & Robin watershow spectacular at various Six Flags amusement parks back in the late 90's. They had Bat-sea-doos!

Just got my tickets - right down the front in the limited edition 'Gotham City' seats! £100 paid and a 9 month wait! Woooo tickets - Boooooo wait :(

iMatt on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Superman/Shazam looks pretty cool.

Munch on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I saw that in the shop when I picked up my books over the weekend

I didn't even know it was in the pipeline

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Also, I didn't care for chatty Nightwing, even if it was NPH - felt like Spider-Man to me.

Dick Grayson is the original chatty teenage superhero

but it probably felt like Spider-Man to you because Neil Patrick Harris has voiced him before

I remember he was as Robin, but I thought that he wasn't so much as Nightwing, maybe my memories of B:TAS is skewed. NPH voiced him in the most recent Spider-Man video game and also a short lived animated series. It was just difficult not picturing it.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Todays episode of the Avengers was alright, but suffered too much from the fact that, had Stark at ANY POINT just explained himself to either Simon or Hank, the fight would have ended, or just never happened in the first place. Seriously Stark, you fought the guy for at least ten minutes: you couldn't croak out the words "I bought your company to save it, I want to work WITH you." while he was kicking your ass?

Also, this is like the THIRD fucking time we've gotten a scene where someone goes on a crazy attack-fest, someone else manages to engage them in a conversation and pause the fight, and a third person uses the opportunity to take a sucker punch. Seriously, the Avengers are either some super cheap bastards, or just plain can't read situations worth a shit.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ya didn't live up to lat week's, but still good and cameo filled, my main beef was Modok's voice ( and what his acronym stood for)

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thor was great this episode, but Tony was being a silly goose.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thor has been pretty cool so far, generally just being heroic and kicking ass.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thor's and Wasp's reactions to MODOK were pretty fucking funny. Great episode, can't compare to the Justice League yet, but maybe in time...

I agree about MODOK's voice, I didn't like it, but besides that MODOK was done pretty well. Creepy, evil, and goofy all at once. Can't wait to see more of him.

Wishpig on

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ya didn't live up to lat week's, but still good and cameo filled, my main beef was Modok's voice ( and what his acronym stood for)

What did his acronym stand for?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    M.O.D.O.K. = Mobile Organism Designed Only for Killing

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    M.O.D.O.K. = Mobile Organism Designed Only for Killing

M.O.D.O.K. stands for Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing, but in the cartoon it stands for Mental Organism Designed Only for Conquest. But that's not anything new, he's been called that for a few years now in most all-ages Marvel productions. He's called that in Marvel Adventures Avengers, and he was called that when he showed up in Iron Man Armored Adventures.

I loved the voice too, sounded like a Toad doing it's best impression of Microsoft SAM

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm not a huge Iron-Man fan, but goddammit, I'm sick of him getting his ass kicked in everything. From the comics to the TV show... he needs to have more kick-ass moments.

I have a feeling Iron-Man, Antman, and the Wasp will spend the majority of Earth's mightiest beaten to pulps. Lol, I think the Wasp wins the award for most times knocked the fuck out though. Last week Capt. America needed to throw himself infront of an explosion to save her, now Thor needed too. We need Ms. Marvel to score some points for the ladies!

And the more Ms. Marvel fat jokes the better. I find those funny as fuck.

Wishpig on

• Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    backwards thats codom. Young sleuths everywhere will have mental scars

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    6 women enter, 4 leave sad

Nolan has 6 womens lined up for two roles in Batman Rising, one the love interest, the other a possible villain. They be:

Rachel Weisz
    Naomi Watts
    Blake Lively
    Natalie Portman
    Anne Hathaway
    Keira Knightley

Lively, can't see that since she's in GL (same thing with Portman and Thor). Hathaway would be nice to see as the villain because she never plays a bad girl. And maybe Weisz?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cast Portman as the villain. Gary Oldman owes her payback in a big way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKjJKbgqf2A

Robos A Go Go on