As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Neptune's Pride] Here there be graphs

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmm? That's the summary of everything for the last 7 days. You just click on someone, then click the "view last 7 days" link below the comparison of their stats to yours.

edit: Preview is a good thing to do.

On the other hand, that begs the question - which of our future victims is Austin?

edit 2: I bet he's "Awesome" (purple)

Darian on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Hmm? That's the summary of everything for the last 7 days. You just click on someone, then click the "view last 7 days" link below the comparison of their stats to yours.

On the other hand, that begs the question - which of our future victims is Austin?

I don't know. It is really regrettable that he didn't let us know right off of the bat, because all of the schemes we've been plotting. You know how many irons we got in the fire, Austin?
    Some to most of the irons.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Hmm? That's the summary of everything for the last 7 days. You just click on someone, then click the "view last 7 days" linhttp://forums.penny-arcade.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=17222885k below the comparison of their stats to yours.

edit 2: I bet he's "Awesome" (purple)

I do feel pretty foolish, given that I didn't match Darian had the same name in game as on the forums.

I'm not sure if I should tell you which one I am.Then again, given that I know for sure who two of you are, and that this is my very first game, so at no point did I think I was going to be winning anything....

I'm Ace. Dark Blue.

AustinP0027 on
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have a private game nearly full, 6 out of 7.

*Plentiful resources
    *Shorter home planet distances
    *All tech bumped up to level two

http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game=13906279

Passwords Sherlock

Gene Parmesan on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm glad to see this is starting to catch on with people. :D

Henroid on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmm, Mr. Ace McCloud and I have bumped into each other a couple of times. Do you want to join the GRAND ALLIANCE?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited November 2010
    Sure do.

Given everything I've read about the need for diplomacy, I was actually already sort of planning of leaving a small gap at the bottom of my stars for you to reach the rest of the galaxy through. That way, I wasn't blocking you from getting anywhere else. Also, it left me an out with possibly offering up an alliance with you where I guarded a majority of one of your fronts.

Either way, yes, I'd love to jump in and help PA stomp the rest of the galaxy (even knowing that puts me as probably the first in line when it's just us PA folks left). And, as I stated above, I'll leave a gap at the bottom of my stars so you have a path out of your space if needed. I have no idea if Purple is one of you guys, so I didn't know if you'd want to destroy them first.

AustinP0027 on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Purple is not one of us and I plan to eradicate him. If you want to work with Darian to the west, I will gladly work on swarming purple.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited November 2010
    Sounds like a plan.

I'll focus on Yellow, keeping him from coming at you and letting you take care of purple.

Continue to take the small sliver of stars below my area, however. I don't want to block you off from the rest of the stars (you know, so you don't have to attack me to get by), but I'll keep yellow from taking any of those.

AustinP0027 on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oooh, Drama in the Sombrero Galaxy!

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was just coming here to report on that, too.

Without giving too much away, it very much seems like while formal alliances are off, there remains some fairly solid alliances nonetheless, and they're all preparing to duke it out.

Exciting times!

Imperfect on
  • LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So yeah Henroid, now I believe would be a good time to post another "Sombrero Galaxy" update for anyone watching... Since it seems that a war is starting down south, it'd be nice to have a "before" and an "after" - before someone loses too many planets...

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
    edited November 2010
    Would anyone be interested in a game with

*Close distances
    *All starting tech set at 4
    *Plentiful resources
    *500 starting cash
    *Paydays twice a day

Lemme know and if people are interested I'll set a game up for this forum only.

Gene Parmesan on
  • CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Would anyone be interested in a game with

*Close distances
    *All starting tech set at 4
    *Plentiful resources
    *500 starting cash
    *Paydays twice a day

Lemme know and if people are interested I'll set a game up for this forum only.
    I haven't played anything other than free yet, but I'd love to sink my teeth into something more exciting.

I have pretty open availability. What time (in what time zone) would you be starting the game?

Unrelated question, i'm about to start an assault. If I take over a planet do I inherit all that planet's qualities (econ, industry, science, etc)? Or do they return to 0?

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Oooh, Drama in the Sombrero Galaxy!

Yeah that's one way to put it. :D Update screen incoming shortly.

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    Cunty wrote: »
    Unrelated question, i'm about to start an assault. If I take over a planet do I inherit all that planet's qualities (econ, industry, science, etc)? Or do they return to 0?

You inherit Industry and Science. Economy is reset to 0 but you get 10$ per lost economy point.

LordGravewish on
    edited November 2010
    Yesterday:
    np20101107.jpg

Today:
    np20101108.jpg

Here's the public information:

Yellow says something that insinuates at a battle starting, which implies cyan. Blue insinuates that I am also attacking him, and then expands that to dark red. Blue also makes a plea for everyone to attack red, dark red, and yellow, believing an alliance to be in place. As you can see in this screenshot, so far it looks like the only attacks going on are blue and cyan fighting yellow.

From the talk in the game, blue and cyan seem to be talking up their game but the actual star loss on yellow's part from the screen above is fairly minimal all things considered.

Meanwhile the rest of us seem to be at peace, unshifting in stars grabbed and such.

Henroid on
  • CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cunty wrote: »

You inherit Industry and Science. Economy is reset to 0 but you get 10$ per lost economy point.

Thanks! Is there any other information like this that isn't obvious, but important?

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
    edited November 2010
    There is no peace, only idle time between war. :)

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Blue is accusing me of misinformation in the above update. It is information people can see in-game from looking at the star field and chat box. That's about it. You're welcome to post evidence, blue. And I mean here. If anything what we can see is cyan aggressively expanding east. And purple and green have some starfield left to claim.

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    Well, we can see Cyan moving east, blue moving east too, but into Yellow and Cyan's shit.

It's also worth noting that Blue is in the lead currently, which is traditionally a bad place to be in these games.

NOBODY trusts the guy in the lead.

Imperfect on
    edited November 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Well, we can see Cyan moving east, blue moving east too, but into Yellow and Cyan's shit.

It's also worth noting that Blue is in the lead currently, which is traditionally a bad place to be in these games.

NOBODY trusts the guy in the lead.

Yeah, that's why I bet that blue will be gone from the game pretty soon. Even tough that since there's no official alliances this time, it's harder to convince everyone to get into a full-blown manhunt for the "currently most powerful alliance in-game"... So that's an advantadge for them.

I'm thinking that no matter which side wins the current war, everyone else is going to need to get into an alliance to have any actual chance of surviving against them.

Interesting fact: Yellow was previously in the lead, and he's losing planets quite fast... Now it's Blue's turn I guess.

Also, is it just me, or are Light Green and Pink having a fight? I just noticed right now looking at the images posted by Henroid.

LordGravewish on
    edited November 2010
    Now do you see the appeal of not having official alliances, and how strong the political side of the game is?

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    Christ, I should be taking minimap shots every few hours (or write some sort of script to do so for me). This is priceless info.

Imperfect on
    edited November 2010
    Someone mentioned interest in a double-pay game, and I just wanted to throw in my two cents; that's a no-go for me. Seeing as I like, work for a living without constant access to the game, slower paced games (which make them more intense, as we've found out today) allow me to actually participate.

Henroid on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am down for a double speed game. Not because I think I'll have all the time and attention to wreck that game, but because I am curious to see how satisfying it could be to not have to wait a day for a new tech.

Lux on
    edited November 2010
    Cool, send me a pm if you're up for it. I think around 4 or 5 for double speed, more if more people sign up.

Gene Parmesan on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Now do you see the appeal of not having official alliances, and how strong the political side of the game is?

Still my least favorite part. I just don't have whatever natural inclination to conspire.

I wonder what the average number of private messages per day, per player, are sent?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2010
    I don't have the natural inclination to conspire as well, but this game kinda forces it on you.

Henroid on
  • Tuba DanTuba Dan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm really liking the game, even though I started off having no idea what I was doing and only slowly am I now catching up. The slower paced game works well, as I don't have that much time to check anyway.

Tuba Dan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Glad you like it Tuba. Hopefully you haven't been screwed too badly by not knowing what to do exactly as priority.

TIME FOR THE DAILY UPDATE with public annotations <_<

Oh wait the site seems to be broken. O_o

Henroid on
  • joemunkehjoemunkeh Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am currently in the sombrero galaxy, it may look like star counts are high but those "in the lead" still have relatively low Economy and Industry compared to said counts, lower than those with less stars, so in reality they are very close in ship count, tech, and money to everyone else. Fending anyone off isnt too hard as most of us are about even! or even stronger than they are

joemunkeh on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2010
    Star count doesn't mean shit if you don't have much on those stars to defend or make them worthwhile, yeah. A massive star-grab doesn't mean anything if you're committing resources to your military assault instead of development.

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    Yesterday:
    np20101108.jpg

Today:
    np20101109.jpg

Purple and Green clearly have yet to claim stars technically intended for part of their initial empires. Blue and Cyan's momentum on yellow is meshing together and Yellow is already taking back some territory to the east. Dark Red and Red have claimed a little of Blue's territory. Pink and Lime appear to be trading blows.

No publicly available activity from White, Purple, Brown, Green, or Orange.

In the chat, Cyan and Yellow are arguing or something and I didn't even bother reading it. Sheesh. <_<

Henroid on
  • Work SafeWork Safe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So let's say I am 50% finished with upgrading weapons (with say, 300 experience completed) If someone gifts me the weapon tech I was teching towards, what happens? Does the "progress" go towards the next level, or do I start at 0 experience of the gifted tech.

Also, on a side note. To me, it's totally cool if we're allies and we're going in to attack the same guy together and you happen to attack me from behind. That's cool. But when you say you're going to trade tech, and I send mine and you don't send yours, that's fucking low.

Work Safe on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Work Safe wrote: »
    So let's say I am 50% finished with upgrading weapons (with say, 300 experience completed) If someone gifts me the weapon tech I was teching towards, what happens? Does the "progress" go towards the next level, or do I start at the level of the gifted tech.

Also, on a side note. To me, it's totally cool if we're allies and we're going in to attack the same guy together and you happen to attack me from behind. That's cool. But when you say you're going to trade tech, and I send mine and you don't send yours, that's fucking low.

The experience is wiped out and you start from 0 at the next level.

Lux on
    edited November 2010
    But when you say you're going to trade tech, and I send mine and you don't send yours, that's fucking low.

That's how I figure out who my absolute enemies are, and I agree.

Henroid on
    edited November 2010
    Try hitting the refresh box in the bottom left of the game interface, see if that does anything for you.

Henroid on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I was just surprised at the issue not popping up at all until now.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    But when you say you're going to trade tech, and I send mine and you don't send yours, that's fucking low.

That's how I figure out who my absolute enemies are, and I agree.

Got paranoid and just ran through all my events again to make sure I hadn't forgotten to send tech back to someone. Don't want to be an unintentional asshole. :)

Looks like Pink has stealthily picked up some extra stars since Henroid's last update as well.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg