As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 11/3: If you can't beat the Joker at cards he'll BURY YOU ALIVE!!!

Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Graphic Violence
Well, with the return of Bruce Wayne we see that the Hurt guy is still being quite dickish, Pennyworth is in trouble, Dick was shot in the head, and there's an airborne drug epidemic in Gotham. But strangely enough, along with our own assembled cast of heroes in this week's Batman and Robin . . .
The Joker continues to play a confusing hand of murderous heroics seeing as how he just can't be a good Joker without the original Batman. So Hurt and Bruce go at it, with punching and megalomaniacle laughter being exchanged between the two, but he has to choose to either save Alfred or persue Hurt. But it's okay, Joker's got this.
Joker.jpg
Joker2.jpg

I thought during Morrison's run he portrayed the Joker in the absence of Bruce Wayne brilliantly. The Joker just can't be the villain we all know without his goody-gothic counterpart to match himself against. And it manifested itself perfectly in Morrison's adaptation of the character. However, with Bruce's return we'll probably see the return of a more traditional Joker.

But it just doesn't feel like a true return for Bruce Wayne . . . something's missing.
Joker3.jpg
Ahhhh, there it is.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
Witch_Hunter_84 on

• MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, with the return of Bruce Wayne we see that the Hurt guy is still being quite dickish, Pennyworth is in trouble, Dick was shot in the head, and there's an airborne drug epidemic in Gotham. But strangely enough, along with our own assembled cast of heroes in this week's Batman and Robin . . .
    The Joker continues to play a confusing hand of murderous heroics seeing as how he just can't be a good Joker without the original Batman. So Hurt and Bruce go at it, with punching and megalomaniacle laughter being exchanged between the two, but he has to choose to either save Alfred or persue Hurt. But it's okay, Joker's got this.
    Joker.jpg
    Joker2.jpg

I thought during Morrison's run he portrayed the Joker in the absence of Bruce Wayne brilliantly. The Joker just can't be the villain we all know without his goody-gothic counterpart to match himself against. And it manifested itself perfectly in Morrison's adaptation of the character. However, with Bruce's return we'll probably see the return of a more traditional Joker.

But it just doesn't feel like a true return for Bruce Wayne . . . something's missing.
    Joker3.jpg
    Ahhhh, there it is.
    That's Dick. Note the belt

MastaP on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Really? I honestly can't tell. Maybe the fact they had two artists on this issue it makes it hard to differentiate.
    Also Dick had passed out from being shot I think, but he could've possibly made it to the cemetary on time.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited November 2010
    Really? I honestly can't tell. Maybe the fact they had two artists on this issue it makes it hard to differentiate.
    Also Dick had passed out from being shot I think, but he could've possibly made it to the cemetary on time.
    True, but that's Dick's belt. Bruce's has the clasp

MastaP on
    edited November 2010
    tasm647044.jpg
    Moment of my week right here

MastaP on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    tasm647044.jpg
    Moment of my week right here

Sweet jesus that is glorious, where did you find it?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited November 2010
    This Week's issue of ASM

MastaP on
  • weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't ever threaten an Osborn at his own damn party.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nope, it's Bruce, Irving draws him with the same clasp, if you look at the page where he saves Alfred.

Lux on
    edited November 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    Nope, it's Bruce, Irving draws him with the same clasp, if you look at the page where he saves Alfred.

Hmm, yeah, I think you're right actually

MastaP on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think Frazier Irving draws my favorite Joker right now.

Lux on
    edited November 2010
    This Week's issue of ASM

That too was pretty awesome, but I was forced to choose.

forced

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SPACE VOODOO

Algertman on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    All of Invincilbe was Holy Shit for me.

Also read through all of the seventh "The Boys" trade, and oh man this series is not going to end well. I mean for the characters, that the overall writing.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Say what you will about Joker but he is a class act

Batman and Robin spoilers
    Killing Hurt in the exact same death trap Hurt intended for Bruce back in RIP.

Nice

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    B&R 16 was fantastic stuff

But there isn't enough love for this week's issue of Taskmaster.

Red Shirt the Uber-Henchman!

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe my perceptions are just out of whack, but did Batman punch the Joker's head clean off in that one?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited November 2010
    No, just really REALLY hard.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just got vol. 1 of Promethea from Amazon. Liking this a lot so far.

desc on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My moment of the week was finally buying the war of kings books (including war of kings warriors and the guardians of the galaxy tie in issues).

Read them all in the course of two days, lots of great moments and some sad ones. :(

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did you read the Nova tie-in as well?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Did you read the Nova tie-in as well?

Nova is one of the few series I keep track of so I've had the war of kings nova book for awhile now

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did Joker dose Hurt with some venom there, or is he just getting his rictus on?

Also,
    I feel like I've missed a crucial yet elementary detail. Does Joker know Bruce's identity now?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    143999 wrote: »

Also,
    I feel like I've missed a crucial yet elementary detail. Does Joker know Bruce's identity now?

Yes and yes

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    143999 wrote: »

Also,

Yes and yes
    So he buried an immortal (or at least nearly so, right?) with a broken neck and demonic ties after dosing him with Joker venom. Sounds like a good way to plant afar-flung future Jokeric Barbatos-analogue.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Joker definitely knows Bruce is Batman, he just don't give a fuck

Furu on
    edited November 2010
    I don't think Joker would find it very funny if Bruce's identity became public knowledge. Right now he sees himself as being "in on the Joke" in a way and if someone like the Riddler or Mr. Freez tried to out Bruce then Joker would probably move against them to keep the whole thing interesting.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited November 2010
    I don't think Joker would find it very funny if Bruce's identity became public knowledge. Right now he sees himself as being "in on the Joke" in a way and if someone like the Riddler or Mr. Freez tried to out Bruce then Joker would probably move against them to keep the whole thing interesting.

That's pretty much what happened when Hugo Strange tried to auction off Batman's identity in the 70's

MastaP on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Furu wrote: »

Actually, he does. If you read the last arc of Batman and Robin, Joker pretty much comes out and says he can't be the Joker without Bruce as Batman. Grayson as Batman just isn't the same to him, and if Bruce isn't going to be Batman, then the Joker will have to be a 'hero' just to keep things entertaining.

I think the Joker actually cares so much for Bruce being in the Cowl that he'll do whatever he has to in order to keep Bruce in it.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Actually, he does. If you read the last arc of Batman and Robin, Joker pretty much comes out and says he can't be the Joker without Bruce as Batman. Grayson as Batman just isn't the same to him, and if Bruce isn't going to be Batman, then the Joker will have to be a 'hero' just to keep things entertaining.

I think the Joker actually cares so much for Bruce being in the Cowl that he'll do whatever he has to in order to keep Bruce in it.

Not to mention in RIP when he unmasked in front of The Joker and all of the Black Glove.

There's also a scene from A Death In the Family where The Joker pauses, stares at Bruce, then walks away laughing.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited November 2010

No, the Joker cares that the person he knows as Batman is really Batman, but he doesn't care about their real name, or who they are outside of the mask. Because that's not Batman, and it's not part of the game.

MastaP on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

No, the Joker cares that the person he knows as Batman is really Batman, but he doesn't care about their real name, or who they are outside of the mask. Because that's not Batman, and it's not part of the game.

I would also assume that to Joker, Bruce Wayne is not the real person. The real person is Batman.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2010
    Had a chance to power through the tpbs of the rest of Promethea. Wow.

Have not fully digested how good it was. Reminds me of being all excited about the mythology in Sandman back in the 90s, same kind of "everything and two kitchen sinks and ceremonial magic" going on, but grounded in what starts out as a super-hero-y story.

Damn.

Gotta get the Absolute editions that are out thus far once I have the dollars.

desc on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm not sure if I've fully formulated an opinion on Promethea, but I will tell you this: that scene where they're walking around on the Mobius Strip rent my fucking mind.

Delduwath on
    edited November 2010
    oh man, talking about the conversations they're overhearing from the opposite side

yyyyyeaaaahhhh booooyyyyyeeeee

desc on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just picked up the past month of comics, so I have no idea where this falls. Still.

Breathable Air.
    Un-Breathable Air.
    Breathable Air.
    Un-Breathable Air.

projectmayhem on
    edited November 2010
    That's the current week, we're already gushing about it in MotW 11/10.

Witch_Hunter_84 on