As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is it time for SSX 6? Somebody better think so! Show your SSX love!

1234568»

• Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was a huge fan of SSX3 and On Tour. I had played SSX 1, but never Tricky...i don't know. It just happened.

Glad to see this thread gain some more steam.

I hope to hear some truth about Criterion's involvement. If you figure out how awesome the graphics were in Burnout Paradise, applied to a mountain - it'll be breathtaking.

Hawk on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Eurogamer has a good, if somewhat short, retrospective of SSX 3 up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ssx-3-retrospective

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also, I need to get the SSX Tricky soundtrack SO BADLY. Mostly so I can listen to it while 'boarding in meatspace as well.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    Criterion + SSX would be hotttt

But I hear that Criterion is developing the next Need for Speed.

Which is it!?

theyre definitely doing need for speed.

but i really hope theyre doing a new SSX game too, because a new SSX game would be hot shit.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Updated OP for latest news.

Hawk on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hawk wrote: »
    I hate hate hate resurrecting this.

But there are big rumors that we might see become truth at E3 that Criterion has been working on a new SSX!

This doesn't excite me, personally, because given the direction Burnout Paradise went, it's likely they'd want to go in the direction of SSX3, which I didn't like at all after loving Tricky.

I'm a big fan of the Burnout series in general, but I don't like Burnout Paradise.

The only thing that will give me any hope of a new SSX game is them saying they'll model it after Tricky and not 3. Consider me skeptical otherwise.

No. This is bad and you should feel bad.

Tricky has not aged well. Period.

It's just flat-out corny nowadays. SSX3 still holds up that crystal-cool without the IN-YO-FACE attitude that was so fucking annoying when it came to Tricky.

Just accept that 3 was the better product. It really was, in every shape and form. Take off those nostalgia glasses and cope with the facts son.

Godfather on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Hawk wrote: »
    I hate hate hate resurrecting this.

But there are big rumors that we might see become truth at E3 that Criterion has been working on a new SSX!

This doesn't excite me, personally, because given the direction Burnout Paradise went, it's likely they'd want to go in the direction of SSX3, which I didn't like at all after loving Tricky.

I'm a big fan of the Burnout series in general, but I don't like Burnout Paradise.

The only thing that will give me any hope of a new SSX game is them saying they'll model it after Tricky and not 3. Consider me skeptical otherwise.

No. This is bad and you should feel bad.

Tricky has not aged well. Period.

It's just flat-out corny nowadays. SSX3 still holds up that crystal-cool without the IN-YO-FACE attitude that was so fucking annoying when it came to Tricky.

Just accept that 3 was the better product. It really was, in every shape and form. Take off those nostalgia glasses and cope with the facts son.

You can call it whatever you like.

I loved Tricky. Probably put over a hundred hours into it.

I played a few hours of SSX3 before I got bored with it.

I'd personally rather them model it after the game I liked rather than the game I didn't like. Crazy, I know.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Come on, i'm just razzin' ya man :P

To each his own!

Godfather on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Come on, i'm just razzin' ya man :P

To each his own!

Weird, guess I missed the tone of that post totally. It's why written communication is difficult at times.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    People hated SSX3?

How?

It was pretty much Tricky plus an open world.

honestly the open world was probably the biggest reason I didn't like it

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    People hated SSX3?

How?

I loved the environments in the game. The one true flaw with the game though was they made each charactor not realy matter all that much. Unlike the previous enstalments everyone started with there stats at zero thus realy not making kaori look any better than anyone else for tricks. Also I can understand making the move list customizable but having everyone able to use the same uber tricks just dosn't seem right. Tricky had it right where all my friends picked the charactor they thought was cool/fun not who had the shortest uber trick.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man, that open world was great, I don't know what you guys were on.

Easily the best part of that game.

Godfather on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    These resurrection rumors had better come true, lest I raze some buildings over Hawk toying with my emotions. :cry:

I fall on the SSX 3 side versus Tricky, but honestly for me it's like trying to decide between peanut butter or chocolate, and I'll gladly take either one. Especially if Criterion does it, though oddly enough I preferred Burnout Revenge's linear structure versus Paradise's open-world nature. I think the reason I like SSX 3 more is because of the trancey, slick, Euro-cool electronica vibe.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, i'm gonna say that's a big factor as well

Stuff like this works so well coasting down the backcountry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPG6OQy2iwI

Godfather on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Malechai wrote: »
    People hated SSX3?

How?

I loved the environments in the game. The one true flaw with the game though was they made each charactor not realy matter all that much. Unlike the previous enstalments everyone started with there stats at zero thus realy not making kaori look any better than anyone else for tricks. Also I can understand making the move list customizable but having everyone able to use the same uber tricks just dosn't seem right. Tricky had it right where all my friends picked the charactor they thought was cool/fun not who had the shortest uber trick.

I actually liked that the characters didn't have a set specialty that would stay with them throughout the game, and that I could basically choose whichever character I wanted to play as (MOBY!) and wasn't penalized. If Kaori and Mac were the only ones who were trick oriented while Elise and Moby were more speed oriented, everyone would play as the first two.

I may be in the minority, but I like when how a racer/car/kart looks isn't tied to how it moves/drives. I don't want to have to choose an ugly car just because it handles the best.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Though I waver between Tricky and SSX3, the first track that I always think of as soon as I read "SSX" is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoV9d9y-DdQ

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh oh, DREAMS CRUSHED

I wrote @CriterionGames about the SSX rumors:

@HawkxSx False I'm afraid. We're doing this thing called Need for Speed. It's all about tarmac not snow. We just dig SSX for fun...

Hawk on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    EA would be silly to not put out another SSX game. The last decent snowboarding game was what...Amped 3?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    haven't played them, but weren't the shaun white games supposed to be pretty good?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I loved Amped 3.

Shaun White (I've heard) is a terrible game.

Looks as if STOKED BIG AIR EDITION is the best way to go.

Hawk on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    haven't played them, but weren't the shaun white games supposed to be pretty good?

I watched a gameplay video and it seemed pretty much like Tony Hawk but snowboarding.

MEH.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    See, I thought that Criteron was working on another old license...

Road Rash.

But yeah, we need another over the top snowboarding game that's actually fun

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That Road Rash game got cancelled, but hot damn that demo was amazing looking.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I actually bought STOKED BIG AIR EDITION a month or so ago: TERRIBLE TERRIBLE game. Worst $20 i've spent in a while. It's realistic like skate, but harder than that. I couldn't get out of the tutorial.

Also, PAX is coming up - doubt we'll hear any news on it....maybe it's a pipe dream.

Hawk on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's not much, but it's something:

SSX: Deadly Descent URL Registered

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man I hope if it is a new game it's not some kind of Wii/Motion nonsense.

Give me a huge mountain, loads of shortcuts and a good soundtrack and it's sorted.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal