As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Super Mutants and Deathclaws and Geckos OH MY

• Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Any advice for the best ending to shoot for on a goody two shoes character?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GaryO wrote: »
    so apparently using explosives during the final battle is bad, ncr troopers keep getting in the way and getting themselves blown up so now they all hate me. im on your side fuckwits!

Disguises are incredibly effective during the final battle. Get away from your NCR backup, throw on a Legion disguise, and merrily walk up to the Legate.
    Any advice for the best ending to shoot for on a goody two shoes character?

Every ending is "good", since one of the slides remarks on your character's karma. What do you believe in, civilization at any cost? Independence? A stable economy and growth? They all have positives and negatives, there's no "good" ending. You have to decide what you believe in.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is no ideal ending for a goody two shoes character, depending on skills (and your decisions) you can make quite a few endings considerably better/worse. The only one that probably comes off in dead last is obviously siding with the Legion.

Edit: Disguises are immensely useful if used correctly. The amount of bases I've cleared at ridiculously low levels in this game with a disguise is amazing.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    New Vegas just updated (via steam). I'm kind of afraid to run the game now :/

Galielmus on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish they would update the 360 version, cause I'm not starting my second character until they do.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    New Update just out

Fallout: New Vegas - Version 1.1.1
    Companions now show up as waypoints on the map
    Companions will always fast travel with you, unless told to wait or sent away
    Fix: DLC error/save corruption
    Fix: Stuttering with water effects
    Fix: Severe performance issues with DirectX.
    Fix: Controls temporarily disabled after reloading Cowboy Repeater while crouched
    Fixed crash using the Euclid C-Finder while having the Heave Ho perk
    Fix: Entering the strip after Debt Collector causes crash and autosave corruption
    Fix: Using Mojave Express dropbox can cause DLC warnings
    Fixed crash when buying duplicate caravan cards from a vendor in a single transaction
    Crafting menu should filter valid (bright) recipes to the top of the list
    Fix: Sitting down while looking down a weapon's ironsights leaves player control locked
    Fix: If a companion is knocked unconscious with broken limbs they stay broken on respawn
    Fix for varmint night scope effect persisting in kill cam
    Fix for giving companions armor that adds STR does not increase their carry weight
    Fix NPC Repair menu displays DAM as DPS
    Having NPC repair service rifle with forged receiver decreases CND

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hm... think I may have to try pulling the dll fix out and see how it runs

Maddoc on
  • Options
    OdjnOdjn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do the unarmed vats special attacks, cross and uppercut, do anything?

Odjn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Every ending is "good", since one of the slides remarks on your character's karma. What do you believe in, civilization at any cost? Independence? A stable economy and growth? They all have positives and negatives, there's no "good" ending. You have to decide what you believe in.

See, that's what I thought, and I was shooting for independence, but then I heard
    that the Wild Card ending makes things turn out pretty shitty in general for a lot of side factions and followers, etc, and generally comes off as being very anarchic, which is not really what I'm shooting for at all.

Advice/insights?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »

Do let us know; curious to see if they've removed the need for it with this patch.

(Also, what graphics card do you have?)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seems to be working a lot better

I'm still getting a little bit of frame stutter occasionally, but no more than I was still getting with the dll fix installed anyway.

EDIT: GTX 460

Maddoc on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man I hope they fix the stupid memory leak on the 360. Also, keeping ED-E from charging all around the vaults and getting itself killed when told to "wait" .

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone tell me, if you side with Mr. House what ends up happening?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just updated (should not have done that perhaps) and went to the Hidden Valley to turn in Veronica's quest. There is an essential Bark Scorpion there strangely enough. Might be a mod conflict but it wasn't present prior to the update.

Thank god its only a Bark Scorpion.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

See, that's what I thought, and I was shooting for independence, but then I heard
    that the Wild Card ending makes things turn out pretty shitty in general for a lot of side factions and followers, etc, and generally comes off as being very anarchic, which is not really what I'm shooting for at all.

Advice/insights?
    You need to help those side factions out your damn self, since nobody else is going to do it for you. The Wild Card ending is fun that way, since you do everything yourself, but the trick is you have to do everything yourself, and anything you haven't done just plain won't get done since there's not some huge government or a super-rich computer man there to take care of it in your absence.
    Machismo wrote: »
    New Vegas makes lots and lots of money, the rest of the wasteland can go fuck itself, unless they were somebody you helped, in which case they do alright. Except for the Brotherhood.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Man I hope they fix the stupid memory leak on the 360. Also, keeping ED-E from charging all around the vaults and getting itself killed when told to "wait" .

that's kind of E-DE's thing

FANFARE MUSIC GOOOO!!! *charge*

*E-DE is unconscious*

override367 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Advice/insights?
    You need to help those side factions out your damn self, since nobody else is going to do it for you. The Wild Card ending is fun that way, since you do everything yourself, but the trick is you have to do everything yourself, and anything you haven't done just plain won't get done since there's not some huge government or a super-rich computer man there to take care of it in your absence.
    Okay, that's not a problem since I've been helping out everyone I can anyway. I kinda got the impression that a lot of things go to shit in Wild Card no matter what you do, but if that's not the case then I'm all in. I just don't want it to be a "selfish" ending, because that's the complete opposite of what I'm trying to do by going independent.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Getting a lot of crashing in Mojave Outpost for some reason.

finnith on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey, so, after the patch installed, I can no longer start the game. Hitting "Play" on the launcher does nothing.

So that's pretty cool.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Advice/insights?
    Okay, that's not a problem since I've been helping out everyone I can anyway. I kinda got the impression that a lot of things go to shit in Wild Card no matter what you do, but if that's not the case then I'm all in. I just don't want it to be a "selfish" ending, because that's the complete opposite of what I'm trying to do by going independent.

Independence causes problems, yes. You don't get the support network of the NCR, but people are free and can build up their own version of civilization.

Odjn on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Advice/insights?

It is in fact a choice, not black and white.
    The independent ending does screw many things up, because by its nature it rejects the large power makers within the wastes and leaves a considerable vacuum. Not everyone turns out well for this but some people do pretty well. Nothing is black and white really, no matter what ending you take certain people get screwed more than others.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Honestly if you want the 'best' ending for the most groups
    Ally with NCR - BUT also make sure that you do enough sidequests to convince every group to ally with the NCR, so they don't get dicked over later - pretty much the only groups that get a shitty ending in this case are the Great Khans (they end up moving out of the mojave because the NCR dick them over again) and good springs (taxes suck) but generally ends up as a net good for everyone else. Note that the NCR ending has a lot of bad endings for individual groups if they don't ally with the NCR for the final battle.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Ally with NCR - BUT also make sure that you do enough sidequests to convince every group to ally with the NCR, so they don't get dicked over later - pretty much the only groups that get a shitty ending in this case are the Great Khans (they end up moving out of the mojave because the NCR dick them over again) and good springs (taxes suck) but generally ends up as a net good for everyone else. Note that the NCR ending has a lot of bad endings for individual groups if they don't ally with the NCR for the final battle.
    Not being able to even try to talk Hardin into allying with the NCR if you choose him to lead the BoS is absurd bullshit. Luckily, someone modded that option into the game. I figure if you have a really high speech skill you should be able to get him to do it.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    Not being able to even try to talk Hardin into allying with the NCR if you choose him to lead the BoS is absurd bullshit. Luckily, someone modded that option into the game. I figure if you have a really high speech skill you should be able to get him to do it.
    I thought he just really hated the NCR. I don't see any problem with that

Also, it seems that random creatures are marked essential for me. I have so far seen an essential Bloatfly and and essential Bark Scorpion. Hopefully the bug is limited to weaker monsters.

finnith on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    Draper wrote: »
    I thought he just really hated the NCR. I don't see any problem with that

Also, it seems that random creatures are marked essential for me. I have so far seen an essential Bloatfly and and essential Bark Scorpion. Hopefully the bug is limited to weaker monsters.
    Yeah, but with the amount of shit you did for him, he should at least hear you out. And if your speech skill is high enough you should be able to convince him. If I can talk the leader of the legion into abandoning an assault, I should be able to talk the guy I got elected to power into allying with the NCR.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What really pissed me off is the BoS is doomed to failure. Even in an independent wasteland they won't change their ways, so they're going to die out regardless. And there's nothing you can do.

Odjn on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »

I had installed this and went to play the game when I got told there was an update, go figure.

Debating if should keep it or not.

Cade on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I should note that anyone wanting a (rather marked) performance increase while using a 64 bit system, this still works even after the update.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Odjn wrote: »
    What really pissed me off is the BoS is doomed to failure. Even in an independent wasteland they won't change their ways, so they're going to die out regardless. And there's nothing you can do.

I think that is the idea with the BoS.
    They are ultimately in opposition to progress. Their role was essential in where they came on the scene. Much of the energy weapon technology still works is thanks to them.

They are like the monks of the middle ages, protecting knowledge through the Dark Age.

Unfortunately for them, the world moves on, and eventually, they become a road block for progress.

The BoS that went to the east coast? They are willing to break tradition to continue to serve the world. Kinda like more modern religious orders that left the cloisters to serve outside in the world.

Fundamentally, they are opposed to progress, which most of us regard as good. Am I crazy in this opinion?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

They are ultimately in opposition to progress. Their role was essential in where they came on the scene. Much of the energy weapon technology still works is thanks to them.

They are like the monks of the middle ages, protecting knowledge through the Dark Age.

Unfortunately for them, the world moves on, and eventually, they become a road block for progress.

The BoS that went to the east coast? They are willing to break tradition to continue to serve the world. Kinda like more modern religious orders that left the cloisters to serve outside in the world.

Fundamentally, they are opposed to progress, which most of us regard as good. Am I crazy in this opinion?
    I feel that you're putting entirely too much thought into this.

Their base has a self destruct button.

What do you do when you see a self destruct button?

You press it.

No exceptions.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Basil wrote: »

I feel that you're putting entirely too much thought into this.

Their base has a self destruct button.

What do you do when you see a self destruct button?

You press it.

No exceptions.

I am humbled by your logic. I stand corrected.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    <3Boom!<3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, but in the west coast, you have the followers of apocalypse, who fill a similar role to the east coast BoS, except without all the weapons.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr. House sends you out to do a few missions:
    Take care of the family in Gomorrah (forget the name, House seems neutral on the solution)
    Take care of the Boomers (House favors allying them)
    Take care of the BoS (House favors killing them)
    Preventing the assassination of the NCR president (This is skipped if you are shunned by the NCR, so there seems to be a point to siding with house and then continuing to do quests for the NCR to stay on their good side)
    Rerouting power from a generator

In the final battle you are tasked by House to install another power rerouter, then driving off the Legion, and finally forcing the NCR to surrender. If the NCR hate you then you will be fighting them from the start, otherwise you will have the option of speeching your way past the guard to complete the first objective. After that you are basically doing the exact same mission you would have been doing siding with the NCR, except at the end you are forced to either talk down or kill the general of the NCR (can be done with either speech or science, don't know if there is a difference.

So all in all Mr House is not as much against the NCR as I had feared, but he does offer them some rather uncompromising terms of surrender. It seems that as long as they are willing to step off his lawn he is prepared to live in peace.

Vic on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    what do you guys suspect is going to be the obsidian cannon ending? id suspect the ncr one, but im holding out hope for house ruling new vegas, i just think that he will be a driving force that will push technology back to where it used to be pre war.

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That is a pretty good reason for that not being the canonical ending. If House's promises were not bullshit the Fallout universe would look very different after he got to power, and I am not sure they are ready for that kind of change to their setting.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    That is a pretty good reason for that not being the canonical ending. If House's promises were not bullshit the Fallout universe would look very different after he got to power, and I am not sure they are ready for that kind of change to their setting.
    It's a 'bad' ending anyway. House doesn't care for individual humans, nor do I suspect he cares for humanity at all. Most likely his plan is designed to glorify him.

Odjn on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    House's promises of technological advancement were still decades off even in his plan though. But I do think the NCR ending will be the canon one. Though the most obvious expansion hook was in the Yes Man ending:
    when he talks about becoming more assertive. This could mean Yes Man takes over control of the securitrons, which would also possibly be compatible with the NCR ending.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think I found the huge wide open stretches of barren land some people said they wanted to see in the game...

NEWVEGASFLAT2.jpg

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    It's a 'bad' ending anyway. House doesn't care for individual humans, nor do I suspect he cares for humanity at all. Most likely his plan is designed to glorify him.
    I disagree that it is a bad ending. Depending on how you handled the NCR it can be considered at the very least a neutral one.

What changes when House comes to power? The strip is stabilized and the Mohave wasteland is secure from invasion by both the Legion and the NCR. So what does House offer?

Stability; his securitrons can enforce laws and ensure no hostile factions gain a foothold in the Mohave. No more slavers, no more raiders.
    Technological Advancement

And at what cost? There is very little that could corrupt House. He wishes to see humanity progress and New Vegas thrive, but he has few actual needs or vices. He is an authoritarian and perhaps even a fascist, but he has shown that he is not above compromise and I am pretty sure my House ending talked about how the Courier remained as a positive influence on House, ensuring that he cared for the people of the Mohave.

Vic on