As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes Universe] "HiRez Studios is the proud new owner of the Tribes franchchise"

2»

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    What what what--i played for years and the largest i've ever seen was 64vs64 and it barely ran with the lowest ping being 170. The action was also insane with 64 players as it was an almost constant stream of kills and flag rushes were things of epic tales with 4 person cap teams to pick up the flag in mid air as the other guy got blow to bits. I was the awesome bomber pilot who flew above the LoD zone and carpet bombed your vehicle area.

What game types did you play? i vaguely remember something about DM being able to host more people since its maps were much more simple. What made tribes for me was CTF and i dont think i ever played anything other then CTF.

CTF mainly for the huge player counts. It was a bit much and I didnt "prefer" that many people, but I do remember it being there as an option. Like I said it dont think it was a default option to have that many and they had stuff modded. But there were a number of servers going that high.

Hell, MAG on the PS3 does 256 players and its a console.... which just shows the bandwidth isnt the issue at all, its all about what the server can handle.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i fucking love tribes, and tribes 2. I probably had one of the most fucked up setups though, but i definitely got the job done. My usual setup was:

Light
    Spinfusor
    Shocklance
    Sniper Rifle
    Energy Backpack
    Flare Grenades

this setup made me a bitch for flag chasing and capping, and since the spinfusor was usually my only viable option for midrange combat I got damn good at hitting people mid air, my longest MA on a flag carrier was 150m, longest headshot was 900m, right when he was coming down for the cap, our chaser returned it too, that had to hurt his self esteem

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Arghy wrote: »
    What what what--i played for years and the largest i've ever seen was 64vs64 and it barely ran with the lowest ping being 170. The action was also insane with 64 players as it was an almost constant stream of kills and flag rushes were things of epic tales with 4 person cap teams to pick up the flag in mid air as the other guy got blow to bits. I was the awesome bomber pilot who flew above the LoD zone and carpet bombed your vehicle area.

What game types did you play? i vaguely remember something about DM being able to host more people since its maps were much more simple. What made tribes for me was CTF and i dont think i ever played anything other then CTF.

CTF mainly for the huge player counts. It was a bit much and I didnt "prefer" that many people, but I do remember it being there as an option. Like I said it dont think it was a default option to have that many and they had stuff modded. But there were a number of servers going that high.

Hell, MAG on the PS3 does 256 players and its a console.... which just shows the bandwidth isnt the issue at all, its all about what the server can handle.

I don't recall anyone actually having a genuine 64 player experience in Tribes 2 because when the game came out even the fastest computer couldn't put 64 characters on a screen and perform well. Many of the 64 player maps that shipped were NOT CTF maps. As I recall, most were the DnD maps (or whatever it was called in T2).

And yeah, it's not bandwidth. It's all about the server. And servers have come a long way since AMD K6-2 500Mhz

Jasconius on
  • Options
    TheRussianFunkTheRussianFunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Please oh please let this be good. I want to steal enemy jerichos JUST before they unpack and drive them around or throw a shitload of concussion grenades under it, so when the pilot gets in it it goes flying. I don't know how I feel about 64 player maps, that's gonna get awfully hectic, and it was the microcosmic 1v1's in the area between the flags that I really enjoyed. Now it'll be like a swarm of enemies coming over a hill with flight of the valkyries playing, just a discfest or mortarspam.

And if I don't get to use my shocklance, I am going to be very unhappy.

TheRussianFunk on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am looking forward to the PEWPEWPEW.

Maybe they will make GA heavier into PVE so they don't compete for the same space? Or just shut it down..... whatever.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game will fail if I am unable to blend my voice taunts together.

"I AM - HI!"

Which was usually followed by someone saying

"Haha, you are - HI!"

"When ya gunna learn? I AM - HI"

So many great times in that game. Flying a shrike around Katabatic, playing on the Houston Vehicles server...

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    good memorys haha spamming voice taunts

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The best was the Bioderm mating call. Just an endless stream of "AAAAAAAAAAH you are weAAAAAAH you are AAAAAAAAH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH AAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As one of the only people who dared play Tribes: Vengeance, I'd love to see some of the arena sports make a return from there next to the usual PvP.

That and a LookingForGroup type chat channel titled NeedABombardier.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    WraithXt1 wrote: »

"I AM - HI!"

"Haha, you are - HI!"

So many great times in that game. Flying a shrike around Katabatic, playing on the Houston Vehicles server...

Yesss, Houston Vehicles was the best server. 32 v 32 matches!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kentucky Backwoods for me. Of course that wasn't TAC. Just classic.

Straight classic, homey.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I loved everything in tribes. First RPG I ever played was Tribes RPG.

I don't know if tribes fits the whole MMO genre though.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    shit i probably played with both of you sarksus and jasconious, back in tribes 2 golden days i was playing about 12 hours a day, if not more, so its kind of hard to miss usuals on those servers, were you guys in clans? I was rolling with [DoG] (dragons of glory) back then
    Lux782 wrote: »

this too, fuck i loved tribes rpg, I am trying to remember the mod of trpg that i always played, but it heavily expanded on skills and made some map changes

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wasn't really in a clan. I posted on the official forums a lot and mostly played with them. I think I tried out for Houston Vehicle's "newbie" clan, can't remember the name. I used the name Sniphr back then.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    shit i probably played with both of you sarksus and jasconious, back in tribes 2 golden days i was playing about 12 hours a day, if not more, so its kind of hard to miss usuals on those servers, were you guys in clans? I was rolling with [DoG] (dragons of glory) back then
    Lux782 wrote: »

this too, fuck i loved tribes rpg, I am trying to remember the mod of trpg that i always played, but it heavily expanded on skills and made some map changes

Y0SHiB0Y's Unique RPG?
    Old World?
    Red Moon?
    TvT?

There are a few more but I cant remember them... I wrote a farming rpg which allowed people to select a farm area for themselves only and then grow plants. I planned to have goblins raid the farms every now and then but that never came about.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i want to say mythical realms? i really can't remember... i have the files on a cd rom laying around here somewhere but i don't really want to go digging for it

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tribes rpg <3

I spent way too much time mining in the broken castle by the 'cave base' mine outside Keldrin town until i was way overburdened. Then it was picking up and dropping the ore all the way down the hill until i could sell it.

Our server's admin would have scavenger hunts too, where he would ski off in one direction w/ admin armor, and we all had to chase him down to get the chest he'd spawn.

Light armor bots w/ their cheesy goblin skins and getting lost in the minotaur lair were good times as well.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    BEARDBEARD Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh shit are we talking about tribes RPG in here

KEEP STILL

HALT

BEARD on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think I will dig up my cd with all the trpg stuff I have on it... and maybe host a server... can you still join peoples games in the original tribes or did they kill their servers completely?

maybe I won't have to dig it up, found this site by doing a quick search, the dude is also hosting servers it seems.

http://tribesrpg.org/

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    WraithXt1 wrote: »

"I AM - HI!"

"Haha, you are - HI!"

Yesss, Houston Vehicles was the best server. 32 v 32 matches!

Oh wow, I remember close to nothing about my time with Tribes 2, but Houston Vehicles definitely raised a flag or two in the ol' memory.

Unfortunately all I remember specifically is being terrible at the game. It was my first online FPS, but that's no excuse dammit.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    just wanted to say I am hosting a mrtrpg server, if you need files or if you want my ip pm me (i'm not sure how you enter it to be honest D:) i'll leave it up for nostalgia

TheKoolEagle on