As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Art Corner Newbie Looking for a Critique!

FanshiiNanshiiFanshiiNanshii Registered User new member
edited November 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hello!
I'm new to the Art Corner, and I was hoping to get some good critiques/advice for my art. I'm in university, but when I graduate I hope to work in the video game industry as a character artist. That said, I'll need all the help I can get in regards to anatomy, clothing, and character detail.

This piece was a doodle I did at work, so it's not the best in terms of medium (read: lined paper) but I hope it's not too bad.

Thank you very much!

miranda_albred_by_octaviaflit-d32izax.jpg

FanshiiNanshii on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is actually pretty good, there are some structural issues around the head and neck and I have no idea what is going on with the hand on the shield, but overall it's a nice illustration.

It's hard to give you advice on where to push yourself off one drawing, because I have no idea what you've been studying. However if you're not doing them, some nude figure studies would certainly help you iron out some of the deficiencies that are in this drawing.

Also try to do in depth studies on singular body parts, hands, feet, lips, eyes, etc.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks!

Yeah, it wasn't until I saw it in full view that I realized her hand was all sorts of gimp. It was a little embarrassing.

I've been doing a lot of nudes lately, and it's really strengthened my torsos and legs. I still struggle with arms and hands, though.

FanshiiNanshii on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think i'll be struggling with hands till the day I die.

Mustang on
  • Options
    JbizzgongJbizzgong Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Amazing. Those mistakes are nothing to worry about, though. I mean if you want embarrassing, let's look at MY latest piece; what do we think of Fat MegaMan?
    fat_megaman_by_metroid003-d32j6f3.png

Jbizzgong on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think Fat MegaMan is cute!

FanshiiNanshii on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are you studying art at school?

It's an interesting drawing. There is some basic confidence in the execution, the kind that it seems to me is only earned through experience and enthusiasm, so it's not an ugly piece to look at, but it the fundamentals here are wobbly.

The anatomy is really questionable in some parts. The clavicle and neck area, the face is admittedly highly stylized but could use refinement, the hand near the shield is impossible to interpret.

It's obviously not a labored piece but the markmaking is really undisciplined. Some areas are basically scribbles. It's a total waste of an opportunity to describe your forms better by ignoring how you lay down the strokes-- a perfect example is how the marks on the pants diverge in straight lines away from the seam near the hips, it's almost as if the leg is two flat planes that join at the seam. A curved mark that describes the roundess of the leg would be much more descriptive of the volume there. A similar thing happening on many other parts of the armor. The strokes on the shield *are* helping describe its form but they've been put down very crudely, and the drawing of ellipses on the shield in general is a little off.

Let's see some more, and take your sketchbook to work if you have to.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    I think i'll be struggling with hands till the day I die.

Nonsense. Just become the Rob Leifeld of hands and your career will skyrocket.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but you should draw on non-lined paper. The lines cutting through your image work to flatten it so you lose any illusion of shape/depth by purely drawing on the wrong kinda paper. Even printer paper is a good step up from loose leaf for doodles but, i suppose ideally, you'd get newsprint for fast studies and sketches and a good sketch book for everything you really want to keep.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets