As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Platforming games?

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
So my HTPC is FINALLY set up in a way that allows me to easily watch films and play games, without having to faff around and reboot. I've recently discovered I only like platform games, this may seem a bit weird but out of all the games I've played it's platform games I've enjoyed the most and actually finished (at least recently).

What platforming games are good for the pc? I've been enjoying Super Meat Boy and N+ on the 360, I've finished Trine (which I loved) on PC and also just polished off Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, which I enjoyed except for the combat being a little naff.

What other gems am I missing? Balls-hard 2d indie games are welcome, as are slightly more combat orientated games like PoP (though I've finished every game in the series...even PoP3d). Old games are good too, I liked Heart of Darkness, Flashback, Another World, that kind of thing.

In general, suggest me pc games (preferably that work well with the 360 pad) that involve jumping, leaping, hanging from ledges and climbing.

Oh and feel free to discuss platforming games.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    VVVVVV

...and Earthworm Jim 1+2 for good ol' platforming goodness.

EDIT - More suggestions:

Eversion
    Abe's Oddysee/Abe's Exoddus

Catshade on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Assassin's Creed might be what you're looking for...I don't know if AC2 has come to PC yet but AC1 is a good bit of fun.

Although if you have a 360 I don't know why you wouldn't just get the 360 version at that point.

Dhalphir on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've completed AC1 on the 360 (couldn't get in to 2 for some reason), and you're right, I very much enjoyed it! Anything like that is good.

VVVVVV I've heard of and have been meaning to pick up, it looks awesome. Eversion I've never even heard of, I'll be picking that up when I get home!

Cheers folks, keep 'em coming.

Mr_Grinch on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Plain Sight is good if you like multiplayer games. Sort of like Mario Galaxy in that you're hopping around levels set in space, with gravity pulling you in to what's biggest / closest. Basically the movement alone is fun, which is always a huge plus in these games.

Bionic Commando was good fun.

Cave Story is awesome, and also freeware.

Not quite a platformer, but Aquaria is sort of like an underwater Metroidvania, so you might want to look into that as well.

subedii on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No mention of Braid 5 posts in means you are all bad people.

RoyceSraphim on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I do not understand how you can like AC1 and not like AC2.

But maybe you're just weird.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhoods is coming out in about two weeks.

Dhalphir on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not for PC it isn't.

Zxerol on
    edited November 2010
    I don't really see the difference, mechanically, between playing games on a 360 or on a PC with a 360 pad besides what games are available.

Dhalphir on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Because the thread title and OP are talking about PC platformers?

Zxerol on
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.psychonauts.com/

You can get it on steam for like 5 bucks? Maybe 10?

And its FANTASTIC.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited November 2010
    He also said feel free to refer to platform games in general.

Regardless of the OP's original question, its not too far fetched to suggest 360 games he may have missed that fit his desires *perfectly*

But this arguing is even more off-topic than the suggestion.

Mr Grinch I am really curious what it was about AC2 that made you not like it despite AC1.

Dhalphir on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NyxQuest came out for the PC a while ago, and I thought it was pretty good on WiiWare.

Super Crate Box is the shit.

Canabalt.

Gish is pretty fun.

Trine is quite good, although I never played it with a controller.

And Yet It Moves wasn't my cup of tea, but a lot of people like it.

Keep an eye on Dust Force (or try the sexcellent demo).

No links because I am lazy.

LewieP on
    edited November 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I do not understand how you can like AC1 and not like AC2.

But maybe you're just weird.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhoods is coming out in about two weeks.

I think it's the same reason why I liked The Matrix but not the sequels. I felt the first one had a decent plot, with a nice twist, it was a fairly simple but quite clever idea. Then the sequel just went absolutely crazy, took what was a good idea and made it needlessly complicated.

Also I didn't like the new character much. If I'd given it more of a chance I'd probably have loved it.

Mr_Grinch on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Duke Nukem Manhattan Project is pretty great for only $5.99. Be sure to pick up the critical patch in the GOG forums though :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    I really think you should because the gameplay is leaps and bounds better. A film only really has story going for it but AC2 is SUPER fun even without the story.

Although I thought the story was better than AC1.

Dhalphir on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Spelunky?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Spelunky?

Very yes.

LewieP on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Frogatto is a free one that I enjoyed.

Also, some games you'll encounter offer only keyboard controls, but if you haven't picked it up already you can get around that with Joy2Key.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2010
    I'm happy for 360/PS3/Wii game suggestions, it's just I'm trying to get the most out of my HTPC at the moment, especially being most console games are only 720p (and my 360 can only output 720p anyway) whereas my HTPC can do 1080p and plays games silky smooth.

Badwrong: Played through Psychonauts on the xbox, but the mere mention of it makes me want to pick it up on Steam play through it again.

I'm discarding all of Lewie's suggestions because he was too lazy to provide links (ok, I'll look them up when I'm home from work later).

Dhalphir: I may give it another shot then. I did have a bit of fun with it, after the first assasination I carried the body of my victim through the streets, occasionally dropping it to kill whatever guards showed up. Maybe not the most stealthy of victory celebrations, but it was entertaining.

Lewiep: Dustforce looks nice

Mr_Grinch on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh if you want to take advantage of superiour pc versions of multiplatform games, definately mirrors edge

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Wait, if Assassin's Creed counts, does Batman: Arkham Asylum? Or is that too heavily skewed towards action and not enough towards platforming?

Because seriously, B:AA has some pretty good use of PhysX as well.

subedii on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    N. Came out before difficult indy 2D platformers were trendy
    Plus free
    http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/

Xagarath on
    edited November 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    N. Came out before difficult indy 2D platformers were trendy
    Plus free
    http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/

The XBLA version is better though.

LewieP on
  • Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Would Portal count as a platformer? You should probably play it anyway, if you haven't already!

Apart from that, Prince of Persia Reboot and Blade Kitten are about the only two I can think of that haven't already been mentioned.

Actually, was the 2D Bionic Commando remake released on PC? That'd be a good one to try.

Quake Matt on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    There will be a Super Meat Boy out for the PC as well and I hear that there is going to be a level editor, so if you think it's worth the price again there will probably be a lot more replay value in the pc version.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://nifflas.ni2.se/

Here you go. Within A Deep Forest, Knytt and Knytt stories are all brilliant, not tried the rest.

Glal on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    In general, suggest me pc games (preferably that work well with the 360 pad) that involve jumping, leaping, hanging from ledges and climbing.

The last couple of Tomb Raiders have worked very well with the 360 pad, and Underworld in particular may as well have been titled "Hanging From Ledges: The Game of Ledge Hanging"

baudattitude on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You should play I Wanna Be The Guy, but only if you're hardcore

joshofalltrades on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The new Lara Croft game is amazing and plays better on PC.
    I know that because it's true.

and I played it on the Xbox and the PC.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Spelunky?

Very yes.

Absolutely yes.

Back to VVVVVV, it is a must-play if you are at all into tough platformers. I've never been so hilariously entertained and simultaneously frustrated. It's one of those games where you'll die five hundred times on a screen, ragequit and then within five minutes you'll be right back at it again because you just can't let it go. The soundtrack is aces too.

So yeah, like others have said, play VVVVVV.

And Spelunky. It's really great too.

I'm gonna watch this topic. I've just recently gotten into playing platformers on the PeeCee. I previously thought that platformers should stay on the consoles where they belong (PeeCee was srs and Console was totally casual) but now the Apartheid is over and I just want to play fun games where I find them. I've already grabbed Knytt, Knytt Stories, and Eversion as well but I haven't really touched them yet. Because of VVVVVV, and Spelunky. I guess I should grab Cave Story too. I have IWTBTG but I think I'm going to wait until I can grab a 360 controller before I try tackling that thing.

Drake on
    edited November 2010
    You should play I Wanna Be The Guy, but only if you're hardcore

Or just click Josh's sig because it's far more entertaining to watch someone else suffer through it than having to do so yourself.

"Nintendo hard" is freaking easy mode by comparison.

subedii on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, if you like Super Meat Boy, IWBTG is right up your alley.

And by "right up your alley," I mean "will brutally rape you," but in a good way.

freakish light on
  • symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Would something like Mirrors Edge fit the bill? It'll probably be cheap when the Steam christmas sale rolls around.

symbolsor on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cave Story isn't on the first page?

Cave Story.

Delzhand on
    edited November 2010
    Cave Story is on the first page.

Cave Story.

subedii on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dirty lies.

Glal on
  • SaltLickSaltLick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trine is pretty good and sounds like it would be worth a look. There is a demo on STEAM.

SaltLick on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Dirty lies.

What?

Yeah, there's more trial and error involved in IWBTG but it's still some pretty brutally hard platforming, even when you know what to do. My LP was my second playthrough and the death toll was still in the thousands.

joshofalltrades on
    edited November 2010
    SaltLick wrote: »
    Trine is pretty good and sounds like it would be worth a look. There is a demo on STEAM.

I enjoyed it, but the Wizard character had pretty limited utility until late in the game when you gain the ability of limited flight. Even then, I tended to use the Thief a lot of the time unless the game forced me to do otherwise by taking away all the wood surfaces, which is pretty cheap IMO.

joshofalltrades on
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    http://nifflas.ni2.se/

Here you go. Within A Deep Forest, Knytt and Knytt stories are all brilliant, not tried the rest.

Saira is pretty good, cheap, and on Steam. It has a few myst-like puzzles, though.

lyle04.png

Lyle in Cube Sector is one of my favorites. The screenshots don't really do it justice. It's a metroid-type platformer with ability upgrades that has a little bit of Rescue Rangers and Super Mario Bros 2 in it.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg