As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WE HAVE A SERVER! BUY NOW! MINECRAFT!

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    he also made a Sesame Street joke, so any haters are just clearly in the wrong.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i was really anticipating he'd start coughing at the end.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hiartbill wrote: »
    So this patch introduced some bugs:

block respawn bug: you have about a 50% chance of actually breaking a block, otherwise it just respawns! NEW FEATURE

new chunks don't load while you're in a cart, and if you hit the edge of your local neighborhood in a cart your client crashes, and you get a clone of yourself there to greet you when you log on!

The first tended to happen anyway and the second also happened if you simply walked across the map, you'd have to stand and wait for the terrain to load otherwise shit hits the fan.

theSquid on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the first would only happen with server lag and was actually mostly nonexistent before the who debacle recently

Raneados on
  • apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    notch made a poll to vote on about what gets fixed in SMP next

http://polldaddy.com/poll/4069007/

he also said the lag issue will be fixed regardless.

I voted health :3

apricotmuffins on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like health is the early favorite.

NotASenator on
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Health has about four times the number of votes that server-side inventory does.

I added my own to the choir.

Legba on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I actually said out loud "Are you fucking kidding me?" Haha. I guess I'm one of the few who wants the dupe/delete stuff fixed.

Also, forget my Vault 0 skin. I now desperately want a Commander Riker skin.

Edit: Dammit! I googled 'Minecraft Skin Riker' and this thread was the first result.

Edit2: MrMonroe, can you send me a link to your LaForge and I'll just edit it?

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited November 2010
    The dupe/delete thing hasn't affected me. I mean I'm not even 100% sure what it's referencing.

Health though is the major difference between SMP and singleplayer. Playing multiplayer doesn't carry any of the risk that singleplayer does, and so it's less "game"-y.

Legba on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I'm much more concerned about SMP actually being SMP than somebody joining the server and making osbidian penises

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Legba wrote: »
    The dupe/delete thing hasn't affected me. I mean I'm not even 100% sure what it's referencing.

Health though is the major difference between SMP and singleplayer. Playing multiplayer doesn't carry any of the risk that singleplayer does, and so it's less "game"-y.

You can dupe items in chests, no matter how much lag there is. You can also simply create any block in any amount, if you know how.

hiartbill on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In Multiplayer, any time you stick something in a chest, there's a chance it'll go poof. If you move it from one chest slot to another, there's a chance it'll either poof or doop. I've lost entire stacks of materials because of it.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    oh hey look who is back!

It's Captain Aspergers!

The mockery doesn't really seem necessary.

Especially since this guy is fucking awesome and funny and you look like a jerk now.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited November 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    So this patch introduced some bugs:

block respawn bug: you have about a 50% chance of actually breaking a block, otherwise it just respawns! NEW FEATURE

new chunks don't load while you're in a cart, and if you hit the edge of your local neighborhood in a cart your client crashes, and you get a clone of yourself there to greet you when you log on!

The first tended to happen anyway and the second also happened if you simply walked across the map, you'd have to stand and wait for the terrain to load otherwise shit hits the fan.

I never claimed the first thing didn't happen before, I claimed it happens now far more frequently, and even when you're not lagging at all in any other aspect.

The second thing isn't lag related, at all, and it's not the server being slow about loading chunks. It happens with boats, and I would assume it happens to vehicles in general (if I could control a pig, I bet it would happen with them as well). Since you obviously didn't test it yourself, here's some fun:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4872/totallylag.png - I stayed there for a bit (day turning to night and back), and then I hopped out of the boat: http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5364/ornot.png. Definitely just the server being slow about loading chunks right?

Edit: I'm sorry the pictures aren't perfectly oriented for a better effect, but I just don't care enough. If you doubt me, test it yourself.

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    In Multiplayer, any time you stick something in a chest, there's a chance it'll go poof. If you move it from one chest slot to another, there's a chance it'll either poof or doop. I've lost entire stacks of materials because of it.

You don't even need to move it from one chest slot to another :P

But yeah, I'd like it fixed. I'd also like the other hacks fixed.

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    Bill is right about the blocks thing. I logged into NaS's server to see what was happening. Sometimes you'd break a block and it would instantly poof back and not eventually vanish. It's like every block is a stair now.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well that is a nice way to fix stairs.

Just make everything else like them.

NotASenator on
    edited November 2010
    Oh, that's happened to me more than a few times. Yeah, it's pretty annoying.

Legba on
    edited November 2010
    haha, using a '\' in chat disconnects you for an illegal character

hiartbill on
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    oh hey look who is back!

It's Captain Aspergers!

Get back to me when someone's building a computer in the instance of Minecraft they have running on the computer they built in Minecratft...

'Warcraft' Sequel Lets Gamers Play A Character Playing 'Warcraft'

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What inventory editor do people usually use? I made a small program to break a 2 color picture into a set of run lengths. Example:
    D36 C2 (which would be dirt - 36, cobblestone - 2)
    D27 C2 D8 C4 (dirt - 27, cobblestone - 2, etc...)
    so I break the stacks into the proper sizes, put them in order on my hotbar, lay them down, repeat for all lines, and then remove the dirt. I want to test the speed without doing the actual mining.

jackal on
    edited November 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    What inventory editor do people usually use? I made a small program to break a 2 color picture into a set of run lengths. Example:
    D36 C2 (which would be dirt - 36, cobblestone - 2)
    D27 C2 D8 C4 (dirt - 27, cobblestone - 2, etc...)
    so I break the stacks into the proper sizes, put them in order on my hotbar, lay them down, repeat for all lines, and then remove the dirt. I want to test the speed without doing the actual mining.

INVEdit is a pretty common one.

hiartbill on
  • apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so i finished my work

and now im on the server all on my lonesome. waah

apricotmuffins on
  • animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tnt: so depressingly difficult to come by in single player

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's like

blow this up? It is literally worth more than gold

Seriously on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    But that's one positive thing about the 5 or so creepers that loiter outside my door each morning

Seriously on
    edited November 2010
    Mob factory.

Edit: Most people probably don't care to build anything on the server at the moment apricot =/ Especially because Notch just made SMP more unstable, and we won't even get our map back until tomorrow!

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    "Gunpowder, also called black powder, is a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate."

So, here's what I figure. We have charcoal (coal), we have sulfur (the yellow stuff you get from hell blocks) so all we need now is potassium nitrate (redstone?) and then we could have a better way to produce TNT. D:

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited November 2010
    I could dig a tunnel quicker than I could get the TNT, what is even the point?

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man I just finally bought this game

shit is complicated

T4CT on
  • AvetreAvetre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    "Gunpowder, also called black powder, is a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate."

So, here's what I figure. We have charcoal (coal), we have sulfur (the yellow stuff you get from hell blocks) so all we need now is potassium nitrate (redstone?) and then we could have a better way to produce TNT. D:

I don't think coal can be substituted for charcoal in gunpowder.

Avetre on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Then they could add wood in a furnace (in the top part of course) -> charcoal.

jackal on
    edited November 2010
    T4CT wrote: »

shit is complicated

bookmark this page

basically as soon as you start you want to punch some trees, make a workbench, some wooden tools, and then look for stone to make stone tools

alternatively

punch trees, make a workbench, make a boat, sail endlessly and look at all the amazing stuff

and when you finally find a spot that you just can't resist landing on and building, get blown up by a creeper and never find it again

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »

shit is complicated

bookmark this page

basically as soon as you start you want to punch some trees, make a workbench, some wooden tools, and then look for stone to make stone tools

alternatively

punch trees, make a workbench, make a boat, sail endlessly and look at all the amazing stuff

and when you finally find a spot that you just can't resist landing on and building, get blown up by a creeper and never find it again

Also, remember that the recipe you make in the crafting grid is a very rough picture of what you're making. A pickaxe, for example, looks roughly like a T, as does the recipe to make one. A box has wood on all sides, but is empty in the middle. You get the idea.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    my primary issue right now is the fact that I'm afraid of the dark and coal is a pain in the ass to find

T4CT on
    edited November 2010
    the first night is terrifying...

by the third night you're afraid of nothing

hiartbill on
    edited November 2010
    I spend all my nights now sprinting naked and unarmed across the countryside

exhilarating

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Overthinking It: What Makes Minecraft So Addictive?
    Unfortunately, when the sun sets, you’re going to be attacked by zombies. So you better start punching trees. No, it’s not just a way to relieve stress. Punching a tree creates a log block. Then you can break the log block up to make four wood blocks. Then you can take two of the wood blocks and make four stick blocks. Are you having fun yet?
    So here’s the underthought explanation for Minecraft’s success: “Clearly, people really like building things and showing them off, and Minecraft gives people the freedom to do that. Case closed.”

But then here’s my thought experiment: why would anyone choose Minecraft over Second Life?
    My point is that Minecraft’s success must be more complicated than “people like to build things,” since there are easier and more powerful ways to build things online. I think the genius of Minecraft is that it allows you to build things… but it makes it really really hard. By throwing up obstacles in the way of creativity, it makes you play longer and harder, and it makes the creativity more satisfying.

JoeUser on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like that it's like legos

skettios on
    edited November 2010
    the first night is terrifying...

by the third night you're afraid of nothing

I'm still afraid of things. Looking at my structures in SMP it's much more loose and open. In single player I build defensively, as if I am besieged and the world is dangerous. Looking at my structures in Hell it is pretty clearly made for protection.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
This discussion has been closed.