As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PTA] Team PYRE is the anime club president

Shock GShock G Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Critical Failures
"What the hell are ya doin' here, boy? Girl? Just what in the hell are ya anyway? Whatsat ya say? You mean ye're answerin' the ad? Goudon below! Now, I know it's gonna bite me in the ass, but take a seat n' listen. Ya comfortable? Now, ya see that thing to yer left? Yer left! Yeah, that thing. That right there's a pokemon, and it might not look it, but it's a powerful creature. What the hell're ya doin'! Don't go pokin' it! Ya gotta respect Pokemon, ya Wurmple-brained hooligan! That right there can be the key to yer success....

htTus.jpg

Yer favorite thievin' tool...

V51mr.png

Or yer greatest enemy...

DMTU8.jpg

Yup, that here creature is the linchpin of modern society. Why we wouldn't be able ta, listen now, we wouldn't be able ta do even half the amazing things we've done without 'em. No takin' over cities, no so-fist-eye-cated smugglin' rings, no secret criminal enterprises... all rely on the strength we get from Pokemon. They are yer key to success, and being able to use 'em means the difference between everlastin' glory...

u8Qsk.jpg

and bitter defeat...

tU6Y6.jpg

Enough about these wondrous critters, lets talk about you. I guess if yer tentacool-spined self is all I have ta work with I'll need a formal application, sent to 1887 E. Wingull Drive, Lillycove city, Hoenn, including yer skills and background. Consider this yer first assignment. Don't fail me, boy."

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?
PTA! It's like DnD if you could enslave little animu creatures!
Read this!

We have, like, a million of these damn things already!
I know, isn't it great? This game's gonna be Team WANG II: WANG harder. Only the criminal organization is gonna a little more competent. And it's in Hoenn! And I'll be bugging Rawk instead of Marsh! And this is my first time DMing anything, so I might suck! Yay?

Oooh, ooooh I have no shame and crave punishment! Can I play this thing??
Yup, post up a character and if I like the dude, you're in. Probably gonna go with 4-6, depending on how much you people impress me. And if you're already in a game, fret not! I only care if you can write well!

Applications are gonna close November 12 sometime around 12:00 PM, GMT (which is The One True Timezone).

So anything I should be aware of? Or should I just start making my Magic Pokemon Princess-Bishonen?
I'm cool with almost anything, as long as you can shoehorn it into the story. However, here are
some good guidelines to follow:
  • Trainers should be around 18+. Down to 15 is possible, but you gotta be a highschool dropout (or finish early or get your GED)
  • Your trainer is Level 1, and your starter is Level 5. This means you have to pick a Class Feature (Ace Trainer, Psychic, Breeder, etc.) as your starting feat.
  • You have $3000 as starting cash. Spend it on supplies or keep it around. Oh yeah, and you get 6 (six) Poke balls and 1 (one) Great Ball.
  • Give me a list of (non-legendary) Pokemon you want.

And with starters, go nuts. Just no legendaries, base evolutions only, and if your starter is too beefy, I'm gonna nerf him a bit. I'll also give them an egg move or something if they start out with no attacking moves, like Abra.

Any craaaaaazy rules you're using?
Yeah a couple, mostly Marsh's and maybe more as the game goes on.
  • Pokemon have a hit point total equal to (10 + HP stat x 3 + level), Nice little boost that helps your early Pokes not get killed.
  • I'm gonna be using Marsh's breeding rules, found here. Lets us not spend as much time knee deep in Pokefuckin', or whatever the hell they do.
  • I'm not gonna tone down any weapon attack values, but I do reserve the right to have that Nidoking you're punching snap your spine in two.
  • Non-Potion and Non-Berry healing items, Fresh Waters, Soda Pops, Lava Cookies, and the like are gonna be kinda rare. Kinda really rare.

Some links for you that I stole from Rawk's OP
The Penny Arcade Pokemon Adventures Wiki: Contains info on other active games and characters/pokemon in them, a good read if you're bored and want to see what other people have done.

Meet the Classes: Contains useful descriptions of all basic and advanced classes.
Items List (note that Fresh Water, Soda Pop, and Lemonade will only be purchasable in certain locations, and not during character creation)
Main Features: An outdated, incomplete list of the features that contains the versions of the Arms features that the game will start with. (Exception: Rangers are gifted Short Blades User for free, as added in the latest update).

Now, GIVE ME YOUR APPS! Oh right, and posts are gonna be in Dark Orange.

Shock G on

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh dear.

Edit: Gonna make a martial artist, calling it right now.

Marshmallow on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Multitasking chain weapons user imo.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am the having a spoiler overdose as Al would say

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I am spoiled basically

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    well that looks a lot better

never make your op on 4 hours of sleep

Shock G on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Y-you're doing this?
    You're making it....?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    commence?

Shock G on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    dang spoilers

Squall on
    edited November 2010
    Shock G wrote: »
    Now, GIVE ME YOUR APPS! Oh right, and posts are gonna be in Dark Orange.

Not only stealing the concept, but the darn text color too? :x

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    oh goddamnit whatever it looks good

Shock G on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As I said in IRC, I'll see how the submissions for this go before I submit any characters.

Terrendos on
    edited November 2010
    The front window of Team Pyre HQ smashes inward, showering the shiny, tiled floor with shards of glass as the guard dives behind the front desk, pulling a Pokeball from his belt. Hearing the sound of footsteps running down the street outside, he swings up to his feet, throwing arm at the ready in case of any assault, but the only thing he sees peering over the desk is a half-brick with something white and grubby rubberbanded to it laying on the ground.

Scanning the area suspiciously, he carefully walks out from behind cover and picks the thing up, removes the paper and unfolds it.

DakotaApp2.png

He pulls the taped up keys free from the application with a jingle, giving them a harsh look.

"What the hell?"
    Dakota Bisbee
    Level: 1
    Hometown: Goldenrod City

STR 15 [+2]
    DEX 16 [+3]
    CON 10 [+0]
    INT 6 [-4]
    WIS 8 [-2]
    CHA 10 [+0]

Base Class: Martial Artist
    Features: Improved Combat, Improved Endurance, Blade Weapons, Blunt Weapons, Chain Weapons, Fist Weapons, and Pole Weapons User

Incredibly hyper-active, amazingly friendly, and capriciously amoral, Dakota pays the bills by running errands wherever they might be found or coerced. Regardless of whether said errand is a simple delivery, a burglary, or violent corporate espionage, she approaches each with the same cheery naivety that makes her successes somewhat hard to believe.

Maneki
    Species: Meowth
    Ability: Pickup
    Nature: Hardy
    Characteristic: Thoroughly Cunning

HP: 4 + 1 = ( 5)
    AT: 5 + 1 = ( 6)
    DF: 4 + 1 = ( 5)
    SA: 4 + 0 = ( 4)
    SD: 4 + 0 = ( 4)
    SP: 9 + 1 = (10)

Moves: Growl, Scratch
    Capabilities: Overland 3, Surface 2, Jump 4, Power 1, Intelligence 4, Tracker, Stealth

An old, streetwise tomcat with burn scars on his face, a missing eye, and a mean streak a mile wide. Makes up for his advanced age with pure viciousness and animal cunning. Dakota adores him, "he's just a big fuzzy softie, really".

Marshmallow on
  • DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dammit Marsh, you've got visual aids and everything.

DJP3710 on
    edited November 2010
    I like to do things properly.

Everyone else is just going to have to settle for second place.

Marshmallow on
  • DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    But you used emoticons, man, emoticons! Nobody can top that! It'll just be your character at the summit and nobody else around for miles!

DJP3710 on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gawd-damn Marsh....

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited November 2010
    I demand you all top the catgirl

Shock G on
    edited November 2010
    We cannot do it. We cannot top the girl.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SHE IS INSURMOUNTABLE

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Capfalcon on
    edited November 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »

A bittersweet victory, at best. It's lonely at the top.

Marshmallow on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shock G you're going to let me play this game right

it's not really a question

T4CT on
    edited November 2010
    that depends tact

are you willing to challenge Marsh?

Shock G on
    edited November 2010
    are you saying I have to do a better signup than Marsh

T4CT on
    edited November 2010
    nah just throw a motherfucker up there

Shock G on
    edited November 2010
    barney-stinson.jpg
    CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

T4CT on
    edited November 2010
    ok you're in

good job, mr. harris

Shock G on
    edited November 2010
    Finally, a worthy adversary.

Marshmallow on
    edited November 2010
    The following is a highly confidential document containing the Hoenn government's complete report on the man known as Second Lieutenant Commander Charles. And yes, his first name is Commander.

Dossier Here
    Don't copy-paste the redacted bits; they're mostly nonsense, and the stuff that's there isn't true about the character anyway.

Terrendos on
    edited November 2010
    For my actual character:

Basic Information:
    Name: Commander Charles
    Born: Classified

Stats:
    STR 14 (+2)
    CON 16 (+3)
    DEX 8 (-1)
    INT 7 (-2)
    WIS 10 (+0)
    CHA 10 (+0)

Damage Bonus: +2
    HP: 68
    Evasion Bonus: -1
    Academics: -2
    Perception: +0
    Persuasion: +0

Base Class: Ace Trainer

Features:
    Ace Trainer - Prerequisites: 13 STR, 13 CON
    Bonuses: +1 STR +1 CON
    Penalties: -2 WIS
    Features: Enhanced Training, Improved Attacks

Enhanced Training: Ace Trainer Feature
    Static
    Trigger: Your pokemon gains experience points.
    Effect: Each of your pokemon gains 1.2x the amount of experience they would gain normally. This replaces the amount of experience they would normally gain.

Improved Attacks: Ace Trainer Feature
    Static
    Trigger: Your pokemon’s damage dealing attack hits.
    Effect: When adding up damage dealt to the foe, add either half of your STR modifier or half of your CON modifier before your foes subtracts their defense or special defense from the attack.

Chain Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Ace Trainer or Ranger or Coordinator or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 16 CON
    Effect: The Trainer can use Whips, Bolas, Nunchaku, Chain Whips, Meteor Hammers, Kunai and Chain, Flails or any other Weapon that would fit into the Chain Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d10 + 2 (CON MODIFIER).

Fist Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Ace Trainer or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 STR
    Effect: The Trainer can use Gauntlets, Brass Knuckles, Cestus, Tessen, Cat Claws, Fan, Katar, Chakrams, Tonfa and any other Weapon that would fit into the Fist Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d8 + 2 (STR MODIFIER).

Background:
    Several years ago, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they claim they didn't commit. One of these men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Lilycove City underground. Today, still wanted by the government, he survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... Commander Charles.

Starting Pokemon:
    Name: Corporal
    Species: Bagon
    Ability: Rock Head
    Nature: Jolly
    Level: 5

Inventory:
    Pokedex
    P$850
    2x Great Ball
    6x Poke Balls
    2x Potion
    2x Antidote
    1x Paralyz Heal

Wanted Pokemon
    Gible
    Houndour
    Horsea
    Gyarados (Magikarp)
    Chimchar
    Dratini
    Trapinch
    Vulpix
    Numel

Terrendos on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've always been confused on whether or not there are actually guns in the Pokemon world. I vaguely remember one episode of the cartoon that had a gun in it, but that's about it...

Capfalcon on
    edited November 2010
    Indeed there was, it got banned pretty quick though.

Something about Team Rocket threatening dudes with guns and Ash getting a revolver aimed at his face was deemed inappropriate for the kiddies.

I imagine if you wanted to make a case for guns being in your campaign or not you could find suitable support for either.

Marshmallow on
    edited November 2010
    Keys still tightly in hand, the unlucky guard finishes reading the note, shrugging his shoulders, if only to himself, before dropping the grubby note into a small, lightly populated paper bin labeled 'APPLICATIONS'. Muttering something to the Janitor about a broken window and glass everywhere and get your ass over here now dammit, the guard makes his way back to his desk, only just about to sit down again.

A single loud *KLACK* can be heard throughout the mostly empty main room, reflexes once again putting the guard's hand hovering over a small pokeball. Slowly, he makes his way to the door, pulling it open cautiously, and poking a head out.

Doorstep cleared, the guard steps outside, scratching his head for a bit, before noticing a small, golden envelope tucked into the mailbox.

YoSup.png

A small smile appearing in the corner of his mouth, the as-of-yet-unnamed guard tucks a few of the bills into his shirt pocket, before walking back inside, a jolly whistle clear as he closes the door.
    Terrence Mathews
    Hometown: Lillycove

STR 6 [-2]
    DEX 8 [-1]
    CON 15 [+2]
    INT 10 [0]
    WIS 10 [0]
    CHA 16 [+3]

Base Class: Coordinator
    Features:

Improved Income
    Static
    Trigger: You win a Contest.
    Effect: You gain 1.5x the amount of prize value instead of the normal amount you would win.

Natural Grace
    Static
    Trigger: You enter a Contest.
    Effect: X is half of your CHA or CON modifiers. Add Xd4 to your pokemon’s appearance appeal in the first round of a Contest.

Raised on his father's small (huge) fortune, Terrence was a brat from the beginning. While possessing an amazing aptitude for style as well as battling technique, most of it is wasted away with his enormous ego, as well as general disregard for morals. He also has some daddy issues to boot.

Enrolled in a prestigious academy in his early preteens, Terrence graduated top of his class, ending his time there with a very condescending speech, mooning the crowd, and a cloud of mysteriously copious exploding Koffing. Shortly after, Mathews was accepted to an even more prestigious private college, mostly because his father was the university's prime benefactor. Over the next two years, Terrence attended exactly zero classes, instead opting to drink heavily, have lots and lots of really kinky sex, and battle for money, pokemon, and further drinks. Seeing how fast Dahmer could shishkabob a Caterpie was a favorite party trick.

After spending literally all of his allowed spending money on clothes, condoms, nail files, and of course, liquor over the course of these two years, Terrence was told he had to get a job, at least until his dad bought out the stupid fucking phone company who kept sending him all these stupid fucking bills.

Species: Sneasel
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Nature: Adamant
    Characteristic: A Little Quick Tempered

HP: 6 + 1 = (7)
    Atk: 12 +2 = (14)
    Def: 6 + 0 = (6)
    Sp.Atk: 2 + 0 = (2)
    Sp.Def: 8 + 0 = (8)
    Speed: 12 + 1 = (13)

Moves: Scratch, Leer, Taunt
    Capabilities: Overland 4, Surface 2, Jump 3, Power 3, Intelligence 4, Icestep, Stealth

Gifted to him from an even richer family friend, Dahmer and Terr first met at the boy's 8th birthday.

Terr then procceded to battle his friends in an on-the-spot tournament, winner takes all. Seven were seriously injured, only 4 of them actually being pokemon. Terrence 'collected' the rest.

Suffice to say, they were immediately friends for life.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited November 2010
    A small smile appearing in the corner of his mouth, the guard, let's name him Matthew, tucks [strike]a few of[/strike] all of the bills into his back pocket, before walking back inside, and throwing the application on an interns desk.

looks good, Tomms

Shock G on
    edited November 2010
    i'm almost done i promise

T4CT on
    edited November 2010
    So unoriginal, Tommy. Sending in a job application? Obviously they sent a corporate headhunter out to find Commander.

Terrendos on
    edited November 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So unoriginal, Tommy. Sending in a job application? Obviously they sent a corporate headhunter out to find Commander.

whatever, Terr

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited November 2010
    It's okay bro, you're still cool in my book.

Terrendos on
    edited November 2010
    editing video is unpleasant sometimes

T4CT on
    edited November 2010
    I know the OP says 12:00 GMT, but that actually means WheneverthehellIwakeuptomorrow o'clock

so whatever degenerates actually wanna join this game you probably have like 12 hours

Shock G on