As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The passing of a legend.

TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonightHas stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Social Entropy++
Today, a man died.

DaveNeihaus.jpg

That man's name is Dave Niehaus, he was the voice of the Seattle Mariners baseball club since their inception back in 1977. Coincidentally, that was the year I was born. This man was the voice of the baseball team that I have loved for better and for worse throughout my life. Every win, every loss, every grand salami where grandma was required to get out the rye bread and the mustard, Dave was there.

I am really not that much of a "sports guy" in the deep meaning of that phrase, but this is the man who is the only hall of fame inductee to be a part of our home team. I have enjoyed his calls for as long as I can remember.

I think that we can all recall the passing of a legend in our own lives, and I want to dedicate this thread to this man, as well as anyone whose passing has affected anyone else in a similar fashion.

Tonight, I raise my glass in salute, to Dave Niehaus.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
Tonkka on

• MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, this guy played a huge part in nearly every Washingtonians childhood. 1995 was a good year to be a Mariners fan, and Dave was certainly a big reason for it.

I'll have a grand salami in his memory sometime soon.

MereHappenstance on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    nooo shit, does this mean they can't make Madden games anymore

Franko on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow Franko, fuck off.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah that'll make him stop

Raneados on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rule of three..............

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    November 2010

[edit]11
    Dino De Laurentiis, 91, Italian Academy Award-winning film producer. [1]
    [edit]10
    Giannis Drosos, 76, Greek journalist. [2] (Greek)
    Jim Farry, 55, Scottish football administrator, Chief Executive of the Scottish Football Association (1990–1999), heart attack. [3]
    Nikos Lambadaris, 59, Greek politician. [4] (Greek)
    Tiger Lance, 70, South African cricketer, injuries from a car accident. [5]
    Dave Niehaus, 75, American sportscaster (Seattle Mariners), heart attack. [6]
    Nicolo Rizzuto, 86, Italian-born Canadian mafia leader (Rizzuto crime family), shot. [7]
    [edit]9
    Gregorio Barradas Miravete, 28, Mexican politician, Mayor-elect of Rodríguez Clara, Veracruz, murdered. [8]
    John Jerome Cunneen, 78, Roman Catholic Bishop of Christchurch, New Zealand (1995–2007). [9]

pick 3

L|ama on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thought this was going top be a pooping thread.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    sparky of detroit tigers fame is dead too

old black guy in orange hat of red wings attendance fame? dead

we mourn you, old black guy in orange hat

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I hear you Tonkka. RIP Dave, you'll be missed. Fuck the haters.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I felt the same when Harry Kalas died. Phillies baseball just doesn't sound the same without him.

Hunter on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    old black guy in orange hat is not some absurdly racial thing i said for the sake of it. at the end of every red wings game, they'd zoom in on that dude's face every time. he attended hella games, i guess

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    November 2010

[edit]11
    [edit]10
    Jim Farry, 55, Scottish football administrator, Chief Executive of the Scottish Football Association (1990–1999), heart attack. [3]
    Nicolo Rizzuto, 86, Italian-born Canadian mafia leader (Rizzuto crime family), shot. [7]
    [edit]9
    Gregorio Barradas Miravete, 28, Mexican politician, Mayor-elect of Rodríguez Clara, Veracruz, murdered. [8]
    John Jerome Cunneen, 78, Roman Catholic Bishop of Christchurch, New Zealand (1995–2007). [9]

pick 3

Canadian mafia?

Pffffffffffff.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Noooooooooo, I love this guy! He is so synonymous with the Mariners!

Bye bye, baseball...

Wombat!! on
  • ZobmieZobmie SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If anyone wants to attend, "The Seattle Mariners will open Safeco Field from noon-3 p.m. PT on Saturday for an open house so fans can gather to reflect and share memories of departed Hall of Fame broadcaster Dave Niehaus, who died Wednesday at the age of 75.

The event is an informal opportunity for fans to remember Niehaus this week. Plans for a formal memorial celebration are pending, and the club will release details as soon as a final decision is made on that in conjunction with his family.

Fans may enter Saturday's open house through the Home Plate entrance and then will be invited to sign a remembrance book for the Niehaus family, view memorabilia of his Hall of Fame career and share memories."

Also "710 ESPN Seattle and News Talk 97.3 KIRO FM, the radio home of the Mariners, will broadcast game 5 of the 1995 American League Division Series in tribute to the Hall of Fame broadcaster Dave Niehaus Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 12noon."

Zobmie on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    aw dang

I don't even like baseball, really, but he was a big part of my childhood, that voice in the background

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seattle thread.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited November 2010
    What are you even doing in here? Did you ego search 2 point conversion or something?

Aneurhythmia on
  • That Guy ThereThat Guy There Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was in middle school when the Mariners made their run for the World Series, I think they lost to the Yankees? I was grounded at the time for something stupid I don't remember, we weren't a sports family by any means but my mom would let me watch them play on tv out of some hometown hero feelings of sentiment. Dave Niehaus was the voice that I put to the Mariners from that day forward and that whole series and his voice has always stuck with me. Sad times.

That Guy There on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know him but he's no Harry Caray. Let's make this a Harry Caray thread instead.

SeñorAmor on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What are you talking about?

SeñorAmor on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm a Braves fan and we lost Skip Caray last year.

I know how you feel. Condolences.

ASimPerson on
    edited November 2010
    I think it was two years ago now, but yeah, I'd basically echo Rank's sentiments in regards to Skip.

Aneurhythmia on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not to distract from the Mariners fans mourning (my condolences), but I would like to draw everybody's attention to two things in this thread that might otherwise be overlooked.

1. There is mafia in Canada. Italian mafia, in Montreal.

2. There was a guy named Tiger Lance.

Gaslight on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    November 2010

[edit]11
    [edit]10
    [edit]9

pick 3

Canadian mafia?

Pffffffffffff.

I just went to wikipedia's page for 'deaths in 2010'. The whole 'rule of 3' thing really annoys me because it's the most obvious example of confirmation bias ever.

L|ama on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They don't even list the cause of death for Nikos Lambadaris

It just says "Greek Politician"

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Thought this was going top be a pooping thread.

See this made me laugh.

I wish i could make that thing at Safeco on Saturday, too bad I am working during that time.

Tonkka on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think it was two years ago now, but yeah, I'd basically echo Rank's sentiments in regards to Skip.

You're right, it was.

Dang it I'm not supposed to be old enough for all the years to start running together!

ASimPerson on